ADVERTISEMENT

Actively Recruiting?

DC_Area_Panther

Head Coach
Jul 7, 2001
As far as we know it seems that at this time Capel is only actively recruiting the following 2019 class non-grad transfer players--

Diallo 7-0 C
Sy 6-10 C/PF (JUCO)
and
Nkamhoua 6-8 PF/SF

No other names appear to be actively on the radar despite fan concerns about needing replacements or upgrades for guards and wings with JWF and Kham Davis gone and N'dir's status being unknown (likely gone). It raises a couple of questions--

1. Does Capel take all 3 of Diallo, Sy and Nkamhoua if he can get them?

2. Will Capel depend solely on the grad transfer market for replacements for JWF, Davis and N'Dir?

Last edited:
Does Niven Glover get an offer with Kham's departure?

Here are a few transfers I've seen with Pittsburgh mentioned in the schools of player interest:

-Pat Andree, Lehigh, 6'8 F (Grad Transfer): 12.9 ppg, 6.2 reb, 42% 3-pt

-Anthony Duruji, Louisiana Tech, 6'7 F (2 Years left, would sit out next year): 12.2 ppg, 6.2 reb, 1.2 blk

-Darius McNeill, California, 6'3 G (2 Years left, would sit out next year): 11 ppg, 39.1% fg, 34.9% 3-pt

Reactions: Ronnyp91 and gary2
Thanks.

That seems to suggest the possibility that Capel may not be too concerned about replacing JWF as a 3-point shooter with any other player than true frosh Drumgoole.

Does it also suggest the possibility that a recovered from injury Aiken Jr. could be an adequate replacement for N'Dir if N'Dir doesn't get a 6th year?

In any event, we probably won't know much more until the spring signing period next month or perhaps not until after coaching changes settle out in June or later.

Last edited:
Here are a few transfers I've seen with Pittsburgh mentioned in the schools of player interest:

-Pat Andree, Lehigh, 6'8 F (Grad Transfer): 12.9 ppg, 6.2 reb, 42% 3-pt

-Anthony Duruji, Louisiana Tech, 6'7 F (2 Years left, would sit out next year): 12.2 ppg, 6.2 reb, 1.2 blk

-Darius McNeill, California, 6'3 G (2 Years left, would sit out next year): 11 ppg, 39.1% fg, 34.9% 3-pt

Also the grad transfer from Bucknell.

Reactions: dukedevilz
That's right. Getting Nate Sestina would be huge. 15.8 ppg, 8.5 reb, 1.1 blk, 53.6% fg, 38% 3-pt. A big that can rebound and shoot...

Yes, forgot him--I suppose because I believe Kentucky was showing interest which, I suppose, made me mentally write that possibility off.

Yes, forgot him--I suppose because I believe Kentucky was showing interest which, I suppose, made me mentally write that possibility off.

True. It might be hard to sway him away from a blue blood. I assume Montgomery and Richards will both be back, and probably starting. But, I think he'd likely be the first big off the bench and still see a solid 15+ minutes a game.

True. It might be hard to sway him away from a blue blood. I assume Montgomery and Richards will both be back, and probably starting. But, I think he'd likely be the first big off the bench and still see a solid 15+ minutes a game.

Have somewhat similar thoughts on Khadim Sy since Tennessee is reportedly interested. Considering their current tournament success plus their coach's history of run-ins with the NCAA over recruiting I wonder how realistic our chances actually are?

Reactions: Kaywood105

No one for Kentucky can shoot. That did them in again. It looks like he is looking to address that with someone with experience instead of some high school 5 star that will be a freshman next year that falls apart in the tourney Herro was 1-5 from 3 point range and the team was 5 for 21.

I think we already have the wings to “replace” JWF (to the extent that you can) with Drumgoole and Champagnie. Drumgoole, in particular, seems to have a similar game and frame to JWF.

We’ve also been mentioned as a party that’s inquired about Kira Lewis (sit one play three) from Alabama. There will be more high school recruits that will almost certainly reopen their recruiting after the coaching carousel swirls, too - remember this time last year we didn’t have any of our current freshmen.

I am interested of course in the intermediate to longer term recruiting picture to see what the active roster will look like in the 2021-22 season and beyond.

However, I am more intersted in the immediate picture of what that active roster can/will look like for the 2019-2020 season.

That makes me less interested in transfer in prospects who will need to sit a year before playing.

So, right now the remaining picture for next season recruit wise (at least what is current public knowledge) appears solely and entirely focused on guys 6-8 and taller. True freshmen Drumgoole and Champagnie appear to be the only recruits we know of so far who will be available to backfill the roles vacated by JWF, Davis and N'Dir.

Should this be a concern considering that our hope as fans is to see a team next season that gets to a winning overall record and at least the NCAA bubble or NIT while playing a more challenging schedule?

Last edited:
2 big targets out there that I'd like to see Capel at least reach out to:

Grad transfers and immediately eligible:
Lamar Kimble from St. Joe's
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/3911628

Big time scorer, likely sit 1 year and have 2 remaining:
David Jenkins Jr from South Dakota State
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/4279527/david-jenkins

Both probably long shots, but both guys that could definitely help, especially Kimble next year if N'Dir is not back.

Just a question to anyone who would know....

The Andree kid from Lehigh, is he related to the former ND Center, Tim Andree? And the Kimble kid from St Joes, is he related to Greg Kimble ex LMU star?

They would be the right age, and Kimble was from Philly if I can remember.

2 big targets out there that I'd like to see Capel at least reach out to:

Grad transfers and immediately eligible:
Lamar Kimble from St. Joe's
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/3911628

Big time scorer, likely sit 1 year and have 2 remaining:
David Jenkins Jr from South Dakota State
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/4279527/david-jenkins

Both probably long shots, but both guys that could definitely help, especially Kimble next year if N'Dir is not back.
Would love to nab Kimble. We need to get back in that Philly pipeline.

Reactions: KR519
I’m not sure, but I don’t think Lamarr Kimble at St Joes is not the son of Bo Kimble who played with Hank Gathers at LMU. But he is damn good and his coached was fired so it would be great to see him transfer to Pitt for sure

well pg wise looks like pitt is going hard after Nova transfer for PG
The Quinerly kid technically has to sit next season as a transfer. Given the NCAA lately, nothing is certain, but it would not be a particularly smart move on Quinerly's part to come in and compete with a 1st team All-ACC PG.

X has been quoted as saying he's not planning to be a 4 year player. If he plays well as a SO, he might well go into the draft after two seasons, which could give Quineroy a path to the starting job after sitting out this coming season.

But, we still need a back-up PG this Fall.

Last edited:
The Quinerly kid technically has to sit next season as a transfer. Given the NCAA lately, nothing is certain, but it would not be a particularly smart move on Quinerly's part to come in and compete with a 1st team All-ACC PG.

X has been quoted as saying he's not planning to be a 4 year player. If he plays well as a SO, he might well go into the draft after two seasons, which could give Quineroy a path to the starting job after sitting out this coming season.

Yep. But it is still unknown if N'Dir could return.

Sy is visiting Ole Miss April 26. I never feel great when competing with an $EC school for a recruit

I like X, but I think he has a long way to go to be considered anywhere in the nba draft. Maybe late first or second if he really improves. I look at his game and just don’t see lottery pick ever in his future. Hopefully he gets good advice along the way and doesn’t jeopardize his professional or college career

Reactions: Pitt5593 and gary2
His teammate is already committed to ole miss as well.

Definitely interesting. I wonder how much stock it'll matter to him about the possibility of playing with his teammate.
Want to say it won't affect him too much, but you never know.

Reactions: Drew1208
Definitely interesting. I wonder how much stock it'll matter to him about the possibility of playing with his teammate.

I don't think it really matters. It will come down to if Ole Miss ponies up. A guy like him gets about $30K or so. If they do, that's where he will go.

Wasn't he only at Prolific Prep for one season? I doubt having a high school teammate that he met a year ago on the team is much of big deal to him.

I don't understand Juco recruiting at all. A lot of aspects make little sense to me.
Some guys are rated highly, in good conferences, with great numbers and seem to have no one interested.
I dunno. It's all weird to me.

N'Dir is rumored to want to go play overseas, if he has the opportunity he has to take it

Well, he has personally said he wanted to come back for another year. Did you see or hear that quote about playing overseas from him?

As far as we know it seems that at this time Capel is only actively recruiting the following 2019 class non-grad transfer players--

Diallo 7-0 C
Sy 6-10 C/PF (JUCO)
and
Nkamhoua 6-8 PF/SF

No other names appear to be actively on the radar despite fan concerns about needing replacements or upgrades for guards and wings with JWF and Kham Davis gone and N'dir's status being unknown (likely gone). It raises a couple of questions--

1. Does Capel take all 3 of Diallo, Sy and Nkamhoua if he can get them?

2. Will Capel depend solely on the grad transfer market for replacements for JWF, Davis and N'Dir?
I would like to see some official visits getting scheduled. Players I think we may be involved with:

Kimble - grad Trf St. Joes
Sueing/McNeil - Trf Cal
Hazard - grad Trf - Cal Irvine
Quinerly - Trf Nova
Crabtree - Trf Tulane
Duruji - Trf La Tech

I think that could be an additional surprise or two

I would like to see some official visits getting scheduled. Players I think we may be involved with:

Kimble - grad Trf St. Joes
Sueing/McNeil - Trf Cal
Hazard - grad Trf - Cal Irvine
Quinerly - Trf Nova
Crabtree - Trf Tulane
Duruji - Trf La Tech

I think that could be an additional surprise or two

My sentiments/thoughts exactly. Would be nice to see some GT/Transfer movement in the coming weeks, into May probably. A semester at Pitt beings in May, so possibly then.

With so many scholarships open, possibly 1-2 will be taken. Maybe 1-2 more HS and a Juco?? Could hold one for 2020 too.

My sentiments/thoughts exactly. Would be nice to see some GT/Transfer movement in the coming weeks, into May probably. A semester at Pitt beings in May, so possibly then.

With so many scholarships open, possibly 1-2 will be taken. Maybe 1-2 more HS and a Juco?? Could hold one for 2020 too.

Happy, of course, for any quality additions be they JUCOs, grad transfers, transfers who need to sit a year.

However, I'm still holding out hope that the active roster for next season can be improved enough to get us at, or just over, a 0.500 record overall. Given the more difficult schedule compared to this year's that will, IMO, require the addition of at least one more (preferably two) decent or better bigs. Having only Brown, Chukwuka and Coulibaly won't cut it, IMHO. Just my opinion, however.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT