ADVERTISEMENT

Big 10

It's all about ratings. ND is on every Saturday at 4pm if not prime time, as they start every season in the Top 10 on the way to a typical 7-5 season.

Again, from that thread, I think the 5 largest college football fanbases according to a NY Times study was 1) tOSU 2) ND 3) Texas 4) Penn State and 5) Michigan. That doesn't mean most avid because we know the SEC teams, but this is just pure in size and people who identified themselves as fans of.....

What is most depressing is Pitt's region immediately borders on 2 of those fanbases, Another is only 4 1/2 hours away by car and another is interspersed within our own region. It is why Pitt's growth in getting fans is always going to be limited and capped.

They scored 49 points last night and covered the spread. I would agree its not as groundbreaking as it once was, but I think the problem lies more in the Qb. He can't throw accurately downfield and isn't a dynamic runner like Lamar Jackson. They still have more NFL players on their roster than any school in the country besides Alabama but won't reach their potential with JT Barrett.

This may be a little over the top...but...

I think Meyer's offense has been figured out by a lot of coaches across the country at this point. It isn't as transcendent as it once was, everybody in college football runs some variation of the spread. It seems like if you stack the box and force the QB to throw, the entire offense starts to sputter. It's painfully obvious that Urban Meyer wants a QB that can run more so than a QB that can throw the ball downfield.

They won the game last night because they had more 4/5 stars than IU. OSU is suppose to be the cream of the crop of the BIG? What a joke of a conference.

That RB they got is a stud. They have so much talent, all we have to do is look at the NFL draft every year. But JT Barrett can't throw or manage a passing game, and he is not Lamar Jackson or Pat White in running the read option because he is not elusive like those guys. I am not sure why the 3 year infatuation with him by Urban.

Again, from that thread, I think the 5 largest college football fanbases according to a NY Times study was 1) tOSU 2) ND 3) Texas 4) Penn State and 5) Michigan. That doesn't mean most avid because we know the SEC teams, but this is just pure in size and people who identified themselves as fans of.....

What is most depressing is Pitt's region immediately borders on 2 of those fanbases, Another is only 4 1/2 hours away by car and another is interspersed within our own region. It is why Pitt's growth in getting fans is always going to be limited and capped.
we got buckeye nation 2 1/2 hours west, Sandusky nation 2 1/2 hours to our east, redneck nation an hour south and erie north of us..

They scored 49 points last night and covered the spread. I would agree its not as groundbreaking as it once was, but I think the problem lies more in the Qb. He can't throw accurately downfield and isn't a dynamic runner like Lamar Jackson. They still have more NFL players on their roster than any school in the country besides Alabama but won't reach their potential with JT Barrett.

Ohmigod.....as you were typing this I was typing almost the exact same post. LOL Great minds.....

Reactions: PittGuyYessir
Growing up in Western PA, Penn State always appealed to everyone, Pitt was more limited to the West of the state. Penn State kind of represented the whole state, people out in Philly or Harrisburg or Bethlehem weren't going to be Pitt fans most likely. That's something you can't change, it was like that when Pitt was 11-1 every year.

And back in the day, Paterno was a cult figure to everyone, I remember growing up around a lot of Italians, they all loved Paterno and rooted for Penn State just because he was Italian.

And back in the day, Paterno was a cult figure to everyone, I remember growing up around a lot of Italians, they all loved Paterno and rooted for Penn State just because he was Italian.

One of your dumber statements....my neighbor was off the boat Italian and hated PSU more than I did. The reason for the fan support/cult following is paterno won a lot and he conned them into thinking they were doing it the right way and were above the cess pool.

If you don't think Pitt could of won Big 10 east last year I don't know what to tell ya. I mean we did beat the big 10 champion and the national champions at their place. If Ped st won it last year. Pitt could of done the same
Maybe we should start by winning the ACC Coastal.

You know, baby steps.

I mean, the dude is a recruiting machine, and OSU in general has been one of the two, three top programs for decades now, you would think they were go and get a big time dual guy who can actually throw the ball a bit pretty much every class, or get a guy who can really sling it who can run a bit at least.
I think he's done pretty well with the guys he gets. 3 NCs in the past 12 years at 2 different schools is ptety good.

I think he's done pretty well with the guys he gets. 3 NCs in the past 12 years at 2 different schools is ptety good.
Its funny.
As he has moved up the ladder, he has crossed the whole spectrum in terms of offensive style.
At Utah, completely wide open.
At Florida, started out fairly wide open, but got progressively less so.
At OSU, pretty much as stuck with their plain, run between the tackles offense.

I hope we beat any in conference opponent by 28 and hold them to 21 points or less. It would only be the 2nd time since 2010.

If Hotshoe likes your post, then you have to be nitter... Comical? LOL! Oh the irony! What's comical is a nitter loser forking out money to buy a membership so he can pretend to be a Pitt fan and spew PSU idiocy.....

How pathetic! LOL!

They are the same person... just like the dion Lewis, TD, shady, person that was negative for so long and was probably banned, now just back under these names.
It not comical, it is literally quite sick, the person posting 10,000 messages on a rival board while trying to occasionally write semi pro pitt post once every 100. It is beyond crazy, I usually just ignore all the morons (like literally put on ignore, like those above and the jpiper guy, and others) I used to fight them, but when you realize how sick they are, what's the point?

Reactions: pittmeister
Its funny.
As he has moved up the ladder, he has crossed the whole spectrum in terms of offensive style.
At Utah, completely wide open.
At Florida, started out fairly wide open, but got progressively less so.
At OSU, pretty much as stuck with their plain, run between the tackles offense.
That OSUBodfense looked a lot better when Tom Hermann was pulling the levers, I know that. Look at Barrett's freshman year versus the two since.

Urban has evolved his spread over the years to be a run-based offense, favoring QBs who are glorified tailbacks. The idea behind that is to try to install some ball control principles into the spread to benefit his defense and keep other teams' offenses off the field. The result may not be as sexy, but it has worked out pretty well.

His QB recruiting has tracked with that philosophical shift. He's always looking for the next Tebow.

One of your dumber statements....my neighbor was off the boat Italian and hated PSU more than I did. The reason for the fan support/cult following is paterno won a lot and he conned them into thinking they were doing it the right way and were above the cess pool.

No. Just because your neighbor was an "off the boat Italian" and hated PSU, that was more an anomaly than truth. I grew up in a heavy Italian area, had friends parents speak Italian mostly and much better than English and PSU and Joe Pa was like the pinnacle of success. Alot like Irish and Polish Catholics with Notre Dame.

Reactions: Pitt79
No. Just because your neighbor was an "off the boat Italian" and hated PSU, that was more an anomaly than truth. I grew up in a heavy Italian area, had friends parents speak Italian mostly and much better than English and PSU and Joe Pa was like the pinnacle of success. Alot like Irish and Polish Catholics with Notre Dame.

I know you have PSU envy that is off the charts but this one takes the cake.

Moronic statement by you, that was the one guy you knew, I grew up in an area almost 50% Italian, everyone loved Paterno, many, many because he was Italian. You can't know, you weren't there.

I know you have PSU envy that is off the charts but this one takes the cake.

No. You are wrong. You used an n=1 sample and decided this is the way it is. Not sure how old you are, but if you ask anyone over 40.....and the Italians in their community, they held Paterno and PSU in high esteem. This was obviously before all that went down. Still some still do. I don't know why you have to result to name calling.

Reactions: bwh05
No. You are wrong. You used an n=1 sample and decided this is the way it is. Not sure how old you are, but if you ask anyone over 40.....and the Italians in their community, they held Paterno and PSU in high esteem. This was obviously before all that went down. Still some still do. I don't know why you have to result to name calling.

And ND also had the Armenian support when Ara was the coach.

And my N > 1.....that was just one example. Any other racial stereotypes you would like to further perpetuate?

And not sure how you consider what I said name calling.....it is correctly categorizing you as having PSU envy to the nth degree.

This is as dumb as you can get. My grandmother was an italian immigrant. The entire family were Pitt and Steeler fans... why? Because they had no idea what football was, wanted to assimilate, and rooted for the city teams. I have never heard an italian I know say they liked Paterno because they thought he was italian... probably are some, but I knew alot, and I didnt hear this.
Notre Dame is so much more over the top... even to this day its hard to find a casual football fan who has read hair that doesnt say they like Notre Dame.

Italians loved paterno? This is the sh*t I have to read when I come on here now? So Italians loved him, even if they weren't psu fans? Jesus H Christ, I might as well do some work, more interesting than this garbage.

thanks pitt79, thanks for posting something so freakin stupid that you actually made work more interesting.

honestly it is scary that some people on this board can vote & breed.

They are the same person... just like the dion Lewis, TD, shady, person that was negative for so long and was probably banned, now just back under these names.
It not comical, it is literally quite sick, the person posting 10,000 messages on a rival board while trying to occasionally write semi pro pitt post once every 100. It is beyond crazy, I usually just ignore all the morons (like literally put on ignore, like those above and the jpiper guy, and others) I used to fight them, but when you realize how sick they are, what's the point?
You are absolutely pathetic. Everyone is a "nitter" who isn't constantly jerking it to every decision made by Pitt and the coaches.

The irony is you are exactly what you despise, but just in different colors. Every fan base has them, though.

That OSUBodfense looked a lot better when Tom Hermann was pulling the levers, I know that. Look at Barrett's freshman year versus the two since.

Urban has evolved his spread over the years to be a run-based offense, favoring QBs who are glorified tailbacks. The idea behind that is to try to install some ball control principles into the spread to benefit his defense and keep other teams' offenses off the field. The result may not be as sexy, but it has worked out pretty well.

His QB recruiting has tracked with that philosophical shift. He's always looking for the next Tebow.

Agreed on all of this ... He has the luxury at OSU, where he can get such overwhelming man power in every other unit.

This is something fans struggle with, coaches tend to be very inherently conservative.

Anything to limit risk.

You get QB who can lug the ball, you don't even have to worry about the hand off.

This is as dumb as you can get. My grandmother was an italian immigrant. The entire family were Pitt and Steeler fans... why? Because they had no idea what football was, wanted to assimilate, and rooted for the city teams. I have never heard an italian I know say they liked Paterno because they thought he was italian... probably are some, but I knew alot, and I didnt hear this.
Notre Dame is so much more over the top... even to this day its hard to find a casual football fan who has read hair that doesnt say they like Notre Dame.

I did not say "All". Christ almighty are you people that stupid?

I did not this... But, it offends me as a quarter Polish American to learn this.

don't argue with him, it's Sinatra, Paterno, and Pavarotti, amongst Italian immigrants, in that order. Just nod and move on, it will save you a lot of grief..

That RB they got is a stud. They have so much talent, all we have to do is look at the NFL draft every year. But JT Barrett can't throw or manage a passing game, and he is not Lamar Jackson or Pat White in running the read option because he is not elusive like those guys. I am not sure why the 3 year infatuation with him by Urban.
And their #1 tailback, Weber didn't play a snap due to injury.

You didn't you aren't from where I'm from, you can't know. Being Italian fed his popularity THERE, at that time, in that place. You weren't there, so you wouldn't know.

When I was in high school in the '70s, at one of our football banquets, Paterno was guest speaker. It was at The Sons of Italy, and part of the program was them giving him an award, basically for being Italian, even though the banquet was about the high school football team.

OSU got beat by Clemson 31-0. Urban hired the offensive guru to upgrade the play book. Still looked the same to me but it is early. One thing is clear, the QB is a below the line passer. He can make plays, but man that offense is not dynamic.

It wasn't every single Italian, but there where Italians that liked him, partly for the shared heritage.

when I was in high school in the 90s, I knew an irish family that liked the movie Nell with liam neeson. Im not saying all irish people love liam neeson, just the irish people in the community held him to higher esteem..

you guys weren't there, you don't know, you weren't there..

OSU got beat by Clemson 31-0. Urban hired the offensive guru to upgrade the play book. Still looked the same to me but it is early. One thing is clear, the QB is a below the line passer. He can make plays, but man that offense is not dynamic.
The offense isn't dynamic from a tempo or schematic standpoint, but they do have some explosive playmakers, and we saw those in the 2nd half yesterday. They have 3-4 legit home run hitters on the field every snap.

Pretty much a clone of Urban's Florida offense, with a lesser version of Tebow at QB.

There is some crazy stuff on this board....Pitt going 11-1..tearing down a slum and building a FB stadium etc
But this one is right up there.....

Make no mistake CFB games in August are important....but indicative of what?
2 quarters .....and a team and conference stink!!!!
LOL

This THREAD IS PRICELESS.
I started this thread to expose multiple fake Pitt fans on this board. Like clockwork it exceeded its purpose. Nothing more.

Believe me......... nobody has a better perspective of the way college football works than me. I know OSU has a great program.

Again, I started this simply to expose some weirdo Ped st fans that polute this board. Since most of their fan base feel they are above Pitt to play on a consistent basis.

Mission accomplished

Last edited:
I started this thread to expose multiple fake Pitt fans on this board. Like clockwork it exceeded its purpose. Nothing more.

Believe me......... nobody has a better perspective of the way college football works than me. I know OSU has a great program.

Again, I started this simply to expose some weirdo Ped st fans that polute this board. Mission accomplished

awesome troll job. As expected, Mauti/DionLewis/H2Pittisit was attracted to it like a fly to sh$$.

I just wish Pitt would've received extra fan support from the spelling challenged religious folk when Paul Chryst was the coach.

Again, I started this simply to expose some weirdo Ped st fans that polute this board. Since most of their fan base feel they are above Pitt to play on a consistent basis.

Mission accomplished
every time I think KanePA is a pitt fan, he posts something that makes me change my mind. then just when im convinced he is a psu troll, he posts something that makes me think he's just a weirdo from Kane pa, which if you've ever been to Kane, you have to be nuts..

He's got me confused..

Reactions: sherepower
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT