ADVERTISEMENT

Colorado to Big XII just got more real

I am not trying to be a hater- hope those Big 12 teams have fun. But I see no appeal in Pitt playing there. Obviously we share a storied history with WVU and we have proximity and some history with Cincy. But the entire remainder of the conference is so far away from us, and we don't share much culturally. It is just gonna be sad. At least with the ACC we share history with about 5 teams. That new Big 12 is just the late stage Big East all over again. A "power" conference without any teams that matter nationally.

There is going to be no teams that matter nationally in any conference but the BIG and SEC. I'd rather be in the next most relevant conference which if AZ, ASU and Utah go to the Big XII, which is likely, will be that conference. The ACC of today is not going to be around in a few years. Unless we hang out with BC, WF, and Cuse.

Absolutely would be disappointing, but I think at the end of the day, we aren't going to have even close to todays ACC in existence.

And even if VT, NC State, Miami are left, they will go to the Big XII IMO instead of staying with what remains of the ACC (I fully think FSU, Clemson, UNC, UVA, and most likely Miami ahve landing spots).
I wouldn’t count Miami in. They are a struggling brand and don’t bring anything to the SEC. The state is already heavily recruited and while it is a big area, the locals care more about futbul Messi than football.

What's the ACC w/o FSU, Clemson, Miami, UNC and UVA (and possibly VT and NC State).
If I'm the ACC, I'm half tempted to try to poach a couple of Big 12 teams while FSU, UNC, Clemson, etc. are all still in the conference. With a new deal in place it's probably not realistic, but the dominoes are starting to fall. At the very least, the ACC would have enough depth that it'd survive and Pitt wouldn't get stuck playing in middle America.

If I'm the ACC, I'm half tempted to try to poach a couple of Big 12 teams while FSU, UNC, Clemson, etc. are all still in the conference. With a new deal in place it's probably not realistic, but the dominoes are starting to fall. At the very least, the ACC would have enough depth that it'd survive and Pitt wouldn't get stuck playing in middle America.
I think it’s too late to do that. When Texas and ou left in 2021 that would have been the time. Now the big xii is growing while everyone knows the acc top schools want out.

I wouldn’t count Miami in. They are a struggling brand and don’t bring anything to the SEC. The state is already heavily recruited and while it is a big area, the locals care more about futbul Messi than football.
Miami would def want the B1G. It shares little culturally with the SEC as you say… neither conference really … but has enormous undeserved arrogance akin to PSU. Neither have won anything in about 40 years and basically should have been put on NCAA Death Penalty multiple times, but still think their crap is lilacs.

I think it’s too late to do that. When Texas and ou left in 2021 that would have been the time. Now the big xii is growing while everyone knows the acc top schools want out.
It probably is and maybe the schools feel good with the potential stability of the conference. However, would teams like UCF or WVU be enticed by the footprint and potential rivalry games, especially if the ACC teams find there is no escape from paying the massive exit fees.

At that time, I said the ACC should add OK St and TT. I also said the P12 should add B12 teams. They publicly looked into it but said they dont bring enough value. Both leagues should have listened to me. Free advice. Now both may go out of business

Absolutely would be disappointing, but I think at the end of the day, we aren't going to have even close to todays ACC in existence.

And even if VT, NC State, Miami are left, they will go to the Big XII IMO instead of staying with what remains of the ACC (I fully think FSU, Clemson, UNC, UVA, and most likely Miami ahve landing spots).
If you have a core of VT, NC State, Miami, and Pitt...you already have a better conference than the B12. I'm not sure why the B12 is more attractive in that hypothetical. A lot to play out and change. Too many unknowns.

Last edited:
Reactions: 303vND
HA! You guys crack me up with your "the B12 is trash" ; "the B12 is just a glorified MWC". By the end of this year, Pitt will consider themselves lucky to be a part of that conference.

The only glorified MWC is going to be the ACC. And isn't that a kick in the balls... A mere 12 months ago, this board laughed hysterically at the premise of the B12 stealing P12 teams and having a resurgence. Those posts sure didn't age well.

Reactions: Las Panteras
HA! You guys crack me up with your "the B12 is trash" ; "the B12 is just a glorified MWC". By the end of this year, Pitt will consider themselves lucky to be a part of that conference.

The only glorified MWC is going to be the ACC. And isn't that a kick in the balls... A mere 12 months ago, this board laughed hysterically at the premise of the B12 stealing P12 teams and having a resurgence. Those posts sure didn't age well.
I know you’re a worthless troll but I actually do want to join the Big 12 at this point. ACC’s an inevitable sinking ship and I don’t want to end up in a glorified sun belt. Pitt fans here can make up nonsense about Wake Forest and Boston College being more valuable than K State or OK St but for Pitt to survive we need to make a move asap.

My honest dream at this point is the Big 12 gets Pitt, VT, Miami, and Louisville to make a Big East reunión with Cincy and WVU.

No one has really presented much of a compelling argument for why FSU can feasibly leave. Oklahoma and Texas had 3 years left on their grant of rights. They tried to leave. The Big 12 forced them to stay for 2 years and pay them 100 million dollars to get out of the last year of the GOR. Florida State better have some money saved in a rainy day fund...

OU and Texas just did a risk-reward calculation and decided it wasn’t worth it to fight this out in court.

FSU has done a risk-reward calculation and decided it isn’t worth it to not fight it out in court.

There’s a lot of smoke that Miami is one of the teams the Big 10 wants.

Reactions: ThePanthers

I’m strictly in favor of regional conferences and playing rivals. Fans from other teams that have zero rivals in their new conferences and are irrelevant in the standings but pound their chest for that conference are taking quite a stance. Pitt should be in a conference with WVU and the ACC should be that conference.

Reactions: ThePanthers
OU and Texas just did a risk-reward calculation and decided it wasn’t worth it to fight this out in court.

FSU has done a risk-reward calculation and decided it isn’t worth it to not fight it out in court.
That's all well and good, but the issue is whether it will actually work

Why doesn’t the BIG want Colorado? 17th media market. Dione? Decent academics. In retrospect, seems like an odd decision.

Word has come out on the media contract deals. $20M was not specifically mentioned, but that sounds about what it was. The deal was entirely Apple TV and “not good enough for teams with options”. However, the deal could surpass the Big 12 with escalator deals that are “extremely difficult” to hit based on subscribers to the service. They’re saying a decision will likely not be made today, but it’s looking like Arizona could/will be next to leave.

Edit: also, props to the guys like Mvher and Swaim. They hit it right on the head with this one.
Update on this: not only was the $20M figure pretty much confirmed by Brett McMurphy (“low 20s”), but Apple is telling the Pac-12 that the deal expires at the end of the week. Incredible.

If the conference actually dissolves, I wonder what becomes of the Comcast debt? Would that be taken on by the exiting and/or existing members, or would the conference just file for bankruptcy? Pretty wild.

There would be so much exit fee money, it would be better if Oregon State and Washington State keep it alive and invite a bunch of Mountain West schools. That would be more lucrative for everyone than the MWC inviting Or St and WSU

Reactions: HailToPitt725
There would be so much exit fee money, it would be better if Oregon State and Washington State keep it alive and invite a bunch of Mountain West schools. That would be more lucrative for everyone than the MWC inviting Or St and WSU
According to ESPN no school will have to pay and exit fee because all are leaving after the current TV deal expires.

Agreed from a branding/OSU and WSU perspective, but I think what will hold that up is the MWC’s exit fees. Would the Pac-2 be willing to give up some of the cash they receive from the outgoing members to help San Diego State, Colorado State, etc. join?

I know you’re a worthless troll but I actually do want to join the Big 12 at this point. ACC’s an inevitable sinking ship and I don’t want to end up in a glorified sun belt. Pitt fans here can make up nonsense about Wake Forest and Boston College being more valuable than K State or OK St but for Pitt to survive we need to make a move asap.

My honest dream at this point is the Big 12 gets Pitt, VT, Miami, and Louisville to make a Big East reunión with Cincy and WVU.
Well BC is more valuable simply because it is located in media market #9. Absolutely would rather have BC regularly on the schedule than KSU or Okie State. Either would be fine to play in a one off series now or then, but BC is a more traditional, more regional opponent and a much better academic institution to be associated with. Double so for Syracuse and VT.

Last edited:

It really should be a layup.

The Big 12 is clearly going to be the 3rd conference.

Given what is coming down the tracks, Pitt should be trying to get into the Big 12 and align themselves with as many "football schools" as possible.

It really should be a layup.

The Big 12 is clearly going to be the 3rd conference.

Given what is coming down the tracks, Pitt should be trying to get into the Big 12 and align themselves with as many "football schools" as possible.
Pitt can't get out of the ACC or into anything at this point. The point is moot.

The B12 will not determine who the third best conference is. ESPN will.

There is absolutely nothing currently attractive about the B12 to Pitt or any other ACC member.

Pitt can't get out of the ACC or into anything at this point. The point is moot.

The B12 will not determine who the third best conference is. ESPN will.

There is absolutely nothing currently attractive about the B12 to Pitt or any other ACC member.
And the same can be said for the B12. There is not a single B12 team that would jump to the sinking ship ACC....I'm not even sure you guys could get UCONN to join as the Big East is far more stable for them than the ACC at. this point.

You might as well get used to the fact that the B12 is going to be the 3rd conference and ESPN / FOX have already ordained it when they failed to throw a life line to the P12. I figure the B12 will take Pitt, VT, Louisville at some point, but don't kid yourself thinking they will do so jumping up & down with excitement. The B12 view of you guys is about the same as what you seem to think of the B12. YAWN.....

I figure the B12 will take Pitt, VT, Louisville at some point, but don't kid yourself thinking they will do so jumping up & down with excitement. The B12 view of you guys is about the same as what you seem to think of the B12. YAWN.....
That might be the old gold and blue in you speaking. Out here in Kansas City (i.e., Big 12 country), I’ve had many KU, K-State, and Iowa State alums discuss how Pitt would be their personal choice if the ACC fell apart. There were also several OK State fans I encountered during our home/home series say they wish we went to the Big 12 instead of the ACC back in 2010. They love college football and appreciate what we would bring to the table, including making the Brawl a Thanksgiving/Big 12 conference game.

Edit: this is why I feel content with where we’re at in the changing landscape of collegiate athletics. We’re in the third best conference and we’ll end up in the third best conference when it’s all said and done. I can live with that.

That might be the old gold and blue in you speaking. Out here in Kansas City (i.e., Big 12 country), I’ve had many KU, K-State, and Iowa State alums discuss how Pitt would be their personal choice if the ACC fell apart. There were also several OK State fans I encountered during our home/home series say they wish we went to the Big 12 instead of the ACC back in 2010. They love college football and appreciate what we would bring to the table, including making the Brawl a Thanksgiving/Big 12 conference game.

Edit: this is why I feel content with where we’re at in the changing landscape of collegiate athletics. We’re in the third best conference and we’ll end up in the third best conference when it’s all said and done. I can live with that.
By the way, that very point is why it is so ludicrous to hear some on here refer to the B12 like it is equivalent to the MWC. Frankly, the B12 fans as a whole are much more sports oriented and engaged with their programs than the ACC schools. You guys can keep the tobacco road cheese dicks. No way does Wake, UVA, Duke, stack up against K State, Iowa State, TCU's of the B12.

So, I repeat, some of you guys better pray that is where you end-up. It's a very good football conference and with Arizona likely joining in basketball, it will continue to be the dominant bball conference as well.

Big12 is talking to UConn so probably not.
Never say never, but I don't see that happening. The university presidents already voted no to that motion about two week ago. But, Yormark does want them and thinks he has a plan to monetize basketball in a much bigger way (which he may be able to do).

With that said, the only way UCONN comes on board is if for some reason, a few of the P12 schools don't make the jump. Then I suppose Yormark might get the schools to give it one last consideration.

Pitt is thought really highly of outside of Western PA which is one reason the ACC took us over WVU, Rut, Lou, Cin, UConn, etc. People see HOF'ers, tradition, uniform colors that pop (even if that's a stupid reason), elite academics.

Using different metrices, Pitt would be the most historically significant program in the B12.

By the way, that very point is why it is so ludicrous to hear some on here refer to the B12 like it is equivalent to the MWC. Frankly, the B12 fans as a whole are much more sports oriented and engaged with their programs than the ACC schools. You guys can keep the tobacco road cheese dicks. No way does Wake, UVA, Duke, stack up against K State, Iowa State, TCU's of the B12.

So, I repeat, some of you guys better pray that is where you end-up. It's a very good football conference and with Arizona likely joining in basketball, it will continue to be the dominant bball conference as well.
We would’ve been ahead of the game if us and Louisville joined the Big 12 in the previous round of realignment. Once OU/UT left, the conference would’ve been a few steps ahead and could’ve landed the “four corner” schools without adding Cincinnati and Houston. I think BYU and UCF add enough value that they might’ve gotten in either way.

Reactions: Manster
Pitt is thought really highly of outside of Western PA which is one reason the ACC took us over WVU, Rut, Lou, Cin, UConn, etc. People see HOF'ers, tradition, uniform colors that pop (even if that's a stupid reason), elite academics.

Using different metrices, Pitt would be the most historically significant program in the B12.
That’s pretty much the argument this journalist from The Oklahoman used in 2017 when he wrote an op-ed wishing we joined the Big 12. We have a good brand and are respected nationally. I’ve seen it firsthand living in other states across the country. We’ll be OK.

We would’ve been ahead of the game if us and Louisville joined the Big 12 in the previous round of realignment. Once OU/UT left, the conference would’ve been a few steps ahead and could’ve landed the “four corner” schools without adding Cincinnati and Houston. I think BYU and UCF add enough value that they might’ve gotten in either way.

We are bound by the same GOR and exit fees as every other ACC school. Even if we wanted to jump to the BIg XII, which at the time looked like it was on it's death bed (Pac 12 could have ironically killed it), we DEFINITELY don't have the pockets to leave.

We are bound by the same GOR and exit fees as every other ACC school. Even if we wanted to jump to the BIg XII, which at the time looked like it was on it's death bed (Pac 12 could have ironically killed it), we DEFINITELY don't have the pockets to leave.
No need to jump to the Big12 - in seven years when their current TV deal expires they'll be teams begging to join the ACC. Who are the anchor schools in the Big 12 in football?

No need to jump to the Big12 - in seven years when their current TV deal expires they'll be teams begging to join the ACC. Who are the anchor schools in the Big 12 in football?

If the Big XII gets AZ, ASU and Utah, then I don't agree with that.

I don't think we'll have "anchor schools" in the ACC in a few years either to entice anyone to jump.

But like everything, only time will tell.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT