ADVERTISEMENT

Binghamton Game & Other Dribbles ...

Kenpom and the metrics are going to like this year’s team so much more than last year. This team is just so much more efficient on both ends.

If this team turns out to actually be much more efficient on both ends we are going to win a lot more games than last season.

Kind of by definition.

Reactions: pittjas
Watching Lowe through the first 2 games, looks to me like he is pressing some. Trying too hard to show he deserves to play more minutes. As is often the case when a player - especially a newcomer - does that, it has backfired a bit.

The way this team is composed, Jaland is going to HAVE to play. Of course the better he plays, the more he’ll play. He needs to settle down and stop forcing things quite so much. He can impress and earn more minutes by being steady: handling; distributing; playing solid D. The shots and points will come.

Reactions: PollCat99
** The big story on the PantherLair Hoops message board this week was the identity reveal from @Vader_Storm , formerly known as prolific poster Putt12 from back in the day.
Though the boards have certainly seen some great posters emerge over the last 10 years or so, they were a better place back when B-Man, Putt12, Harve, 17-15, Lunzhegu, Simmer, BuccoBoy, the Doke aliases and a few other notable posters were regulars. You have stayed throughout, so has Jeff, 4upmc is still seen regularly as is ThirteenNine and many other great posters (ex: Ski, mo cheeks, elsalvador, etc). Obviously a few guys unfortunately have passed away. But, it was better back when all of those guys were participating regularly (I apologize to those that I missed as I know that there are more than a few handles in the mind that are not coming immediately to memory) and the Pitt team was in its glory days. A lot of great basketball talk each day on both Rivals and Scout.

It is hard to believe it has been about 15 years since that 2009 team. I think that was the last time nearly all of the aforementioned were posting regularly at the same time.

I did not figure Vader was Putt. Saw some similarities, but did not quite think they were the same guy. I guess it is just the passage of time.

Jaland Lowe has played 2 college basketball games.
Dont think anyone is saying hes bad. The issue is carrington looking like a superstar and lowe looking like a freshman. Bub is creating unrealistic expectations and i think lowe is pushing to try and match bub right now

Dont think anyone is saying hes bad. The issue is carrington looking like a superstar and lowe looking like a freshman. Bub is creating unrealistic expectations and i think lowe is pushing to try and match bub right now
I suspect there’s at least a little truth to your last line.

Reactions: jpklein
Though the boards have certainly seen some great posters emerge over the last 10 years or so, they were a better place back when B-Man, Putt12, Harve, 17-15, Lunzhegu, Simmer, BuccoBoy, the Doke aliases and a few other notable posters were regulars. You have stayed throughout, so has Jeff, 4upmc is still seen regularly as is ThirteenNine and many other great posters (ex: Ski, mo cheeks, elsalvador, etc). Obviously a few guys unfortunately have passed away. But, it was better back when all of those guys were participating regularly (I apologize to those that I missed as I know that there are more than a few handles in the mind that are not coming immediately to memory) and the Pitt team was in its glory days. A lot of great basketball talk each day on both Rivals and Scout.

It is hard to believe it has been about 15 years since that 2009 team. I think that was the last time nearly all of the aforementioned were posting regularly at the same time.

I did not figure Vader was Putt. Saw some similarities, but did not quite think they were the same guy. I guess it is just the passage of time.
While we are at it, let’s give a nod to our friends who have passed … most notably Harve74, California Panther, geno2u and Drew1208.

But he doesn’t look like he doesn’t belong on an ACC roster like Hugley did for 3 years and people loved him.

I think this is exactly right. Lowe just needs to be patient and not worried about being compared to Bub.

idk about that .. he looks perfectly comfortable .. just needs to make some shots

He's 2-6 shooting on shots within about 5 feet or so at the basket including a few easy ones he should have made.

He has made multiple bad passes, including one where it was way over the head of the receiver and it sailed right into the crowd.

He had a shot clock violation and wasn't aware of the time left on the clock where he got stuck with the ball.

He has not closed out on 3 point shooters well enough on defense.

His bread and butter should be in the PnR and attacking the paint. He is a strong finisher on the inside, has the ability to use both hands and has a number of floaters he uses, and can easily make dumpoffs to the bigs. Instead, half of his total shots on the season have been 3's. He has and still is a very streaky shooter from 3. He is currently 0-6 on threes this year. He needs to attack the paint more.

We need him to be a game manager on offense and run the offense. We dont need him to be a go to scorer. We have enough scorers on this team.

Im not being harsh on him. Im being realistic. He needs to play his game that he played in the EYBL and be a balanced passing point guard, not the high school point guard scoring 30 points per game.

Reactions: FireballZ
Someone in the locker room every single day
I always heard differently, and this was back in the days when I was very connected to the staff and some on the team. I heard that Cam may not have been the true senior leader that the staff may have hoped, but he certainly was not a detriment.

Reactions: FireballZ
He's 2-6 shooting on shots within about 5 feet or so at the basket including a few easy ones he should have made.

He has made multiple bad passes, including one where it was way over the head of the receiver and it sailed right into the crowd.

He had a shot clock violation and wasn't aware of the time left on the clock where he got stuck with the ball.

He has not closed out on 3 point shooters well enough on defense.

His bread and butter should be in the PnR and attacking the paint. He is a strong finisher on the inside, has the ability to use both hands and has a number of floaters he uses, and can easily make dumpoffs to the bigs. Instead, half of his total shots on the season have been 3's. He has and still is a very streaky shooter from 3. He is currently 0-6 on threes this year. He needs to attack the paint more.

We need him to be a game manager on offense and run the offense. We dont need him to be a go to scorer. We have enough scorers on this team.

Im not being harsh on him. Im being realistic. He needs to play his game that he played in the EYBL and be a balanced passing point guard, not the high school point guard scoring 30 points per game.

I'm not going to contend much of what you said .. but I still hold to my point .. he looks perfectly comfortable on the floor. When someone says "the game needs to slow down for him" that means it looks like they're rushing and they look uncomfortable .. he might be pressing a bit too much because his fellow backcourt mate is dominating and get a lot of attention .. but Jaland looks like he belongs on the floor.

Capel wants him taking the 3pt shots. If he's open, he should let it fly. Capel said he had to yell at him a few times before the season for passing open shots. They obviously need to start going in .. but those are good shots.

I'm not sitting here saying he's played great .. not at all actually .. you can critique him all you want .. no problem from me there .. I'm just saying that from my own eye test, the kid has it and it'll click at some point .. this isn't X Johnson gunning down the lane out of control and chucking the ball out of bounds .. Jaland looks very much in control of what he's doing.

I'm not going to contend much of what you said .. but I still hold to my point .. he looks perfectly comfortable on the floor. When someone says "the game needs to slow down for him" that means it looks like they're rushing and they look uncomfortable .. he might be pressing a bit too much because his fellow backcourt mate is dominating and get a lot of attention .. but Jaland looks like he belongs on the floor.

Capel wants him taking the 3pt shots. If he's open, he should let it fly. Capel said he had to yell at him a few times before the season for passing open shots. They obviously need to start going in .. but those are good shots.

I'm not sitting here saying he's played great .. not at all actually .. you can critique him all you want .. no problem from me there .. I'm just saying that from my own eye test, the kid has it and it'll click at some point .. this isn't X Johnson gunning down the lane out of control and chucking the ball out of bounds .. Jaland looks very much in control of what he's doing.
Or dribbling off his foot!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT