ADVERTISEMENT

Dear Coach Narduzzi:

It's not the scheme so much as just how poor the talent is. Our defensive front 7 is putrid. I can't think of a single defensive player in our front 7 who causes an offensive coordinator any concern when building their game plan.

Changing schemes is not likely to lead to better results. We need better talent and I am not optimistic that will happen.

So if the talent isn't there, why insist on running a Defensive scheme that requires outstanding talent? If you can't control the LOS and get a pass rush, as you indicate, what would make any sane coach think he can run Cover 1 and Cover Zero pass defense schemes?

He is someone who will be around 8-5 on average once he has all of his players on the roster. Good, established coaches do not want this job. We are in the same category as BC to outsiders.
There is no basis for that. He isn't showing the staffing, coaching, or recruiting to back that up. That would mean he'd have to have some 12 win years to balance out the 4 win years or even 10 win years to balance out the 6 win years. He doesn't look like he can come close to that.

Reactions: cbpitt2
I can't believe the defense is still this bad 3 years into Duzz tenure. UNC hadnt scored more than 20 points since the beginning of September. I know everyone is up in arms about Dinucci but he avg 8.5yds/attempt and ran for 82 last night and we scored 31 against one of the worst offenses in the power 5. That should be enough to win. It's clear the DBs have gotten better since last year but there is absolutely no pass rush at all. It's almost impossible to play press man2man coverage with no pass rush no matter how talented the Dbs are.

What really bothers me is Duzz sideline demeanor, he's literally yelling at the officials after every play the entire game, he looks ridiculous. He threw his headset off last night begging for a pass interference on 3rd&19 when the pass went 8 yards.

So if the talent isn't there, why insist on running a Defensive scheme that requires outstanding talent? If you can't control the LOS and get a pass rush, as you indicate, what would make any sane coach think he can run Cover 1 and Cover Zero pass defense schemes?

Sounds good!

Our staff might not be aware of this and should be alerted immediately. Maybe a posting in the Student Union building or in the cafeteria where the coaches work after hours to earn extra money ( $ 12.00 / hr adds up quick). Or maybe you could post this in the Pitt Student We're Offended By Everything newsletter I'm sure the coaches read it!

Send in your resume to Pitt Athletics attn: Ms Lyke

Good luck! We need it!

Sounds good!

Our staff might not be aware of this and should be alerted immediately. Maybe a posting in the Student Union building or in the cafeteria where the coaches work after hours to earn extra money ( $ 12.00 / hr adds up quick). Or maybe you could post this in the Pitt Student We're Offended By Everything newsletter I'm sure the coaches read it!

Send in your resume to Pitt Athletics attn: Ms Lyke

Good luck! We need it!

I think after last night's humiliation my resume would be carefully considered by Mrs Lyke. ;) FWIW the staff isn't aware at all that their Defensive schemes are awful, because they keep using them with the same results...twice as many losses as wins.

Reactions: BuffetParrothead
This team has taken me to the limits of frustration. I'm just so tired of watching teams go with 3 receivers to one side of the formation and then seeing our defenders 5 yard past the sticks playing outside the receiver with one lone safety in the middle to keep 2 receivers from easily picking up 1st down yardage on slants. The only time anyone has punted against us all year is when the QB's missed the open receiver or the pass to the open receiver was dropped. OK, ok we've seen our CB's make some nice plays on mid to long range passes outside the numbers but beyond that, this defense is just too easy to beat schematically. This sucks.

Reactions: SJLuvsLions
This team has taken me to the limits of frustration. I'm just so tired of watching teams go with 3 receivers to one side of the formation and then seeing our defenders 5 yard past the sticks playing outside the receiver with one lone safety in the middle to keep 2 receivers from easily picking up 1st down yardage on slants. The only time anyone has punted against us all year is when the QB's missed the open receiver or the pass to the open receiver was dropped. OK, ok we've seen our CB's make some nice plays on mid to long range passes outside the numbers but beyond that, this defense is just too easy to beat schematically. This sucks.
People like you are need a wake up call! We beat PED ST and CLEMSON, HCPN CAN take us there. We just got to be patient. UNC was a great team despite their 1-8 record, they could easily be above .500 just like us if it wasn't for a couple plays here and there. I see us going 1-1 over the next 2 weeks, b/c we're due for our yearly upset of a top team, and with PITT being a top school of the northeast (which is saying something; Harvard, Yale, Penn), i think a bowl is going to invite us due to our academic status where I KNOW HCPN isn't going to lose. Optimism people!!!! #H2P #PittIsLit

People like you are need a wake up call! We beat PED ST and CLEMSON, HCPN CAN take us there. We just got to be patient. UNC was a great team despite their 1-8 record, they could easily be above .500 just like us if it wasn't for a couple plays here and there. I see us going 1-1 over the next 2 weeks, b/c we're due for our yearly upset of a top team, and with PITT being a top school of the northeast (which is saying something; Harvard, Yale, Penn), i think a bowl is going to invite us due to our academic status where I KNOW HCPN isn't going to lose. Optimism people!!!! #H2P #PittIsLit

No 1-8 team was or is great, not now, not ever. Please seek help.

Reactions: VJJPUNISHER

I don't think Narduzzi's scheme requires outstanding talent. MSU fielded good to almost elite defenses without having anything close to great recruiting.

That said, I don't know what kind of scheme that can cover up our weaknesses at DL and LB. Our base is a 4-3 and it's obvious from the entire year that our front four rarely get pressure on the qb nor get penetration in stopping the run. However, it's not like our talent at LB is any better. Our linebackers lack the athletic ability to play well in space which is something Narduzzi's scheme demands of them, but are also poor open field tacklers and lack the size/speed to be good at rushing the passer.
I suppose playing a 3-3-5 might make sense since I think we have more talent at safety then at DL or LB but it's not really good either.
I am not absolving Narduzzi since he is responsible for this. I am actually pessimistic that it will get fixed to be honest.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT