ADVERTISEMENT

Best non-Pitt game ever

kma0043

Junior
Nov 30, 2014
Since a CFB game will actually be played tonight (Pitt opponent Austin Peay), what’s the best college game you’ve ever seen? I’ll take the obvious. The 2006 Rose Bowl USC vs Texas. I thought Vince Young would go on to be a HOF type player in the NFL.

Don't remember the years but early 90s Miami vs Florida St. I was a kid, but there were 3 years in a row of instant classics.

non-Pitt Attended?

1992 State Penn at Notre Dame. Snow Bowl. Irish 17-16

1993 #1 Florida State at #2 Notre Dame. 31-24 Irish. First college Gameday.

a few ND-Michigan and SC games (Bush Push, etc.)

Reactions: TerryD44
I can't remember the exact opponents (I think LSU was one of them) but a couple years back there was a late game that went into like 6 or 7 OT's. Not saying the football was all that special, but all those OT's were fantastic.

I remember there were a few of us here up late, watching and commenting. Good times.

non-Pitt Attended?

1992 State Penn at Notre Dame. Snow Bowl. Irish 17-16

1993 #1 Florida State at #2 Notre Dame. 31-24 Irish. First college Gameday.

a few ND-Michigan and SC games (Bush Push, etc.)

I hate ND but I loved watching Bettis even in his college days.

Reactions: JSSTartan
Since a CFB game will actually be played tonight (Pitt opponent Austin Peay), what’s the best college game you’ve ever seen? I’ll take the obvious. The 2006 Rose Bowl USC vs Texas. I thought Vince Young would go on to be a HOF type player in the NFL.
I attended the 1974 ND vs USC game, ND lead at half time 24-6, USC came back and scored 42 unanswered 2nd half points, final Trojans 48 ND 24. To suggest that it was a fun night at the Trojan Barrel Bar that night would difinitely be an understatement.

Reactions: jctrack and kma0043
Agree. That rose bowl game was unbelievable. USC was a dynasty and Vince young had a Superman performance to take them down.

Reactions: kma0043
Texas Texas A&M 1994 Texas wins the Boy Scouts went home.

A few years ago when Michigan State beat Michigan in the Big House on a blocked punt and return on the final play of the game. The kid who returned the punt was piled on by so many of his teammates that he suffered a broken leg.
That game was the day Pitt beat G Tech in Atlanta on a late long FG. I remember watching that on TV with my brother in a sportspub in Atlanta. That ending was nuts.

Reactions: columbus mike
Colorado and kordell vs Michigan was a classic.

I can't recall if the game was as memorable as the outcome but ohio state miami when miami's dynasty was ended was good

Reactions: USN_Panther
USC-UT national title game. Probably best sporting event I’ve witnessed...that wasn’t Mounties, Steelers, Pens or Buccos.

I went to a WVU at UVA game in the late 80s, I have no idea how good the game was, but during halftime, the UVA Pep Band did a skit where there was a shotgun wedding with two relatives as bride and groom.

The governor of Virginia got a phone call from his counterpart in West Virginia later that week. The UVA band got in trouble. Fun times.

Reactions: kma0043
I went to a WVU at UVA game in the late 80s, I have no idea how good the game was, but during halftime, the UVA Pep Band did a skit where there was a shotgun wedding with two relatives as bride and groom.

The governor of Virginia got a phone call from his counterpart in West Virginia later that week. The UVA band got in trouble. Fun times.
You didn’t go to that game.

Miami-Nebraska Orange Bowl after the 1983 season. 31-30. Absolute classic. Texas-USC with Vince Young right there also (as others have mentioned).
Didn’t Nebraska go for 2 at the very end? I want to say their QB was the Heisman winner that year.

Our WVU fan from Columbus made me think of another UVA game that I attended that qualifies for this thread. The first time FSU lost an ACC game was to UVA in '95? Great game to see with UVA fans.

An underrated recent (kind of recent) game was Johnny Manziel leading Texas A&M to a win over Alabama in Tuscaloosa. He was magic that day.

Reactions: BFo8
I don't care one way or the other if you believe anything I write, but my sister lived in Charlottesville for years before I moved there, and I've been to lots of UVA games.
I don’t care one way or the other about your fictitious story that you attended a game in the late 80s between WVU/UVA and the governor demanded an apology.
1. They didn’t play in late 80s. They played in 1985 and Arch Moore was Governor. He never apologized because there wasn’t a halftime show that disparaged WVU at halftime at that game.
2. The game you are referring to happened at the Tire Bowl in 2000s (RRod 2nd season and Al Groh was coach of UVA). Governor Bob Wise, not speaking on behalf of WVians everywhere, demanded an apology from UVA.....who in a weak moment, actually offered one.

Again, I’ll repeat by stating you weren’t there. You are lying. You are probably a Trump supporter. You’re getting your newspaper clippings confused and acting as if you were in attendance. You were not.

Moreover, you’re probably chubby and pissed off that I pointed out on another thread that many across the country are losing weight during the pandemic.

I don’t care one way or the other about your fictitious story that you attended a game in the late 80s between WVU/UVA and the governor demanded an apology.
1. They didn’t play in late 80s. They played in 1985 and Arch Moore was Governor. He never apologized because there wasn’t a halftime show that disparaged WVU at halftime at that game.
2. The game you are referring to happened at the Tire Bowl in 2000s (RRod 2nd season and Al Groh was coach of UVA). Governor Bob Wise, not speaking on behalf of WVians everywhere, demanded an apology from UVA.....who in a weak moment, actually offered one.

Again, I’ll repeat by stating you weren’t there. You are lying. You are probably a Trump supporter. You’re getting your newspaper clippings confused and acting as if you were in attendance. You were not.

Moreover, you’re probably chubby and pissed off that I pointed out on another thread that many across the country are losing weight during the pandemic.
Well this thread WAS fun and non-political for an hour at least.

You are full of shit.

I don't lie about anything. I have no need to make up any story on this site.

It happened as I said it did. I was also at the bowl game in Charlotte between UVA and WVU, and nothing happened at the halftime at that game.

Stop with your bullshit with me.

The best ending to a football game for me was the auburn Alabama game with the long field goal returned 100 yards for a touch down. I was not there obviously but it was tremendous on the flat screen.
We were at the bar waiting for a table at the Sports Bar in Cranberry. It was packed and the place went crazy.

Here's another one that our full of shit WVU fan from Columbus can cry about.

BC at WVU in during Doug Flutie's senior year (84?).

My boss in college was a WVU Law school grad who couldn't get a ticket to the game, so I called a friend who went to WVU to get us tickets.

Very fun game.

You are full of shit.

It happened as I said it did. I was also at the bowl game in Charlotte between UVA and WVU, and nothing happened at the halftime at that game.

You are full of shit.

A lot of great ones but I go back to 1971 Oklahoma-Nebraska. I've never seen a better one.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT