ADVERTISEMENT

Anyway you "Slice" it

Saboteur

All Conference
Jan 15, 2015
Many places. but not all
You guys have probably hashed this out before, but clue me in. Slice leaves Lexington after a brief stay. He was intense on the bench in the ND game in Cleveland last year (I was there sitting low and it was a helluva game) and looked to be content.

What happened? Was he looking for a ring before he hung up his pair of Chuck taylor's....did he not $ee eye to with Cal?

And most importantly....and this is my point of view....was he at the stage of his career where he is living off his past and would be no good to Pitt now?

Thanks.

From my understanding, Jamie Dixon didn't want Slice to come back the second time, I can't imagine he'd want him back a third time. Regardless, if we want to bring in another assistant I think it's time we move on from Slice.

Barry made a mistake going to Kentucky in the first place he chased the money which is fine but now he has compounded the problem by going to St. John's where Chris Mullin has been mailing it in all season. Rumors are Mullin may resign at years end so now Barry is possibly stuck looking for a job. I understand and more knowledgeable Pitt basketball posters may confirm this that Barry begged Jamie to rehire him and promised Jamie he wouldn't have eyes for other jobs and Barry said sure and Jamie got burned.

Reactions: magadog
You guys have probably hashed this out before, but clue me in. Slice leaves Lexington after a brief stay. He was intense on the bench in the ND game in Cleveland last year (I was there sitting low and it was a helluva game) and looked to be content.

What happened? Was he looking for a ring before he hung up his pair of Chuck taylor's....did he not $ee eye to with Cal?

And most importantly....and this is my point of view....was he at the stage of his career where he is living off his past and would be no good to Pitt now?

Thanks.

First of all. he's a NYC native. Maybe just wanted to go home. He's been around, Pitt (twice), head coach at
Manhattan, assistant at UK (Lexington). The lure of going to St. John's with Mullin was probably the lure that got him there. Posters on here make fun of Mullin as a coach, but he literally inherited a bare roster. Not sure he stays, but if he does, I wouldn't be surprised to see him turn it around. I can tell you for sure that Mullin is
a NYC Bball legend. Forget about what you saw of him as a pro (he was pretty good), but as a college player
he was incredible (took em to the final four), and as a h.s. player he was all-everything. Bringing in Slice
with his NYC recruiting roots was a no brainer. I'm not surprised Slice at this point in his career went for it.

First of all. he's a NYC native. Maybe just wanted to go home. He's been around, Pitt (twice), head coach at
Manhattan, assistant at UK (Lexington). The lure of going to St. John's with Mullin was probably the lure that got him there. Posters on here make fun of Mullin as a coach, but he literally inherited a bare roster. Not sure he stays, but if he does, I wouldn't be surprised to see him turn it around. I can tell you for sure that Mullin is
a NYC Bball legend. Forget about what you saw of him as a pro (he was pretty good), but as a college player
he was incredible (took em to the final four), and as a h.s. player he was all-everything. Bringing in Slice
with his NYC recruiting roots was a no brainer. I'm not surprised Slice at this point in his career went for it.

People are 100% in the right to laugh at Mullin as a HC. He is awful and that should surprise no one.

People are 100% in the right to laugh at Mullin as a HC. He is awful and that should surprise no one.

You might be right...however John Wooden couldn't win with the players Mullen inherited. They are worse
than bad...how does that reflect on Mullen's coaching abilities?

Is there anthing other than the team record that you can actually point to and conclude he is awful? Not much talent there when he came in. The talent he did bring in has been performing well, but on top of being shorthanded to begin with, they've dealt with a bunch of injuries to starters. The trio of Mullin, Slice, & Abdelmassih absolutely will bring talent into that program. By the time Mussini, Ellison, Sima, & Yakwe are seniors, they'll be a very good team. They also have Lovett, who should be a starting guard there next year. Pitt recruited Lovett and Yakwe with a good deal of interest, and I believe were also looking at Ellison late in the game as well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT