ADVERTISEMENT

Binghamton Game & Other Dribbles ...

DT_PITT

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jul 17, 2001
** The big story on the PantherLair Hoops message board this week was the identity reveal from @Vader_Storm , formerly known as prolific poster Putt12 from back in the day.

** His disclosure came within an honest, if not a little awkward, post trying to ground the Panther Hoops faithful after notching after a 48 point win.

** I find myself carrying some of the same grounding thoughts this evening, even after another hype-worthy win at the Pete. After all, it was another fun and exciting performance. But looking a little deeper, there are some questions about this team that still need to be answered.

** There really weren’t too many questions about Blake though. Well … that’s not completely true. Several may have been questioning him after his 0-4 start from three. But he kept shooting, and the fifth one fell. This began an 18 minute stretch for Blake when he scored all 26 of his game high points.

** My William & Mary freshman watching on their computer texted me to say “Blake Hinson is amazing.” Seems like a pretty smart kid.

** Blake was pretty amazing. But beyond his super deep shooting, it was equally impressive to see him put the ball on the floor and take it to the rack. Blake is Blake. There is no question there.

** The only question about Bub Carrington is how good he really is. It’s hard to stay grounded watching him make play after play. Tonight this included two next-level fluid step back threes along with a pair of positively pretty penetration finds in the lane. He can look awfully special, can’t he?

** Something I’ve noticed about Bub is that he never looks like he’s going that fast out there, and then you notice he’s gone by people.

** Here’s what really impressed me though. Bub himself was pretty hyped up after a strong take to the rack, which was followed by being tagged with a well-deserved technical foul for taunting.

** But he rode that emotion for the next three minutes to score nine more points. It’s good to see that whatever got him going took him to another level instead of bringing him down, even if referee Bert Smith had to give him a little well done whisper in his ear to keep him cool.

** Nonetheless, even if it wasn’t a triple double, 18-3-4 is still another great night.

** In fact, the greatest stat line of the night could be found next to Ish Leggett. 18-11 and 5 (with 4 steals) is super stuff. And he could have had more if he finishes a few more at the rim in the first few minutes.

** But after these three, and 89 Panther points, there are a few reasons to wonder about just how good our Panthers can really be.

** Zach Austin looks splendid on defense, but he’s got to start hitting some shots.

** Fede was equally splendid, if not superior, on defense. But he’s got to be a little more effective inside on offense too.

** And allow me to give credit to both for not forcing many shots when Ish, Bub and Blake were carrying the load. But will they score when they need to?

** Then there’s the question of the second unit. Other than the pick and pop threes with GDiaz, this group really struggled to create any offense.

** Will has a knack getting boards, and he knows his role well. But he’s not going to being a guy whose going to go and get you a bucket.

** JDiaz can maybe get you a bucket, but it’s tough to know when that’s going to come.

** Mike Hueitt still fascinates me, and plays with a bit of flash and skill. But Capel and staff don’t seem to have loads of confidence in him yet.

** This leads us the Jaland Lowe. It may not be hyperbole to suggest that his development this year might be more important to this team than any other player.

** Plain and simply, Jaland looked like a freshman today. He rushed his shots and missed them badly, and was a little loose with the handle.

** Still, it’s hard not to see there’s a player there who needs some confidence. And Pitt is a team who needs Jaland.

** What this team lacks at the moment is a 6th man. GDiaz can score more than Fede, but I still see the two of them as a pair who will fill up 40 minutes at the five.

** Last year, Nike came in and often made a difference. Sometimes a really big difference. And that was even after knowing we could get points from at least two of Blake, Jamarius, Nelly or Greg.

** This assessment of our team might seem a little harsh after two wins by an average of 38.5 points while scoring almost 95 points per game. And I’ll also add that that this team continues to demonstrate togetherness, chemistry and a real commitment to playing defense.

** But the going is certainly going to get tougher, even a little bit tougher on Monday against Florida Gulf Coast.

** After another fun win tonight, I hope the Panther Lair story next week will be further growth of the talents of the whole group, beyond the special trio we watched tonight.

** My William & Mary freshman watching on their computer texted me to say “Blake Hinson is amazing.” Seems like a pretty smart kid.

He takes after his mom!

:p

** Here’s what really impressed me though. Bub himself was pretty hyped up after a strong take to the rack, which was followed by being tagged with a well-deserved technical foul for taunting.

** But he rode that emotion for the next three minutes to score nine more points. It’s good to see that whatever got him going took him to another level instead of bringing him down, even if referee Bert Smith had to give him a little well done talk to keep him cool.

Those two (Bub and Torrence) were yapping at each other all game long up until that point. It was only a matter of time until one of them got a technical.

And they didn't really stop after the technical, but they did seem to ease up a little.

Reactions: jctrack
Yeah, you watch Lowe and see the talent but can just see the game speed up on him at times.

But Bub dictates the pace of the game.

And he’s the youngest player in the ACC.

It’s really, really impressive.

I'm going to go ahead and hope Jaland progresses as a freshman like Darelle Porter all the way back in the 87-88 season. I recall Darelle looked pretty overmatched in his first few games.

But he really improved as the year went on, even to the extent that he was named Pitt's Chevrolet Player of the Game in our infamous loss to Vandy and Barry Goheen in the NCAA tourament.

He takes after his mom!

:p

Those two (Bub and Torrence) were yapping at each other all game long up until that point. It was only a matter of time until one of them got a technical.

And they didn't really stop after the technical, but they did seem to ease up a little.

Let's just say Bub seemed to feed off of it!

Also, let me say my favorite take:

Technical fouls are stupid. Nobody is there to see technical fouls. If you dunk on someone, you should be able to talk some shit. Who cares if somebody hangs on the rim for .5 seconds too long.

When it starts affecting the game and players are ready to start punching each other or something, okay, but I hate when officials seem to be looking for them.

I'm going to go ahead and hope Jaland progresses as a freshman like Darelle Porter all the way back in the 87-88 season. I recall Darelle looked pretty overmatched in his first few games.

But he really improved as the year went on, even to the extent that he was named Pitt's Chevrolet Player of the Game in our infamous loss to Vandy and Barry Goheen in the NCAA tourament.

I’m waaaaaaay too young to follow that reference… but I’ll take your word for it and hope so too! 😁

Reactions: Ski11585

Technical fouls are stupid. Nobody is there to see technical fouls. If you dunk on someone, you should be able to talk some shit. Who cares if somebody hangs on the rim for .5 seconds too long.

When it starts affecting the game and players are ready to start punching each other or something, okay, but I hate when officials seem to be looking for them.

Yeah, but they let those guys get away with a lot of back and forth tonight. And getting in a guys face after a big play, especially a guy you have been jawing with all game, is exactly the kind of thing that can lead to players being ready to punch each other.

I’m sure you will also be the first one to blame the officials when a fight breaks out for not nipping it in the bud.

Reactions: Ray-Ray and Fredact

I hear you. But rules are the rules. Bub had it coming tonight.

And as far as hanging on the rim, you can hang on the rim all you want almost, as long as you don't pull yourself up.

In both of these cases, the refs HAVE to call them.

Like the Panthers tonight, sometimes I get more amped up for these games with my own expectations than I should. I thought our energy for the most part was good, and, I think we played hard for the most part with some lapses here and there. We certainly were not flat from the tip which was great to see.

A huge part of being a really good defensive team requires effort. tenacity, and playing with toughness. These elements were a huge reason for our success in the Howland / Dixon days of old. It takes willpower to consistently do it game in and game out and more importantly, want to do it game and game out. And a lot of times, players get complacent and are much more focused on one end of the court, offense, while completely forgetting about defense and not bringing the intensity needed to consistently win.

Our guys really got after it when the game started, and we cleaned up the glass well. I thought Ish was big time in both departments. He plays like an old school 2002-2004 Pitt guard and I really like seeing that. I thought all offseason he could be a Mike Cook caliber player with Cook type stats. He's been quite good in a lot of areas in 2 games.

I appreciate the shout out, but it really wasn't necessary. I just want to win a lot more games this year...

I really was hoping to see Austin knock down a few 3's, not really sure what I make of him so far.

I also just really wish Will could have been that Nike type/6th man this season. I was hoping he would have developed some ability to score but like you said DT, he isn't gonna do it. I think it's safe to say Will has reached his potential at this point which is solid defense and an above avg rebounder. That's pretty much it.

The issue I see with Lowe is not missing shots, it's consistently looking for his and not for his teammates. That's not what they need from him.

They have guys that can score. Lowe needs to play JRob style point when he's in there and that's enough. Solid PG play to give Bub a break from being on the ball. No need to force 8 shots in 15 minutes.

That being said he's young and will get better. But we could have something special if/when he gets it.

The issue I see with Lowe is not missing shots, it's consistently looking for his and not for his teammates. That's not what they need from him.

They have guys that can score. Lowe needs to play JRob style point when he's in there and that's enough. Solid PG play to give Bub a break from being on the ball. No need to force 8 shots in 15 minutes.

That being said he's young and will get better. But we could have something special if/when he gets it.
Yeah if he can provide ball handling relief and prevent turnovers it would be sufficient. But he rushed it too much at times and looked off. But also had a pair of nice assists. That is what we need right now. Scoring will come eventually.

Reactions: Cavalier Panther
** The big story on the PantherLair Hoops message board this week was the identity reveal from @Vader_Storm , formerly known as prolific poster Putt12 from back in the day.

** His disclosure came within an honest, if not a little awkward, post trying to ground the Panther Hoops faithful after notching after a 48 point win.

** I find myself carrying some of the same grounding thoughts this evening, even after another hype-worthy win at the Pete. After all, it was another fun and exciting performance. But looking a little deeper, there are some questions about this team that still need to be answered.

** There really weren’t too many questions about Blake though. Well … that’s not completely true. Several may have been questioning him after his 0-4 start from three. But he kept shooting, and the fifth one fell. This began an 18 minute stretch for Blake when he scored all 26 of his game high points.

** Blake was pretty amazing. But beyond his super deep shooting, it was equally impressive to see him put the ball on the floor and take it to the rack. Blake is Blake. There is no question there.

** The only question about Bub Carrington is how good he really is. It’s hard to stay grounded watching him make play after play. Tonight this included two next-level fluid step back threes along with a pair of positively pretty penetration finds in the lane. He can look awfully special, can’t he?

** Something I’ve noticed about Bub is that he never looks like he’s going that fast out there, and then you notice he’s gone by people.

** But he rode that emotion for the next three minutes to score nine more points. It’s good to see that whatever got him going took him to another level instead of bringing him down, even if referee Bert Smith had to give him a little well done whisper in his ear to keep him cool.

** Nonetheless, even if it wasn’t a triple double, 18-3-4 is still another great night.

** In fact, the greatest stat line of the night could be found next to Ish Leggett. 18-11 and 5 (with 4 steals) is super stuff. And he could have had more if he finishes a few more at the rim in the first few minutes.

** But after these three, and 89 Panther points, there are a few reasons to wonder about just how good our Panthers can really be.

** Zach Austin looks splendid on defense, but he’s got to start hitting some shots.

** Fede was equally splendid, if not superior, on defense. But he’s got to be a little more effective inside on offense too.

** And allow me to give credit to both for not forcing many shots when Ish, Bub and Blake were carrying the load. But will they score when they need to?

** Then there’s the question of the second unit. Other than the pick and pop threes with GDiaz, this group really struggled to create any offense.

** Will has a knack getting boards, and he knows his role well. But he’s not going to being a guy whose going to go and get you a bucket.

** JDiaz can maybe get you a bucket, but it’s tough to know when that’s going to come.

** Mike Hueitt still fascinates me, and plays with a bit of flash and skill. But Capel and staff don’t seem to have loads of confidence in him yet.

** This leads us the Jaland Lowe. It may not be hyperbole to suggest that his development this year might be more important to this team than any other player.

** Plain and simply, Jaland looked like a freshman today. He rushed his shots and missed them badly, and was a little loose with the handle.

** Still, it’s hard not to see there’s a player there who needs some confidence. And Pitt is a team who needs Jaland.

** What this team lacks at the moment is a 6th man. GDiaz can score more than Fede, but I still see the two of them as a pair who will fill up 40 minutes at the five.

** Last year, Nike came in and often made a difference. Sometimes a really big difference. And that was even after knowing we could get points from at least two of Blake, Jamarius, Nelly or Greg.

** This assessment of our team might seem a little harsh after two wins by an average of 38.5 points while scoring almost 95 points per game. And I’ll also add that that this team continues to demonstrate togetherness, chemistry and a real commitment to playing defense.

** But the going is certainly going to get tougher, even a little bit tougher on Monday against Florida Gulf Coast.

** After another fun win tonight, I hope the Panther Lair story next week will be further growth of the talents of the whole group, beyond the special trio we watched tonight.
I think Jaland is simply trying too hard to impress. You can see the talent and I think he will impress when he gets more time and settles in. Certainly no complaints about Bub, except he needs to keep his cool a little better.

Good Dribbles, as always, DT.

There are a lot of positives and things to like so far...but it's pretty clear to me what the concerns are going forward: Jaland's progress/backcourt depth, scoring from the 3 spot, and FT shooting.

Jaland has to become at least serviceable, or Ish and Carrington are going to be worn down by season's end. Really sucks that we lost Dior. Can see already we needed him.

Austin indeed has shown good D, but he's been invisible on offense. If he can't put the ball in the basket, HCJC is going to have to consider turning to JDG. JDG has at least shown the ability to hit shots and be another weapon. And having 2 7-footers in the starting lineup is enticing.

The FT shooting was better tonight, but 70% still isn't too great. We don't have any guys who are money at the charity stripe this year. Last year we had 3 of them.

There are a lot of positives and things to like so far...but it's pretty clear to me what the concerns are going forward: Jaland's progress/backcourt depth, scoring from the 3 spot, and FT shooting.

Jaland has to become at least serviceable, or Ish and Carrington are going to be worn down by season's end. Really sucks that we lost Dior. Can see already we needed him.

Austin indeed has shown good D, but he's been invisible on offense. If he can't put the ball in the basket, HCJC is going to have to consider turning to JDG. JDG has at least shown the ability to hit shots and be another weapon. And having 2 7-footers in the starting lineup is enticing.

The FT shooting was better tonight, but 70% still isn't too great. We don't have any guys who are money at the charity stripe this year. Last year we had 3 of them.
That 70% was almost 80% before the backups and backups to the backups got in. As the competition increases you won't see the starters playing only 50% of the second half - unless Pitt keeps blowing out teams

What I really liked about tonight was the first few minutes Binghamton showed a lot of energy and aggressiveness which had Pitt a little off-balance. Our guys responded effectively and did so again at the start of the second half after Binghamton had a good end to the first half

Definitely need a couple more guys to emerge as depth scoring. I doubt we'll see many, if any, games where all 3 of Bub/Blake/Ishmael are cold, but games where 1 or 2 are cold are gonna happen. And Fede is gonna have games where he doesn't get to 10 points, maybe sometimes the same games. To win those games we're gonna need multiple guys combining to pick up the slack

Last edited:
I don’t mind the sloppy play of Jaland as he adjusts to the speed and physicality of college hoops ..what is concerning is his shot
You can’t start your shot and then pull back into your body…makes it all arms. Needs to be one piece motion to be a consistent shooter. Never to late to tweak that motion

Reactions: TONY13

Not too much to disagree with. I worry about outside shooting when Hinson isn’t on. I also don’t feel great right now about our depth. We don’t have a bench guy who can come in as a spark like a Nike and put up some points and cause havoc. Jaland doesn’t seem like his ceiling is real high as a freshman. He is pretty small out there and he really needs to tighten up his handle. I am curious too about Huilet. He seems like a kid that could provide small bursts.

I don’t mind the sloppy play of Jaland as he adjusts to the speed and physicality of college hoops ..what is concerning is his shot
You can’t start your shot and then pull back into your body…makes it all arms. Needs to be one piece motion to be a consistent shooter. Never to late to tweak that motion
He does have nice touch on his shot and good rotation and arc. Needs better body balance on his shot. Fades.

For what it's worth, after our 2-0 start, we are up to #49 in Kenpom.
Kenpom and the metrics are going to like this year’s team so much more than last year. This team is just so much more efficient on both ends.

Reactions: cabe23
All good points!

I would only add that we need Lowe to gain some confidence out there because if CC gets into foul trouble I worry about his game readiness. The only way for him to gain confidence is to play. imho

Now you’re taking me back.

Pitt put up 89 pts with Fede and Austin combining for 5 pts , at this point I’m not at all concerned about their offense .

If Hinson and Bub have off days or foul trouble in the same game they’ll have to struggle to win as would most other schools if their two best players have off nights .

Leggett impressed last night , aggressive and determined.

Lowe is struggling , but most freshmen do , that what’s make Bubs play that more impressive . Austin is too and he’s not a freshman . Be patient on both .

What a luxury to have the twins coming off the bench , their length affects the game on both ends of the court .

Unless the shot clock is expiring my advise to Wil is pass ! He needs to focus on midrange jumpers and put backs.

This team like all teams will lose a few games it shouldn’t, but they’re going to win a lot of games this year and no one’s going to look forward to playing them . They’re good and play an exciting brand of ball . It’s going to be a fun season !!

This team is long , bouncy , and quick .
The defense isn’t great - but the potential is there .
My wife said “it’s great to see a team who rebounds this well “
They are a fun team to watch

Reactions: TWPitt
Like the Panthers tonight, sometimes I get more amped up for these games with my own expectations than I should. I thought our energy for the most part was good, and, I think we played hard for the most part with some lapses here and there. We certainly were not flat from the tip which was great to see.

A huge part of being a really good defensive team requires effort. tenacity, and playing with toughness. These elements were a huge reason for our success in the Howland / Dixon days of old. It takes willpower to consistently do it game in and game out and more importantly, want to do it game and game out. And a lot of times, players get complacent and are much more focused on one end of the court, offense, while completely forgetting about defense and not bringing the intensity needed to consistently win.

Our guys really got after it when the game started, and we cleaned up the glass well. I thought Ish was big time in both departments. He plays like an old school 2002-2004 Pitt guard and I really like seeing that. I thought all offseason he could be a Mike Cook caliber player with Cook type stats. He's been quite good in a lot of areas in 2 games.

I appreciate the shout out, but it really wasn't necessary. I just want to win a lot more games this year...

Ish looks like and reminds me a ton of Cam Wright except better on O.

If I recall correct Cam was #5 too.

Reactions: rockypanther
I still feel the pain of Barry Goheen and I reaally liked Darelle Porter. So far:

1. I am shocked how good Carrington has looked. Amazed and a few more superlatives. Howecer, lets see how he does when he plays against much better guards.
2. Hinson has improved. those workouts with the NBA have taken his game up a level. Some questioned if he would stand out as our best player, and I think it is clear, many times he will. Especially when we go against the Dukes and Carolinas and Miami.
3. I was very impressed with Leggett last night. I had not seen him play before this week like many of you had. He will stand up very well against much better competition.,
4. Z. Austin is a special athlete. I think we will get a lot from him as we go through the year. He is fun to watch.
5. Federicio, G and J Graham give us the best rim protection Pitt may have ever had, as a team. Wow. They can stand up to anyone in the ACC, in my opinion.
6. Like many said, we know what Will Jeffress is. He can be a glue guy, hustle, get boards, be scrappy, he is not going to carry the team, but can be an important piece.
7. as for not having a clear sixth man, I am not too worried about that, because I think the team overall is more talented and they have several players that can take over a game like Nike did last year.
8. Like many have said, I am not sure what to think of Lowe. It is hard to come in as a freshman and be really good. I agree he is trying too hard. taking too many shots and is too loose with the ball. He may be a year away., I think his PT will drop a lot against stiffer competition until he and Capel figure out how he fits this year.
9. We will learn a lot more about these kids as the level increases. I would like to see a better assist to shots made ratio, better foul shooting, but that is nit picking.
10. I do think Capel is going to have a challenge with PT, keeping people happy when competition increased.
11. Finally, I am not shocked by the Vader reveal ! He has too much knowledge to have come out of thin air. Love his views !

I sat next to DAP last night.

Dude. They shot 76%+

Reactions: Fredact
Kenpom and the metrics are going to like this year’s team so much more than last year. This team is just so much more efficient on both ends.
2 games where we easily beat the point spread is an indication we started underrated in the computer models (early lines are set off the models).

If you recall last season, after the stinky early season games, Pitt when on a tear of covering the spread, as they’d so messed up their metrics in those early games, that they were still underrated in the models vs their then talent.

Reactions: Cavalier Panther

I think you nailed this. There's been criticism on here about his play and much of it
is true. As I watch him, I can see the talent. "Lowe needs to play like JRob" is a good
comparison. Capel himself was a PG, he should be able to slow him down, settle
the ball, and set up his team mates. His shots will come out of the natural flow of
the offense. He has to be the pg who gets that "flow" going.

He's going to get this right, he's too good not to. As many have said, he's a freshman.
IMO it'll come in time.

Last edited:
One other thing on Lowe...... His fellow frosh team mate is killing it. That might be
putting a little more pressure on him. They both came in here highly touted, but
Carrington is shocking everyone on this board (well, maybe not Vader). As I said,
above, it's Capel's job to get him to play within himself. Let's see what he's like as
the season progresses.

I think one underrated stat at least through first 30 minutes was lack of offensive rebounding by Binghamton. They had maybe 3 before back ups played rest of game. We may not be as balanced scoring wise with losses of Elliott and Sibande but they will likely ride a 3 headed dragon. But with improved rebounding and defense it is hopefully a wash.

Totally agree. I was watching an NFL game there was like 20 penalties. How stupid, no one wants to see that.

Reactions: pittjas

Listening to Blake’s comments, after the game, he admitted his and the teams D needs to be and can be better. I think Hueitt could be a sleeper. I think he might help off the bench. Time will tell!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT