ADVERTISEMENT

David Wannstedt. That's it.

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
Lyke is probably gone. That's how this works. Just like it was leaked to DiPaola several months before with Barnes/Oregon State, this doesn't get leaked unless its all but a done deal.

That said, the next AD has to be Dave Wannstedt. It just has to. You can say he failed as a football coach, fine, but the AD job is different and he posseses more AD skills than actual coaching skills. He's a people-person, a salesman, outgoing, great in front of the microphone, life of the party. People like him. I mean, he was an average coach here and seems like half the fanbase still adore the guy.

An AD's job is 2 things:

1. Pick good coaches and keep them happy

2. Fundraise

That's it. The other garbage like budget-setting, coming up with new acronyms, missiom statements, etc....have an intern do that. Its all fluff. Or just hire a strong associate AD.

We need a Pittsburgh guy. And right now, there's no better Pittsburgh guy than Wanny. Heck, he and Dixon had a good relationship and relationships are extremely important to Jamie. With Jamie's BFF leaving for Texas, I wouldn't even be stunned if Jamie came back if Wanny gave him a huge budget for assistants.

Lyke is probably gone. That's how this works. Just like it was leaked to DiPaola several months before with Barnes/Oregon State, this doesn't get leaked unless its all but a done deal.

That said, the next AD has to be Dave Wannstedt. It just has to. You can say he failed as a football coach, fine, but the AD job is different and he posseses more AD skills than actual coaching skills. He's a people-person, a salesman, outgoing, great in front of the microphone, life of the party. People like him. I mean, he was an average coach here and seems like half the fanbase still adore the guy.

An AD's job is 2 things:

2. Fundraise

That's it. The other garbage like budget-setting, coming up with new acronyms, missiom statements, etc....have an intern do that. Its all fluff. Or just hire a strong associate AD.

We need a Pittsburgh guy. And right now, there's no better Pittsburgh guy than Wanny. Heck, he and Dixon had a good relationship and relationships are extremely important to Jamie. With Jamie's BFF leaving for Texas, I wouldn't even be stunned if Jamie came back if Wanny gave him a huge budget for assistants.

I didn't even think of that but you make some great points. I wonder if he would be interested? He does have a great gig on Fox and doesn't have to work that much. He was practically giddy after Osu beat Psu with that 4th quarter comeback. That was great.

An AD's job is 2 things:

2. Fundraise

Explain why Lyke is gone pleaae.

An AD's job is 2 things:

2. Fundraise

I agree totally!

SMF you've come out of your "fringe thinking" mode and you've just made the recommendation of the year!

"it's five o'clock somewhere"
Signed: Mr Buffett
Go Pitt & CSU Rams!

An AD's job is 2 things:

2. Fundraise

I agree totally!

SMF you've come out of your "fringe thinking" mode and you've just made the recommendation of the year!

Go Pitt & CSU Rams!

Well, I think this is actually "fringe thinking" because its pretty far outside the box.

And to the poster who asked if he'd be interested, I think it was maybe Fox Sports Radio, maybe Joe Bendel (whatever happened to him), who asked him specifically if he'd be interested. He didn't say yes or no but his comments were a resounding yes. Said something like he doesn't know what they are looking for but if they are looking foe someone that loves Pitt, loves the city, etc, etc, then he's that guy. He said more than that that I cant remember but it was great. I still remember where i was in my car when I heard it. It got me so fired up. I just love that dude. He has the exact personality an AD would need. Hiring an up and coming AD from a mid-major who will leave in 2 years doesn't do it for me.

An AD's job is 2 things:

2. Fundraise

Dave's probably just chomping at the bit to leave his cushy well paying job to come back to a school that treated him like garbage when he was here the last time.

I agree totally!

Go Pitt & CSU Rams!
ya, usually his suppostions to this would go something like, "if Lyke has to chew off the lower half of her left leg after getting caught in a bear trap while filming an episode of Running Wild with Bear Grylis and ends up bleeding out would not Wannstedt be a great replacement for her and should he raise soccer to the highest level above football and basketball where it belongs?

but seriously, why in the hell would Wannstedt leave his cushy yuck it up job at FoxSports to deal with the likes of us? He is becoming quite the on air personality there.

Last edited:
Reactions: BuffetParrothead
He's had zero interest the past couple times that the job was open after originally being open to replacing Pederson. I'd rather see Louis Riddick get a call.

Reactions: Pittnerski
What makes you think he could do #1 (hire good coaches)?

And, Wannstedt getting an AD position, after spending the past 7 years sabotaging Pitt football, would be another example of the bad guys winning.

Super bowl winner, national title winner, millionaire, tv personality.

What a dumbass he is!

Nothing about that indicates he's smart enough to be an effective administrator for a college athletics department.

How smart do you have to be to hire good coaches and fundraise? Honestly.

Would Wanny have hired a worse coach than Stallings? So, Barnes is a better AD because he came up with some irrelevant "strategic plan."

And, Wannstedt getting an AD position, after spending the past 7 years sabotaging Pitt football, would be another example of the bad guys winning.

Yup. I don't care what his relationship with SP was. What some call being a "Pitt man," I call spending the last few years being petty and taking shots at Pitt.

Would Wanny have hired a worse coach than Stallings? So, Barnes is a better AD because he came up with some irrelevant "strategic plan."

Smarter than Wanny. What makes you think he's capable of identifying a good coach? Because he was successful as a player? That doesn't mean anything.

Yup. I don't care what his relationship with SP was. What some call being a "Pitt man," I call spending the last few years being petty and taking shots at Pitt.

Smarter than Wanny. What makes you think he's capable of identifying a good coach? Because he was successful as a player? That doesn't mean anything.

Because any bafoon could do it. If you have sales/people skills, the AD job has to he the easiest $500K+ job in America. And I mean that, name a high paying job that’s easier. Most of us could pick better coaches. Would you have hired Kevin Stallings? Mike Haywood? Its a very easy job that most anyone with a college degree and sales/people skills could do

Correct me if I am wrong, but didnt we hire a search firm for like 400k that led us to hiring Stallings?

Reactions: Pittnerski
First, there's nothing to the rumor that Lyke is leaving. MSU needs to hire a much more seasoned, tough AD to take over that situation that's in shambles. If she leaves now, I don't think it will be for MSU.

So the rest of the premise is irrelevant.

Because any bafoon could do it. If you have sales/people skills, the AD job has to he the easiest $500K+ job in America. And I mean that, name a high paying job that’s easier. Most of us could pick better coaches. Would you have hired Kevin Stallings? Mike Haywood? Its a very easy job that most anyone with a college degree and sales/people skills could do

Then I'll do it. I've been in sales and business development for over 30 years. The position I'm in now is very stressful and I'm responsible for hundreds of millions of dollars of sales for a very large, major manufacturer. My position is all about developing relationships and networking. Isn't that all that is needed?

Then I'll do it. I've been in sales and business development for over 30 years. The position I'm in now is very stressful and I'm responsible for hundreds of millions of dollars of sales for a very large, major manufacturer. My position is all about developing relationships and networking. Isn't that all that is needed?

Yes, I would hire you over many "qualified" AD's. Its a simple job

Hmm, so it looks like the top 3 choices for Pitt's next AD - should Pitt need one - are:

Dave Wannstedt
an anonymous poster that goes by the name HailToPitt1985
Jim Tressell

That's a rather....diverse...list. Though, I don't think this is what people who call for more diversity have in mind.

Reactions: PerchMan
Hmm, so it looks like the top 3 choices for Pitt's next AD - should Pitt need one - are:

Dave Wannstedt
an anonymous poster that goes by the name HailToPitt1985
Jim Tressell

That's a rather....diverse...list. Though, I don't think this is what people who call for more diversity have in mind.

Literally laughed out loud.

I think a great salesman, a life of the party type, who isn't a complete moron could do an effective job. The job is so easy, you could literally not have an AD and there may be no difference. A retiring Pharmacy professor hired Pat Narduzzi and Marc Boehm hired Jamie Dixon.

An AD's job is 2 things:

2. Fundraise

It is #1 that scares me with Wanny. Guy would be a great fundraiser, great face, but he is too stuck in his ways and stubborn in my opinion to hire the best coaches.

Nothing about that indicates he's smart enough to be an effective administrator for a college athletics department.
What indicates that he's NOT smart enough to be effective? He's smart enough to secure NFL and D1 head coaching positions and a television analyst position, which have made him a millionaire. How many million-dollar gigs are you pulling in nowadays, ski? Nothing in your post indicates that you are smart enough to make an educated post about DaveW and the AD position.

Reactions: Seneca_Valley
First, there's nothing to the rumor that Lyke is leaving. MSU needs to hire a much more seasoned, tough AD to take over that situation that's in shambles. If she leaves now, I don't think it will be for MSU.
RIGHT! If Im an up n coming AD with ANY smarts why would I put myself in THAT position? There's too many hiles in the floor to fall through

So the rest of the premise is irrelevant.

What indicates that he's NOT smart enough to be effective? He's smart enough to secure NFL and D1 head coaching positions and a television analyst position, which have made him a millionaire. How many million-dollar gigs are you pulling in nowadays, ski? Nothing in your post indicates that you are smart enough to make an educated post about DaveW and the AD position.

Again, what has he done, besides being a mediocre coach, to make people think he is qualified to run a major athletics department?

Reactions: OriginalEther
Super bowl winner, national title winner, millionaire, tv personality.

What a dumbass he is!
Michael Irvin, too!

Yeah, none of those things means you are intelligent.

Whoever steps into the Spartan mess needs to be a reformer with a proven track record because a lot of apple carts will need to be turned over or burned. The task will be thankless -- more thankless even than dealing with the Tribe of Panther.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT