ADVERTISEMENT

Again, I want a roll call with explanation. When Capel was hired....what were your thoughts?

Once Hurley took the UConn job it seemed like a minor miracle when Lyke hired Capel. I would have categorized it as a great hire at the time. I won't fault her for the hire at all, but as The Insider pointed out above, that contract extension is looking unwise right now.

Reactions: PittPoker
I don’t want her fired for hiring Capel. It was obviously a good hire at the time. I want her fired for extending 2 coaches when there was no one clamoring for their services and setting the programs back multiple years because she had her eyes on a big ten AD job.

If you wait until others start clamoring for their services though, you're running behind. I didn't really have a problem with the Narduzzi extension given the recent history in the football program. I think the length of the extension was absurd coming o

If you wait until others start clamoring for their services though, you're running behind. I didn't really have a problem with the Narduzzi extension given the recent history in the football program. I think the length of the extension was absurd coming o
So what? There’s certain jobs we aren’t gonna fend off anyways. Do you think there’s another ACC job that was gonna hire Capel other than Duke? And if they come he’s gone anyways. So the extension was beyond dumb.

Reactions: PittPoker
I chuckle at people says Capel has lost his entire first recruiting class - it wasn't like he had the luxury of attracting recruits to a top ten program. Pitt was coming off a winless conference record. Maybe what Capel had to grab wasn't all that talented nor good teammates. I will let this play out before I start bashing him or Lyke.

I chuckle at people says Capel has lost his entire first recruiting class - it wasn't like he had the luxury of attracting recruits to a top ten program. Pitt was coming off a winless conference record. Maybe what Capel had to grab wasn't all that talented nor good teammates. I will let this play out before I start bashing him or Lyke.
What you’re saying is true. But he was also praised and given a contract extension mostly based on that first class. You can’t have it both ways

I thought it was an absolute home-run hire. One of the few hires that could’ve been made to instantly rejuvenate interest in Pitt basketball.

Reactions: Jeffburgh
Where was he gonna go? Michigan State? Literally no one else was gonna hire that gym teacher.

Seriously? Graham and Chryst were able to bolt with near .500 records. And I would think Sparty fans would prefer Duzzi over Mel Tucker.

Have you seen some of the hires in college football? If he put his name out there, I'm sure he could find a comparable gig.

Not now. Not with the information of the last few years. But then. Alot of you want to fire Lyke because she hired Capel. But at the time.......what did you think? Great hire? Good hire? Meh? Bad hire? Dumpster Fire?

Answer honestly with some explanation.

Honestly, I thought it was a "great" hire at the time. Not good, great. Now I am being proven to be wrong, but that's fine, just trying to be honest. First of all we know where we were as a program, we know how Jamie was handled didn't sit so well in the coaching community. Nate Oats wasn't coming. Sean Miller wasn't allowed to be hired. He was blocked and everything that has happened the last few years shows that to have been a smart move. Plus, I see Miller more like his old coach, Paul Evans, they can recruit guys, but their teams are usually a mess. Mark Schmidt didn't move any one's needle. Danny Hurley was the other "guy", but he chose UConn. He hasn't been overwhelming as a success either.

Capel was to me, a great hire. ACC roots, #1 seat next to the Pope. Former HC. Great recruiter. Great personality. A salesman and PR dream as compared to the last two coaches in a city that is fine ignoring basketball. He embraced the city immediately. His recruiting class was a miracle.

But obviously something went amiss quickly. I don't know if he is all candy shell and nothing inside or what. But the hire obviously doesn't look good. But what say you? None of this revisionist history, what were your thoughts?
I thought it was a fantastic hire, and I still do.

Reactions: TJFAIRLIE
Capel getting X, Trey and Toney to come to a winless program in less than 6 weeks after getting the job was a fantastic recruiting haul. The people critical of his recruiting (and some of the criticism is definitely warranted) don’t seem to give him enough credit for nabbing those guys. However, to your point, when you are in hurry up mode you are going for the best talent you can find without much regard for the type of character they have. I’m not saying they are bad kids, but X, Trey and Toney were all annointed as starters early on and knew the coach had no choice but to play them no matter what. Perhaps after 2 or 3 years, Capel realized that those guys weren’t really buying into his program values and development of others because they were crowned as the building blocks of the program from their first arrival.

Under the Circumstances, I thought it was a great hire. It was embarrassing to watch coach after coach showing no interest in the job. Those that did, only used Pitt to get a pay raise or a better job.

It was apparent to me that these coaches wanted no part of the ACC, unless it was a premier program.

Fast forward to today, I still haven’t given up on Capel, but he needs to look in the portal and get some kids in here who are team players, fast. In the meantime, fans have to be patient.

It sounds like we should add him to our coaching staff.

I literally will not buy any excuse on Jeff Capel, none, if he doesn't have a big time class in 2022. The amount of stars next to the kids name is irrelevant. There is substantial D1 talent to be had that can contribute immediately from day 1 in this class. Capel striking out in 2022 will only have himself to blame / his staff to the blame. Our recruiting territories are fertile and absolutely loaded and there is clear talent to be really excited about "if" we get these players.

As for Coach Pete, he has a lot of potential. I would certainly keep the door open.

Reactions: WannyandWalt
When word came out on Capel, it was great. His first press conference was great. His pedigree and experience seemed to check all the boxes, and he had just came off recruiting Zion, the best college player in the game.
This may have caused a little bit of a problem. He landed Zion more because of Coach K and Duke, and less because of his own recruiting prowess. For his second and third classes he may have been too optimistic about who he could lure to Pitt. Hopefully he resets his priorities a bit and focuses more on 75 to 150 type guys. Hugley didn't work out, but that is about where he should be recruiting.

I was thrilled with his hire at the time, and still am okay with him. He got the most talented guys that he could with his first class, maybe despite having some reservations of them as team players. I think he deserves two more years. Lots of good coaches who took over teams that were better than 0-18 were heavily criticized after their first few years.

The recruiting class and results in Year 1 were far better than I would've expected the day Stallings was fired. Everything since then has been a disappointment.

we've seen improvement in the program every year, but it is literally the bare minimum, not even close to a quantum leap. Winnable games were lost, and the record the past three Februaries speaks for itself. Overall Capel grade is a C-.

Reactions: levance2
I thought it was a good hire ,but, I did (do) not like the fact that he played at Duke, recruited to Duke, recruited under a legend. I believe what you learn at Duke won't apply at most places. I coached and played enough to realize, its not the x's and o's, its the Michaels and Joes, in other words, there is no formula, you have to know enough basketball to tweak your game plan to make the best use of players, so I worried that he would not be able to recruit anywhere near the level he had been and still try the same schemes, etc. I would have preferred a scrappier "upbringing"for this job.

I thought it was a good hire ,but, I did (do) not like the fact that he played at Duke, recruited to Duke, recruited under a legend. I believe what you learn at Duke won't apply at most places. I coached and played enough to realize, its not the x's and o's, its the Michaels and Joes, in other words, there is no formula, you have to know enough basketball to tweak your game plan to make the best use of players, so I worried that he would not be able to recruit anywhere near the level he had been and still try the same schemes, etc. I would have preferred a scrappier "upbringing"for this job.
You make an excellent point. You want a coach who has been successful with fewer resources. I like the last sentence as well.

You guys act like Capel was going to conduct a thorough psychological profile on McGowens, Johnson, and Toney if he had more time to recruit in that first class. Those are guys he correctly brought in and would do so 100 times out of 100. The problem is the culture that he lets prevail (at least until it's past the point of no return). Listen to Horton talk... does he scream "head case" to anyone? He's about as well-spoken as it gets. And, next thing you know, he's stomping around the court and getting thrown out of games.

Capel's recruiting probably needs to be a lot better, but it's still not his biggest problem.

I thought he was a good hire and was glad to get him.

What's worrying is that Pitt may just be closer to BC and NC State in the college basketball firmament than to UNC. Many through Dixon under achieved and someone else could get us to a next level. Maybe we were punching far above our weight.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
I thought it was a decent hire, and was generally happy with it. I did want Nate Oats though as my first choice. That said, I figured that maybe Capel picked up some additional knowledge in his second go-round as an assistant, after being a head coach at 2 places. Figured he'd have learned more in his second stint, and where he maybe went wrong in his head coaching. I certainly thought he'd be able to recruit better talent than Stallings, and even Jamie.
In retrospect, I just don't think that getting an assistant from an elite program is the tried and tested ticket to success it would seem to be. The coaching trees of such programs have just not produced the fruit that you'd think they would have. I'm more convinced than ever that longer term success (and not just one isolated elite 8 run) as head coaches at smaller D1 programs are perhaps a better source and predicter of success at the higher / P5 program level.

I thought he was a good hire and was glad to get him.

What's worrying is that Pitt may just be closer to BC and NC State in the college basketball firmament than to UNC. Many through Dixon under achieved and someone else could get us to a next level. Maybe we were punching far above our weight.

I do appreciate the acknowledgement, and this is not directed at you, but it's amazing how many folks seem to be realizing this now, when there were more than a few of us trying to tell everyone that back then. Those of us that were around for the football success of the Majors/Sherill years were all very well versed in the fact that with the wrong choice or choices, you could very quickly and irreversibly be doing a whole lot worse, and it may be damn near impossible to regain that status ever again.

The recruiting class and results in Year 1 were far better than I would've expected the day Stallings was fired. Everything since then has been a disappointment.

Agreed. To get those 3 so quick with no link to any of them before he took the job was extremely impressive. However, they are 3 of the 5 best recruits (on paper) that he has gotten in 4 classes. Usually that first FULL class is strong but it was a dud.

You guys act like Capel was going to conduct a thorough psychological profile on McGowens, Johnson, and Toney if he had more time to recruit in that first class. Those are guys he correctly brought in and would do so 100 times out of 100. The problem is the culture that he lets prevail (at least until it's past the point of no return). Listen to Horton talk... does he scream "head case" to anyone? He's about as well-spoken as it gets. And, next thing you know, he's stomping around the court and getting thrown out of games.

Capel's recruiting probably needs to be a lot better, but it's still not his biggest problem.
The Horton episode was extremely odd.

Reactions: PharMorNightStocker
I thought Coach Capel was an excellent hire. I was hoping we’d hire a black man, for the recruiting side of things. And the man can actually talk without all the annoying “you know” crap...

When he hired his brother, that bothered me. Probably mainly because we had just seen Coach Suzie crash and burn, despite her impeccable credentials, with her sister as her top assistant...

Go Pitt.

Not now. Not with the information of the last few years. But then. Alot of you want to fire Lyke because she hired Capel. But at the time.......what did you think? Great hire? Good hire? Meh? Bad hire? Dumpster Fire?

Honestly, I thought it was a "great" hire at the time. Not good, great. Now I am being proven to be wrong, but that's fine, just trying to be honest. First of all we know where we were as a program, we know how Jamie was handled didn't sit so well in the coaching community. Nate Oats wasn't coming. Sean Miller wasn't allowed to be hired. He was blocked and everything that has happened the last few years shows that to have been a smart move. Plus, I see Miller more like his old coach, Paul Evans, they can recruit guys, but their teams are usually a mess. Mark Schmidt didn't move any one's needle. Danny Hurley was the other "guy", but he chose UConn. He hasn't been overwhelming as a success either.

Capel was to me, a great hire. ACC roots, #1 seat next to the Pope. Former HC. Great recruiter. Great personality. A salesman and PR dream as compared to the last two coaches in a city that is fine ignoring basketball. He embraced the city immediately. His recruiting class was a miracle.

But obviously something went amiss quickly. I don't know if he is all candy shell and nothing inside or what. But the hire obviously doesn't look good. But what say you? None of this revisionist history, what were your thoughts?

i immediately thought to myself .. "now heres a guy that will propel us to 18 wins"

i seriously asked myself, "why the f is he hiring his brother and who is thinking thats a good idea?"

I thought it was a great hire under the circumstances. And there is nothing that I have “seen” or “heard” from him that makes me think he can’t run a high level program.

Maybe it’s just a few kids who just didn’t want to play with each other and has nothing to do with him. But I’m honestly perplexed and don’t know what I’m missing. Usually u would expect this from guys who where at the bottom of the roster and not getting chances to play.

When Capel was hired, I was excited and thought it was a great hire also. Now...I think it was a huge mistake. We have a coach who can't recruit and can't coach. That's not as bad as Stallings who just didn't give a s$%t, but it isn't good. Right now, I think Capel is just giving lip service to what is happening. No real substance to what he says or does. And recruits know that.

Reactions: Pitt Shambles
I just posted something similar. I think fans have a hard time admitting most coaching hires don't work. Either your guy gets fired, takes some lateral move, or is successful enough to jump at the first opportunity for a better job. There aren't many places where coaches stay for 10+ years.

How many unsuccessful women's basketball coaches have there been at Pitt? Even Agnus, who left a complete dumpster fire, was by far the most successful WBB coach we ever had. You just roll the dice and try to execute an intelligent plan, but you're far more likely to fail than succeed.

Spot on. It's a roll of the dice with these coaches. We were very fortunate that we had the run we did with Jamie. Look at what Howland did. First chance he had, he jumped ship for UCLA. Coaches are squirrely characters.

Reactions: Cavalier Panther

Terrible x and o and a very good recruiter, hoping for the best when hired

I loved the hire. I thought Heather pulled a rabbit out of the hat to get Capel to leave the security of his Duke position to take on the massive rebuild that Pitt required. I am not ready to give up on him yet. Getting a couple of bodies that can bring immediate help next year is crucial to the program moving forward IMHO. If Champ stays next year and the youngsters progress along with getting other help....well who knows.

You love him, very bias, be honest , he could lose 10 games and you would be cheering for 5 more years , correct, be honest? Bad news for you , he won't make it past 21 if he sucks like the last few, and you will morn

Like many have said on here, I was ecstatic with the hire. It brought much-needed hope in the midst of a very bleak stretch for our program. In fact, it was probably one of the better on-paper hires Pitt has made in any sport that I can recall. I still think he’s the right man for the job, and here’s why:

- We know he can recruit. Champagnie is the real deal and, regardless of the off-court issues, Johnson and Toney (and McGowens) are talented and won us games over the past three seasons. He also just brought in the 27th ranked recruiting class in 2020.
- We know he can coach. His ability to create a gameplan and beat a superior (and eventual conference champion) Florida State team last year on opening night was a fine coaching job.
- We know he can lead. We’ve had several 15+ point comebacks under his watch in games, frankly, we didn’t have any business winning. That has to take at least a little bit of inspiration to pull off.

So, we have all the pieces in place. Now it’s about putting it all together for a whole season. To me, finding that answer, whatever it may be, is much easier than starting all over again with another coach. Who else is coming through that door that’s a clear upgrade over Capel? Do we want to take that risk again at a critical point in our program’s trajectory, especially if it’s a mid-major coach?

Stay the course and let Capel carry out his vision for his program. IMO, it’s way too soon to give up on him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT