ADVERTISEMENT

Audacy filing bankruptcy.

so you want 93.7 sports radio to go under. so then this city has nothing as far as sports radio but 3 hours of mark madden on an alternative rock station to tell us how bad pickett is between REM and Green Day songs?

great..
There are plenty of other things to listen to. You can ever listen to nothing. You might be better off for it.

Reactions: Panther Parrothead
The loss of access to local news and media is nothing to cheer about even if you disagree with the particular leanings of the commentary. Read "The Death of The Daily News", an excellent book on the impact of closure of The Daily News in McKeesport. It may change your perspective on this issue.

Pitt is awesome. Narduzzi is the best. The school, athletic department and coaches and players are so freaking awesome and can do no wrong. We are Alabama in football and Kansas in basketball.

That’s what some people want the Fan to spew 24/7 and eff reality.

There are plenty of other things to listen to. You can ever listen to nothing. You might be better off for it.
believe it or not, i've tried that and i kid you not, it's actually kind of nice. to have the radio off, it's startling at first but after a little bit, nice.

not always fidgeting with the radio. usually though i have it on sirius/xm and just leave it on a station/genre for a few days til i get sick of that type of music then try something else. terrestrial radio is pretty much a thing of the past with me..

Pitt is awesome. Narduzzi is the best. The school, athletic department and coaches and players are so freaking awesome and can do no wrong. We are Alabama in football and Kansas in basketball.

Nah I just don’t want countless local media types saying things like how they’re a “horse****” program”, “their athletic department is run by creeps” (that was a weird one by Madden), etc.

But let them mouth off, I just won’t listen or follow those people anymore.

• Haha
Reactions: jtownknowitall
When in town, I always try to catch Peak's show. They do some good for Pitt.

When in town, I always try to catch Peak's show. They do some good for Pitt.
If you’re referring to the “Panther Insider Show” on Saturday mornings, Chris doesn’t do it anymore. It’s Bostick now, and he does a good job. You can listen to it on the Audacy app.

But yeah - notice OP didn’t mention Pat or Dorin. Hathhorn is pretty pro-Pitt too I believe.

Reactions: Dan1911
Be careful what you wish for. You just might get it.

Does anyone remember back in the late 90's when WTAE 1250 AM went all sports? They ditched O'Brien & Gary, Lynn Cullen and Ann Devlin. Moved Uncle Dougie Hoerth to mornings for the only non-sports show and filled the rest of the day with some dude named John (or maybe Jason) Phillips whose only real experience was calling HS Sports with Don Rebel and some dude from a crappy station in Johnstown whose entire schtick was to make top 10 lists of "best this or best that" almost every day. I think one or both of the Ellis Brothers were on there as well. They were former lawyers who started some local Pittsburgh weekly sports free newspaper. From listening to them, I got the impression that they never lettered in sh!t. Mark Madden may've been on around that time as well, can't remember. They also had some dude named Rocco Pendola who now gives investment advice on some Motley Fool type website.

It was the most awful era of Pittsburgh radio. Horrible. Just horrible. Bruce Keiden was over on a low watt 1360am station out of McKeesport that carried the Sports Babe (remember her, a female, yes, a babe, absolutely not). A real shame that it was better than what WTAE was offering.

So the warning here is that if they do decide to cut costs and get rid of what we think may be the "high priced talent", it will probably get even worse. We could be looking at the Chris Dokish show followed up by Sean Miller Fan Radio.

If you’re referring to the “Panther Insider Show” on Saturday mornings, Chris doesn’t do it anymore. It’s Bostick now, and he does a good job. You can listen to it on the Audacy app.

But yeah - notice OP didn’t mention Pat or Dorin. Hathhorn is pretty pro-Pitt too I believe.
You can listen to Chris Peaks Daily Pitt on just about any podcast app. I listen on Pocket Cast because it works the best with my Amazon Echo device. I believe Spotify and Stitcher also have it. And of course, you can go on Youtube as well.

believe it or not, i've tried that and i kid you not, it's actually kind of nice. to have the radio off, it's startling at first but after a little bit, nice.

not always fidgeting with the radio. usually though i have it on sirius/xm and just leave it on a station/genre for a few days til i get sick of that type of music then try something else. terrestrial radio is pretty much a thing of the past with me..
I need the radio to distract me from the weird noises my old beaters make.

Does anyone remember back in the late 90's when WTAE 1250 AM went all sports? They ditched O'Brien & Gary, Lynn Cullen and Ann Devlin. Moved Uncle Dougie Hoerth to mornings for the only non-sports show and filled the rest of the day with some dude named John (or maybe Jason) Phillips whose only real experience was calling HS Sports with Don Rebel and some dude from a crappy station in Johnstown whose entire schtick was to make top 10 lists of "best this or best that" almost every day. I think one or both of the Ellis Brothers were on there as well. They were former lawyers who started some local Pittsburgh weekly sports free newspaper. From listening to them, I got the impression that they never lettered in sh!t. Mark Madden may've been on around that time as well, can't remember. They also had some dude named Rocco Pendola who now gives investment advice on some Motley Fool type website.

It was the most awful era of Pittsburgh radio. Horrible. Just horrible. Bruce Keiden was over on a low watt 1360am station out of McKeesport that carried the Sports Babe (remember her, a female, yes, a babe, absolutely not). A real shame that it was better than what WTAE was offering.

So the warning here is that if they do decide to cut costs and get rid of what we think may be the "high priced talent", it will probably get even worse. We could be looking at the Chris Dokish show followed up by Sean Miller Fan Radio.
i loved when pittsburgh had ESPN 1250 radio. miss it. think it was kornheiser at noon, then the local guys in the afternoon, our Boy Madden of course. Mike and Mike was on there sometime too but i never liked that show..

But the mix of national shows (kornheiser) then going into local sports was perfect IMO. we also had 970 AM and had Jim Rome in early afternoons and if you were so inclined, Ferrell On the bench at night time, which i'll admit, i loved that show but it was a very niche demographic.

i'd sign up for those days in a heartbeat to what we have now as far as listening options. and that doesnt mention political talk shows like Rush (wasnt a fan) and the Savage nation, which was the best non sports talk radio show going..

the problem with all local sports radio in a market like Pittsburgh is every show is the same. the morning show is going to be talking about the same subject as the noon guys and the drive home guys. There are one or two relevant current topics going on in pittsburgh at a time.

so its "are the steelers going to make the playoffs" and "who should start at qb" for 3 hours in morning, then again at noon, then again in afternoon. same topics, same people calling in, the same 1 or 2 opinions on the same subject..

need a national show syndication going on to break up the monotony. get a national show to talk about nfl playoffs or nba or whatever. now again, most people have joined the 21st century and do satellite radio so this rant is a tad outdated. but for those that dont have it, i could imagine this would be annoying..

The fan has too many talking head employees. Even the show producers get their talk time. They could stand to eliminate a few positions and save money.

Get rid of cook and just let Starkey and some junior producer assist him. It’s all about the guests that they have anyways.

Reactions: Dan1911
the problem with all local sports radio in a market like Pittsburgh is every show is the same. the morning show is going to be talking about the same subject as the noon guys and the drive home guys. There are one or two relevant current topics going on in pittsburgh at a time.

so its "are the steelers going to make the playoffs" and "who should start at qb" for 3 hours in morning, then again at noon, then again in afternoon. same topics, same people calling in, the same 1 or 2 opinions on the same subject..

need a national show syndication going on to break up the monotony. get a national show to talk about nfl playoffs or nba or whatever. now again, most people have joined the 21st century and do satellite radio so this rant is a tad outdated. but for those that dont have it, i could imagine this would be annoying..
The problem is that here really isn't a good national show on terrestrial radio. All the good hosts are either on Sirius or they podcast. There isn't enough money in terrestrial radio to lure those folks away.

To this day, I've never heard local talk show hosts better than Myron Cope and Doug Hoerth (general talk, not sports). Myron would cover the days events of the local teams, but sometimes he would dive into other areas like boxing. And it was never negative schtick to driver callers. He didn't need to drive callers at all to entertain, which is probably why he always had plenty of callers. Because he was interesting to listen to and interesting to talk to. Same with Uncle Dougie. Shows like Uncle Dougie's don't exist any more. The closest would be Michael Smerconish and Howard Stern on Sirius. I do like both of them. Hoerth was not as high brow as Smerconish and not as edgy as Stern. I miss general talk radio. Now it is all hyper partisan politics or sports. :-( The right wingers come across as stupid pompous asses that are still obsessed with the Clintons and the liberals come across as whiny losers dreaming about Trump in handcuffs.

I'd maintain that the worst thing about 970 was that out of every hour of time, maybe 20 minutes was actual talk. The rest was all commercials. I stopped listening to them years ago because of that.

i loved when pittsburgh had ESPN 1250 radio. miss it. think it was kornheiser at noon, then the local guys in the afternoon, our Boy Madden of course. Mike and Mike was on there sometime too but i never liked that show..

But the mix of national shows (kornheiser) then going into local sports was perfect IMO. we also had 970 AM and had Jim Rome in early afternoons and if you were so inclined, Ferrell On the bench at night time, which i'll admit, i loved that show but it was a very niche demographic.

i'd sign up for those days in a heartbeat to what we have now as far as listening options. and that doesnt mention political talk shows like Rush (wasnt a fan) and the Savage nation, which was the best non sports talk radio show going..
Do you remember a host on Mad Dog Sports on Sirius named Dino Costa? One of the most talented radio guys I've ever heard. He was extremely political (and I didn't particularly like his politics), but it totally worked. Dude got fired of course for being too controversial. And moved to a different Sirius station, and fired from it for being too controversial. Then back to terrestrial radio and fired again. And again. He was his own worst enemy. Super talented. But just couldn't keep his mouth shut when he needed to.

Gregg Gianotti was good, but of course didn’t last because the Ron Cook’s of the world were jealous of him and then he moved onto bigger and better things.

Reactions: TFloss

Reality is the exact opposite

Reality is the exact opposite
I listen every single day. I know what the reality is. And frankly there is more Pitt hate on this board than there is on that station. But some people are soft and can’t handle anything that’s not all rainbows and lollipops.

Reactions: jtownknowitall

It’s difficult as we have become used to sound always. We don’t have time to really think seriously. It makes us only have hot takes on nonsense.

They have already presented a plan to the bankrupt court and it is expected to be accepted. No changes will be taking place.

I enjoy most of the shows on The Fan. It’s entertainment as long as you don’t take them too seriously. Everyone has their shtick on the show but a lot of the personalities have grown and improved.

Love having Dorin on in the morning and I actually like listening to Poni. The station gives Pitt a lot more airtime than other stations would and of course broadcasting the games I believe the pregame shows are solid.

Would love to see some focus on Pitts other sports and local high school sports too.

Paranoia runs deep with Pitt fans . First off there’s very little coverage of Pitt athletics compared to the Stillers because nobody really gives a shit about Pitts underperforming Fb and Bb programs .

God forbid any sports journalist actually tell the truth about how poor Pitts teams play is , he must be a PSU plant .

Audacy is great , I can pick up 93.7 in Fl and keep up with the local sports scene .

Why would anyone who hates the Fan listen to it ?

The Fabulous Sports Blob……

You can listen to Chris Peaks Daily Pitt on just about any podcast app. I listen on Pocket Cast because it works the best with my Amazon Echo device. I believe Spotify and Stitcher also have it. And of course, you can go on Youtube as well.
Oh yeah, I tend to listen to his “Morning Pitt” on Spotify. I was referring to the weekly show on the Fan that Chris used to do but Pat currently does, which runs from 8-9am on Saturdays but you can listen to playbacks on the Audacy app. It’s the only reason I have the app.

Also LOL - I thought the name Rocco Pendola sounded familiar so looked him up. He actually has a Wikipedia article which cites all the stations he used to work for, and ends with “Pendola is not presently employed in radio and is tending bar in Santa Monica.” What a pivot.

I do have memories of listening to 1250 either in the car with my dad or sometimes I would even listen to it on one of those old stereos while playing video games or something, right around the time my current profile pic of me with Chevy was taken (with a disposable camera).

I haven’t listened to a radio station since I retired in 2018, and then it was just WDVE in the morning. All Sirius, all the time.

I haven’t listened to a radio station since I retired in 2018, and then it was just WDVE in the morning. All Sirius, all the time.
"Are you sirius, Clark?"

sddefault.jpg

Reactions: Pitt1975
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT