ADVERTISEMENT

Campus Construction

Gep Dawg

Freshman
Dec 6, 2015
Just got back from a short family fun trip in Pittsburgh with the family. Of course hit the campus for a quick run around to reminisce. Had lunch at the Porch, spent time in the Cathedral, Heinz Chapel and even caught up with Chas at the Stop. It never gets old seeing the ole alma mater (I'm a Philly alumnus so I don't get to see it as much as locals) and being there always makes me so proud to be Panther.

One thing did that shocked me was how much construction they are doing up the Hill. Really had a hard time even finding a way to drive up to Sutherland Hall, my junior dorm. I was shocked last year how much had changed since I was there last about 10 years ago. But I think even more changed since last summer to this summer...seemed like even more than since when I was an even an undergrad in the mid 90... it was crazy! I'm sure its less the changes than the construction blocking off so many streets...but for first time I felt a little lost at times driving around. And that wasn't the case even last year! Once I found Sutherland and saw Fitzgerald and Trees Hall I got my bearings back.

I know once all the buildings are completed it will be more recognizable. My questions is besides Victory Heights what else are the building on campus? And what did the knock down? There was one corner near the hospital where it looked like they knocked down an entire block!

Last edited:
You are not meant to drive to Sutherland. Must walk cardiac hill through the Pete for old times sake.

Great point. I wanted to but the family was against it haha. The wife says I need to come back myself or with friends to properly relive the old times. Believe it or not when I was there it was Pitt Stadium so that shortcut wasn't there. Had to cut through all the old science buildings from the acropolis instead.

But I've obviously done the walk since the Pete and that is a great new way to get up there!

Last edited:
havent been to oakland in awhile. is that monstrosity of a hospital built yet on forbes?

Three projects. The first is the new transplantation and heart hospital on the corner of Fifth and DeSoto, where the old children’s hospital was.

The second is the new student recreation/health center. This is on O’Hara where the LRDC and the O’Hara parking garage used to be, next to Western Psych. It’s a really large project, I think the equivalent of 10 stories.

The third is Victory Heights next to the Pete, which kind of bleeds over into the construction site for the student Rec center. They’re going to be kind of interconnected with a pathway between them along the hillside.

There’s also the end stages of a new water chiller plant back behind the Cost Center on the other side of the hill, and there might still be some underground work related to the pipes and stuff that accompany that.

The area that I think will end up getting torn down and built upon is "fraternity row". There is almost no need for that housing to take up that valuable real estate. They were built in 1980 and the Greek life is dead at PITT. Move them to South Oakland.

Reactions: Gep Dawg
The area that I think will end up getting torn down and built upon is "fraternity row". There is almost no need for that housing to take up that valuable real estate. They were built in 1980 and the Greek life is dead at PITT. Move them to South Oakland.
tear it down and put up anther hospital.

• Haha
Just got back from a short family fun trip in Pittsburgh with the family. Of course hit the campus for a quick run around to reminisce. Had lunch at the Porch, spent time in the Cathedral, Heinz Chapel and even caught up with Chas at the Stop. It never gets old seeing the ole alma mater (I'm a Philly alumnus so I don't get to see it as much as locals) and being there always makes me so proud to be Panther.

One thing did that shocked me was how much construction they are doing up the Hill. Really had a hard time even finding a way to drive up to Sutherland Hall, my junior dorm. I was shocked last year how much had changed since I was there last about 10 years ago. But I think even more changed since last summer to this summer...seemed like even more than since when I was an even an undergrad in the mid 90... it was crazy! I'm sure its less the changes than the construction blocking off so many streets...but for first time I felt a little lost at times driving around. And that wasn't the case even last year! Once I found Sutherland and saw Fitzgerald and Trees Hall I got my bearings back.

I know once all the buildings are completed it will be more recognizable. My questions is besides Victory Heights what else are the building on campus? And what did the knock down? There was one corner near the hospital where it looked like they knocked down an entire block!

I had this theory as a student that Pitt waited until later in the summer to close down roads and start construction projects, so that arriving parents could see that they were improving things.

Three projects. The first is the new transplantation and heart hospital on the corner of Fifth and DeSoto, where the old children’s hospital was.

The second is the new student recreation/health center. This is on O’Hara where the LRDC and the O’Hara parking garage used to be, next to Western Psych. It’s a really large project, I think the equivalent of 10 stories.

The third is Victory Heights next to the Pete, which kind of bleeds over into the construction site for the student Rec center. They’re going to be kind of interconnected with a pathway between them along the hillside.

There’s also the end stages of a new water chiller plant back behind the Cost Center on the other side of the hill, and there might still be some underground work related to the pipes and stuff that accompany that.
Number one will be the new Presbyterian Hospital.
Also another project is the expansion of Scaife Hall. This extension of Scaife Hall is substantially completed at this time.
Quite a lot of construction in a comparatively small area in a short period of time.
Another by product of the Chiller Plant construction is tearing up the streets in that area to accommodate running the chilled water lines to their designed end points.

Last edited:
tear it down and put up anther hospital.
And some additional crappy hotels of the (Un)Comfort Inn or (Low)Quality Inn variety. Maybe tear down Salk Hall or some other historic building for one of those. But please no Red Roof Inns, because a lot of bad things go down in there…

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT