ADVERTISEMENT

Best non-Pitt game ever

They did it in Charlottsville too.
[/QUOTE]
i thought you just said you were at the game in Charlotte and that nothing happened at halftime?

Last edited:
non-Pitt Attended?

1992 State Penn at Notre Dame. Snow Bowl. Irish 17-16

1993 #1 Florida State at #2 Notre Dame. 31-24 Irish. First college Gameday.

a few ND-Michigan and SC games (Bush Push, etc.)

The Old Pizzaboy was at the Snow Bowl game,of course I had free tickets.Greene County's own Derek Bochna (Mapletown HS) was a starter on Psu defense.I hate ND so I didn't like the outcome of this one.If I remember Brian Gelzheiser (Belle Vernon) had the coverage on Bettis.

Here's another one that our full of shit WVU fan from Columbus can cry about.

BC at WVU in during Doug Flutie's senior year (84?).

My boss in college was a WVU Law school grad who couldn't get a ticket to the game, so I called a friend who went to WVU to get us tickets.

Very fun game.
Just looked it up.it was October 20th 1984.bc at wv.

Just looked it up.it was October 20th 1984.bc at wv.
That sounds right. I had a great time with quite a few of my HS buddies. My boss had a GREAT time too, especially considering by Thursday of that week he thought he was SOL for tickets.

Edit to add: Flutie was incredible to watch. He looked like a little kid who was running for his life in the backfield. Sideline to sideline before he'd unleash a long throw.

Since a CFB game will actually be played tonight (Pitt opponent Austin Peay), what’s the best college game you’ve ever seen? I’ll take the obvious. The 2006 Rose Bowl USC vs Texas. I thought Vince Young would go on to be a HOF type player in the NFL.

I will never, ever forget this game and have probably referenced it multiple times on this board.

Was working at the book at Caesars at the time and had a roomful of Trojan fans and was extremely heavy with USC money as well. I don’t think I’ve ever worked a major sporting event quite like it, almost as if everyone was exhausted just watching it.

Google either bc or wv 84 schedule and you’ll find it.
Ha! This wasn’t the game in discussion. As a random side note, RaleighVT fan said he attended a BC/WVU game just like he said he attended 2002 Tire Bowl and nothing happened at halftime show.

It was the talk of bowl season that year. UVA pep band did a “Bachelor” spoof aimed at West Virginians. It was kinda funny.

Literally, the only thing I’m claiming is that Raleigh fan was NOT there. A Pitt fan would remember that. First, he claimed it didn’t happen. Second, he claims he doesn’t remember it.

I’m simply calling him out is all.

Didn’t Nebraska go for 2 at the very end? I want to say their QB was the Heisman winner that year.

Turner Gill was the Nebraska QB and is probably one of my favorite college players ever. Unbelievable leader and ultimate team player.

Was a horribly overrated head coach and that’s being kind, but he was a hell of a college football player,.

Reactions: kma0043
Ha! This wasn’t the game in discussion. As a random side note, RaleighVT fan said he attended a BC/WVU game just like he said he attended 2002 Tire Bowl and nothing happened at halftime show.

It was the talk of bowl season that year. UVA pep band did a “Bachelor” spoof aimed at West Virginians. It was kinda funny.

Literally, the only thing I’m claiming is that Raleigh fan was NOT there. A Pitt fan would remember that. First, he claimed it didn’t happen. Second, he claims he doesn’t remember it.

I’m simply calling him out is all.
Calling out a PITT fan on a PITT board isn't always a great look. Your prerogative of course, but let it go.

The WVU fan from Columbus was calling Crazy Paco out about TV ratings earlier. The guy has a lot of problems.
I wasn’t calling Crazy Paco out. He simply added value to the conversation.
He didn’t lie about attending a game, as did RaleighPittfan, who is clearly trying to steer the conversation away from his earlier lies....and I’m not allowing it 😂

Calling out a PITT fan on a PITT board isn't always a great look. Your prerogative of course, but let it go.
Feel free to follow the thread. You’ll see that my rebuttals are warranted.

I do this constantly to Trump fan too. Not saying Raleigh fan is a Trumpet. Just saying that when you catch them in a lie, they retort with anger that you caught them in a lie....so backwards....kinda like West Virginia..right? Ha

I do this constantly to Trump fan too. Not saying Raleigh fan is a Trumpet. Just saying that when you catch them in a lie, they retort with anger that you caught them in a lie....so backwards....kinda like West Virginia..right? Ha
Just stop. You are a guest here. I don't lie about any games I've attended, and again, I don't care if you believe me or not. Take your issues back to your board.

I don't care. Go away.

Didn’t Nebraska go for 2 at the very end? I want to say their QB was the Heisman winner that year.
Correct. Osborne went for 2 at the end instead of the tie. Miami’s first National title led by coach Howard Schnellenberger.

It was actually Mike Rozier, the Nebraska RB, that won the Heisman. Just a few months after the Orange Bowl, he was suiting up for the Pittsburgh Maulers in the USFL.

Reactions: kma0043
You finally get a "like" from me, Pizzaboy.

Not all of you guys, some of my best friends are WVU fans, but this one is certainty weird.

I'LL sleep better tonight knowing you gave me a"like" Raleigh.I'm hitting the sack after I finish this Busch light

Best non-Pitt college football games I've seen in person, either

Nov 20, 1993: 10-0 WVU over #4 Miami 17-14 at night in Morgantown...during the game they announced that #1 Notre Dame had just been upset by BC. WVU thought it was winning a national title.

Or Oct 7, 2000, #7 Miami over #1 FSU 27-24 in Wide Right III;

Or Oct 12, 2002 #1 Miami over #9 FSU 28-27 in Wide Left I.

Last edited:
I was at the game. I don't remember the halftime show.

Who pays attention to half time shows, at least when a band that isn't your own school's is playing?

UVA used to operate like a scramble-type band, like is done in the Ivy, where the the bands are pretty independent student organizations. The shows these bands put on, at least in the Ivy, typically are designed to make fun of the opponent. It seems odd to people that used to more institutionally controlled bands. After that Tire Bowl performance, UVA started to reign in their band and now it puts on more "traditional" shows.

Last edited:
Reactions: RaleighPittFan
Who pays attention to half time shows, at least when a band that isn't your own school's is playing?

UVA used to operate like a scramble-type band, like is done in the Ivy, where the the bands are pretty independent student organizations. The shows these bands put on, at least in the Ivy, typically are designed to make fun of the opponent. It seems odd to people that used to more institutionally controlled bands. After that Tire Bowl performance, UVA started to reign in their band and now it puts on more "traditional" shows.
Initially, his argument was that he didn’t remember halftime show at Tire Bowl. He vehemently denied that the pep band Bachelor/Beverly Hillbillies skit happened to promote his fictitious story that it was “another time” (to back his story that he was in attendance). He obviously was not.

Going way back. Bubba Smith’s Michigan State team, and Notre Dame.
10-10 tie. Was a lad. Mid to late 60’s. Duffy Daugherty was coach. Always liked the Spartans after that game.

How could I forget probably the best college game ever: Miami vs. Notre Dame, 1988.

The T-shirt, Musberger, Cleveland Gary’s touchdown ruled a fumble and Johnson going for two and the win.

Last edited:
The 1979 Cotton Bowl, the "Chicken Soup" game.

ND was down 34-12 with 8 minutes to go in the fourth quarter. Joe Montana had the flu and was very sick.

The game was being played in an ice storm. Joe had to leave the game. They gave Joe some chicken soup in the locker room and he came back into the game.

The final score was 35-34, ND.

Joe Montana connected on a TD pass to WR Kris Haines with only a few seconds left on the clock. The extra point by K Joe Unis won it for ND.

Since a CFB game will actually be played tonight (Pitt opponent Austin Peay), what’s the best college game you’ve ever seen? I’ll take the obvious. The 2006 Rose Bowl USC vs Texas. I thought Vince Young would go on to be a HOF type player in the NFL.
Way too many to consider but the Flutie led BC -Miami game is one of my favorites.

Initially, his argument was that he didn’t remember halftime show at Tire Bowl. He vehemently denied that the pep band Bachelor/Beverly Hillbillies skit happened to promote his fictitious story that it was “another time” (to back his story that he was in attendance). He obviously was not.
You are one weird person.

I could not give a rat's ass what you believe - you are inconsequential to me.

I'm done.

That 2013 Iron Bowl was a great game. I was watching it by myself in my living room. I don’t even have a rooting interest, but I was going nuts when Auburn ran that missed FG back. Unreal.

Yes I should have added this to my list.

When college football is good, it is very good. Nothing else in sports can compare

I think there are probably more "best" games not involving Pitt than involving Pitt. Does this mean best game or best game ever attended?

The one I enjoyed most? 1974, ND at USC. The Irish were just killing USC, it was 24-0 late in the first half. USC scored a td before the half to make it 24-6. Anthony Davis ran the second half kickoff back for a touchdown, and the flood gates opened. 55-24 USC. Nothing could ever be greater for a Notre Dame hater!!!!

I missed watching most of the 2006 Rose Bowl between USC and Texas. Shame on those who did watch it! That was the night of Pitt vs ND basketball at the Pete, a game that went into 2OT. I got home from the BB in time to see the very end of the game.

A couple of years ago. Bahamas Bowl. I forgot the teams but the game was on Christmas Eve Day. The QB for one sets a record for yards in a half ( in the first half). The QB for the other team breaks it in the second half.

Here are a couple of mine, I remember these because I was really young and just getting into watching college football. There are certainly many more but these still remain in my memories.

1981 Orange Bowl: Oklahoma 18, Florida State 17
1982 SMU vs Arkansas 17 - 17 tie. Back when a tie ruined SMU's chances for a run at the NC.

Reactions: Mufasa94
Here are a couple of mine, I remember these because I was really young and just getting into watching college football. There are certainly many more but these still remain in my memories.

1981 Orange Bowl: Oklahoma 18, Florida State 17
1982 SMU vs Arkansas 17 - 17 tie. Back when a tie ruined SMU's chances for a run at the NC.
That tie was the reason why Penn St. won their first NC.

Reactions: Mufasa94
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT