ADVERTISEMENT

CPN:"We left a lot of offensive schemes out"

H2P333

Walk-on
Dec 29, 2016
I wish people would recall what happened last season. Very bland against Villanova and then crushed PSU with > 500 hundred yards in offense a week later. Yes we looked like crap for some of the time against YSU, but I can confirm that a game plan was NEVER installed for YSU. The coaches and staff expected this too be harder than many casual fans thought but we have essentially have gotten two weeks to prepare for PSU and are 1-0. Yes, there are things to be fixed but all in all let's truly revalate at this time next week. Guarantee you we will be singing a different tune. CPN thrives in big games against big named opponents in their homes. He will get us a W next week. PSU has the doubt from last years thrashing and will be going for a knockout when in essence we just have to not make mistakes; weather the early emotion and then knock them the F out. Barkley won't see 75 yards on the grind next week. Book it. Feel free to pin this or repost this. He will NOT break 75 yards on our defense rushing. Pitt wins 24-16

I wish people would recall what happened last season. Very bland against Villanova and then crushed PSU with > 500 hundred yards in offense a week later. Yes we looked like crap for some of the time against YSU, but I can confirm that a game plan was NEVER installed for YSU. The coaches and staff expected this too be harder than many casual fans thought but we have essentially have gotten two weeks to prepare for PSU and are 1-0. Yes, there are things to be fixed but all in all let's truly revalate at this time next week. Guarantee you we will be singing a different tune. CPN thrives in big games against big named opponents in their homes. He will get us a W next week. PSU has the doubt from last years thrashing and will be going for a knockout when in essence we just have to not make mistakes; weather the early emotion and then knock them the F out. Barkley won't see 75 yards on the grind next week. Book it. Feel free to pin this or repost this. He will NOT break 75 yards on our defense rushing. Pitt wins 24-16
I think we will play a lot better against PS and do remember the slow start against Nova last year. The problem is we had more established players on last year's team, and PS is firing on all cylinders. Unfortunately, I am thinking 45-21 the school who places football above protecting children ends up winning.

Bartender, I will have what this guy's having.

Stack the box and hope that we can somewhat contain Barkley. Their TE (Geiseki?) will be a very difficult match up. Just keep it within 20 pts and look better on offense and I'll consider it a step in the right direction next wk.

You can be bland and sandbag a little when you have a bunch of experienced seniors . That's not what was happening today. Its not like they just took their foot off the gas and then reapplied it at the end. YSU 's roughing the qb was huge . It would have been 3rd and long with 1 timeout left. Then in OT an interception off a terrible decision by YSU's qb. In other words , pitt was fortunate that ysu self destructed. The kicker was rattled just by playing his first game at home, what is he going to do next week when he won't even be able to hear himself think? If psu gets a couple of quick scores on pitt's D, they will just lay their ears back and come after Browne and things will get real ugly real fast for pitt.

Reactions: VJJPUNISHER

GET OFF THE WEED....Barkley will go for 300+ and PSU will win by 4 td's or more.....FACT!!!

Reactions: Toddy_Too_Hotty
Its not like they just took their foot off the gas and then reapplied it at the end.

Right, because when they took the foot off the gas today they never put it back on in the end. But they most certainly took their foot off the gas in the second half.

Hey, look, we just threw another pass to a running back going parallel to and two yards behind the line of scrimmage!

Reactions: Jeffburgh
Any staff that nearly loses against a big underdog because they're played "hide the wiener" hasn't done s very good job in a particular game. Very poor decision making today by the staff.

First your crazy. Pitt won't win next week and you can tag this thread. I expect we will player better and the game might even be really close. But we aren't winning that game with this team. They are better than last year or at least the same, we are worse and the games there instead of at home.

Second, I agree that there was no game plan for YSU. The fact that there wasn't and we nearly lost that game is a clue to PN that they need to start to prepare for these games or they will end up losing one sooner than later. Its highly unlikely Pitt is ever going to have the kind of talent where they can curb stomp any decent opponent consistently without playing hard and having a game plan. I guarantee you the players notice that there is no game plan and its not unreasonable that they don't go as hard because of it.

Reactions: therod
First your crazy. Pitt won't win next week and you can tag this thread. I expect we will player better and the game might even be really close. But we aren't winning that game with this team. They are better than last year or at least the same, we are worse and the games there instead of at home.

Second, I agree that there was no game plan for YSU. The fact that there wasn't and we nearly lost that game is a clue to PN that they need to start to prepare for these games or they will end up losing one sooner than later. Its highly unlikely Pitt is ever going to have the kind of talent where they can curb stomp any decent opponent consistently without playing hard and having a game plan. I guarantee you the players notice that there is no game plan and its not unreasonable that they don't go as hard because of it.
I could not agree more with your second point. It's ridiculous. I don't get it.

Reactions: therod
Game plan or not, Pitt's athletes alone should be enough to beat a team like YSU by 20+ points yet they didn't.

Stack the box and hope that we can somewhat contain Barkley. Their TE (Geiseki?) will be a very difficult match up. Just keep it within 20 pts and look better on offense and I'll consider it a step in the right direction next wk.
Yeah, lets remember too it's not the end of the world if we lose these next 2 games like many are anticipating. There's still a full slate of ACC play, growing pains with the newer guys, and help that will return from suspensions/injury.

It'll be frustrating since they're insufferable but credit PSU if they do win, they have a very solid team this year. And we were better last year.

Reactions: kma0043
It's like NFL preseason....even though the results can be deceiving, what your eyes see usually are not.

I was expecting to see Tom Savage and got Tino. Doesn't mean he won't get better -- but the Dream of having a one hit wonder that is a top QB took a major hit.

Reactions: PittPanthers90
Villanova's offense could do nothing last year. Pitt was never threatened. I was surprised how bad the offense looked but they never needed to open up the playbook b/c the game was never in doubt.

That's not the case when YSU is taking them to overtime today.

Reactions: PittPanthers90
Game plan or not, Pitt's athletes alone should be enough to beat a team like YSU by 20+ points yet they didn't.

I did not see a clear difference on many plays between our athletes and YSU's. That's part of the problem.

The first comment out of the coaches mouth is aggravating.
Duzz:"At halftime I told the guys that hey, this is too easy and to slow down a bit. I want a little adversity in the game. They listened to me, I guess."

WTF kind of comment is that? If he was joking, a close call against YSU is NOT fun or funny.

well in fairness they were up 21-0 and probably figured they could not open up the playbook. But the players decided the game was over as well. They got push on both sides of the line in the first half but in the second they got none. Did YSU play better or did Pitt players think it was over and turn it off.

well in fairness they were up 21-0 and probably figured they could not open up the playbook. But the players decided the game was over as well. They got push on both sides of the line in the first half but in the second they got none. Did YSU play better or did Pitt players think it was over and turn it off.
21-0 over swill like that at the half was not impressive , either. And anyone who saw that half knew it was not a dominant performance. YSU guys were running wide open in the first half and the QB merely missed them. It could have been tied at the half too.

The D stopped the run a tiny bit better in the first half. Started to let themselves get gouged up the gut inn the second. But got ZERO pressure on the QB ANYTIME in the game, and the LB were laughable throughout the game.

21-0 Is NEVER acceptable to think the game is over ANYTIME at college football. Especially not for us. We who scored 76 last year and didn't cover the spread. Hideous thinking on the team and coaches if they were cocky after that first half. Shit, they deserved to lose then.

IMHO, it was mostly the latter. The players (and maybe the coaches too) felt at the half that they could mail it in and win 42-0 with less effort applied to continuing to play plain vanilla.

Last edited:
lol at "We left some offensive schemes out."
Fair enough, but that doesn't explain the defense getting out-athleticized vs an FCS team.

Reactions: paulbl99
That's hilarious
He will have that in the Ist qtr.

Any staff that nearly loses against a big underdog because they're played "hide the wiener" hasn't done s very good job in a particular game. Very poor decision making today by the staff.
If they'd lost today it would have to rank up there as one of the worst.Worse than Ohio U,Bowling Green and the Houston bowl game debacle.One of these days we'll get burned again by using a vanilla game plan going into an opener against an inferior opponent.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT