ADVERTISEMENT

Duke Game in the ACC Tournament & Other Dribbles ...

DT_PITT

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jul 17, 2001
** Well … it sure is tough to dribble after a whooping! And that was surely a whooping of the highest order.

** I mean, it would have been nice to get a few minutes of enjoyment out of this contest. But almost from the get-go, the proceedings never once offered even a hint of hope that the Panthers would even join the challenge.

** But hey, at least we didn’t have to get into any specific message board brouhahas about the bad calls from "ACC refs." So there’s that.

** Unfortunately, that might indeed be the only positive thing I can say about the Panthers 40 minutes on the court today.

** That’s not completely true I guess. We got a decent enough look at what Guillermo might look like if he plays more extensive minutes against a top opponent, and it was surely a satisfactory showing. It certainly reinforces the hopes of many about what he may be capable of if he can add some strength and weight. Although it’s hardly a given that he be able to do so significantly.

** And Nike looked enough like he earned his 6th man trophy.

** Beyond that, well … I got nothing.

** Last night, I believe I appropriately commended Coach Capel for being able to keep to his pledge for the need to get better players. Something certainly went right when a team turns does a complete flip flop of their ACC record.

** Still, today was also a stark reminder that we there’s still plenty of work to be done in the getting better players department.

** But that work to do is something to talk about in the coming weeks. That is because in the coming days, there’s still basketball to be played by our Panthers. And regardless of whether it’s just one more game to be played, or two or three or more, I’m grateful that our Panthers will get the chance.

** I cannot begrudge anyone whose has lost all faith that all this season has to offer is one more loss. I’d be lying if I suggested that I harbor high hopes.

** But I do believe that when you have some shooters combined with the right matchup, it’s realistic to suggest our Panthers could offer a game or so of enjoyment in the Dance.

** Perhaps there are some Pitt Hoops fans who would maintain this is far too low of a bar. In the long run, I wouldn’t necessarily disagree. But in the short run, I’ll settle for our standing.

** After all, the next big event for the Panther Nation is the Selection Show. Despite today’s whooping, I fully expect to see the name Pittsburgh Panthers called at some point during the show. I’m worried a bit now this could actually mean a spot during Round One in Dayton though.

** But I’m still more than OK with that. Our men have played well enough this year to deserve at least that. And even if you are to believe this Duke demolition displays all too well the current inadequacies of our Panther program, then let’s give our team and coaching staff all of the credit they deserve for overachieving their way to 14 ACC wins.

** So in the words of the former Bucco Skipper Clint Hurdle, let’s hope the Panthers "shower well" after this grotesque game in Greensboro.

** In our own way, I hope Panther fans can do the same. There’s more basketball to be played, and I hope we can join our Panthers players in creating some good karma for their next effort in March. Despite their ups and downs, which are usual for all College Basketball teams, the Panthers have brought us a fun four months and deserve our fullest support for the last chapter.

** Well … it sure is tough to dribble after a whooping! And that was surely a whooping of the highest order.

** I mean, it would have been nice to get a few minutes of enjoyment out of this contest. But almost from the get-go, the proceedings never once offered even a hint of hope that the Panthers would even join the challenge.

** But hey, at least we didn’t have to get into any specific message board brouhahas about the bad calls from "ACC refs." So there’s that.

** Unfortunately, that might indeed be the only positive thing I can say about the Panthers 40 minutes on the court today.

** That’s not completely true I guess. We got a decent enough look at what Guillermo might look like if he plays more extensive minutes against a top opponent, and it was surely a satisfactory showing. It certainly reinforces the hopes of many about what he may be capable of if he can add some strength and weight. Although it’s hardly a given that he be able to do so significantly.

** Last night, I believe I appropriately commended Coach Capel for being able to keep to his pledge for the need to get better players. Something certainly went right when a team turns does a complete flip flop of their ACC record.

** Still, today was also a stark reminder that we there’s still plenty of work to be done in the getting better players department.

** But that work to do is something to talk about in the coming weeks. That is because in the coming days, there’s still basketball to be played by our Panthers. And regardless of whether it’s just one more game to be played, or two or three or more, I’m grateful that our Panthers will get the chance.

** I cannot begrudge anyone whose has lost all faith that all this season has to offer is one more loss. I’d be lying if I suggested that I harbor high hopes.

** But I do believe that when you have some shooters combined with the right matchup, it’s realistic to suggest our Panthers could offer a game or so of enjoyment in the Dance.

** Perhaps there are some Pitt Hoops fans who would maintain this is far too low of a bar. In the long run, I wouldn’t necessarily disagree. But in the short run, I’ll settle for our standing.

** After all, the next big event for the Panther Nation is the Selection Show. Despite today’s whooping, I fully expect to see the name Pittsburgh Panthers called at some point during the show. I’m worried a bit now this could actually mean a spot during Round One in Dayton though.

** But I’m still more than OK with that. Our men have played well enough this year to deserve at least that. And even if you are to believe this Duke demolition displays all too well the current inadequacies of our Panther program, then let’s give our team and coaching staff all of the credit they deserve for overachieving their win to 14 ACC wins.

** So in the words of the former Bucco Skipper Clint Hurdle, let’s hope the Panthers "shower well" from after this grotesque game in Greensboro.

** In our own way, I hope Panther fans can do the same. There’s more basketball to be played, and I hope we can join our Panthers players in creating some good karma for their next effort in March. Despite their ups and downs, which are usual for all College Basketball teams, the Panthers have brought us a fun four months and deserve our fullest support for the last chapter.
As someone who lives an hour from Dayton, I would be excited to drive there to take in an opening night game.

I am always guilty of blue and gold colored glasses....

This year has been fun and a blast. After the past 7 years I can live with NIT, satisfied with Dayton, and ecstatic for a true at large bid. Let's enjoy at least one more game this year with this group.

H2P

we need to find the Pitt team that beat Northwestern by 30 or beat North Carolina twice. this team has had games where they look like they belong solidly in the top 20 and games , well, like today or the game against Notre Dame. Hard to understand. I am worried about Selection Sunday, but most of the "in the know" people, of which I am not one, seem confident.

Reactions: PittPoker
we need to find the Pitt team that beat Northwestern by 30 or beat North Carolina twice. this team has had games where they look like they belong solidly in the top 20 and games , well, like today or the game against Notre Dame. Hard to understand. I am worried about Selection Sunday, but most of the "in the know" people, of which I am not one, seem confident.
That team seems long gone and it's weird, it happened so quickly. The way Pitt has played the past few weeks we would have lost to all the Quad I teams we beat earlier. Maybe it is fatigue I don't know. But it seems like now most of the guys aren't even trying to defend, box out for rebounds and have that intensity needed. I don't get it. I think the coaching is to blame for some of this as well even though Capel had his best year here by far.

I agree with DT about getting better players. We need better athletes that are really good basketball players. There will be massive competition for them but maybe our season looked as a whole, might entice 1 or 2 kids to transfer here with high high pedigrees.

At one point today late, I had a flashback to 1985 when Pitt beat Villanova in the last game of the season 85-62 and it could have been much worse. Rollie was so mad, he benched his starters in the second half. Villanova ended up beating Pitt in the BET and the rest is history. Basketball can be a funny and humbling game at times. Hopefully better days still lie ahead for this team this year because they deserve a much better ending.

We're in the Dance barring some ridiculous conference tourney happenings. Let's go out on our own terms this year, shooting freely and playing loose. Too many times with our great teams we went out with a whimper. No more of that please.

Reactions: SteelBowl70
We're in the Dance barring some ridiculous conference tourney happenings. Let's go out on our own terms this year, shooting freely and playing loose. Too many times with our great teams we went out with a whimper. No more of that please.

I like this ... "Let's go out on our own terms this year, shooting freely and playing loose."

Reactions: TWPitt
Pitt isn’t a team composed of elite five stars and today we got to see what one looked like .

Duke played their best game of the season today , they looked like final four material.

That’s not to say that with the right matchups I couldn’t see two more W’s on Pitts resume this season . Its been a great ride this season and hopefully just the start of a new beginning.

The university has to have nutritionist that can put some pounds on those boys , 7 footers that can shoot can change things in a hurry . Plus I’d love to watch a game where they stand erect the entire game !

Dior , the recruits , the twins , Hinson , Fede ( Hugley ?) they have the foundation of building something , they’re not ready to go toe to toe with the best teams in the country , but with a few more pieces they’ll be getting closer . The program made great strides this season it’s no time bitch .

Last edited:
Reactions: TheSpecialSauce

** But I’m still more than OK with that. Our men have played well enough this year to deserve at least that. And even if you are to believe this Duke demolition displays all too well the current inadequacies of our Panther program, then let’s give our team and coaching staff all of the credit they deserve for overachieving their win to 14 ACC wins.

** So in the words of the former Bucco Skipper Clint Hurdle, let’s hope the Panthers "shower well" after this grotesque game in Greensboro.

Despite reasons for pessimism - including today's hideous showing - I still believe this team has it in them to make it to the second weekend. Lesser talented teams have certainly done so many times in the past. It certainly would be nice to pull off a big upset. Lord knows, we experienced the other end of that too often during the Howland/Dixon days. Maybe we turn the tables this year and stick it to a #1 or #2.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
DT…good write-up as usual.

Today we ran into a better team, with serious bigs who wanted to and did control the game.

Duke has more talent, and fresh legs…I believe they’ll win the ACC tourney crown.

This has been a good season, and I would envision we’ll only get better, both in the portal and as a team next year.

For now, I’m proud of this team, as they righted the ship and put smiles on the faces of Panther fans everywhere!

Hail to PITT!
-al-

I loved it when one of the twins blasted a Dukie going in for the lay up. Flagrant foul. Loved it. Those guys play with such passion. It's infectious most times. Love those kids.

Reactions: FireballZ
I loved it when one of the twins blasted a Dukie going in for the lay up. Flagrant foul. Loved it. Those guys play with such passion. It's infectious most times. Love those kids.

Yeah, I didn't understand why that was a flagrant foul. He went to block the shot and accidentally hit the Duke player on the arm and in the face. I doubt he intended to do that.

Yeah, I didn't understand why that was a flagrant foul. He went to block the shot and accidentally hit the Duke player on the arm and in the face. I doubt he intended to do that.
Can't swipe down and hit someone in the face and it not be excessive and/or unnecessary. It was excessive, thereby causing the flagrant foul. But I loved it nonetheless.

At one point today late, I had a flashback to 1985 when Pitt beat Villanova in the last game of the season 85-62 and it could have been much worse. Rollie was so mad, he benched his starters in the second half. Villanova ended up beating Pitt in the BET and the rest is history. Basketball can be a funny and humbling game at times. Hopefully better days still lie ahead for this team this year because they deserve a much better ending.
I was at that Villanova game ! Isn't that the year Villanova stunned Georgetown and Patrick Ewig in the national championship ?

Reactions: jctrack
I was at that Villanova game ! Isn't that the year Villanova stunned Georgetown and Patrick Ewig in the national championship ?
That was the year, and I think Pitt was the last team to beat them, in that blowout game.

Can't swipe down and hit someone in the face and it not be excessive and/or unnecessary. It was excessive, thereby causing the flagrant foul. But I loved it nonetheless.

Yeah, intent doesn't have anything to do with it.

If you happen to be watching the Duke - Miami game tonight Isiah Wong got called for a flagrant foul when he had the ball and hit the Duke defender square in the face. He obviously didn't mean to do it, but intent is not a part of the rule. He hit the guy in the head with excessive force. It's a flagrant foul by the way the rule is written.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT