ADVERTISEMENT

Tico’s Silver Lining Corner

Dec 21, 2005
  1. To quote Billy Shakespeare: Honesty is the best policy. Let’s be honest here folks, we are a good team, not great, and are gonna do what we do no matter the game flow. We have gotten away with playing very poor defense all year, maybe because the ACC is weak or maybe because we have three good perimeter shooters keeping us level. Either way, the only thing we can truly count on is playing bad defense and that’s gonna put you in peril game in game out even in a good year.
  2. Hate to say it but the Syracuse zone gave us a false bravado coming into this game. Dissecting a zone and getting wide-open threes it’s basically a throwaway game at this point. We were all hoping the Irish would limp into this game with not much to play for but unfortunately it appeared the opposite. Notre Dame ran their stuff and you have to give them a lot of credit for basically kicking our ass time and time again. In the Syracuse game, Capel put JB on their good three-point shooter in the second half and did not allow him to take over the game. We needed in game adjustments from coach last night, not whining to the officials. Hate to call one guy out but Nelly can’t stay in front of anyone on D and when this occurs we’re toast. Need to play him less IMO against these type of players.
  3. Silver Lining #1: We can still go down and beat Miami. We’re good enough but we HAVE to make our FTs and play at least some defense. I’d say we’re a 7-8 point dog but that means nothing. I’ll give us a 40% chance to win.
  4. Silver Lining #2: ACC Standings. Let’s say we lose to Miami and UVA beats Lville. Now, it’s comes down to us Duke and Clemson for the final 2 double byes. Clemson plays ND at home. I give ND a 30-40% to win that game. Duke plays at UNC a team fighting for their NCAA tourney lives. I like UNC’s chances. If Duke loses we are a top 4 ACC seed and sitting pretty wrt NCAAS. If Duke wins, then likely we’re the 5 seed BUT that means UNC loses and there’s no way UNC can seriously be put in ahead of us in the NCAAs seeing we beat them 2x. We get kinda lucky in this scenario IMO.
  5. Silver Lining #3: NCAA SEEDING. Ok, so the Bracketologists will likely drop us seeing we have to win every game meanwhile Missouri and Wisconsin and WVU can lose 2/3 of their games and stay afloat. Whatever. This loss actually may help drop us to a 10 or 11 and I think we’d all rather play the 7/10 or 6/11 vs 8/9. In fact I’ll call this a lock if we lose to Miami.
Bottom Line: I still give Pitt a 90% chance to make the tourney barring 2 epic disaster games in Miami and the ACCT.

Reactions: Fsgolfdr
  1. To quote Billy Shakespeare: Honesty is the best policy. Let’s be honest here folks, we are a good team, not great, and are gonna do what we do no matter the game flow. We have gotten away with playing very poor defense all year, maybe because the ACC is weak or maybe because we have three good perimeter shooters keeping us level. Either way, the only thing we can truly count on is playing bad defense and that’s gonna put you in peril game in game out even in a good year.
  2. Hate to say it but the Syracuse zone gave us a false bravado coming into this game. Dissecting a zone and getting wide-open threes it’s basically a throwaway game at this point. We were all hoping the Irish would limp into this game with not much to play for but unfortunately it appeared the opposite. Notre Dame ran their stuff and you have to give them a lot of credit for basically kicking our ass time and time again. In the Syracuse game, Capel put JB on their good three-point shooter in the second half and did not allow him to take over the game. We needed in game adjustments from coach last night, not whining to the officials. Hate to call one guy out but Nelly can’t stay in front of anyone on D and when this occurs we’re toast. Need to play him less IMO against these type of players.
  3. Silver Lining #1: We can still go down and beat Miami. We’re good enough but we HAVE to make our FTs and play at least some defense. I’d say we’re a 7-8 point dog but that means nothing. I’ll give us a 40% chance to win.
  4. Silver Lining #2: ACC Standings. Let’s say we lose to Miami and UVA beats Lville. Now, it’s comes down to us Duke and Clemson for the final 2 double byes. Clemson plays ND at home. I give ND a 30-40% to win that game. Duke plays at UNC a team fighting for their NCAA tourney lives. I like UNC’s chances. If Duke loses we are a top 4 ACC seed and sitting pretty wrt NCAAS. If Duke wins, then likely we’re the 5 seed BUT that means UNC loses and there’s no way UNC can seriously be put in ahead of us in the NCAAs seeing we beat them 2x. We get kinda lucky in this scenario IMO.
  5. Silver Lining #3: NCAA SEEDING. Ok, so the Bracketologists will likely drop us seeing we have to win every game meanwhile Missouri and Wisconsin and WVU can lose 2/3 of their games and stay afloat. Whatever. This loss actually may help drop us to a 10 or 11 and I think we’d all rather play the 7/10 or 6/11 vs 8/9. In fact I’ll call this a lock if we lose to Miami.
Bottom Line: I still give Pitt a 90% chance to make the tourney barring 2 epic disaster games in Miami and the ACCT.
It’s 50/50 to make the tourney need one win in next two if that doesn’t happen it’s NIT
Mark it down

It’s 50/50 to make the tourney need one win in next two if that doesn’t happen it’s NIT
Mark it down
For the sake of argument let's say that happens. It would be disappointing but did you personally think making the NIT was possible when the team was 1-3?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT