ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Duzz meeting w/AD Lyke

in a few weeks or so.....

How does it go down?

Assistants let go?

I don't think Heather will demand any assistants be fired. Narduzzi isn't stupid. He knows he cant retain everyone after that type of offensive performance. All energy should be spent to keep the recruiting class and add to it and then focus on the next one.

Reactions: dave97
If Lyke has any managerial skill she will review his year with PN and give him a Below Expectations rating. We all know what that means, well most of us on the site do, some probably don't.

That means you're on the clock, and you have one more year to show significant improvement or you are out the door.

So she'll ask Narduzzi to submit his narrative of expectations for next year and two years out and after she reads that she'll provide him with her and PITT's expectations for next year and two years out.

If they don't match up trouble in River City for PN.

If I was Lyke he gets next year to have a 8 min - 9 or 10 win season and a ACC Coastal Div championship or he will be out.
Good aggressive goal for PN. If he gets close she can always back off on the ACC Coastal Div Champion but its a weak division and an attainable goal for the PITT hc.

PN needs some official motivation, he's way to comfortable and flip.

Oh yea I'd also tell him to "shut up and coach" until you reach greater heights in college football.
People hate to listen to others in the basement complaining about things.

Last edited:
I don't recall ever hearing her state what her expectations for the football program are....unless I missed it.

Don't you think Lyke should have expectations for PN and the football program ? I do.

Otherwise PN isn't accountable to anything except what he thinks which might not match up to his bosses expectations.

LOL!!!!

Improvements like letting Dave Wannstedt and Jamie Dixon go so Pitt can improve.

Basketball is still in recovery mode for the next 5 year.

Although Narduzzi must know that the offense needs to be improved. Matt Canada sitting unemployed.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Don't you think Lyke should have expectations for PN and the football program ? I do.

Otherwise PN isn't accountable to anything except what he thinks which might not match up to his bosses expectations.
If you have 5-7 level fan support and the resulting 6-6 level financial support from the university, how could any leader demand higher than a 7/8 win level output?

That said, next year is THE year with a senior QB, lots of offensive and HOPEFULLY defensive returnees. The expectation should be there for a better than standard-quo performance. I'd let Narduzzi roll with the staff of his choosing knowing this. If grumpy grandpa OC is his man, so be it. If the OL and RB/ST coaches are cutting it in his mind, so be it. I'd personally alter the latter, but we have two nice RB recruits on verbal, so I'd want to be damn confident they are committed to PITT before replacing their position coach.

I like Pickett a lot more than most. You eliminate half the drops, get him a TE that can catch, an even AVERAGE running game and some coaching that knows what the hell they are doing calling plays inside the 20 and he would have had one of the best seasons a Pitt QB has had this decade, IMO. I'm hoping the red zone issues are related to zero confidence in the run game and they solve for each other next year.

If you have 5-7 level fan support and the resulting 6-6 level financial support from the university, how could any leader demand higher than a 7/8 win level output?

That said, next year is THE year with a senior QB, lots of offensive and HOPEFULLY defensive returnees. The expectation should be there for a better than standard-quo performance. I'd let Narduzzi roll with the staff of his choosing knowing this. If grumpy grandpa OC is his man, so be it. If the OL and RB/ST coaches are cutting it in his mind, so be it. I'd personally alter the latter, but we have two nice RB recruits on verbal, so I'd want to be damn confident they are committed to PITT before replacing their position coach.

I like Pickett a lot more than most. You eliminate half the drops, get him a TE that can catch, an even AVERAGE running game and some coaching that knows what the hell they are doing calling plays inside the 20 and he would have had one of the best seasons a Pitt QB has had this decade, IMO. I'm hoping the red zone issues are related to zero confidence in the run game and they solve for each other next year.

Yep. If Narduzzi can't win 9 games with a Senior QB and basically every difference-maker except Dane Jackson; Kylan Johnson; Damar Hamlin and to a lesser extent Maurice Ffrench and the TEs returning than it is NEVER going to happen with him.

I would think the conversation should begin with "Pat, you have had 5 seasons here and have yet to finish in the Top 25. The expectation is next year must have a top 25 finish or we must reevaluate the entire football operation"

I don't think a Top 25 finish is an unreasonable goal in a 6 year time span given that the program he inherited was far from a "dumpster fire" and Chryst "stabilized" the program as many here like to point out. To not improve on that after six years....well I think it is time to move on. Pretty much anyone can come in and be 6-6, what's the harm in trying?

I would think the conversation should begin with "Pat, you have had 5 seasons here and have yet to finish in the Top 25. The expectation is next year must have a top 25 finish or we must reevaluate the entire football operation"

I don't think a Top 25 finish is an unreasonable goal in a 6 year time span given that the program he inherited was far from a "dumpster fire" and Chryst "stabilized" the program as many here like to point out. To not improve on that after six years....well I think it is time to move on. Pretty much anyone can come in and be 6-6, what's the harm in trying?

I don't like top 25 because it is kind of arbitrary. There are a whole slew of reasons why we could have a good season but be left out. For example, what if we win 9 games but the ACC is just really terrible? I think most would agree that 9 would be a success.

We should be able to hit at least 8 wins. An ACC Coastal Championship is also a realistic, but I think unnecessary, goal. Win at least 8 and he stays. Win 7 and the ACC Coastal and he stays. Anything less and he goes.

I don't like top 25 because it is kind of arbitrary. There are a whole slew of reasons why we could have a good season but be left out. For example, what if we win 9 games but the ACC is just really terrible? I think most would agree that 9 would be a success.

We should be able to hit at least 8 wins. An ACC Coastal Championship is also a realistic, but I think unnecessary, goal. Win at least 8 and he stays. Win 7 and the ACC Coastal and he stays. Anything less and he goes.

Most seasons a 9-4 should get you ranked but yeah it is not always cut & dry. A win over ND and 9-4 should do the trick. Another 7-5 Coastal championship? I guess, but that is so Pitt and does little to move the needle with the fan base. But you can't move on from a coach who won the Coastal so that is actually the worse possible scenario to play out.

Most seasons a 9-4 should get you ranked but yeah it is not always cut & dry. A win over ND and 9-4 should do the trick. Another 7-5 Coastal championship? I guess, but that is so Pitt and does little to move the needle with the fan base. But you can't move on from a coach who won the Coastal so that is actually the worse possible scenario to play out.

I mostly agree. I just think that our destiny lies in winning the ACC Coastal. Do that a few times and we build a narrative and get the recruits. going 4-0 OOC and then 5-3 in the Coastal and losing it to UVA or VT wouldn't be as helpful to us as a program, I don't think.

As one poster said - why would any sane fan want this staff altered?

Extend everyone - because stability.
Kodak Corp had stability for many years, same management, same company until they were to stupid and comfortable in their jobs to figure out they were about to go out of business which happened.

Stability is great as long as the management team is competent and progressing.

PITT needs some help in recruiting, developing players, offensive game plans and lately it seems the D is slipping.

PITT football needs stability and competency!
Not sure how they achieve that goal but Lyke is paid to figure that out!

Reactions: brickfhouse
Kodak Corp had stability for many years, same management, same company until they were to stupid and comfortable in their jobs to figure out they were about to go out of business which happened.

PITT needs some help in recruiting, developing players, offensive game plans and lately it seems the D is slipping.

I firmly believe most things have an expiration date.

Reactions: PittFamily2
We have no idea what Lyke or more important Gallagher happens to view as the vision for the program. I suspect Gallagher is nerdy Ligth. Field a decent team don't get in trouble. That's it.

Reactions: PittFamily2
You eliminate half the drops, get him a TE that can catch, an even AVERAGE running game and some coaching that knows what the hell they are doing calling plays inside the 20 and he would have had one of the best seasons a Pitt QB has had this decade,

LoL

If I were 6 inches taller, with 9% less body fat, had naturally Blond hair, could sing like Harry Connick Jr., and had a slightly shorter nose, I would be living in a $4,500,000 house in Malibu right now!

I am not laughing at you, I am laughing with you. Pitt fans , we dream alot!!!

If he keeps this recruiting class and has a good one lined up next year, he gets 2021 pretty much no matter what. We need talent in the program first and foremost.

I don't hate Pickett as much as some either. He had to have the most drops of any QB where the ball was catchable. We make half those catches and extend drives I would bet we win 2 if not 3 more games. Other than VT we could have won any game this year but always at a big time we'd have a drop ending a drive or killing momentum. It's not to say he doesn't need to get better because he does and throw balls more accurately but a lot of the drops were killers.

Reactions: FireballZ and gary2

Stability can be great. It's a virtue when you're big and things are going well.

Stability is great when you're a global bank with $2 trillion in assets.

Stability is not so great when you're averaging 7 wins per year for half-a-decade in the worst division in college football.​

I don't hate Pickett as much as some either. He had to have the most drops of any QB where the ball was catchable. We make half those catches and extend drives I would bet we win 2 if not 3 more games. Other than VT we could have won any game this year but always at a big time we'd have a drop ending a drive or killing momentum. It's not to say he doesn't need to get better because he does and throw balls more accurately but a lot of the drops were killers.
If I'm the OC, the two areas of focus for Kenny in the offseason are: 1) learning to occasionally throw a touch pass 2) studying film an hour a day. He needs to read the defensive coverage better at the line so he's not stuck focused on option #1 and #2 most of the time and can be more decisive.

I know I made a thread on it before, not too successfully, but it is a very interesting question: as long as we're not likely to beat Clemson for a conference title with them as possibly the best team in the country, what the hell is the actual reasonable yet aspirational goal of the head coach?

I like the idea of something like "you need some top 25 finishes." Division titles more than once every 7 years (which would be exactly average). A decent bowl win. A double digit win year. You need some sort of metrics, and I'm not sure exactly what they are.

Reactions: freddietee511
If I'm the OC, the two areas of focus for Kenny in the offseason are: 1) learning to occasionally throw a touch pass 2) studying film an hour a day. He needs to read the defensive coverage better at the line so he's not stuck focused on option #1 and #2 most of the time and can be more decisive.

Throw in footwork and any other drills that can improve accuracy.

I’ve been mostly in the middle with Pickett. He’s got a good enough arm and he has guts for days. If he can improve on these 3 things he could have a big senior year a la Stull out of nowhere.

I know I made a thread on it before, not too successfully, but it is a very interesting question: as long as we're not likely to beat Clemson for a conference title with them as possibly the best team in the country, what the hell is the actual reasonable yet aspirational goal of the head coach?

I like the idea of something like "you need some top 25 finishes." Division titles more than once every 7 years (which would be exactly average). A decent bowl win. A double digit win year. You need some sort of metrics, and I'm not sure exactly what they are.

I think there’s a pretty big group of us that can’t necessarily define it but will know it when we see/experience it. But yea I’d say you’re definitely in the ballpark with what you’ve laid out.

Next year for Narduzzi means he MUST win a minimum of 9 games, not including an insignificant bowl game, and MUST be ranked in the top 25 at the end of the year, including the bowl game, with at least one win over a major opponent with a pulse (ND, for instance). If he doesn't do that, it's over and he should be cut loose. And if he gets himself into his typical debacles with lower tier teams, like he did with Ohio and Delaware, his seat instantly becomes red hot.

He beat Ohio he beat Delaware (with a shitload of players out)

Other coaches at Pitt have lost those games

Harping on either is moronic

LOL!!!!

Improvements like letting Dave Wannstedt and Jamie Dixon go so Pitt can improve.

Basketball is still in recovery mode for the next 5 year.

Although Narduzzi must know that the offense needs to be improved. Matt Canada sitting unemployed.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!
Jamie left on his own

Reactions: Saboteur
He beat Ohio he beat Delaware (with a shitload of players out)

Other coaches at Pitt have lost those games

Harping on either is moronic

Actually to be honest that's not something I would put on my resume if I was PN.
All that means is Narduzzi followed a total bunch of incompetents at PITT who should have won a lot of the games they lost.
Kinda like Capel telling everyone he won games Stallings lost.
He'd get a So What Look! You better! Or you're toast too!

If Lyke has any managerial skill she will review his year with PN and give him a Below Expectations rating. We all know what that means, well most of us on the site do, some probably don't.

That means you're on the clock, and you have one more year to show significant improvement or you are out the door.

So she'll ask Narduzzi to submit his narrative of expectations for next year and two years out and after she reads that she'll provide him with her and PITT's expectations for next year and two years out.

If they don't match up trouble in River City for PN.

If I was Lyke he gets next year to have a 8 min - 9 or 10 win season and a ACC Coastal Div championship or he will be out.
Good aggressive goal for PN. If he gets close she can always back off on the ACC Coastal Div Champion but its a weak division and an attainable goal for the PITT hc.

PN needs some official motivation, he's way to comfortable and flip.

Oh yea I'd also tell him to "shut up and coach" until you reach greater heights in college football.
People hate to listen to others in the basement complaining about things.
He is far too comfortable and his glib attitude is wearing thin.

Encouraged by the AD who then left Pitt.

Jamie's record at Pitt was 286-86 with 12 NCAA Tournament appearances.

How many more (years 4 and counting) will Pitt have to wait for its next NCAA invite.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!!

These dolts will never understand what the real situation was with Jamie. And why is that being brought up again? Those who know the facts know what happened, and it wasn't that he left entirely on his own. Being pushed out the door by a moron isn't leaving on his own. But it's ancient history now.

Encouraged by the AD who then left Pitt.

Jamie's record at Pitt was 286-86 with 12 NCAA Tournament appearances.

How many more (years 4 and counting) will Pitt have to wait for its next NCAA invite.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!!
I do think about this quite often. The bar is very high to see “improvement”

Never bought the theory of one fluke FF run making or breaking a coach.

Hows shaka doing?

Actually to be honest that's not something I would put on my resume if I was PN.
All that means is Narduzzi followed a total bunch of incompetents at PITT who should have won a lot of the games they lost.
Kinda like Capel telling everyone he won games Stallings lost.
He'd get a So What Look! You better! Or you're toast too!

If Narduzzi can't beat Delaware and Ohio with just half of his players able to play, he has a serious problem. He barely won those games with most of his players. Nothing to be proud of, especially when he almost lost those games.

Reactions: BuffetParrothead
Does Narduzzi answer to Lyke or does Lyke answer to Narduzzi?

PN reports to Lyke.
Heather likes to emphasize that reporting relationship.
Btw - That's her Easton Enforcer her favorite softball bat.
Great for straightening out Foul Balls.
stock-photo-stunning-young-blonde-female-softball-player-standing-with-an-orange-baseball-bat-over-her-112270490.jpg

He had to have the most drops of any QB where the ball was catchable.

On the post game show on the way home after the BC game either Billy or Pat (I'm pretty sure it was Pat) said that according to the ACC Network heading into the games this weekend Pitt was leading the FBS in dropped passes.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT