ADVERTISEMENT

Curious about tickets if Pitt goes NIT with home games......

pitt-girl

Board of Trustee
Gold Member
Mar 16, 2004
Can't remember how CBI worked and wonder if they follow the same model?

CBI didn't really matter ...

.... I don't recall if all seats were actually general admission or not, but they might as well have been.

I went to NIT games at the Fitz in 2001 and 1997 and we had to pick up tickets before the game and there were assigned seats. I don't know how they were assigned.

I refuse to answer your question until Pitt is eliminated from ncaa consideration.

:)

Originally posted by UPitt '89:
I refuse to answer your question until Pitt is eliminated from ncaa consideration.

:)
No worries - that's why I said IF.
wink.r191677.gif

CBI tix were sold @ box office and after first game were GA. I'd imagine NIT tix would be offered to season holders first, but maybe not due to time/logistics constraints.

Originally posted by pitt-girl:
Can't remember how CBI worked and wonder if they follow the same model?
CBI was GA except for the courtside VIP seats. I think the GA seats were $10 and the VIP Courtside were $20.

If we play a non-name opponent (like if North Florida doesn't win the ASun Tournament and get the auto NIT bid) in the 1st Round, attendance will be CBI-like, maybe 1000, no more than 2000, so I can't imagine them doing anything but GA seating.

If we end up hosting somebody like UConn or Florida in the later rounds, I would think we can fill the lower bowl.

Re: CBI didn't really matter ...

Refresh my memory on who Pitt played in 1997. I thought the Panthers were sent to Arkansas in round one.

Thanks.

Re: CBI didn't really matter ...

Originally posted by LeftCoastPanther:
Refresh my memory on who Pitt played in 1997. I thought the Panthers were sent to Arkansas in round one.

Thanks.
I thought we did also.

1992, we won at Penn State and lost at home to Florida
1997, we lost at Arkansas
2001, we won at home vs St. Bonaventure, and lost at home to Mississippi State

With the NCAAT in town at virtually the same tine, I wouldn't bet we get a home game the first weekend.

I may be wrong but my perception is the NCAAT games at the Consol are not selling particularly well. There has been advertising for ticket sales and seems to be zero buzz this year. Past sessions were sold out at least in the Civic Arena.

The NCAA owns the NIT now and while the games are not directly head to head, I wonder if they would set up a situation where local fans would basically have to decide which game to pay for.

Originally posted by Harve74:
With the NCAAT in town at virtually the same tine, I wouldn't bet we get a home game the first weekend.

I may be wrong but my perception is the NCAAT games at the Consol are not selling particularly well. There has been advertising for ticket sales and seems to be zero buzz this year. Past sessions were sold out at least in the Civic Arena.

The NCAA owns the NIT now and while the games are not directly head to head, I wonder if they would set up a situation where local fans would basically have to decide which game to pay for.
Home games are determined by seeds. Unless we really fold, its almost guaranteed we get a Top 4 seed and will host the first game. The only times when a higher seed would have to go on the road is if the home team's arena is already booked. Kentucky had to travel to Robert Morris on that Tuesday because Rupp was hosting the NCAAT on that Thursday and had to be used by the NCAA teams on that Tuesday. Illinois traveled to Stony Brook a few years ago because there was a state basketball or wrestling tournament at Assembly Hall. The NIT used to allow teams to play in another on-campus venue. OSU played at old St. John Arena a few years ago in the NIT and Kentucky played in a smaller on-campus arena a few years ago but I guess they can no longer do that. So, even if the Pete was booked (which I doubt it will be), we could have played at Fitzgerald.

Since the Pete is not going to be booked, our NIT home game will most likely be Tuesday or Wednesday. There is a slight chance it could be Friday night as they do that from time to time but I doubt it.

The 2nd Round runs Saturday-Monday. The quarters are Tuesday/Wednesday.

If Pitt hosts 2 games, I'd guess they'll be Tuesday or Wednesday then the following Monday so it doesn't conflict at all with the NCAA Tournament here.

You're right about NCAA tickets this year though. Last time it sold out it minutes. This year, there's still about 1,000 tickets left. I'm sure it will sell out though when the teams are announced. Villanova will travel very well and so will Maryland.

*DELETE*

This post was edited on 3/4 9:31 AM by UPitt '89

Harve - there was another Groupon posted today for discounted Consol NCAA tickets.

This is completely JMO but from my perspective part of the reason they did not sell well (after selling out every other time it's been hosted in Pittsburgh), is that the upper level tickets at Consol were awful. I know that stopped us from buying them again. I felt like I was miles away from the action. We decided to take our chances scalping or splurging for much better tickets at a premium price.

Agree about upstairs at Consol.

Frankly, unless Pitt is playing, I'll never watch basketball there again.

I've seen all the other NCAAT games there but just no interest this year.

Hopefully, we're either at Dayton or hosting an NIT game.

My guess is......

that late this week or early next week season ticket holders are going to get an email telling them how to purchase tickets to any potential NIT games. There is no way that they are going to wait until after the NCAA tournament field is selected to start the process, nor should they.

And for the people wondering about home games with the NCAA games at the CEC, Pitt has already told the NCAA that they will host games, so if we get a top four seed we will host at least one NIT game.

All moot.....we're in the Dance.*

I'm pretty sure its not just handed to the high seeds, the high seeds actually have to apply to host and commit to the financial deal. Zeise's article today stated that Pitt already applied to be a host

Originally posted by braves2121:
I'm pretty sure its not just handed to the high seeds, the high seeds actually have to apply to host and commit to the financial deal. Zeise's article today stated that Pitt already applied to be a host
I think that's just semantics. The higher seeded team always gets to host, unless there is some reason that they turn it down. I can't think of any reason that a team would accept an NIT invitation and refuse to host ANY games. There have been obvious cases where 1-2 games were not possible (e.g., UK).

Had to get that "moot" in there, didn't you?

Funny.

I like the optimism. Need to win at least 3 in a row, FSU on the road is the worrisome one for me.

Re: Had to get that "moot" in there, didn't you?

I end up going to the City Game every year because I dont have pitt season tickets and I usually try and catch as many games in person as I can. With that said, there is really nothing appealing about going to games at Consol, starting with the price of tickets in general. It is still surprising to see a groupon for the tournament considering its only a few weeks away at this point.

I'll be happily watching the games from a couch in front of a tv, with a beer that won't cost $9.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT