ADVERTISEMENT

All Quiet on the Western PA Front

MorningCoffee13

Redshirt
Aug 23, 2023
This board feels really quiet considering its the first Brawl in WV in Over a decade?

Is this evidence of not caring about it or the availability of alternate forms of social media discussion that leaves this board mostly entrenched old timers?

This board feels really quiet considering its the first Brawl in WV in Over a decade?

Is this evidence of not caring about it or the availability of alternate forms of social media discussion that leaves this board mostly entrenched old timers?
We definitely care, but I’ll second what the posters above me said. Also, although we may be bitter rivals, I respect WVU’s willingness to keep the Brawl alive (unlike some schools). It’s great to have a rivalry game to look forward to each year. Hopefully this can become an annual game and we can get it played either at the beginning of the season or on Thanksgiving weekend like in the Big East days.

I think there’s a subsection of the fan base who have grown apathetic with the program. 2021 being the outlier, it’s the same thing year in and year out. Play a team you should be better than, and you get woefully outplayed and out coached. Add a recruiting class that will always be in the 30-50 range, wash, rinse and repeat.

I think there’s a subsection of the fan base who have grown apathetic with the program. 2021 being the outlier, it’s the same thing year in and year out. Play a team you should be better than, and you get woefully outplayed and out coached. Add a recruiting class that will always be in the 30-50 range, wash, rinse and repeat.
Pitt fans have some odd birds in our contingent in that they don’t seem to recognize a program is not absolved of expectations to win, maybe even, gasp, win MORE, after it has one nice season. Some Pitt fans (who believe they are the “realistic” ones) think it was perfectly good enough to win something tangible in one season and there should be no expectations for awhile.

After all “We lost a bunch of players”. Err … that’s the nature of the sport and has been for like 100 years or so. Nobody who has rabidly followed Pitt, dutifully amping up donations over the years, buying all our tix, parking, gone to bowls, arranging our precious fall weekend schedules around attending Pitt games etc are cottoning to that feeble excuse.

Not when Cincinnati, which has no advantages over Pitt, none, and never has, cleans out clocks in quality. Ain’t no way a Cincinnati has more NIL, bigger recruiting budget, higher salaried coaches. Yet they utterly outclassed us last week. Pitt was not competitive in the game (our “comeback” was all garbage time heroics).

That kind of humiliation resonates, and the negative feeling stays in place for a while, at least until the team begins to look like a good program again.

I’m always deflated after a loss - any loss. I think I’m more deflated than usual because of the big gashes we saw in our defense, and the less than anticipated level of QB play. Sort of a trifecta of downers.

On top of that, I live in Charleston WV and have scads of WVU alum friends. A loss this Saturday would quite possibly drive me to shut myself inside for the foreseeable future to avoid all of the “how’d ya like that game??” which comes at me after a loss to WVU.

Yes - I am a lily-hearted weenie. I prefer to suffer in solitude.

Pitt fans have some odd birds in our contingent in that they don’t seem to recognize a program is not absolved of expectations to win, maybe even, gasp, win MORE, after it has one nice season. Some Pitt fans (who believe they are the “realistic” ones) think it was perfectly good enough to win something tangible in one season and there should be no expectations for awhile.

After all “We lost a bunch of players”. Err … that’s the nature of the sport and has been for like 100 years or so. Nobody who has rabidly followed Pitt, dutifully amping up donations over the years, buying all our tix, parking, gone to bowls, arranging our precious fall weekend schedules around attending Pitt games etc are cottoning to that feeble excuse.

Not when Cincinnati, which has no advantages over Pitt, none, and never has, cleans out clocks in quality. Ain’t no way a Cincinnati has more NIL, bigger recruiting budget, higher salaried coaches. Yet they utterly outclassed us last week. Pitt was not competitive in the game (our “comeback” was all garbage time heroics).

That kind of humiliation resonates, and the negative feeling stays in place for a while, at least until the team begins to look like a good program again.
Some Pitt fans recognize where Pitt is in the echelon of college football. I've been a fan since 1974 and you can count me in the contingent of "realistic" fans who don't expect repeats of '21 on a regular basis. Its a simple thing - Pitt doesn't have the local talent that many schools have and Pitt doesn't have the national cred to draw 4-5 star talent from schools that do.

Btw, Pitt had a a realistic shot to win last week. By definition, that is not "garbage time".

Haha. Accurate.
I've been that dude a dozen times. Not exaggerating. I wanted Duz fired the year he won the friggin' conference championship. Look it up. I was every bit as deranged as anyone on here tonight. When Wanny lost to Navy, I was a lunatic on the Scout board for a month. When Walt lost "the Slide" game to UConn, I was calling for Pitt to leave the Big East and join the Duquesne Conference so we could experience a conference championship. We're all nuts. You can't be a Pitt fan and be mentally stable.

Some Pitt fans recognize where Pitt is in the echelon of college football. I've been a fan since 1974 and you can count me in the contingent of "realistic" fans who don't expect repeats of '21 on a regular basis. Its a simple thing - Pitt doesn't have the local talent that many schools have and Pitt doesn't have the national cred to draw 4-5 star talent from schools that do.

Btw, Pitt had a a realistic shot to win last week. By definition, that is not "garbage time".
I think my definition of realistic may be different than others. But, I didn’t feel at any point that Cincy was going to lose that game. Not when the QB couldn’t hit water if he fell out of a boat.

I’m not buying “garbage time”… If PITT goes up to score it doesn’t matter what the time is… it happens every week in college football. It’s just a come from behind win. It still would have felt like a crappy win. But it’s a win and a win is a win.

I've been that dude a dozen times. Not exaggerating. I wanted Duz fired the year he won the friggin' conference championship. Look it up. I was every bit as deranged as anyone on here tonight. When Wanny lost to Navy, I was a lunatic on the Scout board for a month. When Walt lost "the Slide" game to UConn, I was calling for Pitt to leave the Big East and join the Duquesne Conference so we could experience a conference championship. We're all nuts. You can't be a Pitt fan and be mentally stable.
Wasn’t the scout board run by “Brian”… the guy who wanted people in their seats 3 hours before kickoff? Ha… good times

Even more outrageous, I’m sure some of us had delusions of the Pitt - Florida State game bringing in two undefeated teams in a total dogfight.

I've never seen so many "experts" (or whatever title you'd give to the people who host national podcasts) lean so heavily toward one team (West Virginia) in a game where the points are so close to being even.

When one team has the ball with 5 minutes left in the game, with a chance to take the lead, how in the world do you call that "garbage time?" That scenario happens in many games, pro and college, every week. And the team that is behind is often able to score and win the game.

Reactions: TD_6082
I'll add one more point. Pitt fans (at least some), talk about 2021 like it was a religious experience. It was a very good year (by Pitt standards) but it wasn't the 2nd coming. We still lost 3 games (one to a directional michigan team). We won the watered down ACC (OK good) and went to another semi-irrelevant bowl game. Some of us have seen a truly great year and we know what that looks like (and feels like) and 11-3 ain't it. So maybe folks can at least understand why a certain level of ambivalence is present. It's hard to accept average once you've seen greatness.

I can say for myself I’m absolutely not prepared for a 4-8 year.
At some point in time the chatter is meaningless.
Speaking only for myself, our failure to come ready to play combined with terrible QB and WR play took the wind out of my sails.
I need a breeze to get me started.
I don’t ever want to watch a Pitt team play like that again

The only realistic shot that Pitt had to win last week was ruined because we don't enough "grown ass men" on the team.

It’s quite simple…a city/region that bases their identity on being physical and tough, saw both their teams totally dominated physically on their home turf from the first quarter on. It’s a hard pill to swallow.

I'll add one more point. Pitt fans (at least some), talk about 2021 like it was a religious experience. It was a very good year (by Pitt standards) but it wasn't the 2nd coming. We still lost 3 games (one to a directional michigan team). We won the watered down ACC (OK good) and went to another semi-irrelevant bowl game. Some of us have seen a truly great year and we know what that looks like (and feels like) and 11-3 ain't it. So maybe folks can at least understand why a certain level of ambivalence is present. It's hard to accept average once you've seen greatness.
But a lot of us have come to realize that times have changed . It's not the 70s or 80s anymore. Pitt, as a program, doesn't have the potential for greatness like it once did. A conference championship in a year where there are no national title contenders in the league is pretty much the ceiling.

I can’t remember a worse performance by a Pitt qb in a game. The last drive was abysmal.
In my minds eye, I can’t see how Jurkovec can improve that much in a week?
Furthermore. His meltdown doesn’t show strong leadership. Just personal frustrations.
Very hard for me to get excited for this one, but I’ll be watching and rooting for my Panthers.
“We all we got”!

The one two punch of the Cincy game being followed by the Steelers being sodomized by the 49ers has me apathetic for football. I'm sure I'll be excited by kickoff
Agree. The energy will come back, but by Sunday at 4:00 it was drained.

Welcome to the new world of college football. 8-12 teams that see the playoff every year and the rest 7-5 types.

Welcome to the new world of college football. 8-12 teams that see the playoff every year and the rest 7-5 types.

Yeah, there are teams a lot higher on the hierarchy than Pitt who aren't immune to 7-5 after what we lost. That's why the company was so scarce for winning 20+ games in the last two seasons.

That said, if we don't win today we'll be 4-8. I think 7-5 would be a solid outcome to this season.

Last edited:
Yeah, there are teams a lot higher on the hierarchy than Pitt who aren't immune to 7-5 after what we lost. That's why yhe company was so scared for winning 20+ games in the last two seasons.

That said, if we don't win today we'll be 4-8. I think 7-5 would be a solid outcome to this season.
Eventually, Heather will have to decide if 7-5 is good enough. That decision will be fueled by donors who will also have their feelings about 7-5. It’s a slippery slope going toward. Also, everyone talks about how much we lost. Narduzzi alone is responsible for the roster makeup. If the roster isn’t talented enough, that’s 100% on him.

Eventually, Heather will have to decide if 7-5 is good enough. That decision will be fueled by donors who will also have their feelings about 7-5. It’s a slippery slope going toward. Also, everyone talks about how much we lost. Narduzzi alone is responsible for the roster makeup. If the roster isn’t talented enough, that’s 100% on him.
Heather has decisions to make every day. Narduzzi's status is not even a blip on her radar, even at 7-5 or worse this year.

But a lot of us have come to realize that times have changed . It's not the 70s or 80s anymore. Pitt, as a program, doesn't have the potential for greatness like it once did. A conference championship in a year where there are no national title contenders in the league is pretty much the ceiling.
Just nonsense….can’t think of a more negative and cynical attitude toward Pitt FB. Spare me the retort about being realistic. Right HC and right level of commitment by the Pitt admin. And Pitt can be a top 25 program every year.

Reactions: Las Panteras
Just nonsense….can’t think of a more negative and cynical attitude toward Pitt FB. Spare me the retort about being realistic. Right HC and right level of commitment by the Pitt admin. And Pitt can be a top 25 program every year.

If you can say that about Pitt, you can say it about 45 other teams where being in the top 25 every year makes even more sense.

If teams played exactly to where they "should" be on the hierarchy (local recruiting base, financial fan support, game day atmosphere, campus appeal, etc.), we would be about #45 every year.

Why, for instance, should Pitt be ranked but not Virginia Tech? Or Michigan State? Or Cincinnati? Or Ole Miss? Or Arkansas? Or Florida? Or UCLA? Or South Carolina? Or UNC? Or Miami? Or Florida State?

There are plenty of teams that have inherent advantages over us and haven't been top 25 fixtures, so why should we be?

That's not making excuses; that's being realistic. I absolutely think there are a lot of things we could be doing better and that "special seasons" are far too few and far between. But way too many fans cling to a small anomaly of success we had for about six years out of how many in the modern era?

Personally, I think we should finish in the top 25 about twice every five years? We can still bitch about Naruzzi being below that clip without imposing completely unrealistic expectations.

Last edited:
If you can say that about Pitt, you can say it about 45 other teams where being in the top 25 every year makes even more sense.

If teams played exactly to where they "should" be on the hierarchy (local recruiting base, financial fan support, game day atmosphere, campus appeal, etc.), we would be about #45 every year.

Why, for instance, should Pitt be ranked but not Virginia Tech? Or Michigan State? Or Cincinnati? Or Ole Miss? Or Arkansas? Or Florida? Or UCLA? Or South Carolina? Or UNC? Or Miami? Or Florida State?

There are plenty of teams that have inherent advantages over us and haven't been top 25 fixtures, so why should we be?

That's not making excuses; that's being realistic. I absolutely think there are a lot of things we could be doing better and that "special seasons" are far too few and far between. But way too many fans cling to a small anomaly of success we had for about six years out of how many in the modern era?

Personally, I think we should finish in the top 25 about twice every five years? We can still bitch about Naruzzi being below that clip without imposing completely unrealistic expectations.
I have to disagree. It ‘s a viewpoint which gives rise to excuse making EVERY time Pitt suffers a bad loss or suffers some adversity. It’s a convenient mental mechanism for avoiding having to identify the root cause of problems with the program. It’s a justification for settling for a half loaf every year. Do I believe Pitt could or should be able to compete for a position in the college FB playoffs every year…no. But there’s absolutely no reason, except for what I say below, that Pitt can’t be a consistent top 25 program.

No matter the school, their geographic location or their history, consistent high performance in college FB has always rested primarily on 2 factors: the quality of the coaching staff; and the school’s commitment to success. For most of the last 40 years one of those factors has been noticeably absent at Pitt and explains the lack of results. This being the case, there’s absolutely NO evidentiary basis for the contention that there are inherent reasons which place a low ceiling on this FB program. Do you hear Pitt’s athletics department espousing this viewpoint in an attempt t placate supporters? Absolutely not, and if they did, huge numbers of us who have and continue to heavily support Pitt FB would say “Adios”!

What are the inherent advantages that these other teams have?

This apathy is at least partially the result of HOW we lost last week. We were manhandled, regardless of the final score. We had a meaningless comeback because Cincy put in some mop up players and because they were just letting up to enjoy their beatdown. The score could just as easily been 41 - 7 in favor of Cincy and that would have been indicative of how poorly we played in every phase of the game.

I don't expect much better against wvu. They are not very good and neither are we. But we are playing them down there and against Pitt and with wvu, that is worth a couple of TD's. I see us losing again, this time by 3 TD's. Then wait until we see the "crowd" that shows up for UNC. One of the smallest of the recent past, especially considering the lateness of the time for the game.

I have to disagree. It ‘s a viewpoint which gives rise to excuse making EVERY time Pitt suffers a bad loss or suffers some adversity. It’s a convenient mental mechanism for avoiding having to identify the root cause of problems with the program. It’s a justification for settling for a half loaf every year. Do I believe Pitt could or should be able to compete for a position in the college FB playoffs every year…no. But there’s absolutely no reason, except for what I say below, that Pitt can’t be a consistent top 25 program.

No matter the school, their geographic location or their history, consistent high performance in college FB has always rested primarily on 2 factors: the quality of the coaching staff; and the school’s commitment to success. For most of the last 40 years one of those factors has been noticeably absent at Pitt and explains the lack of results. This being the case, there’s absolutely NO evidentiary basis for the contention that there are inherent reasons which place a low ceiling on this FB program. Do you hear Pitt’s athletics department espousing this viewpoint in an attempt t placate supporters? Absolutely not, and if they did, huge numbers of us who have and continue to heavily support Pitt FB would say “Adios”!

There are undoubtedly times when we could have done better from an administrative standpoint, but my point is that you could then say that about 20+ teams that were below us if we were in the top 25 every year. I'm saying that if all football programs are operating at an optimal efficiency, there is no way we should be one of the 25 best.

Let's just keep it in the ACC. What inherent advantages do we have over Clemson, Florida State, Miami, Virginia Tech, UNC, and NC State? Those schools have more fan support (financially and atmosphere-wise) and are all in, or closer to, more fertile recruiting areas. And they're all in the south, where college football is a much bigger deal. So why should we be better than them?

Yes, we could find lightning in a bottle with a coach, a few recruits, etc. But don't they have an even better chance of doing that, given their inherent advantages?

I'm not an excuse maker for Pitt. This just feels like the wrong season to complain about not being a good team. We just had two top 25 seasons and we lost like 16 key contributors. Other teams lose guys, too - yes. But very few teams (like maybe 3-5) lose THAT much and don't take a step back. And next year is likely going to be rough, too. This isn't a guessing game: You can look at the roster and see why this is a cyclical process. If young guys aren't flashing next season and we're not on the way back up in 2025, I'll be the first to complain.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce

I agreed with the 1st paragraph. But the second one? We’re lucky we didn’t lose by 20 points. That’s what upsets so many of us. We were completely overmatched at home by Cincinnati.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT