ADVERTISEMENT

Audacy filing bankruptcy.

so you want 93.7 sports radio to go under. so then this city has nothing as far as sports radio but 3 hours of mark madden on an alternative rock station to tell us how bad pickett is between REM and Green Day songs?

great..
Nothing is better than that channel

The problem is that here really isn't a good national show on terrestrial radio. All the good hosts are either on Sirius or they podcast. There isn't enough money in terrestrial radio to lure those folks away.

To this day, I've never heard local talk show hosts better than Myron Cope and Doug Hoerth (general talk, not sports). Myron would cover the days events of the local teams, but sometimes he would dive into other areas like boxing. And it was never negative schtick to driver callers. He didn't need to drive callers at all to entertain, which is probably why he always had plenty of callers. Because he was interesting to listen to and interesting to talk to. Same with Uncle Dougie. Shows like Uncle Dougie's don't exist any more. The closest would be Michael Smerconish and Howard Stern on Sirius. I do like both of them. Hoerth was not as high brow as Smerconish and not as edgy as Stern. I miss general talk radio. Now it is all hyper partisan politics or sports. :-( The right wingers come across as stupid pompous asses that are still obsessed with the Clintons and the liberals come across as whiny losers dreaming about Trump in handcuffs.
Talk radio and radio in general is dead
And for good reason
Its always been garbage

the problem with all local sports radio in a market like Pittsburgh is every show is the same. the morning show is going to be talking about the same subject as the noon guys and the drive home guys. There are one or two relevant current topics going on in pittsburgh at a time.

so its "are the steelers going to make the playoffs" and "who should start at qb" for 3 hours in morning, then again at noon, then again in afternoon. same topics, same people calling in, the same 1 or 2 opinions on the same subject..

need a national show syndication going on to break up the monotony. get a national show to talk about nfl playoffs or nba or whatever. now again, most people have joined the 21st century and do satellite radio so this rant is a tad outdated. but for those that dont have it, i could imagine this would be annoying..
The Fan has become unbearable with its Steelers stuff. I mean how much can you possibly discuss? What interesting aspects are there to talk about every dal, all day. So in doing that, you have to manufacture controversy.

And for good reason
Its always been garbage
Depending on what your definition of talk radio is, you are way off base. I consider podcasts to be talk radio and their popularity grows every year. My only issue with podcasts is that they generally have a subject and it is difficult to have callers because not many folks listen live. So the level of spontaneity that used to exist in traditional talk radio is not there.

If you’re referring to the “Panther Insider Show” on Saturday mornings, Chris doesn’t do it anymore. It’s Bostick now, and he does a good job. You can listen to it on the Audacy app.

But yeah - notice OP didn’t mention Pat or Dorin. Hathhorn is pretty pro-Pitt too I believe.
I streamed it this morning.

Depending on what your definition of talk radio is, you are way off base. I consider podcasts to be talk radio and their popularity grows every year. My only issue with podcasts is that they generally have a subject and it is difficult to have callers because not many folks listen live. So the level of spontaneity that used to exist in traditional talk radio is not there.
They aren’t on the radio
I love podcasts
They are a reason talk radio is dying
They are superior in every way

They aren’t on the radio
I love podcasts
They are a reason talk radio is dying
They are superior in every way
Semantics. Podcasts are talk radio. TV shows are still tv shows even if they are on Netflix and I watch them on my iPad.

Semantics. Podcasts are talk radio. TV shows are still tv shows even if they are on Netflix and I watch them on my iPad.
Not semantics
They aren’t radio . There isn’t something to tune your radio to listen to them .
SiriusXM You have to change channels for shows .

That’s like calling audible talk radio

Not semantics
They aren’t radio . There isn’t something to tune your radio to listen to them .
SiriusXM You have to change channels for shows .

That’s like calling audible talk radio
Ok. Not sure why it is important for you to draw a distinction, but, whatever. They talk and it plays on my car radio. Seems like that makes it talk radio to me. 🤣

Ok. Not sure why it is important for you to draw a distinction, but, whatever. They talk and it plays on my car radio. Seems like that makes it talk radio to me. 🤣
It plays on your phone .
It plays through your car stereo not radio

Like I said - I can listen to an audible book on tape innmy
Car -
That’s also not radio.

It plays on your phone .
It plays through your car stereo not radio

Like I said - I can listen to an audible book on tape innmy
Car -
That’s also not radio.
So what do you call streaming video shows? I call them TV. But they play through my Roku or iPad.

I think we can agree to just disagree. IMO, Podcasts are the evolution of talk radio much like streaming video is the evolution of TV. You aren’t going to change my mind and I likely won’t change yours.

So what do you call streaming video shows? I call them TV. But they play through my Roku or iPad.

I think we can agree to just disagree. IMO, Podcasts are the evolution of talk radio much like streaming video is the evolution of TV. You aren’t going to change my mind and I likely won’t change yours.
I call them streaming .
You don’t call them cable ?
That is more the analogy here .

See

And for good reason
Its always been garbage
As someone who worked in commercial radio for 20 years as an on-air voice and management positions, I respectfully disagree. I worked in a number of markets at a number of air shifts, including talk radio and AM and PM drive hosts on various FM stations. It was mostly smaller markets ( although I did start out in the "Burgh in the '80s ). I had the opportunity to return to PGH 25 years ago but chose not to.

I worked hundreds of remote broadcasts, ( fairs, parades, Groundhog Day, tailgates, nightclubs, advertisers...etc.) Produced hundreds of commercials. I met pro and olympic athletes. Music artists. People from all walks of life.

A very rewarding occupation made mostly by feedback from faithful listeners. Dead or not, it was not garbage. Granted, it is not the same today as it was over 30 years ago. Today too many large companys that own dozens of stations across the country have stripped the industry of the personal attachment your favorite station had with its' listeners and the community. Still there was a time when I was proud of the occupation I had and of the communities I served.

Last edited:
Does anybody know how this affects the teams that use these stations as flagships?
Hard to say at this point. I believe a chapter 11 would enable them to get out of their contractual obligations. But just because they can, they might not. I assume the Pirates and Pitt are solid performers ratings wise and the deals in place aren’t the reason for the company’s need to file. Plus, this is Audacy as a whole. Not just The Fan. For all we know, The Fan could be profitable and not the reason for Audacy’s trouble. Having said that, they could use this to attempt to renegotiate the deals. But like I said at the beginning of the post, it is tough to say what impact this will have. If any.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT