ADVERTISEMENT

Cincinnati tarp

I really don't but would you have thought Cincinnati could have supported MINOR LEAGUE soccer. They are outdrawing MLS teams and some 1st divison European teams.

That's fine in Cincy. When Pgh starts growing out of Highmark stadium and it expands, then we can talk. You are the king of if it happens in one place, then it certainly has to happen in Pgh.

Reactions: Springfield Panther
FC Cincinnati, a new soccer team in USL (which is technically the 3rd division behind MLS, same as Riverhounds) is drawing massive crowds that has stunned the American soccer community. Cincitucky has never been thought of as a soccer town but they have developed a Seattle Sounders-like rabid young fanbase.

Anyway, they "sold out" their US Open Cup seminal loss to the NY Red Bulls last night but didn't make several thousand tickets available, instead putting a pretty cool-looling tarp over it.

Take a look at this picture and this is how cool 30K-40K would look if people weren't spread out in a stadium that is far too big.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/08/09/fc-cincinnati-sell-out-us-open-cup-semifinal-vs-new-york-red-bulls?amp
massive crowds that has stunned the American soccer community....= a Thursday Pitt-Duke football gate for a super duper soccer semi final for the twelfth division of the third realm of Baltor League(or pick a soccer playoff from thje 80 or 90 leagues out there) ...

Make no mistake, the closest I ever came to a soccer game is when I foolishly rented the movie "Ladybugs" . But it seems to have its niche. And if any town could be used a predictor of something that might work in Pittsburgh, Cincinnati would be at least in the ballpark (pun intended).

Reactions: pittdan77
They should have went off-campus and played at Paul Brown Stadium because THAT'S a PROFESSIONAL stadium and the association with an NFL franchise and their stadium will boost the image of soccer even though there will be thousands of empty seats.

I go to at least one game a year, I live 4 hours away, hate to drive, and don't want to dedicate 7 weekends in the fall to driving across the turnpike, and when I do go, I just like to sit quietly and analyze the game, I stand up when everyone else does, but I've never been a person that YELLS or "makes noise"- I don't want to and not obligated to, sorry, I'm not there to "create atmosphere" and make an impression, I'm just there FOR ME.

Can you explain this more?

The reason I love going to games is for the atmosphere, the experience in general. I also love going to away games to see what traditions are at other schools and make at least one road game per year. Typically, I re-watch the game at a later date when I want to analyze the game. If you're only there "for you" isn't it more enjoyable to watch the game at home? Full disclosure, without hesitation, I drive to all 7 home games per year and am one of the first cars in line for the tailgating lot every game. I actually like tailgating more than the game itself but I digress.

Reactions: eyebugs
I really don't but would you have thought Cincinnati could have supported MINOR LEAGUE soccer. They are outdrawing MLS teams and some 1st divison European teams.

That's fine in Cincy. When Pgh starts growing out of Highmark stadium and it expands, then we can talk. You are the king of if it happens in one place, then it certainly has to happen in Pgh.

The Riverhounds are never going to grow out of Highmark. Its a low-end operation played in a bare bones HS-level stadium owned by a construction guy from Fayette County. It has no growth.

Would MLS work in Pittsburgh? I don't think but as I said never in a million years would I have predicted what's going on at Nippert and I have said that MLS was extremely stupid for adding Atlanta, the 2nd worst sports town in America behind Miami. Atlanta had an NASL team that drew similar to the Riverhounds. I thought soccer would crash and burn in the ATL but I couldn't have been more wrong. The Atlanta MLS team has been a box office smash.

Smart people need to be thinking how to get in on the MLS train. Soccer has worked in 2 obscure soccer cities (Cin, Atl) and if enough money and effort was put into it, it could work in Pittsburgh. Perhaps a Rooney or Mario-owned team would do well.

Make no mistake, the closest I ever came to a soccer game is when I foolishly rented the movie "Ladybugs" . But it seems to have its niche. And if any town could be used a predictor of something that might work in Pittsburgh, Cincinnati would be at least in the ballpark (pun intended).
you rented ladybugs? Nice.. I hate soccer but i'll put "Victory" up there with any good sports movie. If you can get past Michael Caine being athletic, it's quite a good movie..

The reason I love going to games is for the atmosphere, the experience in general. I also love going to away games to see what traditions are at other schools and make at least one road game per year. Typically, I re-watch the game at a later date when I want to analyze the game. If you're only there "for you" isn't it more enjoyable to watch the game at home? Full disclosure, without hesitation, I drive to all 7 home games per year and am one of the first cars in line for the tailgating lot every game. I actually like tailgating more than the game itself but I digress.
every body likes tailgating more than the game. you are drinking beer outside with your friends, eating bbq. of course you are going to like tailgating more than the game, you pretty much have to. that's why a majority of the pitt fans are still in the parking lot halfway thru the first quarter.

The Riverhounds are never going to grow out of Highmark. Its a low-end operation played in a bare bones HS-level stadium owned by a construction guy from Fayette County. It has no growth.

Would MLS work in Pittsburgh? I don't think but as I said never in a million years would I have predicted what's going on at Nippert and I have said that MLS was extremely stupid for adding Atlanta, the 2nd worst sports town in America behind Miami. Atlanta had an NASL team that drew similar to the Riverhounds. I thought soccer would crash and burn in the ATL but I couldn't have been more wrong. The Atlanta MLS team has been a box office smash.

Smart people need to be thinking how to get in on the MLS train. Soccer has worked in 2 obscure soccer cities (Cin, Atl) and if enough money and effort was put into it, it could work in Pittsburgh. Perhaps a Rooney or Mario-owned team would do well.

Las Vegas was given an expansion franchise in the USL for next season, and will play in a really crappy old stadium with about 9k capacity where the Triple A baseball team currently plays.

It's already been pretty much accepted that if soccer here isn't a total flop the city will build one of those 20k soccer stadiums that you mentioned and attempt a quick move up to MLS. If they can get people to go to Cashman Field to watch third division soccer I'm sure an MLS team in a new stadium in the suburbs will do quite well.

you rented ladybugs? Nice.. I hate soccer but i'll put "Victory" up there with any good sports movie. If you can get past Michael Caine being athletic, it's quite a good movie..
O yeah I checked it out. I worshipped Rodney. "Back To School" remains the single funniest movie ever. I don't know that I was able to finish this movie though. Really bad.

The Will Farrell soccer coach movie where Ditka is his assistant should have been better (much better). But had moments (very few). I hope Mike was able to pay off wherever debts forced him into that...

every body likes tailgating more than the game. you are drinking beer outside with your friends, eating bbq. of course you are going to like tailgating more than the game, you pretty much have to. that's why a majority of the pitt fans are still in the parking lot halfway thru the first quarter.
Don't underestimate this causing negative pressure on our crowds as lots disappear. Also as a big reason our crowds at Heinz average more than Pitt Stadium. I personally like Heinz better but hold no delusion that improved tailgating (initially) as well as the easier access aren't the main reasons that crowds at Heinz were better. The teams themselves are not the reason; they've been decent overall but really just a little better than the 90s, and the home schedules now are worse than the 80s , which seemed to have far better 'name' opponents when we were independent.

Loss of tailgating equally ticks off old time Steeler fans too (many have told me) . The impact on their crowds isn't there because they win more, plus there are far more on waiting list glad to buy the tickets of old drunks who don't want to go because tailgating is gone.

Last edited:
People bitch about the seat color....but I truly believe that it was with PITT in mind that it became predominant color. While the shades vary (and in Pitts case change), it's the basic color the team share.

So yeah, it makes the empties stick aht.....but that had to be a factor as to why it wasn't black, or an otherwise neutral color.

A charcoal color with some yellow sections would have looked great

People bitch about the seat color....but I truly believe that it was with PITT in mind that it became predominant color. While the shades vary (and in Pitts case change), it's the basic color the team share.

So yeah, it makes the empties stick aht.....but that had to be a factor as to why it wasn't black, or an otherwise neutral color.

A charcoal color with some yellow sections would have looked great
I agree with this actually. At least in part.

Black would have likely made hot September games brutal too.

I actually think if they ever consider a color change (doubtful), one idea could be to expand to some blue (maybe some or all of the upper deck) and red (perhaps the club level layer) while keeping the lower bowl yellow, to mimic the three colors of the hypocycloid on the Steeler helmet, while tossing the blue bone to us.

I go primarily for THE PARTY, I have family and friends traditions, I go and meet a group of people tailgate for hours, go to the game, then go out after, one maybe two games per year. A lot of the people I only see once or twice a year.

I'm really excited about Baltimore getting a USL team within the next 2 years. I actually like that it's minor league, I hope tickets are cheap and available at the door for game day decision attendance.

Atlanta United spent some money and are a contender right away, that helps.

IMO there's no reason to go other than the tailgating, if tailgating was banned I'd never go again, the game is better seen and enjoyed on TV. You put the effort to fight traffic to get there only because there's a PARTY.

Reactions: Swervin27
See the other thread. There must be restrictions to doing it, or Pitt would have tried it by now. There's plenty dubious about Pitt administrative thinking, but this concept would have occurred, even to them, after 16 years.

Anyone so oddly passionate about this topic should make some calls and investigate who or what the restrictions are. My money would be on the stadium authority or perhaps even the ACC, not the Steelers. If Pitt paid for it, i don't think they'd care.
It's not an ACC restriction. The ACC has actually used a tarp a time or two during the ACCCG when a poor-travelling school makes it. When FSU and Duke squared off a few years back (2013 I wanna say), some of the upper deck in Bank of America Stadium was tarped off.

Maybe if they moved to Paul Brown stadium they'd be in a power 5 conference.

This was one of the main reasons for not eliminating the upper end zone section of the stadium with a tarp. My understanding is that tarring is seriously being considered. You are always going to alienate someone with any move you make, but if they believe it will help, then you bite the bullet. The one thing I don't understand about people in the upper end zone. Why would they balk at moving to an upper sideline seat?

IMO there's no reason to go other than the tailgating, if tailgating was banned I'd never go again, the game is better seen and enjoyed on TV. You put the effort to fight traffic to get there only because there's a PARTY.
Same idea with these Kenny Chutney and Luke Bryant shows at Heinz. The acts themselves are garbage. It's the party that brought the masses.

Same idea with these Kenny Chutney and Luke Bryant shows at Heinz. The acts themselves are garbage. It's the party that brought the masses.
what's wrong with their acts? not a country fan myself but the young folks seem to enjoy it. I mean, its gotta be better than soccer.

I was watching that channel that shows the concerts live, think it's Mark Cuban's channel. anyway they had a Chesney concert on and the venue was right on beach, facing out. People on sand of course but you could chill in the ocean, drink in hand, listening. it was sweet. not sure the beach, it was very calm too so might have been on the gulf side, no waves so it's not like you are drinking your rum and coke and getting blasted by waves..

Not sure this is a compliment on Chesney as it is the venue. I could be listening to Traffic with steve winwood and still have a good time at this place.

This was one of the main reasons for not eliminating the upper end zone section of the stadium with a tarp. My understanding is that tarring is seriously being considered. You are always going to alienate someone with any move you make, but if they believe it will help, then you bite the bullet. The one thing I don't understand about people in the upper end zone. Why would they balk at moving to an upper sideline seat?

Some people like that angle, from behind the endzone instead of the side. And those were/are the cheapest seats so it was a very good deal.

Nothing screams success, excitement or big time sports like a tarp over a portion of the stadium. Hail to Pitt!

LOL!!!!

Nothing screams success, excitement or big time like playing in a half empty stadium.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Empty yellow seats or a navy blue tarp with a big script logo? If we can't fill the seats, which we never will unless we become Alabama or play ND, PSU, Ohio State, or Michigan every week, I'd rather have the tarp.

There's no reason whatsoever not to tarp the bleacher end zone seats with a smart looking, giant PITT script. Then, leave the rest as is... Dips capacity to about of GTs stadium.

There's no reason whatsoever not to tarp the bleacher end zone seats with a smart looking, giant PITT script. Then, leave the rest as is... Dips capacity to about of GTs stadium.
Either Pitt is inordinately worried about the folks who cough up the 80 bucks and no donation for the upper deck, which i don't really think they are ... either that or tarping is verboten for some reason.

NotE I'm not saying I'd personally favor it or not, I actually really don't care either way. I can see merit (and demerit) in the idea. But in the course of 4 ADs and 2 chancellor's after 16 years, they've certainly had to have considered it ... heck after that Wednesday night UConn game in the rain, when i think we could count the crowd on Tom Dempsey's toes, you would think an emergency trustee session would have been called to debate it. Yet there are no tarps. So maybe one idea to give up the ghost on.

Reactions: JohnnyGossamer
I'm glad that none of the "fans of the tarp" have influence in Pitt's AD department.

A Steve Pederson third term would be one of the few worse decisions that could be made.

I'm glad that none of the "fans of the tarp" have influence in Pitt's AD department.

A Steve Pederson third term would be one of the few worse decisions that could be made.
I get the pride. I really do. And, winning trumps all. But, I just don't see a situation - aside from Pitt being consistently in the Top 10 - that Heinz is regularly filled anywhere near capacity. It's pretty common issue among urban located college football teams.

Some people like that angle, from behind the endzone instead of the side. And those were/are the cheapest seats so it was a very good deal.

I actually can't believe that anyone would rather sit in the upper level sideline in the end zone or near the goal line watching the whole game being played off to one side of them rather than in the back of the end zone looking straight on at the game. But that doesn't change the fact that Pitt should stop selling those seats.

I actually can't believe that anyone would rather sit in the upper level sideline in the end zone or near the goal line watching the whole game being played off to one side of them rather than in the back of the end zone looking straight on at the game. But that doesn't change the fact that Pitt should stop selling those seats.

I agree. But "some people", yeah "some people" like Pork Flavored Ice Cream too. Doesn't mean I would want to start a business selling it. Again, Tarping is a no brainer if it is done right. Concentrate the crowd. Those damn yellow seats again act as a highlighter to every open seat. When you have rows of them, it looks horrible.

Reactions: DiehardPanther
LOL!!!!

Nothing screams success, excitement or big time like playing in a half empty stadium.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!
It's still exactly the same percentage empty when there are tarps over the seats.

Here's an idea, move Pitt to Potter County, then there won't be Steelers or Pirates or Pens, it will be the only game in town and people will come from miles around to go to games.

I get the pride. I really do. And, winning trumps all. But, I just don't see a situation - aside from Pitt being consistently in the Top 10 - that Heinz is regularly filled anywhere near capacity. It's pretty common issue among urban located college football teams.

So then WHO CARES? Just accept that most games will have between 40-45K fans.

Spending money to put tarps over empty seats is STUPID.

Nothing screams success, excitement or big time sports like a tarp over a portion of the stadium. Hail to Pitt!
I don't like "giving up" by tarping the stadium, but the more I consider it, I can see some of the benefits. Put big logos on the tarps to bring in revenue. Move the fans closer to the field, so it seems louder. On TV, the stadium looks fuller, which helps with perception. I'd at least trial it for some of the known lower attended games for at least one season. Not sure what it hurts.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT