ADVERTISEMENT

Georgia Tech Game @ the Pete & Other Dribbles ...

Big-time nail biter tonight. Felt like when your team is in a pennant race and struggling to beat the last place team in the division. Have to give GT credit, though. Our D wasn't good, but they played well and kept hitting shots.

Specifically, they did a good job attacking the hedge and exposed it multiple times. One time Fede was frozen expecting a handoff pass, only for the GT player to fake it and get a dunk. Fede's 8-for-8 at the foul line may have saved us, though 3 of his 5 fouls were silly and avoidable. Can't have that from him going forward.

Not sure what's happened with Burton lately, He's going to still get his points by being on the floor most of the game, obviously. But he was invisible for parts tonight and hasn't had a big game in a while.

Additionally, the lack of contributions from the bench lately has been concerning. Sibande had one big bucket down the stretch; we got zilch from everyone else. Understandably, we're going to ride our horses coming down the stretch, but we need a little more from our second team than we've been getting.

Ultimately, a gritty win. This one easily could have gone the other way and been a serious blow to making The Big Dance. Here's hoping there's no nail biting this weekend against the 'Cuse! #H2P
My wife says Burton needs to braid his hair again. That's when he plays better. 🙄

Reactions: 4Mark_Marty
I usually love Drew, Poker and Joe’s posts but about practice I’m gonna have to disagree with you. As they noted on the broadcast last night, we have a starting 5 that’s older than the Oklahoma City thunder and it’s almost March. Coach should be using most practices to fine tune. Compete some days but only go for about an hour. They’ve been at this for almost 8 months. No tough practices please. Go hard but not long or get in and just walk thru and shoot!!!

I'm not arguing that they should be practicing hard or practicing more, I'm saying that the situation that we are in is exactly the same as everyone else's. If we aren't practicing much it isn't because of the schedule we've been playing, because that isn't any different, it's because we've chosen that as the correct path forward for this time of the year.

Yeah I was going to say this. We all talk about lack of fundamentals vs "the good old days" but all things, players are better shooters today. But playing and watching basketball for 40+ years now, I don't remember the charge/block fouls as much as there is in today's game. People played defense, but there wasn't this constant flopping and constant tries to draw a charge. It is like hockey and blocked shots. Teams now block 20-30 shots a game, that never happened. The charge call has almost be come as ubiquitous as the "illegal block in the back on any kick/punt return".

I think there needs to be more of an onus on referees to just eat the whistle on 50/50 calls.

Charging/flopping has become an epidemic. I think it was actual an unintended consequence of the no-charge semi-circle. When that circle wasnt there, the block/charge seemed to be a 50/50 guess. But now as long as that secondary defender isn't in the circle, its a charge 90% of the time. Its like all they do is look at their feet. Not in the circle? Charge. I hate it.

Big-time nail biter tonight. Felt like when your team is in a pennant race and struggling to beat the last place team in the division. Have to give GT credit, though. Our D wasn't good, but they played well and kept hitting shots.

Specifically, they did a good job attacking the hedge and exposed it multiple times. One time Fede was frozen expecting a handoff pass, only for the GT player to fake it and get a dunk. Fede's 8-for-8 at the foul line may have saved us, though 3 of his 5 fouls were silly and avoidable. Can't have that from him going forward.

Not sure what's happened with Burton lately, He's going to still get his points by being on the floor most of the game, obviously. But he was invisible for parts tonight and hasn't had a big game in a while.

Additionally, the lack of contributions from the bench lately has been concerning. Sibande had one big bucket down the stretch; we got zilch from everyone else. Understandably, we're going to ride our horses coming down the stretch, but we need a little more from our second team than we've been getting.

Ultimately, a gritty win. This one easily could have gone the other way and been a serious blow to making The Big Dance. Here's hoping there's no nail biting this weekend against the 'Cuse! #H2P
Burton only played 29 min. Maybe the sore knee.

Reactions: Protes and Drew1208
I usually love Drew, Poker and Joe’s posts but about practice I’m gonna have to disagree with you. As they noted on the broadcast last night, we have a starting 5 that’s older than the Oklahoma City thunder and it’s almost March. Coach should be using most practices to fine tune. Compete some days but only go for about an hour. They’ve been at this for almost 8 months. No tough practices please. Go hard but not long or get in and just walk thru and shoot!!!
I don't know about tough practices. And I think Capel knows that line well.
But practice that is really accenting and harping on D.

The main point of my post isn't whether we practice hard enough now or not.
What da **** do I know about that?
But I just don't like how Capel vocalizes unnecessary negatively when it's an issue for everyone

Agree. Early in the second half it was starting to bring back bad memories of the old Notre Dame "burn" or whatever they used to call it, where they would run the clock down every possession and somehow get a layup at the end of the shot clock. Kudos to Capel for the timeout and move to 3/4 court press. It didn't create turnovers but seemed to change the pace of the game enough to make a difference. Our defensive intensity definitely picked up after the TO.
Reminded me totally of the ND Burn

Burton only played 29 min. Maybe the sore knee.
Yeah, I have to think he is hurting. This team has been at its very best when we run offense through Burton. We would not have many of the big wins we had earlier in the year, if not for Jamarius. Nelly did pretty well last night running the O. Maybe, they want the ball out of Burton's hand so he can at least get a little rest. It takes alot out of you to continually try to break down your man. Having said that, Saturday's game is huge, and I expect Burton will be a big key in beating that zone, because Nelly is likely to get swallowed up by their length.

This team has not had to depend on one player to win which is special. You can have four or five different players go off to support the team and Fede has become a more complete player move to a 10 point per game kinda player with a nice inside presence

** This win against Georgia Tech should really only be summed up with one simple statement: “13-4.”

** We are well past the point in the season where we have to judge ourselves by the size of our wins. Instead, at this point we only need to count the number of them. So 13 ACC wins and 20 wins overall sound like pretty great numbers to me.

** And while I'm not going to try to convince anyone that we offered a high quality performance this night, I do feel the need to at least remind myself that vigorous Virginia just slipped by the Irish by a duce at home, while mighty Miami recently struggled with lousy Louisville at Coral Gables.

** Maybe the only thing I did find troubling was that this appeared to be the second straight game where the opponent seemed to get the better of the Panthers physically.

** Or at least this appeared to be Tech’s game plan. They continued to run stuff to get the Panthers in back to the basket matchups close to the paint. When the Panthers doubled, Tech found open men and they were knocking down the open shots, or basically willing their way under the bucket for dunks.

** So after Tech hit their first three shots of the second half to take a two point lead, Coach Capel called timeout.

** There were a number of PantherLair posters who wanted Capel to make second half adjustments for the struggling Panthers against Virginia Tech. I can’t say Capel made adjustments this time either, but he surely chewed out his Panthers on the bench. We could hear his voice from our seats.

** I’m sure Capel was making it quite clear that we were not matching Tech’s physicality. To be quite honest, they were simply taking it to the Panthers to that point.

** But the Panthers did rise from the bench with one new tactic, which was the employment of a three quarter court press. I believe the point of the press was mostly to cause Tech to take a little more time, while encouraging the Panthers to up their energy level. It took a little while, but I think the move eventually paid off.

** From the 12:18 mark of the second half to the 4:22 mark, the Panthers only surrendered one field goal and seven overall points. In that time, a four point deficit became a six point lead.

** We shouldn’t proclaim that the Panthers were exceptional during this stretch. Instead we can say that during this stretch our men were as focused on trying to play as exceptionally, not to mention physically, on defense as they are capable of doing.

** And that was good enough. Not great. But good enough.

** That pretty much sums up the Panthers offense as well. Not great, but good enough.

** Well … excepting a rough three minute stretch in the first half when he offered a pair of poor turnovers and a duo of missed triples, Nelly was pretty great.

** And while Nelly wasn’t that much better on defense than anyone else during the first three quarters of the game, Capel did recognize that Nelly was bringing the physicality on defense that was needed, especially on the defensive glass. Therefore, Jeff let Nelly play through his little turnover troubles and Cummings paid him off.

** I’m usually one who thinks fans complain a little too much about missed foul shots, but boy is it nice to hit 19 of 20 of them.

** At the top of that foul shot list was our friend Fede, and those of us who watched him at the line during the early season might have expected him to be a guy who might finish the year under 50% on free throws. After an incredible 8-8 night, he’s now sporting a 65% free throw clip. Just another remarkable area of growth for a player who has grown from the beginning of the season as much as any player I’ve seen in my years watching Pitt Hoops.

** We just need to ask him to be a little more careful with the fouls on the perimeter. Sure, he hedges wonderfully but we need him in the game.

** We also need Blake Hinson to simply stop with taking the ball to hoop on the fast break. That is, because as soon as he passed halfcourt in the break with 6 minutes to go in the game, I said out loud “Blake ...please be smart here and don’t charge!” He wasn’t and he did.

** But please also Blake, don’t stop shooting the three ... ever. You’ve changed my definition of a bad shot.

** Before signing off, I just wanted to acknowledge another fun night at the Pete that was packed with VIP’s like Chevy, Billy Knight and Tyler Boyd, who just made a big contribution to Pitt on their Day of Giving.

** But the biggest star was Damar Hamlin. It was a nice moment to recognize him, with most of the crowd standing and applauding him. Even referee Roger Ayers was clapping.

** I hope many more of you will join to applaud our 13-4 and 20-8 Panthers on Senior Day on Saturday. I expect my day will start at Fuel and Fuddle for any posters who want to join. But hopefully, the day will end with the Panthers being 14-4 in the ACC and 21-8 overall. The score won’t matter. These would be the only numbers than would.
BC handled UVA with relative ease.
Any win is a good win.

Reactions: 4Mark_Marty
Yes, exactly. That play where Cummings made a turnover in the Pitt end, became upset and put his head down and didn't move while Georgia Tech ran up the court right past him for an easy layup. Capel should have read the riot act on Cummings there, called a TO and get him out.

Oh well, alls well that end well, but the D was a problem and that play by Cummings was pretty bad.

On a plus, the foul shooting has been outstanding and a big improvement over any version in the Dixon/Howland era. I can't remember it ever being this good.
What makes you think the Cummings play wasn’t discussed ?

Yeah, I have to think he is hurting. This team has been at its very best when we run offense through Burton. We would not have many of the big wins we had earlier in the year, if not for Jamarius. Nelly did pretty well last night running the O. Maybe, they want the ball out of Burton's hand so he can at least get a little rest. It takes alot out of you to continually try to break down your man. Having said that, Saturday's game is huge, and I expect Burton will be a big key in beating that zone, because Nelly is likely to get swallowed up by their length.
Nelly has had some of the best games of his career against Syracuse.... at Colgate and earlier this year.

For reference sake... Cummings has played Syracuse 3 times.. twice at Colgate and once at Pitt.

2019-20: 10 points in a loss
2021-22: 18 points in a win
2022-23: 22 points in a win

Assuming Nelly is going to "struggle with their length" is a bad bet.

For reference sake... Cummings has played Syracuse 3 times.. twice at Colgate and once at Pitt.

2019-20: 10 points in a loss
2021-22: 18 points in a win
2022-23: 22 points in a win

Assuming Nelly is going to "struggle with their length" is a bad bet.
Hope you are right. I know Nelly can score, I just worry more about him getting into the teeth of that zone. Hope he is making his threes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT