ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone watching the EUROs today?

Joe the Panther Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Jul 6, 2001
In the Denmark - Finland game late in the first half Christian Erickson of Denmark collapsed on the field while receiving a throw in. The medical people were called onto the field immediately. They were doing CPR on him and it looked like they zapped him with a portable defibrillator at least once or twice. Eventually they took him off the field on a stretcher. Obviously, the game has been suspended.

They just announced that Erickson has been stabilized and taken to the hospital.

Hopefully that means that the worst case scenario is off the table.

I watched it and the camera was on him before he collapsed. He obviously had something very wrong; his face had all the blood drained out of it. When he went down and players from both teams started frantically calling for medical personnel, it obviously was very serious. Some of his teammates were crying as they surrounded him to shield him from view. Some of the Finnish players were crying as they left the field.

It clearly appeared to be some kind of cardiac arrhythmia, but what exactly hasn’t been released.

I watched it and the camera was on him before he collapsed.

At first glance I just thought that he was trying to head the ball back to the guy who made the throw in and just stumbled and fell. But when the camera showed him on the ground his eyes were open, but there was no one home. For a while there I really thought he was going to die.

And then of course they made them restart the game later on. What a stupid decision. Yeah, the players said they would go back out an play, but then when they did several players were crying during the warmup. How was there no one with an ounce of common sense in charge to say hey, we aren't doing this today, we can come back out tomorrow morning and finish it then?

At first glance I just thought that he was trying to head the ball back to the guy who made the throw in and just stumbled and fell. But when the camera showed him on the ground his eyes were open, but there was no one home. For a while there I really thought he was going to die.

And then of course they made them restart the game later on. What a stupid decision. Yeah, the players said they would go back out an play, but then when they did several players were crying during the warmup. How was there no one with an ounce of common sense in charge to say hey, we aren't doing this today, we can come back out tomorrow morning and finish it then?

The above is the correct answer.

There was speculation that the Belgium/Russia game would be canceled as well, which would’ve been wholly unnecessary. Instead of choosing between the two extremes of canceling both games or forcing the Danes to play, the easy decision should’ve been to just finish out that game this morning.

Reactions: Franb

I can't believe I caught this whole thing live as it went down. Just happened to turn it on at about the 40th minute. I didn't see the play right away....but then seeing him on the ground and mostly the reaction from his teammates, you knew something seriously was wrong. At first I thought maybe he fell on his head and had some sort of spinal injury. But as then they walled around him and as the medical staff arrived and as anyone ever watched any medical show the unmistakeable lifeless body "jolted" by a defibrillator and then CPR being performed all like everyone else I thought the worst. Which obviously it was, but they were able to revive him.

It was great maybe 10-15 minutes after they took him off a photo showed him alert being carried off, with his arm on his head........and that was great to see.

There has been some criticism of the coverage but honestly I thought the story was covered correctly. It was not ghoulish nor intrusive, but the story was Eriksen down and the seriousness of the medical staff's work on him. The players rightly did a wall to protect his privacy, the fans were correct in their emotions and concerns, the commentators also in relaying the scene without trying to diagnose though it became obvious. I don't know what else those covering the match what they were supposed to do. Sometimes "breaking news" is uncomfortable. That's life and thankfully it appears that Eriksen will be okay, though his career now in jeopardy.

There has been some criticism of the coverage but honestly I thought the story was covered correctly. It was not ghoulish nor intrusive, but the story was Eriksen down and the seriousness of the medical staff's work on him. The players rightly did a wall to protect his privacy, the fans were correct in their emotions and concerns, the commentators also in relaying the scene without trying to diagnose though it became obvious. I don't know what else those covering the match what they were supposed to do. Sometimes "breaking news" is uncomfortable. That's life and thankfully it appears that Eriksen will be okay, though his career now in jeopardy.

Yeah, I thought the coverage was mostly well done. I mean you could see what was happening so at some level the announcers didn't have to say much, but they weren't really speculating or anything like like. They were trying to let people know what was happening. And I am sure that there were people who heard about it who were tuning in as it progressed, so they couldn't just say nothing.

Now the one commentator who did get something wrong was on the North Macedonia - Austria game today the announcer talked about Macedonia being a big underdog, but hey, as we saw what happened in the Denmark - Finland game yesterday where the underdog got a win there.

And I immediately thought yeah, we saw what happened. A guy on the favored team almost died. Let's hope we don't see that again.

About 10 minutes later he apologized.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT