ADVERTISEMENT

Best Panther shooters of all time

Sure ... but my point is that when there wasn't a three point shot, defenders would not emphasize guarding shooters shooting from 20 feet quite as much. Once that shot was worth an extra point and teams figured out how to defend it as the 86-87 went on, guys like Aiken really started to struggle.

Again, in his last 10 games of his senior year, Curtis only SHOT 14 threes.

Plus if you want to be considered the best, or one of the best shooters of all time, shouldn't you have been able to make even 60% of your foul shots over your career? Or more than once in the four seasons of your career?

Jason Matthews' corner 3's were like layups for him. He's the best shooter I've seen at Pitt....starting in 1977.

I just watched that 2nd half video, and it was Brian Shorter who was Pitt's best player. Glover had 12 points on 4- 3's. Shorter had at least 19 points, and dominated the glass in the 2nd half. Glover was a good story, but Shorter dominated the game.

I just watched that 2nd half video, and it was Brian Shorter who was Pitt's best player. Glover had 12 points on 4- 3's. Shorter had at least 19 points, and dominated the glass in the 2nd half. Glover was a good story, but Shorter dominated the game.
Well, Tim Glover averaged 2 minutes a game in his 2 years at Pitt before transferring down.

Shorter averaged nearly 20 ppg and is one of the best Pitt players of all time.

So there’s that.

Not close. Gibbs than Matthews. Then a bit of a gap. And Mathew’s did it for all 4 seasons. They both shot over 49 percent. Elliot us at about 42 percent right now.
In 4 years, Matthews never shot below 44.2% from 3-pt. Gibbs shot 34.5% as a senior and only bested Matthews' lowest percentage once - as a junior at 49%. You're right - its not close. Matthews was BY FAR the superior shooter.

Larry Harris
Billy Knight
Jason Matthews
Ashton Gibbs
Curtis Aiken
Clyde Vaughn
Jason Maile
I know Hennon is before our time but he has to be on any list of Pitt shooters, IMO, he was one of the best scorers in the nation for two years.

Well, Tim Glover averaged 2 minutes a game in his 2 years at Pitt before transferring down.

Shorter averaged nearly 20 ppg and is one of the best Pitt players of all time.

So there’s that.
Sure. I am just saying that Glover was not the main factor in Pitt's win, Shorter was.

I know Hennon is before our time but he has to be on any list of Pitt shooters, IMO, he was one of the best scorers in the nation for two years.
He was not a great shooter, though. His career shooting percentage was 39.6. He took almost 25 shots per game.

Don Henson-wish he would have had the shot clock and 3 point line. He truly was the best ever.
I wasn’t alive to see him play. I always picture him to be a Bob Cousy-type, but could be waaay off. Who would be a good comparison for style of play?

He was not a great shooter, though. His career shooting percentage was 39.6. He took almost 25 shots per game.
Understood.
As I said I never saw him play.
But, at 5'8" tall, his contemporaries recognized him as a 1st and 2nd team Consensus All-American ('58,'59,) He led his team to two NCAAT appearances when only 25 teams were in, including a sweet 16 finish, and scored 1841 points without a 3 point line. He scored 45 points in a win against Duke in '57, and I assume teams aimed to shut him down in '58 and '59 and he still made AA status. That is a lot of accomplishment for an average shooter.

Reactions: HOF Coach
This old timer remembers a lot of good shooters over his 55 years of being a season ticket holder, and it can be an endless debate of who was the best shooter. But one player not many remember was Kent Scott who played from 1969-1970 thru 1971-1972 seasons. He scored over 1000 points and shot 50 % from the floor with no 3 point line then. In his sophomore year (1969-1970) he shot 52% and took Wil Robinson to the cleaners during the last game ever at the old WVU Fieldhouse. As myself and a friend were walking out of the fieldhouse that night, I heard an old timer say that he never thought he would see Jerry West again, but did in Kent Scott. He was a sr. when Bill Knight was a sophomore (no freshmen then) and gladly stepped back his role on the team for Bill. He was a pleasure to watch, as was all the other players mentioned in this thread.

I was at that game in '93 when he hit the game winner. We stormed the court at the field house. Great night.

I remember watching it at the Sheraton Hotel (my aunt/uncle/cousins used to stay there when they came into Pittsburgh from Johnstown). I swear I remembered the shot taking place going toward camera right, but YouTube has confirmed otherwise: Twas camera left.

BK not only the best shooter , but also the best player . Jason Mathews is easily second . Elliot misses too many wide open looks so he’s definitely behind Gibbs and Ramon .
Jason Mathews good but not even in the class of Larry Harris, Clyde Vaughn or Don Hennon. These three play second fiddle to Billy Knight. Knight also a supreme rebounder - behind Smith, Blair and maybe Lane.

Jason Mathews good but not even in the class of Larry Harris, Clyde Vaughn or Don Hennon. These three play second fiddle to Billy Knight. Knight also a supreme rebounder - behind Smith, Blair and maybe Lane.
As a pure shooter none of the players you mentioned were in Matthews league.

Reactions: Fsgolfdr
Mathews was pure from the corner . Hennon played in the 50’s the game has evolved since then and unless your in your 80’s you never had a chance to see him play .

Larry Harris was a far way better all around player and a damn good shooter but not in Mathews class .
I saw Hennon play. A true All-American. Harris averaged alot more per game than Matthews and didn’t have the three point line. Larry didn’t drive much and wasn’t a good rebounder. The vast majority of his scoring was via the jump shot. Clyde Vaughn was a much better overall player but didn’t shoot it as well.

Larry Harris was a far way better all around player and a damn good shooter but not in Mathews class .
Larry Harris will always be special to me, for a lot of reasons, but mainly because of his game winning shot against #2 Cincinnati and slime ball Gale Catlett.

Reactions: HOF Coach
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT