ADVERTISEMENT

Dennis Dodd's view on why no playoff expansion to 8 teams

On paper Miami would slaughter PItt. On paper Clemson would destroy Syracuse. On paper Clemson would destroy Pitt. There is a reason they play games. The ratings may not be as high as some other games but is the point of football to get ratings or to compete. If you win a P5 conference you deserve a shot to win a title. I rather teams settle it on the field rather then some committee. There is enough interest to make an 8 game playoff work. In fact the more teams you have playing for a playoff sport the more interest you maintain. For example the PAC 12 championship had no impact on the playoffs. If it was a guaranteed spot you bet more people would turn on. As is now once a team gets 2 loses their chances are basically gone. With 8 teams there is still possibilities. For example it PItt was all but eliminated from the playoffs by 9/16 this year. Let say PItt change QBs and ended up making a run and finished 10-2. They then beat Clemson do you think they deserve at least a chance at the playoffs?

Or even if Pitt went 8-4 and won their division, then upset Clemson? With an auto bid as conference champ, that's the kind of story the current system lacks.

Reactions: 21Guns.
Just like Oklahoma shut out Boise State.

It's a lot easier for the little guys to beat the big guys in a game that the big guys have little reason to care about and is the little guys most important game of the season. When winning the game means you might win the national championship you'll have the big guys full attention, and the instances of upsets will drop dramatically.

Reactions: paulbl99
Or even if Pitt went 8-4 and won their division, then upset Clemson? With an auto bid as conference champ, that's the kind of story the current system lacks.
The 4 best teams are set to play.....after a full regular season to see upsets.
This cockamamie scheme of having some jobonie team in the final four makes Zero sense.

Reactions: RaleighPittFan
Someone brought up the point on another thread....I personally welcome an 8-4 team busting into the Championship Series. Who doesn't want to root for the underdog. Hell, and while not 8-4...I bet most fans would be rooting for UCF this year to knock off one of the big boys...or 2. Makes for better TV then watching Alabama Clemson Part 3

The American has distanced itself from the Group of 5. Their championship game viewers were more than the other G5 championship games combined this past week. They were close to the PAC 12 game in numbers. The week 13 game of UCF vs USF was 4.7 viewers, ahead of Clemson vs SC and Pitt miami. They were just behind ND and Stanford game. So if you put 2 quality teams that score points in a game people will watch. Memphis, UCF and USF are fun to watch, the American is definitely closing the gap and should get a better TV deal. I think they are closer to the P5 than the G5. They went like 32-5 in games against other G5 teams this year.

It's a lot easier for the little guys to beat the big guys in a game that the big guys have little reason to care about and is the little guys most important game of the season. When winning the game means you might win the national championship you'll have the big guys full attention, and the instances of upsets will drop dramatically.
There's always an excuse as to why we don't want to give people a chance. Yeah sure, Oklahoma didn't care about winning that day! LOL

The 4 best teams are set to play.....after a full regular season to see upsets.
This cockamamie scheme of having some jobonie team in the final four makes Zero sense.
Nobody can tell if they are the 4 best teams, that's just an opinion. And being CHAMPION has nothing to do with being BEST TEAM. You should have to earn a spot in a playoff, not be selected by a committee. this is why CFB is such a stupid sport, it's never had a champion, only "mythical" champions. College basketball on the other hand has a legit champion every year, decided by an orderly formula that has very little subjectivity.

Nobody can tell if they are the 4 best teams, that's just an opinion. And being CHAMPION has nothing to do with being BEST TEAM. You should have to earn a spot in a playoff, not be selected by a committee. this is why CFB is such a stupid sport, it's never had a champion, only "mythical" champions. College basketball on the other hand has a legit champion every year, decided by an orderly formula that has very little subjectivity.
A full season plus conf chp says otherwise for 3 of 4
Your schemes would leave open just as much conjecture.....
And OSU and USC have a precise path to get in it’s called don’t lose

Get used to it this is going to be around for some time.

A full season plus conf chp says otherwise for 3 of 4
Your schemes would leave open just as much conjecture.....
And OSU and USC have a precise path to get in it’s called don’t lose

Get used to it this is going to be around for some time.
I don't care about OSU and USC, I want a path for schools like Pitt or USF, where if they win certain games they get a bid 100%. And no talking heads can argue them out of it. What matters most to me is having some automatic bids that have zero subjectivity, like you win THIS GAME you are in, no matter what else you did all year. Because IMO that's real sports.

I don't care about OSU and USC, I want a path for schools like Pitt or USF, where if they win certain games they get a bid 100%. And no talking heads can argue them out of it. What matters most to me is having some automatic bids that have zero subjectivity, like you win THIS GAME you are in, no matter what else you did all year. Because IMO that's real sports.
Good points well stated.

I just don’t agree.

Good points well stated.

I just don’t agree.
Your way, the NFL playoffs would just be Steelers, Patriots, Eagles and Vikings, and maybe someone would argue for the Steelers to be moved to 5th because a lot of their wins don't pass the "eye test".

I want the system that has the least likelihood of an underdog or Cinderella team making ge playoff. I want the best teams as they’re more likely to play the most competitive and entertaining game.

Your way, the NFL playoffs would just be Steelers, Patriots, Eagles and Vikings, and maybe someone would argue for the Steelers to be moved to 5th because a lot of their wins don't pass the "eye test".
There are 32 NFL teams with a drafte w shared revenue.

To compare that to the NCAA is total bunk.

I want the system that has the least likelihood of an underdog or Cinderella team making ge playoff. I want the best teams as they’re more likely to play the most competitive and entertaining game.
And you see, to me that's boring, and likely an impediment to my Pitt team ever making it. Even if Pitt was 12-1 some day, they'd fight like hell to push an11-2 Bama or tOSU ahead of them, I'm pretty certain there would be a fight to keep Pitt out even at 13-0. Anyways, underdogs and Cinderellas making it is what I want, and in a field of 8 they wouldn't ruin the games, they might even enhance. I hate the current system because it's meant to keep that thing from happening purposely. And add to that, I just honestly don't want to see the same 6-8 teams every single year, even if they are the best.

There are 32 NFL teams with a drafte w shared revenue.

To compare that to the NCAA is total bunk.

I just want more teams to have a chance and I don't want to see the same teams play rematches year after year after year. AND... I want to enhance Pitt's chances.

I just want more teams to have a chance and I don't want to see the same teams play rematches year after year after year. AND... I want to enhance Pitt's chances.
I get it dude and have said you have stated your case very articulately.
I’m not buying it that’s all.

To me, a 4-7 Pitt team cost WVU a certain shot at the MNC......
during the season!! During The season bro and that WAS a great night for anybody watching CFB.

WVU HAD to win that game ; they shit the bed and Pitt put on a once in a decade performance......

I would not have wanted that Pitt team in the Sugar Bowl or Fiesta or whatever.

Good talking wif ya!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT