ADVERTISEMENT

Capelbull

Jan 11, 2024
I believe that HCJC is a capable head coach. By definition as a HC he is responsible for the roster (with the exception of injuries). With Pitt basketball, as with the Pittsburgh Pirates, there is a self imposed salary cap which in turn limits the talent on the roster. I remember the calls for Dixon to be replaced were based upon post season results, over controlling coaching, and slow offensive pace. What a mistake! TCU v OK was on last night, TCU's offense looked nothing like any of Jamie's teams here. He must have learned a lot reading Panther-Lair. Fun team to watch.

Pitt played UNC tough in my opinion, but Davis was just too good and UNC overall is too much for Pitt along the baseline. Against Duke Filipowski was all world and the rest of that squad shot it pretty well. Two players like that can determine any game.

Since the Buzz Ridl days I can think of no more than a dozen Pitt players who were First Team All League, Pitt has none now. Maybe Burton was at that level last year, but for the most part Pitt players now and for the past 53 years that I've been watching have some flaws. The coaches at Pitt and their opponents know this. There is nothing about Capel's game planning, preparation or in game adjustments that can overcome a matchup like the Duke game ( when Duke plays like that) --man to man didn't work, double Filipowski didn't work, zone didn't work, what do you want a triangle and two? The Pitt teams in the past, including some of Capel's, have that one night where they play above their norms and shoot it like Duke did then they can beat a top ranked team.

Judge these guys by what they do against similarly talented teams, as some would say Quad 2-3 games, because that is the level of Pitt's talent. The schedule was unkind this year. Start off with BC instead of Clemson and play Syracuse at home with a crew that calls reach-in fouls and we are 3 and 2 (with two home losses and lots of road games to go) and things look at least a little better. This team will fall short of the Bubble, so I will watch to see players improve and hope for a magical night or two.

I believe that HCJC is a capable head coach. By definition as a HC he is responsible for the roster (with the exception of injuries). With Pitt basketball, as with the Pittsburgh Pirates, there is a self imposed salary cap which in turn limits the talent on the roster. I remember the calls for Dixon to be replaced were based upon post season results, over controlling coaching, and slow offensive pace. What a mistake! TCU v OK was on last night, TCU's offense looked nothing like any of Jamie's teams here. He must have learned a lot reading Panther-Lair. Fun team to watch.

Pitt played UNC tough in my opinion, but Davis was just too good and UNC overall is too much for Pitt along the baseline. Against Duke Filipowski was all world and the rest of that squad shot it pretty well. Two players like that can determine any game.

Since the Buzz Ridl days I can think of no more than a dozen Pitt players who were First Team All League, Pitt has none now. Maybe Burton was at that level last year, but for the most part Pitt players now and for the past 53 years that I've been watching have some flaws. The coaches at Pitt and their opponents know this. There is nothing about Capel's game planning, preparation or in game adjustments that can overcome a matchup like the Duke game ( when Duke plays like that) --man to man didn't work, double Filipowski didn't work, zone didn't work, what do you want a triangle and two? The Pitt teams in the past, including some of Capel's, have that one night where they play above their norms and shoot it like Duke did then they can beat a top ranked team.

Judge these guys by what they do against similarly talented teams, as some would say Quad 2-3 games, because that is the level of Pitt's talent. The schedule was unkind this year. Start off with BC instead of Clemson and play Syracuse at home with a crew that calls reach-in fouls and we are 3 and 2 (with two home losses and lots of road games to go) and things look at least a little better. This team will fall short of the Bubble, so I will watch to see players improve and hope for a magical night or two.
Really nice first post. Thanks for the contribution.

For the record, two Panthers have been first team ACC (Champagnie & Burton), nine first team Big East (Smith, Lane, Shorter, Knight, Troutman, Gray, Blair, Young and Gibbs) and three first team Eastern 8 (Harris, Ellis, Clancy) so your take on a dozen was just about right.

Agree with a lot here. Right on Jamie. He definitely has gotten away from defense-first. Had to.

If you toss-out the UNC and Duke losses, Pitt is 0-3 vs similarly talented teams. Syr was on the road and that's tough. Mizzou and Clemson, they were right there with. Problem is the schedule like you said. Had we started with ND instead of Clem, lets say an L at Syr then home with FSU instead of UNC, W at L and home with say, VT instead of Duke, we are 4-1 and in some brackets. But the way the schedule worked out, the season is basically over except for the NIT. Confidence is shot and Pitt almost has to win out now and they arent going to.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT