ADVERTISEMENT

Colorado to Big XII just got more real

Pretty much agreed. I said $0 but replacing IU @ OSU with FSU @ OSU does bring in a small amount of revenue. Plus BTN in FLA as I already said.

And if FSU isnt successful in getting back their home games, I would suspect they are NOT entitled to a share of the ACC TV money as a non-member. Otherwise, there really is no risk for them. If they did get their share of ACC TV money while in the B10, the GOR would have been basically a nothing burger.
Agreed and make sense. I can see that being the lawsuit and I could see the courts ruling in their favor that the acc can’t keep rights and money. But that could be huge risk

Agreed and make sense. I can see that being the lawsuit and I could see the courts ruling in their favor that the acc can’t keep rights and money. But that could be huge risk

There is so much risk for both sides, that its a pretty safe bet that it would be settled. But for quite a lot of money. But if you are FSU and the B10 offers tomorrow and the ACC says they'll settle for $300 million, I would think you'd take that in a heartbeat.

If it did go to court, my guess is that the ACC would win. A contract is a contract so FSU's defense would have to be something like the contract was illegal or they were deceived into signing.

What effect would there be in letting FSU, Clemson, UNC, and UVA leave the conference actually have on conference revenue? The ACC would still have a contract in place with ESPN.

Yes. FSU is saying they want to leave under ANY condition. With their home games, without their home games. With TV revenue, without TV revenue. They want out. But so do ALL the ACC, B12, and P12 schools. The question is does the Big Ten take them? And does the SEC allow the B10 in their market? Because FSU would prefer SEC.

Yes. FSU is saying they want to leave under ANY condition. With their home games, without their home games. With TV revenue, without TV revenue. They want out. But so do ALL the ACC, B12, and P12 schools. The question is does the Big Ten take them? And does the SEC allow the B10 in their market? Because FSU would prefer SEC.
FSU wants to be in BIG

Their value wouldn’t be 0. It would be low but say FSU or Clemson at OSU or USC or PSU would add value to the big ten. Not much but some. The deal is for HOME games

Would the ACC have to pay FSU their share in that case. If so it might be worth it. I can see the BIG saying to FSU if they join you get your acc money we give you a couple million like a few (which I’m sure courts happen) until the GOR is over than you get the full share. The money would be there. The carriage rate increase in FSU (which isn’t tied to broadcasting home games) would allow teams to increase revenue and pay FSU
That's a wild scenario but I suppose it's plausible.

FSU is the biggest crybaby in college athletics. They wanted out of the ACC during the last major conference alignment (2011) They need more money to compete…. WAAAAH!

They can’t even win the ACC with the money they have! Pitt has more ACC championships then those goofs and have less money…I’m tired of listening to their bellyaching…

FSU is the biggest crybaby in college athletics. They wanted out of the ACC during the last major conference alignment (2011) They need more money to compete…. WAAAAH!

They can’t even win the ACC with the money they have! Pitt has more ACC championships then those goofs and have less money…I’m tired of listening to their bellyaching…

If they could just make as much as Alabama, they could win NC's. That's all it takes.

Could you elaborate on Pitt having mire ACC champions that Florida St?

Reactions: cashisking884
No, they wouldn't, FSU wants to be associated with the Big Ten for academics.

No. There might be a few message board guys saying that but if both offered, they absolutely are not signing up for long flights to Rutgers, NW, Minnesota, Iowa, etc. The Big Ten has a lot of crap. The SEC has far less crap and that crap is drivable and busable. The SEC is a way of life in the south. They would join up if given the choice.

Yes but if the money is similar and you believe can win in either then they are going to choose the BIG.

Why would they choose the Big Ten if both offer? And you cant say academics? FSU whines like a baby about attendance and ACC fans not coming to Tallahassee. Ya think Rutgers, Indiana, Illinois, Md, UCLA, Min, NW, Purdue, MSU fans are going? In FSU's neck of the woods, the SEC is EVERYTHING. And if we are being honest, the B10 basically sucks outside of Mich and OSU.

Why would they choose the Big Ten if both offer? And you cant say academics? FSU whines like a baby about attendance and ACC fans not coming to Tallahassee. Ya think Rutgers, Indiana, Illinois, Md, UCLA, Min, NW, Purdue, MSU fans are going? In FSU's neck of the woods, the SEC is EVERYTHING. And if we are being honest, the B10 basically sucks outside of Mich and OSU.
FSU is lowering the attendance of the stadium with the new renovation by 10,000.

They believe they will be a leader in the Big Ten and just not following Florida.

FSU is lowering the attendance of the stadium with the new renovation by 10,000.

They believe they will be a leader in the Big Ten and just not following Florida.

So we agree its not academics, then? They are going for the easier schedule? Ya think SEC teams might use the weaker league/northern travel against them. They may very well end up in the B10 but that would be because the SEC doesn't offer and they may not.

FSU president at their board meeting just stated that they would have to seriously consider leaving the ACC unless something radically changed with the media revenue. [emphasis his]

Other board member saying college football has outpaced the ability of the ACC to compete.

They gone.

Enjoy Pitt playing in a power conference while you can. It likely won't be for long.

Last edited:
If you are choosing between the BIG and SEC and academics are a factor then the choice is easy.

FSU wants to be in the SEC. They have a better chance of landing in the BIG, but they want to be in the SEC. Just like Pitt would rather be in the BIG than the SEC. Let's not be silly. Geography and "fit" mean a lot.

FSU wants to be in the SEC. They have a better chance of landing in the BIG, but they want to be in the SEC. Just like Pitt would rather be in the BIG than the SEC. Let's not be silly. Geography and "fit" mean a lot.
I’d rather travel to Florida and Georgia in November than Minnesota and Wisconsin.

I’d rather travel to Florida and Georgia in November than Minnesota and Wisconsin.

If Hell indeed froze over and Pitt was given the option of choosing with conference it wanted to join...

With all due respect, I don't Pitt2006's travel itinerary preferences would be a factor in the decision, ha.

Looks like they will be heading to the Big XII.

Like I said, the Big XII will be the conference that hopefully Pitt can be in in the future.

Funny how that happened. Truly a conference of leftovers, having lost 6 of 12 teams but they have embraced the "nobody wants us, you are safe here" mentality.

Like I said, the Big XII will be the conference that hopefully Pitt can be in in the future.
I wouldn’t be a huge fan of it, but it sure seems like we’re headed that way. If the end-game is three 20-team conferences and the Big 12 gets to 16 with the “four corner” schools, we’re likely one of the best available schools after the Big Ten and SEC picks their new members from the ACC.

I am not trying to be a hater- hope those Big 12 teams have fun. But I see no appeal in Pitt playing there. Obviously we share a storied history with WVU and we have proximity and some history with Cincy. But the entire remainder of the conference is so far away from us, and we don't share much culturally. It is just gonna be sad. At least with the ACC we share history with about 5 teams. That new Big 12 is just the late stage Big East all over again. A "power" conference without any teams that matter nationally.

No one has really presented much of a compelling argument for why FSU can feasibly leave. Oklahoma and Texas had 3 years left on their grant of rights. They tried to leave. The Big 12 forced them to stay for 2 years and pay them 100 million dollars to get out of the last year of the GOR. Florida State better have some money saved in a rainy day fund...

I am not trying to be a hater- hope those Big 12 teams have fun. But I see no appeal in Pitt playing there. Obviously we share a storied history with WVU and we have proximity and some history with Cincy. But the entire remainder of the conference is so far away from us, and we don't share much culturally. It is just gonna be sad. At least with the ACC we share history with about 5 teams. That new Big 12 is just the late stage Big East all over again. A "power" conference without any teams that matter nationally.
It’s a mwc/aac conference at best

No one has really presented much of a compelling argument for why FSU can feasibly leave. Oklahoma and Texas had 3 years left on their grant of rights. They tried to leave. The Big 12 forced them to stay for 2 years and pay them 100 million dollars to get out of the last year of the GOR. Florida State better have some money saved in a rainy day fund...

Because they are willing to pay whatever it takes. If Pitt can spend $300 million on a volleyball arena, why cant FSU spend $500 million to join a P2?

Reactions: HailToPitt725
I hope not. That would be really disappointing coming from the ACC.

Absolutely would be disappointing, but I think at the end of the day, we aren't going to have even close to todays ACC in existence.

And even if VT, NC State, Miami are left, they will go to the Big XII IMO instead of staying with what remains of the ACC (I fully think FSU, Clemson, UNC, UVA, and most likely Miami ahve landing spots).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT