ADVERTISEMENT

Court storming should be punished

Yeah, I think this injury could be what finally ends it. It’s always been just a matter of time before something bad happened.

Nah that's just dumb. Accidents happen. There was nothing malicious. Let them celebrate.

Sure, that guy ran a red light, but come on, accidents happen. It was nothing malicious.

Can't people celebrate without running out on to the court? Because oddly enough, I've seen Pitt fans celebrate (or maybe I should say seem to celebrate?) a lot of really big wins over the years, and they didn't have to run out on to the court to do it.

I'm thinking red lights get run 100 million times more than a celebration on a court and possible injuries are probably 10 million times probable and way more serious than bumping into people on a court. Honestly, I'm not a big run on court either but I HATE knee jerk reactions.

Reactions: cease10
Yeah, I think this injury could be what finally ends it. It’s always been just a matter of time before something bad happened.
There was no injury. She had her breath knocked out.

"Now, obviously, I can see they’re storming the court which is totally fine and I mean, good for their students," Clark said, via the Dayton Daily News.

"Great win for them and I was just trying to exit the court as quickly as possible so I started running and I was absolutely just hammered by somebody trying to run onto the court and basically blindsided… kind of scary. Could have caused a serious injury to me and knocked the wind out of me. But luckily, my teammates kind of picked me up and got me off the court."

"Now, obviously, I can see they’re storming the court which is totally fine and I mean, good for their students," Clark said, via the Dayton Daily News.

"Great win for them and I was just trying to exit the court as quickly as possible so I started running and I was absolutely just hammered by somebody trying to run onto the court and basically blindsided… kind of scary. Could have caused a serious injury to me and knocked the wind out of me. But luckily, my teammates kind of picked me up and got me off the court."
Glad she’s ok but it’s time to end that. I worry more about men’s games when a fight could break out when emotions are so raw.

Who cares ... other than you?

The SEC fines schools $100,000 for the first time their fans storm either the football field or the basketball court, $250,000 for a second offense, and $500,000 for a third offense. That is a large increase over what schools used to get fined, but they have been getting fined for years in the SEC. Arkansas got a $100,000 fine earlier this season after they beat Duke.

So obviously someone cares.

Glad she’s ok but it’s time to end that. I worry more about men’s games when a fight could break out when emotions are so raw.

I think some people forget that a Pitt player almost got into a fight with a Syracuse student when they (prematurely, as it turned out) stormed the court against us.

Reactions: PittMan2003
The SEC fines schools $100,000 for the first time their fans storm either the football field or the basketball court, $250,000 for a second offense, and $500,000 for a third offense. That is a large increase over what schools used to get fined, but they have been getting fined for years in the SEC. Arkansas got a $100,000 fine earlier this season after they beat Duke.

So obviously someone cares.
People are always looking to remove fun and emotion from sports.

People are always looking to remove fun and emotion from sports.

Again I ask, is it not possible to have fun and celebrate a big win without going onto the court/field? Because it sure seems like Pitt fans celebrated a lot of really good wins over the years without one fan stepping even one foot onto the court.

Again I ask, is it not possible to have fun and celebrate a big win without going onto the court/field? Because it sure seems like Pitt fans celebrated a lot of really good wins over the years without one fan stepping even one foot onto the court.
Sure it is. But your limited view obviously doesn't match that of college kids.

The refs stopped the game *I think Kansas WVU* with one second left so the team could get off the court safely before a court storming. That should be the precaution set in place if these continue
This is a great idea. Hadn’t heard it but it makes the most sense and I don’t see why that’s not done everywhere.

Can you imagine if Clark (literally the only reason to ever watch a women’s bball game) got hurt for real yesterday? That would be tragic for their sport. And it’s totally avoidable.

Reactions: jctrack

Did she have her breath knocked out? Was she "hammered" or "blindsided"?

Last edited:
I think it should be a carry over technical foul on the home team

Caitlin Clark ran over by some Ohio state clod
You meant Caitlin Clark totally flopping and running into the fan.

Looked like she even elbowed and pushed the fan. Then spins around like a damn ballerina while falling to the floor. 🤣😂

Last edited:
You meant Caitlin Clark totally flopping and running into the fan.

Looked like she even elbowed and pushed the fan. Them spins around like a damn ballerina while falling to the floor. 🤣😂
To be fair, it looks worse in real time and so mo distorts things, especially intention. We see this in targeting replays all the time. And we don't know where her eyes are focused.

She clear brought her hands up to protect herself and push the fan out of the way though. Still doesn't mean it wasn't a hard collision, but doesn't seem hard enough to knock someone's breath out from them. That angle could also be interpreted that she saw the fan and lined her up at the last minute in a half-second fit of frustration and ended up with the worst of it.

No matter, the fan shouldn't have been on the court.

Last edited:
To be fair, it looks worse in real time and so mo distorts things, especially intention. We see this in targeting replays all the time. And we don't know where her eyes are focused.

She clear brought her hands up to protect herself and push the fan out of the way though. Still doesn't mean it wasn't a hard collision, but doesn't seem hard enough to knock someone's breath out from them. That angle could also be interpreted that she saw the fan and lined her up at the last minute in a half-second fit of frustration and ended up with the worst of it.

No matter, the fan shouldn't have been on the court.
The other angles:

I was a college kid
I never stormed the court
Should HS and JV storm too , because it’s so fun ?
How about elementary games ?

Fans don’t belong on the court -
It’s trespassing .

If it’s fun after a game - why not during a game ?

I was a college kid
I never stormed the court
Should HS and JV storm too , because it’s so fun ?
How about elementary games ?

Fans don’t belong on the court -
It’s trespassing .

If it’s fun after a game - why not during a game ?
You have never been fun nor likely had any.

We know you like restrictions on people. That's what progressives do.

I was a college student at one time, and my view is far, far more expansive than your average college student.

Which is why I would never do anything as dumb as storm a court. People with a limited view are the ones trying to make something all about them that they didn't have anything to do with. When college kids grow up and understand their place in the game they typically don't participate in something like that.

Reactions: FrogmoreZeke
I was a college student at one time, and my view is far, far more expansive than your average college student.

Which is why I would never do anything as dumb as storm a court. People with a limited view are the ones trying to make something all about them that they didn't have anything to do with. When college kids grow up and understand their place in the game they typically don't participate in something like that.
Yeah, I remember all of those famous photos of VE Day from WWII when it was just the soldiers and sailors in the streets of New York because all of the civilians who stayed home didn’t want to make it about themselves because they knew they had nothing to do with it.

Yeah, I remember all of those famous photos of VE Day from WWII when it was just the soldiers and sailors in the streets of New York because all of the civilians who stayed home didn’t want to make it about themselves because they knew they had nothing to do with it.

Well if you know anything about WW2 you'd know that even the people at home had to make a lot of sacrifices for the war effort.

But maybe you missed that day in history class?

My problem with court storming is that it is no longer organic. It is contrived. I mean when Robert Morris upset Kentucky in the NIT, yes. But there are so many "stormings" because say a Wisconsin upset Purdue. Really? I am proud to say Pitt hasn't......I mean when we knocked off #1 UConn...so what, we were just as good as they were, and we acted accordingly.

Good for you. Nor would I. But I choose not to limit those who choose to do so. I'm not as authoritarian, I guess, which why I lean libertarian.

Good for you. Nor would I. But I choose not to limit those who choose to do so. I'm not as authoritarian, I guess, which why I lean libertarian.

Libertarians believe in rights with responsibilities. There is no right to go somewhere that you are expressly forbidden from going. There is, however, a responsibility to allow people to do essentially their job without unnecessary interference.

Being a libertarian has nothing to do with thinking that it's OK to break the law.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT