ADVERTISEMENT

Banks likely still in play

Apr 26, 2012
If TJ Banks decides on Pitt, they'll probably still take him. We don't really have that many TEs yet. We took 3 in 2017, but my guess is that one of them will move to OT, ala O'Neill. And while the Symonds kid is listed as a TE, he is being brought in to play the Aston H-back role.

So that means Pitt will only have 3 or 4 TEs on the roster going into the future, which is still thin at the position. So, they won't turn away a good one that wants to commit.

Where are all the Qbs... And Wrs.
And LBers....
We have to focus on our 5th and 6th string TE and then we will worry about our backup linebacker positions.

Could you imagine how thin we will be if our first 4 tight ends get injured? A team is only as strong as their 5th string tight end.

Reactions: FieldHouse12
I agree, they would have to think he can play a different position.

Banks was told they were only taking one TE in this class the last time he visited. He was not ready to commit. Pitt likes Banks, but he's not the type of player you take no matter what. Pitt continued to recruit other TE's. Today, they got a good one.

To me, Banks is on the outside looking in...

Banks was told they were only taking one TE in this class the last time he visited. He was not ready to commit. Pitt likes Banks, but he's not the type of player you take no matter what. Pitt continued to recruit other TE's. Today, they got a good one.

To me, Banks is on the outside looking in...

I know some are disappointed because rivals has Banks a 4-star and Alaimo a 3-star. Stars-aside both have similar offer sheets.

But--None of us really know the situation regarding Pitt and Banks. Neither Alaimo (6-5 235) (Rivals #29 TE) or Banks (6-6 240) (Rivals #14 TE) appear to be strictly players who are only likely capable of playing TE in college. Alaimo could also project as a DE--or less likely as an OT; while the slightly taller/heavier Banks could also project as a DE, or even as an OT or DT, eventually (say by a RS Soph or RS Junior year with maturity plus added strength and weight).

I know some are disappointed because rivals has Banks a 4-star and Alaimo a 3-star. Stars-aside both have similar offer sheets.

But--None of us really know the situation regarding Pitt and Banks. Neither Alaimo (6-5 235) (Rivals #29 TE) or Banks (6-6 240) (Rivals #14 TE) appear to be strictly players who are only likely capable of playing TE in college. Alaimo could also project as a DE--or less likely as an OT; while the slightly taller/heavier Banks could also project as a DE, or even as an OT or DT, eventually (say by a RS Soph or RS Junior year with maturity plus added strength and weight).

Alaimo is 1000% a tight end.

Reactions: StanfordCard71
I find the Banks situation interesting for a few reasons--1) he's a talented, well-regarded local recruit with a national rating and now may have been squeezed out of a class at Pitt; 2) he may still be in play at Pitt (although "insiders" suggest he probably lost his seat), but if he is it may be because of versatility of him or Alaimo OR this staff is starting to "recruit over" underperforming upperclassman and Banks is "good enough" for a talent upgrade albeit younger; and 3) the staff appears to be recruiting many locations outside of the WPIAL and filling slots that appear to be boxing out peer local recruits.

I'm not suggesting Pitt is abandoning the WPIAL--doing quite well actually. But, the staff does seem to have nudged forward with a "we only have so many slots and, yes local 4*, you can and may lose a seat to someone we like just as much from Jersey" approach.

I think Upshaw is out and there may be a scenario where Banks could end up in this class--but it is currently "unlikely".

Reactions: Jtommyj
I find the Banks situation interesting for a few reasons--1) he's a talented, well-regarded local recruit with a national rating and now may have been squeezed out of a class at Pitt; 2) he may still be in play at Pitt (although "insiders" suggest he probably lost his seat), but if he is it may be because of versatility of him or Alaimo OR this staff is starting to "recruit over" underperforming upperclassman and Banks is "good enough" for a talent upgrade albeit younger; and 3) the staff appears to be recruiting many locations outside of the WPIAL and filling slots that appear to be boxing out peer local recruits.

I'm not suggesting Pitt is abandoning the WPIAL--doing quite well actually. But, the staff does seem to have nudged forward with a "we only have so many slots and, yes local 4*, you can and may lose a seat to someone we like just as much from Jersey" approach.

I think Upshaw is out and there may be a scenario where Banks could end up in this class--but it is currently "unlikely".
I don't think Banks was squeezed out, Pitt probably was not his first choice and the staff moved on. That leads me to believe that Danielson may not consider PItt his first choice and in the near future the staff will have verbals from 2 DT,s not named Danielson.

Partridge really likes Danielson but he can go into Florida and bring back a really good DT. Danielson is a quiet young man and keeps things close to the vest. I think Pitt is in very good shape with Partridge recruiting him. But if is he is wanting a big time offer, Pitt will not wait forever here. Narduzzi gives the locals a lot of room here. But he can't lose other highly rated recruits who want to commit to Pitt. If Partridge has a highly rated 4 star recruit from outside the WPA area code ready to commit, that is what is best. Only Raines looks to be a recruit you wait on. But Danielson is a priority until he isn't.

Reactions: DiehardPanther
I don't think Banks was squeezed out, Pitt probably was not his first choice and the staff moved on. That leads me to believe that Danielson may not consider PItt his first choice and in the near future the staff will have verbals from 2 DT,s not named Danielson.
Who do you think is Banks' first choice?

Banks is a composite mid-3 star with a regional offer list. Evidently WVU has taken a lead in his recruitment.

http://247sports.com/Player/TJ-Banks-94234

Reactions: Jpripper88

With that size maybe he can convert to DE lots of TE's do.
A lilttle work in the wieght room and he could easily be 6'6" 260/270/280 + I'm guessing he has some speed/quickness since he played TE.

Last edited:

Their offer sheets really aren't that similar. Banks has five Power 5 offers (Maryland, Syracuse, WVU, Illinois, Rutgers) Whereas Alaimo has fourteen; (ASU, Arkansas, Duke, Illinois, Louisville, Minnesota, NCST, Rutgers, Syracuse, Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Virginia, VT, WVU). Alaimo's offer sheet is much more impressive.

As far as I'm concerned, if the locals don't want to jump at the chance to play for Narduzzi, then they can take all the time they need. Narduzzi won't be waiting...That includes Raines...

Who do you think is Banks' first choice?

Honestly, probably none of them are in the lead... Now that he's been rated a 4 star player, he may be waiting on bigger offers (PSU, MSU, OSU, Michigan, etc...). The best offer he has received so far is from Pitt. His other P5 offers are; Maryland, Syracuse, Illinois, WVU and Rutgers...Yuk...

He's hoping after his senior season Ped st offers. That's why Pitt probably said see ya

Their offer sheets really aren't that similar. Banks has five Power 5 offers (Maryland, Syracuse, WVU, Illinois, Rutgers) Whereas Alaimo has fourteen; (ASU, Arkansas, Duke, Illinois, Louisville, Minnesota, NCST, Rutgers, Syracuse, Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Virginia, VT, WVU). Alaimo's offer sheet is much more impressive.

As far as I'm concerned, if the locals don't want to jump at the chance to play for Narduzzi, then they can take all the time they need. Narduzzi won't be waiting...That includes Raines...
Yep - Alaimo is a rock solid TE prospect. Banks is a super intriguing athlete.
Who knows, but my guess Banks simply is not ready to commit anywhere, because he hasn't committed anywhere. I can see where WVU would be appealing with Holgy's offense, which might be really appealing to him if he wants to play in a more wide open passing offense.
But, in getting Alaimo they buttoned up TE recruiting in this class. Maybe they like Banks enough as an athlete to continue to recruit him hard and try to reel him in, but they cast a VERY wide net and seriously don't sweat losing kids.

Reactions: bobfree
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT