ADVERTISEMENT

Chad Voytik's Growth Encouraging For Pitt, LINK!!

CaptainSidneyReilly

Chancellor
Dec 25, 2006
Last week we looked at how each of the ACC's returning quarterbacks Chad Voytik.

It's not that Voytik was the best quarterback in the league as last season progressed, but the improvement he made from September to December was dramatic.

GO TO LINK TO SEE CHART!

In the month of November, there's actually a case to be made that Voytik was the ACC's top QB -- at least statistically. Of course, those stats simply translated into a 2-3 record during that stretch, but the big takeaway for Pitt fans is that the QB wasn't the problem. In fact, Pitt's offense scored at least 30 points in every one of those games -- the 12th-highest scoring offense among all Power 5 teams.

So what exactly changed for Voytik that he went from deer-in-headlights to one of the ACC's best marksmen over the course of a season?

"The things that I had to learn this season weren't the X's and O's," Voytik said. "That playing time and feeling comfortable with my surroundings, that's what changed in my performance. It happens with any young player. Your first time out there, you just don't want to mess things up -- especially at quarterback. You kind of play scared. I got to that point where it was time to just let it all out there, trust in my ability and play."

The trust had to come on both ends, too. Voytik had to learn to trust his own ability, but he also had to convince his coaches. And with tailback James Conner quickly establishing himself as the ACC's top runner, the offensive game plan tended to avoid putting Voytik in too many stressful situations.

[+] Enlarge

Ray Carlin/USA TODAY SportsThe future is bright for Pitt as QB Chad Voytik returns with more experience and better decision-making learned throughout the 2014 season.As the season progressed, however, Voytik said that began to change, too. The game plan still largely revolved around Conner, but Voytik became a legitimate weapon -- particularly with standout wide receiver Tyler Boyd on the receiving end of so many of his throws.

"Throughout the year, the coaches gained that trust in me," Voytik said. "James continued to dominate, Tyler was our No. 1 target, and I know on scramble plays, I could get out of the pocket and he'd find room to get open."

That latter point is another area where Voytik became a legitimate weapon.

In the first half of the season, Voytik did make some big plays downfield when on the move, but he also made plenty of mistakes. He completed 57.7 percent of his throws outside the pocket, but failed to toss a touchdown while throwing two picks. In the second half of the season, his completion percentage jumped to 64.3 percent, he threw two touchdowns and no interceptions, according to ESPN Stats & Information.

The big difference there was simply better -- and safer -- decision-making. Voytik averaged 10.6 air yards per throw during the first half of the season, and just 7.9 in the second half. He also managed to cut his sack rate dramatically in the process.

But the interesting thing is, while Boyd was his most targeted receiver on the run in 2014, Voytik's targets outside the pocket were much different than when he was settled in the pocket.

Perhaps the most glaring takeaway from Pitt's passing game in 2014 was just how significant Boyd's role was. He was responsible for 52.2 percent of the Panthers' receiving yards (easily the highest rate in the nation) and 41.5 percent of its receptions (trailing only Alabama's Amari Cooper). But when Voytik was on the run, things changed a bit.

Outside the pocket, Boyd was the target of just 13 of Voytik's 54 throws (24 percent). That's less than half Boyd's target rate when Voytik was inside the pocket. That provides two important takeaways. The first is that, thanks largely to the play-action, when Voytik had time to throw, Boyd -- his first read -- was usually open. The second is that when he was forced to move beyond his first read, Voytik did a solid job of moving the pocket and finding other receivers.

And if that's not enough for Pitt fans to be enthusiastic about their QB situation heading into 2015, there's one other bit of positive news. Former Tennessee quarterback Nathan Peterman is set to transfer to Pitt, giving the Panthers some much-needed depth at the position. Peterman worked with new offensive coordinator Jim Chaney at Tennessee, and while Chaney isn't looking at his new arrival as an alternative to Voytik, he is hopeful that having a veteran presence in the QB meeting rooms can push his young starter.

"He's a smart kid, intelligent, athletic and accurate," Chaney said of Peterman. "When I looked at the roster, I didn't feel like we had anybody in the older group. He spent a lot of time with Chad, and I wanted to make sure we weren't trying to screw anyone. We just want to get the most competitive environment as possible."

Chaney's job this spring is a big one as he tries to install his offensive game plan, but his task should be made much easier now that he has an established QB to go with his all-ACC receiver and running back.

LINK

The least of Pitt's problems last year was the offense!

Most of the losses last year can be hung directly around the necks of the pathetic defensive effort and scheme. Hopefully that changes this year, and the offense maintains its production. If that happens, the wins will come with regularity.

Agree that offense was not the problem last season...at least after the first couple of games. But in addition to the defense, the special teams were running neck and neck with reasons for several of the losses...the most recent being the bowl game. Hail to Pitt!

chryst dumbed down the playbook partway through the season the same way he did with tino but nowhere near to the same degree.

im expecting the sophistication chad is expected to display this year will be bumped up a fair amount by chaney. nowhere near as many bootleg single reads to a TE or RB or single reads in general. he's going to be expected to make more drop-back read the d and go through your progressions throws, as he should be.

This post was edited on 2/18 3:52 PM by deepelemblues

Re: 3-3-1!

Iowa, Akron and UVA Losses can be hung on the Offense. Coaches calls in Iowa were not best either, Coaches did not have the Players ready for Akron and were out coached all game long, Coaches not having Voytik ready to Run was also the blame, unlike he did in VT that help win that game with pretty darn good Defense.

Duke, UNC, Houston, Losses on Defense & Special Teams! Chryst & Rudolph not having his Special Teams ready all 3 years of his coaching cost the Duke and Houston games. Special Teams giving up a Kick Off return and missing the winning last second Kick with bad previous play calling cost Pitt the Duke game. Kicks, Kickoffs and On-Side Kicks! Defense was hard to see in those games too, but Special Teams were outright terrible.

The Georgia Tech Game the Players were not ready for that game, too many fumbles and forgot how to protect the Ball was a Multiple Team Non-Effort by a few Players!

Pitt did a great job providing Paul Chryst with his Head Coach Tutoring to get ready for Wisky. I still think Coach Paul will lose 2 games at Wisky on Special Teams, We Shall See? Just A Hunch!

Special Teams Coach Poster Failure!
paulchryst.jpg
"Duh, Um, Aw Shucks!, We Don't Need No Stinking Special Teams!"

images

This post was edited on 2/18 5:56 PM by CaptainSidneyReilly

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT