ADVERTISEMENT

Coach preference.

Dallas Burgher

Head Coach
Gold Member
Jul 10, 2001
I am hoping we will get Kolat. Apologies for the previous misspelling. Who are you pulling for?

Last edited:
Reactions: Force4
Kolat would be my first choice by miles, but I don't think that's going to happen. Brands would bring excitement right away. Looks like there may be a shred of truth to Santoro rumors, and he is a class act. He is probably the university's ideal candidate. Can you imagine a brand new AD interviewing Terry Brands? I would be very happy with Scott, Bono, Pritzlaff, or Hahn.
The big thing is, how committed are the AD and the university? Shouldn't the AD be here this week to interview candidates? Shouldn't she be at the Classic tomorrow? I just don't think they care. A monkey could promote Pitt wrestling, but Pitt admin hasn't. Bottom line is that they could hire Dan Gable, but if the school doesn't promote the the team, it wouldn't matter.

Reactions: Force4
I'm pretty sure Pat wants the job. I think he's ready for it too. I think Lehigh is trying to come up with a package to ensure he stays, but he wants the bigger resources at Pitt. I believe he'll get better recruits to Pitt and make that program big time. The guy is intensely driven to succeed. We have to pay him and follow through on facility upgrades

I believe he'll get better recruits to Pitt and make that program big time.

What do you consider big time because it takes more than just hiring a good coach to become big time. The school also needs to make a big financial commitment for good assistants and training partners in the wrestling room. You also need a big financial commitment from boasters to build a quality and competitive wrestling club to really crack the top 3 to 5 programs.

You're right, big time might not be achievable.
But I heard they are going forward with new facilities and I think Pat would be able to get young guns to operate out of them. I don't know a thing about the university's commitment to the program. I also like Pat personally so I guess I'm pulling for him to be successful at my alma mater

bwh05 you seem to be the only one on here that is giving information that comes from a real source, so I trust what you have to say. You are giving me hope! Better than Kolat? To me he would be the best choice not named Cael. The guy is one of THE names in US wrestling. Kids wear Rudis shirts with his name on them. 2 time NCAA champ, Olympian, Western PA guy, head coaching experience, ACC experience, competitive fire, recruits internationally at Campbell... If it's better than that, then we have something to look forward to. I am at a loss to think of who could boost the program more than that, though.

Well he may turn out to be the best wrestling coach of all time, but as of now he's at Campbell and he hasn't had a lot of success. I know Campbell has a lot of limitations, but he wasn't really interested anyways so it's a moot point.

We're after coaches more established than Kolat. Maybe that's a better way to put it.

And I should add I'm not trying to denigrate anything he's done as a coach, and he's one of the GOAT on the mat obviously.

Terry Brands, Pat Santoro, Chris Bono would be great.

I think the interviews were pushed back until next week so Lyke should be back by then.

To me this hire is a chance for Lyke to hit a home run and get off to a very good start ..... she will have to get men's and women's basketball straightened out and continue to strengthen football...... Lyke will be busy and we should get an idea in relatively short order what kind of AD she is likely to be..... I'm rooting for her !

I'm pretty sure Pat wants the job. I think he's ready for it too. I think Lehigh is trying to come up with a package to ensure he stays, but he wants the bigger resources at Pitt. I believe he'll get better recruits to Pitt and make that program big time. The guy is intensely driven to succeed. We have to pay him and follow through on facility upgrades

Do you think if given the resources, he could get us to compete effectively with UPS?

Well he may turn out to be the best wrestling coach of all time, but as of now he's at Campbell and he hasn't had a lot of success. I know Campbell has a lot of limitations, but he wasn't really interested anyways so it's a moot point.

We're after coaches more established than Kolat. Maybe that's a better way to put it.

I wonder why he is not interested.

Pat Santoro would be a great hire. If given the resources, I think Pitt would be able to compete at the national level. However, as long as Sanderson is at PSU, they will be very difficult to compete with. But a top 10 or 15 program is very attainable!

Reactions: bwh05 and Piranha
Do you think if given the resources, he could get us to compete effectively with UPS?

Santoro had Lehigh ranked #11 during the past season and they ended up 12th at the Nationals ..... Lehigh does have a long history of a good wrestling program but if Pitt and it's fans ante up and give Pat the resources, I think he could make us a top 10 team ..... but unlikely a UPS caliber program as that is another level altogether.

Reactions: bwh05
Pitt with a good coach should have no problem getting into the top 10 with an occasionally run at the top 5 with a few AAs and a NC. It takes another level of commitment and resources to consistently be in the top 4 or 5.

Reactions: mike412
I would love for Pitt to go whole hog on this and shoot for absolute top. It is a better chance for a NC than any other sport now.

Reactions: bwh05
With comments like that in the press, I think this is a done deal. How would Heather Lyke look if she doesn't hire him now? That would tell the world that Pitt wouldn't put resources into the wrestling team. Santoro has to know this is a done deal, or else he wouldn't say anything at all.

I also hear that one of his big issues is being able to pay a certain top assistant.

Reactions: cabe23
With comments like that in the press, I think this is a done deal. How would Heather Lyke look if she doesn't hire him now? That would tell the world that Pitt wouldn't put resources into the wrestling team. Santoro has to know this is a done deal, or else he wouldn't say anything at all.

I also hear that one of his big issues is being able to pay a certain top assistant.

We'll see how serious Pitt is about wrestling ...... I hope we don't "nickel and dime" Pat.

Reactions: Pitt_97
I think Pitt wrestling fans will be happy by end of the week. Hail to Pitt! Fingers crossed...

Reactions: cabe23
We'll see how serious Pitt is about wrestling ...... I hope we don't "nickel and dime" Pat.
Yes you are right. This has everything a Pitt fan wants. A Pitt man who is one of the top in his profession wanting to return to Pitt. If this does not get done because Pitt shorts the money to improve facilities and commit to competing this looks really bad.

If they do hire Pat Santoro I am curious what commitments to facility upgrades also are made. They also need to upgrade the club and work on becoming a RTC to really climb to the upper level of collegiate ranks.

He told his team, not the "world." It leaked to the world. He's an upfront guy and wouldn't sneak around behind his teams back, especially with rumors swirling. I'm absolutely sure he means what he says. He cares about Pitt, whether he takes the job or not, and if Pitt doesn't make the necessary commitment to be a top program, why would he want condone or be part of it (especially having to give up a comfortable position in Bethlehem).

He also has specific things in mind in regards to what Pitt could do with facilities.

Does anyone know who else is being interviewed?
Thanks.

I am hoping it is Pat Santoro....but...a friend of mine who has connections in the Edinboro athletic Dept told me that Pitt made Tim Flynn an offer "that was too good to turn down"...so I am not too sure what to think at this point...

nothing is final at this point.
Is the Edinboro coach in the mix? Is he below Santoroas a coach? About the same? Better? I don't follow wrestling closely, but I am a Pitt alum and want us the get the best coach that we can. Thanks.

Is the Edinboro coach in the mix? Is he below Santoroas a coach? About the same? Better? I don't follow wrestling closely, but I am a Pitt alum and want us the get the best coach that we can. Thanks.

I have the same questions. Don't really follow wrestling, but may start. There was a post on the football premium that got me interested. Would Tim Flynn be considered "on the cheap"?

Tim Flynn is outstanding. He coached Edinboro to a third place finish at Nationals a couple of years ago. Top three nationally at a school that is Division II in everything else! He has a fraction of the resources that the other top coaches in the country have. I just never figured that he was in play because he has THE wrestling AD up there - Bruce Baumgartner.

I have the same questions. Don't really follow wrestling, but may start. There was a post on the football premium that got me interested. Would Tim Flynn be considered "on the cheap"?
Flynn, is an excellent coach and with the right resources would be a very good hire. IMO Flynn, Hahn, Santoro, and Cunningham(though not sure he would leave Cael) would be very solid at this point.

No. His track record as a HC coach is outstanding. Flynn was Baumgardner's protege and just the fact that Bruce made him his predecessor speaks volumes. The commitment to facilities, assistants(soimportant), and wrestling club would attract a guy like Flynn. I'm a big Casey Cunningham fan. While Cael is the draw, Cunningham gets rave reviews from everyone associated with that program. As I mentioned in an early post, getting him to leave PSU might be tough, but the lure of a HC opportunity might do it. Pitt can make a great hire, and bring wrestling back...we need a good blue print and the four I mentioned above have the credibility to make big things happen at Pitt. We deserve to be a national power, let's hope Lyke has that goal in mind.

Last edited:
Reactions: steelton
No. His track record as a HC coach is outstanding. Flynn was Baumgardner's protege and just the fact that Bruce made him his predecessor speaks volumes. The commitment to facilities, assistants(soimportant), and wrestling club would attract a guy like Flynn. I'm a big Casey Cunningham . While Cael is the draw, Cunningham gets rave reviews from everyone associated with that program. As I mentioned in an early post, getting him to leave PSU might be tough, but the lure of a HC opportunity might do it. Pitt can make a great hire, and bring wrestling back...we need a good blue print and the four I mentioned above have the credibility to make big things happen at Pitt. We deserve to be a national power, let's hope Lyke has that goal in mind.
Boosters that financially support the program deserve to have a national power. $ Talks and BS Walks

Reactions: pafootballguy
Out of curiosity, how many people attend wrestling meets typically at Pitt? Does anyone know what revenue from the sport is generated? And do we have any wealthy alumni willing to "sponsor" the program?

No. His track record as a HC coach is outstanding. Flynn was Baumgardner's protege and just the fact that Bruce made him his predecessor speaks volumes. The commitment to facilities, assistants(soimportant), and wrestling club would attract a guy like Flynn. I'm a big Casey Cunningham . While Cael is the draw, Cunningham gets rave reviews from everyone associated with that program. As I mentioned in an early post, getting him to leave PSU might be tough, but the lure of a HC opportunity might do it. Pitt can make a great hire, and bring wrestling back...we need a good blue print and the four I mentioned above have the credibility to make big things happen at Pitt. We deserve to be a national power, let's hope Lyke has that goal in mind.
Is Cunningham in the mix?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT