ADVERTISEMENT

Again, I want a roll call with explanation. When Capel was hired....what were your thoughts?

Spot on. It's a roll of the dice with these coaches. We were very fortunate that we had the run we did with Jamie. Look at what Howland did. First chance he had, he jumped ship for UCLA. Coaches are squirrely characters.

OK, yea, but its extremely rare to have a program blown up twice within a 5 year period without sanctions. I mean to go from the NCAAT to 0 wins in 2 years and then possibly right back to 0-3 wins 3 years later just doesnt happen.

Didn't read any of the comments. Typical off topic debates about nothing to do with topic is the norm around here.

I was excited when Capel was hired. Seemed like a great choice given the disaster under Stallings. He said the right things, had that time at Duke under K, and was genuine..

Fast forward and you have to wonder what went wrong? His entire tenure is a five alarm dumpster fire right now and he's not being honest in his public comments. Really disappointed.

Football won't suck. They will win 8 at least, imo.

UT game is the key. Should be winnable as they will just be getting started with a new regime. But it is a road OOC game, against a SEC team. Pitt has been horrid in OOC games for the past 15 years, especially road ones. So if we somehow pull that one off, I will say season has a chance to be special and maybe that elusive 10 win season. But if we lose, as expected, it will be another typical 7-5 campaign and a trip to the schmuck bowl in schmuckville.

UT game is the key. Should be winnable as they will just be getting started with a new regime. But it is a road OOC game, against a SEC team. Pitt has been horrid in OOC games for the past 15 years, especially road ones. So if we somehow pull that one off, I will say season has a chance to be special and maybe that elusive 10 win season. But if we lose, as expected, it will be another typical 7-5 campaign and a trip to the schmuck bowl in schmuckville.

That's a game PItt should win, tbh. Vols will be starting a new QB and the deep ball is not his thing. If you get in his face & put pressure on him, he's an accident waiting to happen. If Pitt doesn't go down there and beat themselves, they should win. For an SEC venue, Neyland is more like a mausoleum compared to others. (except Vandy, UK, and Mississippi schools)

Thrilled that we landed Capel. After losing out on Hurley, I didn’t think Pitt would land someone with JC’s name value.
I thought we had done even better by landing JC than Hurley because of growing up, playing, and coaching in ACC country, and especially his history with Duke.

Not now. Not with the information of the last few years. But then. Alot of you want to fire Lyke because she hired Capel. But at the time.......what did you think? Great hire? Good hire? Meh? Bad hire? Dumpster Fire?

Answer honestly with some explanation.

Honestly, I thought it was a "great" hire at the time. Not good, great. Now I am being proven to be wrong, but that's fine, just trying to be honest. First of all we know where we were as a program, we know how Jamie was handled didn't sit so well in the coaching community. Nate Oats wasn't coming. Sean Miller wasn't allowed to be hired. He was blocked and everything that has happened the last few years shows that to have been a smart move. Plus, I see Miller more like his old coach, Paul Evans, they can recruit guys, but their teams are usually a mess. Mark Schmidt didn't move any one's needle. Danny Hurley was the other "guy", but he chose UConn. He hasn't been overwhelming as a success either.

Capel was to me, a great hire. ACC roots, #1 seat next to the Pope. Former HC. Great recruiter. Great personality. A salesman and PR dream as compared to the last two coaches in a city that is fine ignoring basketball. He embraced the city immediately. His recruiting class was a miracle.

But obviously something went amiss quickly. I don't know if he is all candy shell and nothing inside or what. But the hire obviously doesn't look good. But what say you? None of this revisionist history, what were your thoughts?

I loved the hire but mainly because I thought it placed us beyond the embarrassment of the Stallings hire. Although I only expected him to be here for a few years since he seemed to be K’s replacement in waiting. But I was okay with that because I thought he would bring us to respectability pretty soon and that would make the next hire easier.

I still like him and hope he gets us past all of this garbage right now because we can’t go back out on the coaching market again right now.

But honestly within the first few games it was becoming clear to me that our offense and defense did not really have a signature style to them. That really made it hard to figure out what the team could do to win a game when you were watching it and the team was down by 10 or so. Most previous Pitt teams you could pretty readily figure out the buttons that needed to be pushed to make comebacks but not with this team.

What I am concerned with is that today’s players are way more like X and Trey and if you don’t get a true superstar AND you have a coach that is not a raving lunatic disciplinarian that maybe we will just continue to see this over and over.

I am hoping for the best but I am not sure if I can see the plan.

I chuckle at people says Capel has lost his entire first recruiting class - it wasn't like he had the luxury of attracting recruits to a top ten program. Pitt was coming off a winless conference record. Maybe what Capel had to grab wasn't all that talented nor good teammates. I will let this play out before I start bashing him or Lyke.
Great handle was at that game ! TD was the greatest college RB of all time , great vision and no one quicker through the hole !

Great coaches weren’t rushing in to take the job , JC was a great hire at the time and snagging that first class was a major coup . Unfortunately those players weren’t the kind of teammates to form a solid program around ...who knew .

If JC fails history tells us that Pitt will not hire some great highly sought after HC .

The only attraction of the job is an upgraded paycheck ! Pitt will never have the success of Big East in the ACC .

Its also prudent to remember that Pitt only wants teams that don’t embarrass them . They are not in it to win at all costs and I believe JC will still accomplish this .

Reactions: 303vND
Excited when he was hired. Didn't know a ton about his record but remembered the Elite 8 run with Blake Griffin and he seemed like a perfect coach to energize the fanbase after the Stallings debacle.

Now as most know I hate the hire, he isn't the answer here and I really don't see a path anymore for him to succeed. The only question in my mind is if he gets 5 years or 6 because Heather hired him and doesn't want that failure on her legacy.

Excited when he was hired. Didn't know a ton about his record but remembered the Elite 8 run with Blake Griffin and he seemed like a perfect coach to energize the fanbase after the Stallings debacle.

Now as most know I hate the hire, he isn't the answer here and I really don't see a path anymore for him to succeed. The only question in my mind is if he gets 5 years or 6 because Heather hired him and doesn't want that failure on her legacy.

Plus the foolish contract she gave both coaches , like an ⚓ around Pitts throat

Reactions: PittPoker
Didn't read any of the comments. Typical off topic debates about nothing to do with topic is the norm around here.

I was excited when Capel was hired. Seemed like a great choice given the disaster under Stallings. He said the right things, had that time at Duke under K, and was genuine..

Fast forward and you have to wonder what went wrong? His entire tenure is a five alarm dumpster fire right now and he's not being honest in his public comments. Really disappointed.

Your analysis is spot on. What the hell happened to the promise we thought we had when he was hired?

Everyone wanted Hurley. Then Oats. Then Miller.

When the realization set in that none of those were interested or would be hired it was Mark Schmidt. Most people (myself included) thought that would be the most boring hire you could make.

Then a Duke assistant was a dark horse. No one knew if it was Scheyer or Capel or who the hell it was. When it was determined to be Capel I loved the hire.

I will always side a little with recruiting over coaching, at least at the P5 level. Pitt needs talent upgrades.

With that being said, I think Capel delivered pretty nicely on the first few classes.

X, Toney, McGowens

Champagnie (honesty can’t recall a 2nd in this class)

Odukale, Hugley, Jeffress, Collier

The problem is they either left or aren’t ready yet.

Filling 6-8 spots is a tough pill to swallow and I still think I would rather have Capel given the other realistic options.

And for anyone that wants him fired...who exactly is going to want to come here that you would consider an upgrade?

Not now. Not with the information of the last few years. But then. Alot of you want to fire Lyke because she hired Capel. But at the time.......what did you think? Great hire? Good hire? Meh? Bad hire? Dumpster Fire?

Honestly, I thought it was a "great" hire at the time. Not good, great. Now I am being proven to be wrong, but that's fine, just trying to be honest. First of all we know where we were as a program, we know how Jamie was handled didn't sit so well in the coaching community. Nate Oats wasn't coming. Sean Miller wasn't allowed to be hired. He was blocked and everything that has happened the last few years shows that to have been a smart move. Plus, I see Miller more like his old coach, Paul Evans, they can recruit guys, but their teams are usually a mess. Mark Schmidt didn't move any one's needle. Danny Hurley was the other "guy", but he chose UConn. He hasn't been overwhelming as a success either.

Capel was to me, a great hire. ACC roots, #1 seat next to the Pope. Former HC. Great recruiter. Great personality. A salesman and PR dream as compared to the last two coaches in a city that is fine ignoring basketball. He embraced the city immediately. His recruiting class was a miracle.

But obviously something went amiss quickly. I don't know if he is all candy shell and nothing inside or what. But the hire obviously doesn't look good. But what say you? None of this revisionist history, what were your thoughts?
My honest thoughts: It was a pleasant surprise as his hire seemed to come out of nowhere while Pitt was engaged with some pretty uninspiring candidates. He checked a lot of boxes at the time and the hire made a lot of sense. I was not so sure about his actual coaching ability but thought he would instantly elevate recruiting and bring some real ACC credibility to the program. Honestly I haven't given up on him completely at this point but my hopes that he can get something going at Pitt are fading fast. The way this season ended and the mass exodus was not good. If he's gonna get something positive done at Pitt he'd better do it soon.

I thought he would be the type of coach to turn it around quickly. I also thought his staff would be better at recruiting. I guess I thought Capel’s brother would be dynamite at recruiting big guys.

I understand being disappointed with Capel. But I am extremely confused as to why you think Duzz is underperforming. Pitt football will never exceed 8 wins a year regularly.

We disagree with the right coach etc this program can be damn good. If many are happy with toilet bowls in sheversport then you all have the majority

We disagree with the right coach etc this program can be damn good. If many are happy with toilet bowls in sheversport then you all have the majority
With the right coach Pitt could take the next level in football. Mediocre Narduzzi isn't it.

you and i are aligned. i am baffled how people think this is much different than where stallings picked it up. its like 5 years post jamie and we have zero to show for it.

Absolutely I think it was the best hire we could get at the time and in fact way above what I ever thought we’d pull, even with our superstar AD.
I still love the hire, I think the coaches need to disperse because this combo obviously isn’t working. Definitely like his as a manager type guy.

Really? What on earth do you still love about it? We are a basement dwelling program with little improvement and half the team wants the hell out of there.

Recruits very well, and no we were not in the basement. Light years better than the Stallings hire. And I meant I still love the hire, not where we are at. It was a great hire at the time. Hard to argue that one

No chance in hell. And this isn't me settling for mediocrity with Duzz. I've had my fair share of warnings from Peak for being too negative about the football team. The demographics of college football have changed and the role of big donors have changed. If Pitt hit everything right they could maybe be Iowa. Maybe. But I just don't see any route to Pitt being a consistent 10-win team.

No chance in hell. And this isn't me settling for mediocrity with Duzz. I've had my fair share of warnings from Peak for being too negative about the football team. The demographics of college football have changed and the role of big donors have changed. If Pitt hit everything right they could maybe be Iowa. Maybe. But I just don't see any route to Pitt being a consistent 10-win team.

Really? Warnings for being too negative? Care to share more details? Sounds crazy unless it was the same thing over and over. But if that’s the case it better be a long list of posters who’ve been warned.

Reactions: Ski11585
I understand being disappointed with Capel. But I am extremely confused as to why you think Duzz is underperforming. Pitt football will never exceed 8 wins a year regularly.
Do you actually believe that’s what he was hired to deliver? Do you really believe his bosses are happy with that?

the pandemic might very well have bought him a couple of years that he hasn’t earned. It gave him an excuse for sucking last season and Pickett coming back will save him for what probably would have been a 4 win season this year.

Do you actually believe that’s what he was hired to deliver? Do you really believe his bosses are happy with that?

the pandemic might very well have bought him a couple of years that he hasn’t earned. It gave him an excuse for sucking last season and Pickett coming back will save him for what probably would have been a 4 win season this year.

I believe that Pitt will never, under any circumstances, be a consistently good team that will contend for anything meaningful. Pitt will never ever succeed consistently in football.

Reactions: HailToPitt725

This!

I missed this, I think?

Anyway, I thought it was a splash hire but not a sure thing. It got a pretty warm response here. My take on the recruiting rep was a realization that K was the deal closer, so I didn't expect a line of 5-Stars. I didn't want Hurley or Miller.
I still like the guy, but it looks pretty bad now.

I believe that Pitt will never, under any circumstances, be a consistently good team that will contend for anything meaningful. Pitt will never ever succeed consistently in football.

I agree with this which is why I have kinda given up on football. It would be nearly impossible for Pitt to win 9-10 games consistently. However, in college hoops, 1 good recruiting class could get you in the Top 15 eventually. So much easier.

Recruits very well, and no we were not in the basement. Light years better than the Stallings hire. And I meant I still love the hire, not where we are at. It was a great hire at the time. Hard to argue that one

we have 5 kids on the team and 3 EOY collapses.

"ill have whatever he is having".

revisionist history on stewart and carr make stallings not look completely dumb.

how is our roster/results. even a red cent better than when stallings was fired? 3 years later and we are still in a hole.
its not even debatable

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT