ADVERTISEMENT

BYU AD Tom Holmoe: Intention Is To Find Power 5 Home Near Future, LINK!

CaptainSidneyReilly

Chancellor
Dec 25, 2006
Expansion happening sooner as expected?

ARTICLE & LINK!

BYU athletic director Tom Holmoe had no shortage of news to deliver at a campus event Tuesday, its unscheduled future home games vs. Notre Dame, its relationships with the Pac-12 and ESPN, and more.

But Holmoe's most eyebrow-raising comments came in regards to BYU's future as an independent football program -- or, if the Cougars have their way, their future as something else.

"It's our intention that we would be playing in what they commonly call a 'Power 5' conference sometime in the near future," Desert News. [/I]"We're trying to put together games ... that would give us a position to better ourselves, and play in the biggest games that we can, meaning that would be conference championships and, the New Year's Day games and [the College Football Playoff]."

Holmoe said the gap in financial resources between current Power 5 programs and BYU was "real," and the school couldn't afford to let that gap expand "indefinitely." BYU has been linked with Big 12 expansion in the past, and Holmoe strongly implied he would be monitoring the league's current stance that it will not need a 12-team, two-division league -- and the championship game that comes with it -- to break into the Playoff.

"The question is, will [not expanding] be the solution to what they want to do?" Holmoe asked rhetorically. "Will that be their final move? That remains to be seen."

There's been some good news on the BYU independence front lately, as But there's been no such report where the SEC is concerned and even if a shift there would help ease the Cougars' scheduling difficulties (and bottom line), it wouldn't erase the financial disparities, either.

If Holmoe is being this up front about needing a Power 5 invite -- while he said the school isn't about to just give up independence tomorrow, "that's what we've got and that's where we are" isn't exactly a ringing endorsement -- it's safe to assume BYU's spreadsheets aren't looking independence-friendly at the moment. But where could the Cougars land? A quick, knee-jerk ranking of the Power 5 conferences, from least to most likely to offer BYU safe haven:

5. SEC. Even college football realignment doesn't get this weird. Plagues of frogs raining from the sky don't get this weird, frankly.

4. ACC. This conference already has its religious football independent, thanks.

3. Big Ten. Well, it wouldn't be all that much stranger than inviting Maryland. But it would still be stranger than inviting Maryland.

2. Pac-12. Now we're getting into "not completely implausible territory," but it's worth remembering that even if the Pac-12 is interested in BYU -- hardly a given -- it has to also be interested in a second school, since no one wants a 13-team conference. And who might that second school be? Boise State? Fresno State? Finding a team No. 14 that could actually add to the Pac-12's revenues rather than just divide them by another school seems ... difficult.

1. Big 12. Yep, just who you'd expect in this slot, but not because of the old BYU-to-the-Big 12 rumors so much as the simple fact that Bob Bowlsby's league has -- by far -- the most obvious motivation to expand. The SEC, ACC, Big Ten and Pac-12 could sit tight for the next decade and, most likely, no one will bat an eye; the Big 12, meanwhile, is one season into the CFP era and has had eyes batted at it from all directions. If the NCAA gives the thumbs-down to non-divisional conference title games and the CFP Selection Committee continues to give the thumbs-down to teams that haven't played a conference title game, it won't have much choice. Twelve teams it'll have to be.

And if it comes to that, unlike the Pac-12, there's several co-expansion partners that make some level of sense for the Big 12 (Houston, UCF, SMU, etc.).

It's not likely today, it won't be likely tomorrow, it likely won't be likely by the end of next year or the year after that ... but until either BYU kisses independence goodbye or the Big 12 knows it doesn't need expansion to rank fifth-out-of-the-Power 5, expect the speculation to continue.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/eye-on-college-football/25081119/byu-ad-tom-holmoe-intention-is-to-find-power-5-home-in-near-future
images

Re: It Will Be Interesting To See What Happens & Future Changes?

Originally posted by JHud986:
The 2 teams on the outside looking in, Cincinnati
and U Conn.

This is just me, but I still see all 5 Power Conferences going to 14 or 16 Teams and 80 teams, or 4 Conferences at 64 Teams or 72 Teams of 18 in 4 Conferences into a For Profit College Football League. I doubt we will see anything less than 72 or 80 schools in such a league and never 96 schools.

At some point, the money being made in College Football will always head to a more professional league and retraction is not an option back to a collegiate league. I still see a move from 4 Teams into the CFB Playoffs moving to 6 to 8 Teams with all Power Conferences whether they be 4, 5, or 6 having one Team in it!

Although I think this won't happen until after 2020 after the Big Ten Football Money Contracts are completed in 2018, and others come up for renegotiations in the 2020-26 years. One never knows the School President that pulls the trigger with a Conference Commissioner as seen at Maryland a few years ago.

The Big Ten will be far more pro-active after 2018 if not sooner?

SEC won't stand by and allow them to grow bigger without a response?

The Big-12 is always 1 or 2 Teams away from falling apart? Even Kansas may leave for the Big Ten.

The PAC-12 has to look at Central Time Zone for Network and TV Ratings?

The ACC fate lies with what Notre Dame may do? Or the ACC Network coming on Board before 2018?

Clearly, the ACC Composition of Schools is the biggest footprint in the Nation right now, and the Big Ten and SEC needs and wants some of those schools footprints to expand their own revenues and footprints for the future..

This is all based on what I read and followed years ago, and have not kept up on it as before, and may be out of date to be fair.

Yet, I predicted on another (Non-Rivals Website Now Defunct) and had great discussions with Educators, Sports Lawyers, and Media Executives way back in the late 1990s, on the future of College Football and that did happen on TV Cable Revenues.

The TV Subscribers Money Expansion caused that to happen but New Technology can change some this and influence a new dynamic of changes. However, everyone of those Media EBITDA Contracts (Companies E
arnings Before Interest, Taxes, Depreciation, and Amortization), are built on expanding their model so they can cash out some day, not just keep it going for boola, boola reasons.

Consequently, College Football Program Branding is now just as important and maintaining up to date facilities, paying top dollars for coaches, and winning 10+ games in some years is the way to keep the University Athletics in the game.

This is what Chancellor Gallagher knows and it demands a vision to make it happen at Pitt as well as find an Athletic Director that sees it and carries it out for Pitt to be part of that Brave New College Athletics Future.

Furthermore, at some point, just like the NFL-AFL Merger happen, costs have to come under more control at the very time, social values standards demand shared equality and when cost are out pacing revenues 4 to 1 in growth, as geographic locations and traditional rivalries are going to have to comeback to keep attendance part of the growing revenues.

I still see a "For Profit College League" run by the Non-Profit Universities at some point will adopt smart business plans that will include Conference Re-Alignment since it will make more sense than it is right now. Just like when Pittsburgh, Cleveland and Baltimore switched to the AFC for $3 million each in the late 1960's. Geography will play a role and Traditional Rivalries will return, in any new expansion or re-organization plan because it makes smart business and greater returns for all.

Therefore, the smart College Presidents and Chancellors are gearing up for these Brave New Changes to come. Growing contributions will come with Corporate-College Partnerships not just Alumni, Pro and College Attendance is dropping and Game Expenses Rising even as Fans watch both sports more but that is on TV and other Tech Devices. Here are a few good article link on the subjects:

The Future of College? A brash tech entrepreneur thinks he can reinvent higher education by stripping it down to its essence, eliminating lectures and tenure along with football games, ivy-covered buildings, and research libraries. What if he's right?http://www.theatlantic.com/features/archive/2014/08/the-future-of-college/375071/

The real reason the Big Ten added Maryland and Rutgers -- survival
http://www.si.com/college-football/2014/06/18/big-ten-expansion#

Why Not All Universities Will Survive:
https://www.higheredjobs.com/blog/postDisplay.cfm?post=538&blog=11

I know UCincy, UConn, and Houston are working on facilities, coaching, and branding to make them more attractive for expansion candidates bringing those cities and regions. Temple is trying to but is surrounded by schools hard to compete against now as Rutgers, UMD, PITT, PSU, and UVA are in the Power Conferences.

I see others too, in BYU, Boise, UCF, and USF, would add up to 72 New Power Teams. this would provide 8 Power Conferences with 9 Teams, or 6 conferences with 12 Teams, or 5 Conferences with 14 Teams and 70 Teams. If the 5 Power Conferences remain and move to 16 teams that would provide opportunities to expand to 80 teams. If it goes to 96 but I doubt it, one can throw in Temple, SMU, UNLV, and others too.

Yet, as seen in the Big-12 they like and want to stay at 10 Teams and will not expand unless they can see more money for each School, and that goes for the current 65 Teams in the Power Conferences right now, that includes Notre Dame.

Or the Ivy League may change their Academic Scholarships and decide Athletic and Profits are just fine for their time to arrive and they can take Duke, Wake, Northwestern, Vanderbilt or some others smaller private or semi-private schools and go to 12 Schools?

It will be interesting how BYU and other Schools look for ways to enter the Power Conferences for their futures or how the Power Conferences decide to turn again one another to expand their footprints, or contract the others footprint, or get smart and Re-Organize under a Non-Profits Institutions that develop a "For Profit College Football Model" that will include more teams and increase revenues while reducing costs growth.

Or watch a guy like President Obama or another President like Hillary Clinton step in and try to do it by Executive Order, or Congress and Senate do it with them over Title IX Issues this would cause, one never knows how those winds blow from DC?

I do not see it happening anytime soon, but so long as College Football Costs grow faster even with higher TV Revenues for all Power Conferences Schools, so long as more money can be made there will be changes on the way to insure it keeps growing, just like the NFL has proven it can be done.

Just some thoughts, and respect others that differ, and just a hunch!

images
This post was edited on 2/27 1:36 AM by CaptainSidneyReilly

Re: B11ybaroo, Got To Give Him Credit Living & Not Changing His Last Name?

One can see growing up, there is no question, some of his friends no doubt made fun of his name? He had to develop a strong sense of self and one has to be proud that he keeps working hard and coming back even if he fails sometimes like all of us.

As most Mormons I met, they work hard every day especially for the church after they work all day. I became a friend of a Mormon FBI Agent!

BYU has a unique program that has many older players since they require 2 years of missionary service. some players are 24 and 25 years old I am told?

What he did at CAL for the Board:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Holmoe

images

This post was edited on 2/27 2:15 AM by CaptainSidneyReilly

Re: It Will Be Interesting To See What Happens & Future Changes?

you are a keen observer of the cfb scene-and i always look forward to reading your well thought out positions. thank you for sharing.

Wait till the Mormons get a load of Morgantown!

It might scar them for life!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT