ADVERTISEMENT

Before everyone loses their mind over the fact that CBS Sports ranks Kenny Pickett as the 5th worst NFL starting QB...

YourPittDanceTeam

Sophomore
Dec 8, 2010

...Take a breath and realize that what the writer, Cody Benjamin, is not wrong.
His judgement is based upon statistical data and that data would support his claim. My problem with the story is that is appears that it was Kenny Pickett's fault for the Steelers poor offensive numbers last year. The reality of it is, the Steelers offense sucked last year not because of Pickett but because of Mike Tomlin and Matt Canada use of Pickett and the play calling associated with it.
The constant little pass routes run my the the backs and receivers did little to help Pickett's stats from last year (with the exception pass completion percentage). Failing to use the middle of the field and throw passes down the field didn't help as well (My God, am I writing this about the Steelers passing offense or that of the Pitt Panthers).
For as conscientious as the Steelers try to be about the salary cap and wasting money, they gave Dionte Johnson a $36 million dollar 2 year contract (if I remember correctly) and the guy caight ZERO touchdown passes last year. What's the point of having a "speed guy" on the team if your OC doesn't want to throw the ball downfield?
Kenny Pickett got treated by Tomlin and Canada like he was a 9th grader trying to run a varsity offense. The guy started almost 50 games while at Pitt, in an offense that liked to toss the ball down the field regularly. He comes into the NFL and they try to turn him into the 2022 version of Kordell Stewart.
Don't be surprised if they Steelers offense continues to struggle again this year. The drafting of T Broderick Jones may should help a little bit, but with the OC and his head coach remaining the same, to expect the offense to be any different would be foolish.

Where does Kenny rank for all time rookie season game winning drives?
He only needed the game winning drives because he sucked in the first 56 minutes of the game. Should we really have needed comebacks against the raiders and ravens

He only needed the game winning drives because he sucked in the first 56 minutes of the game. Should we really have needed comebacks against the raiders and ravens
The same could be said about Roethlisberger the year previous. One common denominator is who was the OC in both years?

BTW…. Should we really be subjected to your nonsense post after post?

But... He did it. When Bryce Young sucked for 3.9 quarters, and orchestrated a game winning drive, they gave him a the Heisman. But... Kenny sucks

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT