ADVERTISEMENT

Bub says he's coming back next year

This is the best draft capsule of Carrington that I have seen. 47.7% on driving layups?!

One of the more interesting names teams will monitor during the predraft process, Carlton Carrington has divided scouts with his shotmaking, playmaking production and some athletic and statistical red flags. He finished the regular season averaging 1.9 threes, 5.2 boards and 4.2 assists, impressive production for a 6'5", 18-year-old point guard in the ACC. But he also shot 47.7 percent on layups, made just 23 half-court field goals at the rim and recorded 17 steals in 31 games. Scouts are drawn to his positional size, pull-up game and live-dribble passing, but they're torn by his lack of rim pressure, heavy reliance on jumpers and scary defensive playmaking rate.

That analysis is spot-on. Bub lacks NBA athleticism, which is why he cant get to the bucket and attack the rim. But he has the size, handle, age, and jump-shooting going for him. I'd love him to come back but think he has more to lose than to gain. He isnt going to get more athletic. If he comes back and still cant get to the bucket and is a year older, his stock drops. What he could be is what he has going for him.

This is the best draft capsule of Carrington that I have seen. 47.7% on driving layups?!

One of the more interesting names teams will monitor during the predraft process, Carlton Carrington has divided scouts with his shotmaking, playmaking production and some athletic and statistical red flags. He finished the regular season averaging 1.9 threes, 5.2 boards and 4.2 assists, impressive production for a 6'5", 18-year-old point guard in the ACC. But he also shot 47.7 percent on layups, made just 23 half-court field goals at the rim and recorded 17 steals in 31 games. Scouts are drawn to his positional size, pull-up game and live-dribble passing, but they're torn by his lack of rim pressure, heavy reliance on jumpers and scary defensive playmaking rate.
I think we would all agree with that assessment, if we remove the blue and gold colored glasses.

Bub has some development to do before he goes pro. He can improve and he knows it. My concern with both him and Jaland is that one or both of them will opt for the NIL at a blue blood to get more visibility. Going to NCAAT's gives them visibility and we aren't going in their first year. They both may decide their options improve by going to a Kansas, Kentucky, Houston, UNC just by having better visibility at somewhere other than Pitt.

Bub has some development to do before he goes pro. He can improve and he knows it. My concern with both him and Jaland is that one or both of them will opt for the NIL at a blue blood to get more visibility. Going to NCAAT's gives them visibility and we aren't going in their first year. They both may decide their options improve by going to a Kansas, Kentucky, Houston, UNC just by having better visibility at somewhere other than Pitt.
Regarding your NIL point, the one advantage Pitt holds is these guys obviously liked Pitt and the staff enough to commit here in the first place. They both got huge minutes and accolades as freshmen and the staff and program are very stable. Hopefully that counts for something.

Reactions: SteelBowl70
The only thing Bub lacks athletically is the physical strength needed to play at the next level . He’s a thinly built guy , but he’s only 18 . Maturing and the weight room will take care of that .

Basketball wise shooting the 3 better is all I’d like to see him improve . With strength he’ll get to the rim and finish much easier .

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
Regarding your NIL point, the one advantage Pitt holds is these guys obviously liked Pitt and the staff enough to commit here in the first place. They both got huge minutes and accolades as freshmen and the staff and program are very stable. Hopefully that counts for something.

I dont fear losing a player due to NIL dollars. I do fear losing a player who is maybe homesick (Lowe) or who wants to play at a blue blood. Pitt would probably be able to match offers for their own players but they cant become a Kentucky or Kansas

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT