ADVERTISEMENT

Capel Has me Convinced RE....Recruiting

Chescat

All Conference
Jul 5, 2001
He's obviously doing great IMO in the area of recruiting. Most of us thought there'd be an
uptick in recruiting when he was hired. But seriously.....THIS much? THIS fast?
Both of these recruits were being offered by major programs. Their selecting Pitt in
this amount of time has to be sending shock waves throughout the Bball recruiting
world. No doubt in my mind that Capel can now say to other recruits....."look who we've
brought in already, and we want you to join us and play with great players."
How about this scenario...."Ellison, take a look at what I'm putting in the backcourt with you."

McGowens was a great get and a clear sign of Capel's recruiting prowess. Johnson is rated between where Carr and Stewart were last year (quite a bit lower than Carr, but higher than Stewart). In other words, he's the kind of prospect we should always be able to get, but the big difference is that Johnson is clearly on the lower end of the spectrum for Capel, whereas he was near the top of what we could expect from Stallings.

McGowens was a great get and a clear sign of Capel's recruiting prowess. Johnson is rated between where Carr and Stewart were last year (quite a bit lower than Carr, but higher than Stewart). In other words, he's the kind of prospect we should always be able to get, but the big difference is that Johnson is clearly on the lower end of the spectrum for Capel, whereas he was near the top of what we could expect from Stallings.

He will play point guard and can get to the rim. He's very athletic. We didn't have anyone like that this year. McGowens can shoot so they should make a good duo.

He also had some good offers.

Reactions: Pittnerski

274sports composite ratings for the previous and future guards are as follows:
Johnson: 0.8866
McGowens: 0.9651
Average - 0.9259

Carr: 0.9123
Stewart: 0.8646
Average - 0.8885

We will see how the new players perform but there is no dispute that the new players are higher rated than the ones who left.

Reactions: Jeffburgh
Average - 0.9259

Average - 0.8885

We will see how the new players perform but there is no dispute that the new players are higher rated than the ones who left.

They are both much more athletic than Carr and Stewart. Defense right off the bat should be better. Getting g to the rim should be better.

Reactions: bwh05 and Jeffburgh
Average - 0.9259

Average - 0.8885

Well, no. One is higher, one is not. It's a great haul in a short period of time, and I'm hopeful that when the ball is tossed in November there will be more talent on the team than there is now, but I'd still take the team returning under Stallings over what we have now (Stewart, Carr, Luther and Ellison). If Ellison comes back, then we'll call it a wash.

Last edited:
To be fair, these are not real big-time recruits. However, in a month Capel has signed 2 guards to an 0-19 team who had lots of options. Dixon couldn't sell playing in the Big East for #1 seeds.

I dont have major expectations for this class but the 2019 class could be lights out

McGowens isn't a big time recruit?

And why can't you let Dixon go?

Well, no. One is higher, one is not. It's a great haul in a short period of time, and I'm hopeful that the when the ball is tossed in November there will be more talent on the team than there is now, but I'd still take the team returning under Stallings over what we have now (Stewart, Carr, Luther and Ellison). If Ellison comes back, then we'll call it a wash.

I tend to agree. Even though I like XJ, and McGowens more than Carr and Stewart,
they're still freshmen while the other two have that year experience. We have
nobody as talented and as experienced as Luther inside, and Ellison puts
even more experience in the backcourt which we don't have at this time.
A perfect scenario for me would be a grad transfer who is a Big, along with
a freshman Big, an additional experienced guard, plus Ellison returning. If
my numbers are right, that would give us 12 scholarship players. I'd even
take Chuka for the thirteenth scholarship. In that scenario George, Iggy, and
Cuhka would hardly ever see playing time, and the freshmen wouldn't be thrown
into the fire if they weren't ready.

Reactions: FireballZ
I tend to agree. Even though I like XJ, and McGowens more than Carr and Stewart,
Agreed. I just think Pitt fans are once again underestimating the importance of experience.

I am going to root like hell for whomever is wearing a Pitt jersey, regardless of who recruited them. And i don’t think Capel is nearly done for 2018. Fingers crossed. I just think some are going a bit overboard SO FAR. That said, Coach Jeff has done a noble job to date bringing in quality from the limited talent pool remaining.

Luther is long gone if u didn’t get the memo.

He’s off to Arizona.

Agreed. I just think Pitt fans are once again underestimating the importance of experience.

I am going to root like hell for whomever is wearing a Pitt jersey, regardless of who recruited them. And i don’t think Capel is nearly done for 2018. Fingers crossed. I just think some are going a bit overboard SO FAR. That said, Coach Jeff has done a noble job to date bringing in quality from the limited talent pool remaining.
I am not debating whether Carr and Stewart as sophomores would be better than Johnson and McGowens as freshman. They most likely would be but I also feel that Johnson and McGowens as freshman most likely will be better than Stewart and Carr as freshman. I also believe that their athleticism will be more of a help to the players around them than what Carr and Stewart were able to provide last year. If Ellison returns then you are comparing Ellison, Johnson and McGowens to last years version of Carr, Stewart and Milligan. I see that as a dramatic improvement. I also don't feel the loss of Luther has much effect since he was hurt most of last season. If Ellison returns, there is no doubt in my mind that this team of 9 is better than last year's team right now. That is all I care about. What Stewart and Carr are next year does not matter because they left.

I'm sorry, but when did Ryan Luther turn into Dirk Nowitzki? He's a fine guy by all accounts and he is a good player, but he was never better than good, often hurt and disappeared for long stretches.
I would like to have had him back, but he is going to a conference that didn't win a single NCAA tourney game last season.

Reactions: Nashville Panther
He's obviously doing great IMO in the area of recruiting. Most of us thought there'd be an
Both of these recruits were being offered by major programs. Their selecting Pitt in
this amount of time has to be sending shock waves throughout the Bball recruiting
world. No doubt in my mind that Capel can now say to other recruits....."look who we've
How about this scenario...."Ellison, take a look at what I'm putting in the backcourt with you."

I'm not sure that I'm "convinced" about anything, but these two recruits are an very nice start.

It takes much more time for me to be "convinced" of anything.

I'm sorry, but when did Ryan Luther turn into Dirk Nowitzki? He's a fine guy by all accounts and he is a good player, but he was never better than good, often hurt and disappeared for long stretches.
I would like to have had him back, but he is going to a conference that didn't win a single NCAA tourney game last season.

I totally agree with you about Luther, see my above reply to RMU.

Reactions: Saboteur
I'm not sure that I'm "convinced" about anything, but these two recruits are an very nice start.

I'm only "convinced" at this point that he's more than capable as a recruiter.
As far as his bench coaching, managing the program, and the myriad of other
head coaching responsibilities......I'm not convinced of anything yet either.

They are both much more athletic than Carr and Stewart. Defense right off the bat should be better. Getting g to the rim should be better.

Correct. Comparisons to very different types of players based on lists from a National Rating system that includes players variously suited to be Centers, Power Forwards, Wing Forwards, 2nd Guards and point Guards isn't very useful in evaluating what they mean to a Pitt roster with its specific weaknesses.

Carr is a combo guard and not a true point. Johnson should be an upgrade at the point as compared to Carr based on size, quickness and hops. Likewise, MacGowens will be an upgrade as a second guard with the ability to play some point as well compared to Carr due to height and quickness. Also, in this case he is more highly ranked than Carr was as a bonus. MacGowens should also be more versatile a player than Stewart who was pretty much limited to being a 2nd guard or wing shooter based on his skill set. Stewart, given the addition, if he stayed, IMHO, would have been limited to backing up Wilson-Frame at the wing and would be seeing almost no time as a 2nd guard. Overall, we have significantly upgraded the backcourt, IMO .

Unless your blind or mentally handicapped not seeing and realizing that JC can recruit like no other coach in the history of Pitt bb there’s just nothing that will convince you of the otherwise . When Pitt recruited the likes of Charles Smith and co they cheated with the help of the Golden Panthers , he’s doing this with his ability to connect with recruits on a very short time period . This is just the start and it’s going to get better , any on court success next season will make it that much easier for him to recruit better players in 19 . Things are looking up embrace the process and enjoy the start of watching good winning bb again .
Ps..Neither Carr or Stewart are close to the athletic abilities of these two recruits , players like these two will attract fans , it’s going to be fun going to games again .

Last edited:
I am not debating whether Carr and Stewart as sophomores would be better than Johnson and McGowens as freshman. They most likely would be but I also feel that Johnson and McGowens as freshman most likely will be better than Stewart and Carr as freshman. I also believe that their athleticism will be more of a help to the players around them than what Carr and Stewart were able to provide last year. If Ellison returns then you are comparing Ellison, Johnson and McGowens to last years version of Carr, Stewart and Milligan. I see that as a dramatic improvement. I also don't feel the loss of Luther has much effect since he was hurt most of last season. If Ellison returns, there is no doubt in my mind that this team of 9 is better than last year's team right now. That is all I care about. What Stewart and Carr are next year does not matter because they left.

Mostly agree.

This team would be better in the fall if it had one or both of Carr and Stewart, because they are legit players at this level and have a year under their belts.

That said, you live in the world you live in, and that world will not include those two moving forward.

Yes, it taking a step back to start over with two new guards, Johnson and McGowens are going to take the same freshman lumps that Carr and Stewart took.

But, I agree that due to their athleticism they can provide elements that Carr and Stewart did not.

'They could, gasp, actually play some defense, get between other players and the drive to the hoop, stress their perimeter shots more, get a few more steals or cause turnovers ...

They could, gasp, actually get some transition baskets ...

IF Ellison settles down and suits up for the Panthers in the fall, with Davis returning with a year under his belt, it is very possible that the back court will be better than last year with Carr, Stewart and Davis as frosh and Milligan, and would be close to what it might have been this year with Carr and Stewart as sophomores.

The front court - losing Luther hurts, a tip of the cap to the people bringing up that he missed about as many games as he played while at Pitt.

But you still have Brown and Stevenson returning, and gotta believe they will be a year better.

And, if HCJC an pull out a reasonably good fifth year big man, they can competitive.

Also - still not done with 2018 recruiting - it would seem he is now going to set this sights on working his magic on Hyatt, which would help with depth, and possibly Matthews.

Reactions: Gary77

Those kids were overrated(Carr & Stewar) Maybe the new guys are, too? I'd trust Capel's view over KS 24/7/365.

Those kids were overrated(Carr & Stewar) Maybe the new guys are, too? I'd trust Capel's view over KS 24/7/365.

I am not sure overrated, but when you (not you personally) are trying to parse who is better between someone who is "ranked" (intentionally using quote marks here) say 195 and 225, that is an absolutely exercise in futility.

McGowens is obviously on another level. Johnson maybe in that same spectrum as Carr and Stewart, but he has much better athleticism. Now I don't know if that makes him a better player or not, but again the argument in futility is only heightened because Carr and Stewart aren't here anymore, and Pitt needs players now. So.....why all the drama in this thread?

I am just totally convinced alot of you just like to bitch.

Both Carr and Stewart would’ve added something had they stayed , but they don’t want be at Pitt so it’s time to move on from them .

Unless your blind or mentally handicapped not seeing and realizing that JC can recruit like no other coach in the history of Pitt bb there’s just nothing that will convince you of the otherwise . When Pitt recruited the likes of Charles Smith and co they cheated with the help of the Golden Panthers , he’s doing this with his ability to connect with recruits on a very short time period . This is just the start and it’s going to get better , any on court success next season will make it that much easier for him to recruit better players in 19 . Things are looking up embrace the process and enjoy the start of watching good winning bb again .
Ps..Neither Carr or Stewart are close to the athletic abilities of these two recruits , players like these two will attract fans , it’s going to be fun going to games again .

Jeff Capel...”making Pitt Basketball Great Again”

Reactions: Fsgolfdr
I'm only "convinced" at this point that he's more than capable as a recruiter.
As far as his bench coaching, managing the program, and the myriad of other
head coaching responsibilities......I'm not convinced of anything yet either.
I'm very convinced that he is a better coach, recruiter, knows more basketball and is a better all-around person for the program and the school. He is a SEND IT IN hire.

Solid job so far. Now grab a few more pieces like Hyatt and the Irish kid and we are really talking. Im really high on Brown and love to compliment him with some athletic bigs.

Reactions: FireballZ
I’m just amazed that some fans want to worry about class rankings at this point. It’s obvious that Capel landed two good players (probably starting level talent) who reasonably shouldn’t have available at this late, late juncture. I’m just amazed that he has been able to pull this off for 2018.

Solid job so far. Now grab a few more pieces like Hyatt and the Irish kid and we are really talking. Im really high on Brown and love to compliment him with some athletic bigs.
I also am very high on Brown. Love his work ethic and the direction his grandfather is guiding him through life, You're right, if we compliment him with some atheletic bigs, we will be tough.

Reactions: CaptainMurphy

Agreed. Capel has done an amazing job already, but candidly, that's what great recruiters do....they win these battles regardless of circumstances. Contrast what's happening in B-ball with the excuses you get from many posters on the football board. There are quite a few posters who put forth the opinion that "we have to win first before we'll be able to recruit at a higher level" or even better, "we have to fill the stadium before we'll be able to recruit better". Here's a news flash....it all starts with recruiting. Good recruiters convince talented players to join regardless of circumstances.

Pitt was the worst team in the conference last season, we turned over 2 coaches in 2 years, the house is empty and yet Capel is recruiting at a high level. Maybe Narduzzi can take a few lessons from Capel.

Cruzer

Reactions: Chescat

The two new recruits are an excellent start. We needed players that can handle the ball. I would not complain if we added another.

Well, no. One is higher, one is not. It's a great haul in a short period of time, and I'm hopeful that when the ball is tossed in November there will be more talent on the team than there is now, but I'd still take the team returning under Stallings over what we have now (Stewart, Carr, Luther and Ellison). If Ellison comes back, then we'll call it a wash.
Johnson has a composite rating that is better than Stewart's and McGowen's is significantly better than Carr's. On the average, these two are much more highly rated than Carr and Stewart.

Stewart and Carr were both ok IMO, but their lack of athleticism and size would have likely kept either of them from being a serious impact guard at this level. Time will tell, but I’m happy with the guys we replaced them with on paper because you can develop basketball skill, but you can’t develop athleticism.

Last edited:
Again, he recruited a couple of NBA players while at VCU.
He recruited Blake Griffin, Willie Warren and Tiny Gallon (all 5 stars) in successive years at Oklahoma.
He took Duke's recruiting from say classes ranked around 7 to 12, to classes ranked either 1 or 2.

The resume is real.

I don't think it would be very surprising to see Capel land a top 10 recruiting class for 2019. He's almost exclusively targeting top 100 kids at this point.

I think everyone’s seems to have forgotten Carr wasn’t recruited to be the pg Thompson was . This wasn’t Carr’s natural position . Pitt now has two guys who can handle the point .....big upgrade !

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT