ADVERTISEMENT

All Quiet on the Western PA Front

There are undoubtedly times when we could have done better from an administrative standpoint, but my point is that you could then say that about 20+ teams that were below us if we were in the top 25 every year. I'm saying that if all football programs are operating at an optimal efficiency, there is no way we should be one of the 25 best.

Let's just keep it in the ACC. What inherent advantages do we have over Clemson, Florida State, Miami, Virginia Tech, UNC, and NC State? Those schools have more fan support (financially and atmosphere-wise) and are all in, or closer to, more fertile recruiting areas. And they're all in the south, where college football is a much bigger deal. So why should we be better than them?

Yes, we could find lightning in a bottle with a coach, a few recruits, etc. But don't they have an even better chance of doing that, given their inherent advantages?

I'm not an excuse maker for Pitt. This just feels like the wrong season to complain about not being a good team. We just had two top 25 seasons and we lost like 16 key contributors. Other teams lose guys, too - yes. But very few teams (like maybe 3-5) lose THAT much and don't take a step back. And next year is likely going to be rough, too. This isn't a guessing game: You can look at the roster and see why this is a cyclical process. If young guys aren't flashing next season and we're not on the way back up in 2025, I'll be the first to complain.
I appreciate your viewpoint and you have thoughtfully given the basis for your position. And I know others mirror your position.

The only counterpoint I will offer is that during those windows of time….and I know they were short lived….when Pitt had both the top flight coaching staff and the university’s full support, the program was great. I don’t think it’s an accident that when you look at all time program win loss results, national championships and players in the college and professional HOF, Pitt is right there in the top 25….not some fringe school. Most of the programs you cite above aren’t anywhere to be seen! This is no accident. I just see NO evidence to jump to the conclusion that Pitt has this low ceiling which should color expectations about Pitt FB performance.

It is errant to claim that this is not a valid year to complain after two good years. Complain is the not the valid word; regret maybe better…but if we could not find momentum after those years, and find ourselves with 4-8 talent now…we don’t have a whole lot to be optimistic about for the state of the program

Heather has decisions to make every day. Narduzzi's status is not even a blip on her radar, even at 7-5 or worse this year.
I didn’t say this year, cuck. 7-5 sucks and the 2021 season will be a distant memory soon. It’s a what have you done for me lately business, and in Narduzzi’s case, it isn’t much.

Reactions: Las Panteras
You could argue revenue isn't inherent, but I would argue it's a culmination of it. But here is a somewhat recent article that should put things in perspective - what we pull in vs what we spend.

ACC Football Revenue
I definitely would argue that isn‘t inherent. A disadvantage? Absolutely. I would suspect, although I could be wrong, Colorado hadn‘t been a big revenue team prior to this year. A site comparing college revenue showed Colorado at $49 million and Pitt at $47 million. The year isn‘t clear but the header says 2024. At the very worse it is recent. Colorado was 6th in PAC 12 according to this study. I guess an argument could be made that we are similar and Colorado went out and put the hottest commodity in College Football under contract.

I can have a net worth of $5 million dollars and my neighbor can have a net worth of $5 million dollars. If he is buying luxury cars and boats and vacationing in the Riviera and I am eating Ramen noodles every night we may look different in terms of status but…..

I definitely would argue that isn‘t inherent. A disadvantage? Absolutely. I would suspect, although I could be wrong, Colorado hadn‘t been a big revenue team prior to this year. A site comparing college revenue showed Colorado at $49 million and Pitt at $47 million. The year isn‘t clear but the header says 2024. At the very worse it is recent. Colorado was 6th in PAC 12 according to this study. I guess an argument could be made that we are similar and Colorado went out and put the hottest commodity in College Football under contract.

I can have a net worth of $5 million dollars and my neighbor can have a net worth of $5 million dollars. If he is buying luxury cars and boats and vacationing in the Riviera and I am eating Ramen noodles every night we may look different in terms of status but…..

We spend at a rate that is way higher than what we earn.

And Colorado is a joke. They have three bowl eligible seasons in the last 21. We have 18. And they'll be a joke again this season.

I agreed with the 1st paragraph. But the second one? We’re lucky we didn’t lose by 20 points. That’s what upsets so many of us. We were completely overmatched at home by Cincinnati.

overmatched at home when you have a chance to win on the final drive in the 4th quarter? That's funny. Overmatched at home was Oklahoma State in 2017, or ND in 2020.

overmatched at home when you have a chance to win on the final drive in the 4th quarter? That's funny. Overmatched at home was Oklahoma State in 2017, or ND in 2020.

It's a weird game to try to assess. They definitely dominated us in the trenches in the first half, and it felt like the score could have been more lopsided had they maintained that tenacity. I'd say the same if it were vice versa, too - Syracuse 2019 comes to mind as a game we dominated but had a chance to lose at the end.

We spend at a rate that is way higher than what we earn.

And Colorado is a joke. They have three bowl eligible seasons in the last 21. We have 18. And they'll be a joke again this season.The

The point is that in spite of that history they went off and spent money on a commodity that is paying back big time. I suspect that they will get bowl eligibility this year and improve from year to year.

But a lot of us have come to realize that times have changed . It's not the 70s or 80s anymore. Pitt, as a program, doesn't have the potential for greatness like it once did. A conference championship in a year where there are no national title contenders in the league is pretty much the ceiling.
I think everyone has realized that times have changed. That doesn't mean we have to like it. One more point. Most fans understand that Pitt is not in the upper echelon of college football and given the situation with NIL they are not likely to ever get back to the level of the glory years. Knowing that we'll probably never reach those heights again in our lifetimes is pretty discouraging.

Last edited:
Reactions: HailToPitt1985
I think everyone has realized that times have changed. That doesn't mean we have to like it. One more point. Most fans understand that Pitt is not in the upper echelon of college football and given the situation with NIL they are not likely to ever get back to the level of the glory years. Knowing that we'll probably never reach those heights again in our lifetimes is pretty discouraging.

It is now difficult to recruit the level of player that we had in the 80's that could get us back to those levels again. We'll get the occasional Aaron Donald or Kenny Pickett who were not recruited that much but turned out to be excellent college players. Getting players like Tony Dorsett, Dan Marino or Hugh Green now would be practically impossible. We don't spend the money on these players that the top football programs do.

It is now difficult to recruit the level of player that we had in the 80's that could get us back to those levels again. We'll get the occasional Aaron Donald or Kenny Pickett who were not recruited that much but turned out to be excellent college players. Getting players like Tony Dorsett, Dan Marino or Hugh Green now would be practically impossible. We don't spend the money on these players that the top football programs do.

I don't know if it is spending on the players so much as it is overcoming the perception that anything other than the Big 10 & SEC and playing in front of 80k+ fans is somehow not big time. Local and National media does us no favors as well on this front.

Especially for some people who saw greatness several decades ago for a short period of time and think that that should be the normal, rather than the rest of the last 80 years or so.

Yep. BYU won one well after us. I'm sure they have a small contingent of fans who still use that as some type of barometer. The average Pitt fan would laugh at those expectations. But, for some reason, the irony is lost.

I mean look what Nebraska did from 1963 - 2003. Yet many Pitt fans think we should be successful and they shouldn't.

You can't cherry pick a very small sliver of history and call that the standard. As I said at the time - winning the ACC Championship was winning the Super Bowl for Pitt. Like it or not.

I agreed with the 1st paragraph. But the second one? We’re lucky we didn’t lose by 20 points. That’s what upsets so many of us. We were completely overmatched at home by Cincinnati.
Your characterization is wrong. Pitt had 1st down at the Cincy 29 with over 5 minutes to play and a TD would have given Pitt the lead. Pitt had a realistic chance to lead, if not win.

Yep. BYU won one well after us. I'm sure they have a small contingent of fans who still use that as some type of barometer. The average Pitt fan would laugh at those expectations. But, for some reason, the irony is lost.

I mean look what Nebraska did from 1963 - 2003. Yet many Pitt fans think we should be successful and they shouldn't.

You can't cherry pick a very small sliver of history and call that the standard. As I said at the time - winning the ACC Championship was winning the Super Bowl for Pitt. Like it or not.
If it’s any consolation, Nebraska should be successful too.

I didn’t say this year, cuck. 7-5 sucks and the 2021 season will be a distant memory soon. It’s a what have you done for me lately business, and in Narduzzi’s case, it isn’t much.
What year, then? You just made your point even more stupid. 7-5 in any random future year is acceptable for Pitt.

I appreciate your viewpoint and you have thoughtfully given the basis for your position. And I know others mirror your position.

The only counterpoint I will offer is that during those windows of time….and I know they were short lived….when Pitt had both the top flight coaching staff and the university’s full support, the program was great. I don’t think it’s an accident that when you look at all time program win loss results, national championships and players in the college and professional HOF, Pitt is right there in the top 25….not some fringe school. Most of the programs you cite above aren’t anywhere to be seen! This is no accident. I just see NO evidence to jump to the conclusion that Pitt has this low ceiling which should color expectations about Pitt FB performance.
If you are talking about the years bracketing the national championship, those players were all bought and paid for against every rule in the book. That opportunity no longer exists with NIL at other schools far exceeding Pitt's.

If you are talking about the years bracketing the national championship, those players were all bought and paid for against every rule in the book. That opportunity no longer exists with NIL at other schools far exceeding Pitt's.
That’s pure nonsense!!! Penn St was watching Pitt so closely that if that were the case, they would have had the ncaa all over Pitt. Quit conjuring up excuses for mediocrity. A great start would be for this program to win the games they should. In the 2 best years this program has had they left 5 wins on the table, the difference between being nationally relevant and not! And there have been losses like this every year this regime has been in place. And I’m not saying get rid of the coach but what I am saying is that like every other professional but in particular those who rake in $5 m per year you need to constantly examine your performance and address your deficiencies….I haven’t seen this at all. I don’t want to hear 2 days after a loss to WM we should have done this or that…real time adjustments should be made!

Last edited:
That’s pure nonsense!!! Penn St was watching Pitt so closely that if that were the case, they would have had the ncaa all over Pitt. Quit conjuring up excuses for mediocrity. A great start would be for this program to win the games they should. In the 2 best years this program has had they left 5 wins on the table, the difference between being nationally relevant and not! And there have been losses like this every year this regime has been in place. And I’m not saying get rid of the coach but what I am saying is that like every other professional but in particular those who rake in $5 m per year you need to constantly examine your performance and address your deficiencies….I haven’t seen this at all. I don’t want to hear 2 days after a loss to WM we should have done this or that…real time adjustments should be made!
I like what you are saying. But you could argue we went and beat a few teams we shouldn’t have in a given year so would that level out the wins and losses to be similar.

I think we could be better if everyone bought all in.

Dude, the Golden Panthers were for real. God bless them.

Reactions: pittmaninwv
I like what you are saying. But you could argue we went and beat a few teams we shouldn’t have in a given year so would that level out the wins and losses to be similar.

I think we could be better if everyone bought all in.i

I readily admit that the Pitt win against Miami Pickett’s freshman year and the last second win against Clemson were great wins for which the coaching staff deserves great credit. I, however, believe that there are many more games the last 7 years where Pitt was a clear favorite and lost. As I said, 4 bad losses the last 2 years alone and the Cinci loss Saturday for starters….

Reactions: MorningCoffee13
Your characterization is wrong. Pitt had 1st down at the Cincy 29 with over 5 minutes to play and a TD would have given Pitt the lead. Pitt had a realistic chance to lead, if not win.
Maybe I overstated it slightly, but I think we just view the game differently. I saw a game that was 27-7 after 3 quarters, and then they took their foot of the gas.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
I readily admit that the Pitt win against Miami Pickett’s freshman year and the last second win against Clemson were great wins for which the coaching staff deserves great credit. I, however, believe that there are many more games the last 7 years where Pitt was a clear favorite and lost. As I said, 4 bad losses the last 2 years alone and the Cinci loss Saturday for starters….
I hear ya. I guess the one thing I would say is that back three to four years ago and backwards that first game against an FCS team was always a worry. The last few years I no longer worry about that. Is that improvement? Yes. Is it massive. Not really.

I hear ya. I guess the one thing I would say is that back three to four years ago and backwards that first game against an FCS team was always a worry. The last few years I no longer worry about that. Is that improvement? Yes. Is it massive. Not really.
And I would add that Pitt’s record against non conference opponents as a whole the last 8 years has been discouraging. These losses absolutely kill any national buzz around the program.

Maybe I overstated it slightly, but I think we just view the game differently. I saw a game that was 27-7 after 3 quarters, and then they took their foot of the gas.
Or maybe Pitt just didn't have their foot on the gas for the first 3 Quarters. I can't wait until you and your ilk disappear for at least another week around 11PM.

Every program is going to lose games their fans feel they shouldn't. That's the nature of competition.

This board feels really quiet considering its the first Brawl in WV in Over a decade?

Is this evidence of not caring about it or the availability of alternate forms of social media discussion that leaves this board mostly entrenched old timers?
It’s the wonderful content from the regular posters.

Every program is going to lose games their fans feel they shouldn't. That's the nature of competition.
So true but having said that, when you lose games in which you are the indisputable favorite, there’s something amiss. There are losses and then there are head scratching losses. Good HC’s find a way to avoid them or at least minimize them.

You are clueless about the late 70's and early 80's. I can't even begin to argue against someone who denies facts.

No, it’s acceptable for you. If that’s acceptable to Pitt, then we should all stop being fans now.
Yes, a 7-5 record in any random year is acceptable to me. And it is to Pitt administrators as well.

You can choose someone else to root for if you don't like that.

Reactions: FireballZ
You are clueless about the late 70's and early 80's. I can't even begin to argue against someone who denies facts.
Don’t like to respond harshly but I was there and a Golden Panther. Broke bread with Sherrill and Foge on multiple occasions. Don’t opine on issues on which you are ignorant, particularly when you cast aspersions at people.

Or maybe Pitt just didn't have their foot on the gas for the first 3 Quarters. I can't wait until you and your ilk disappear for at least another week around 11PM.
You and your ilk 🤣🤣🤣
Believe me buddy, I’ll be rooting for Pitt to win tonight as much as you or anyone on this board.

I mean Cincy is decent and we had a chance to win, which was crazy but the QB and WRs looked so bad I think a lot of Pitt fans are writing the Brawl off as an L since its down there and its their Super Bowl. Just no buzz. I am heading down now but Im basically dreading it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT