ADVERTISEMENT

Difference Between Rudolf and Pickett

Aren’t you proving my point ?
We are drafting around 20. Just like after our HOF QB’s last season
That’s not a recipe for finding a franchise qb-
Thank you for agreeing

Not at all. You didn't comprehend the aging defense.
As they age, liddle Dilfer's win total goes down, draft position up.
Pretty simple, seems like you should have be able to follow along.

Beats the hell out of looking up at mediocrity. There is not a starting NFL QB on the roster. Draft a QB and trade for one. Then have the competition decide. If Kenny wins the job fine. If not, its on him.
So if Pickett wins the job after trading for a QB and drafting a QB he is an NFL QB? Let's face it, the OL & Canada sucked the 1st 8 games of this season!

Yep. Yesterday Mason was a victim of many of the team-issues that have hurt Kenny. Pass catchers not protecting the ball, OL giving up immediate pressure, WR running wrong routes, dumb play calling (5 curls on 2nd and goal from the 4).

I've said it before and I'll say it again, this is a team problem. It's a bad scheme and I think there are discipline/focus issues that are hurting the bottom line on offense. Every QB will be a worse version of himself on this team right now. Mahomes is not an All Pro QB on the 2022-2023 Steelers.
There was a 3rd and 8 and I noticed 2 receivers running routes. Wtf?

These QBs have been playing with one hand tied behind their backs for at least 4 years now. It’s why I was convinced that Mason was an NFL QB 3 years ago when no one else here did. And it’s why I think that Kenny is at least an NFL QB and could be a Goff or Stafford type QB down the road.

Given the scenario, Pickett is no lock for the job. If he wasn't a Pitt grad, this board would have thrown him under the bus.
You mean like a small handful have to one of the best rookie cornerbacks in the league and others have to a tight end who had 123 receptions his first two seasons before falling back to 32 this year?

Not at all. You didn't comprehend the aging defense.
As they age, liddle Dilfer's win total goes down, draft position up.
Pretty simple, seems like you should have be able to follow along.
Who’s aging ?
Heyward and Ojubi, sure
Secondary is young
Linebackers fairly young

i cant believe Josh Allen Fake Slide'd us last night. damn if i dont like it when your QB does it to the other team vs gettin it done to you..
Yeah i totally was yelling at the t.v. when that happned. No one made a big deal of it like they did kenny. The nfl didnt have a secret emergency meeting foĺlowed by a rules change press release... the ncaa sucks

You mean like a small handful have to one of the best rookie cornerbacks in the league and others have to a tight end who had 123 receptions his first two seasons before falling back to 32 this year?
To be fair the TE is bang average. The CB hate though is embarrassing.

Not knocking Friermuth. He is ok. But he is what he is, and largely overrated.

Reactions: Burgh15
Okay. If you think a QB who doesn't throw touchdowns and needs to lean on a dominant defense then go for it. I think there are more reliable ways.
So who do you like where the Steelers pick in the draft.

Yeah i totally was yelling at the t.v. when that happned. No one made a big deal of it like they did kenny. The nfl didnt have a secret emergency meeting foĺlowed by a rules change press release... the ncaa sucks
In the NFL you don't go for fakes. I thought he just stumbled a bit. In reality nobody let up, he just ran by them.

Reactions: pittdan77
The problem with fans is they set the bar too high and therefore misevaluated QB play due to it. Even the media does it. I heard a Steeler beat writer yesterday proclaim that he didn’t think Kenny was the guy and then proceeded to compare him to Allen, Mahomes and Burrow. Then he compared Kenny in his start vs Buffalo last year, in his first career start with Matt Canada, to Mason Rudolph starting on Monday without Matt Canada. Do people realize how unintelligent they sound? Those guys mentioned are the elite QB’s of this era and headed to the HOF and Kenny was a bottom half of round 1 pick playing QB in a junior high offense for 1.5 years. Kenny has shown in the very least to be an NFL QB. I suspect that one day he will impress with stats to go along with the wins, albeit off the bench elsewhere where the starting QB goes down to injury.

To be fair the TE is bang average. The CB hate though is embarrassing.

Not knocking Friermuth. He is ok. But he is what he is, and largely overrated.
Muth is average at best. Porter is one of the better cbs as a rookie The Steelers could use a playmaker at TE.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Muth is average at best. Porter is one of the better cbs as a rookie The Steelers could use a playmaker at TE.
I used to say it going all the way back to the Jay Novacek days in Dallas. And I’m sure plenty said it way before that. If you want to win in the NFL, an elite TE will take a good team and make it a great team. Yeah Dallas had the triplets, but it was Novacek who often made the key plays in the red zone or on 3rd down.

Reactions: pittbb80
lol, yikes..

but seriously, it's a chicken / egg thing imo with a good qb and a good oc.
I don't believe that. Yeah, a bad QB can never be helped by an OC but a bad OC will just hamstring a good QB. We saw it at times during Ben's career. The fact that it took a dozen games for the Steelers to run play action on first down is just ridiculous when you look around the league and see just about every good offense doing it. Second the Steelers started running play action, the running game improved, and it immediately helped with protection.

I don't believe that. Yeah, a bad QB can never be helped by an OC but a bad OC will just hamstring a good QB. We saw it at times during Ben's career. The fact that it took a dozen games for the Steelers to run play action on first down is just ridiculous when you look around the league and see just about every good offense doing it. Second the Steelers started running play action, the running game improved, and it immediately helped with protection.
that's why i like AVP to steelers. he runs an extremely effective play action. well he did when he had hunt and Chubbs going. Mayfield was extremely successful with his system.

Reactions: pittdan77
The smart thing to do is let Rudolph walk and cut Trubisky. Sign a vet to compete with Pickett.
For sure you cut Mitch but the big question is what does a vet cost relative to Rudy and is he an upgrade. I personally think Rudy is gone. I think his performance was good enough to get a gig somewhere as a back up and make as much or more as a back up as the Steelers might pay him As I said earlier if the money is even hes leavin although I couch that with "it depends on what they do with a new OC".

Right, there are many examples of this where a QB excelled in a certain offense or for a certain OC.

There might be a handful of guys, if that, who made bad OCs look good.
Did anyone see how Houston always has an open receiver against the #1 defense in the NFL?
That’s what competent play design looks like

Steelers only have a handful of actually well designed plays

Right, there are many examples of this where a QB excelled in a certain offense or for a certain OC.

There might be a handful of guys, if that, who made bad OCs look good.
I mean
Even Tom Brady made Bruce Arians change his schemes to fit his skills
Because the GOAT looked washed before those changes

Did anyone see how Houston always has an open receiver against the #1 defense in the NFL?
That’s what competent play design looks like

Steelers only have a handful of actually well designed plays
And receivers who are disciplined and run good routes and dont give up on the play when they are not the primary target. AB was incredible when the play broke down. Not sure we have anyone like that.

There was a 3rd and 8 and I noticed 2 receivers running routes. Wtf?

These QBs have been playing with one hand tied behind their backs for at least 4 years now. It’s why I was convinced that Mason was an NFL QB 3 years ago when no one else here did. And it’s why I think that Kenny is at least an NFL QB and could be a Goff or Stafford type QB down the road.
Idk about that level of ceiling but I agree that the Steelers scheme is basically holding every QB back. It is just not a modern approach to football. It's punishing to watch as a fan who has seen any other team play.

Reactions: Pittduck
I’ll take total bullshit for 1000 Alex. Up and coming insider. LOL. Probably the same insider that said KP didn’t want to be back up.
Well it’s out there and now being discussed on the 93.7 shows as the topic du jour so if it’s not true, he should say so.

Maybe it is.

Last edited:
The AFC has Mahomes, Allen, Jackson, Herbert, Burrow and Stroud. You are not winning anything important with Kenny Pickett or Mason Rudolph with those guys around unless you surround them with one of the greatest rosters in NFL history. The Steelers can't go into next year with that QB room. Kenny and Rudolph should be having a camp battle to see who can be the backup.

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof
The AFC has Mahomes, Allen, Jackson, Herbert, Burrow and Stroud. You are not winning anything important with Kenny Pickett or Mason Rudolph with those guys around unless you surround them with one of the greatest rosters in NFL history. The Steelers can't go into next year with that QB room. Kenny and Rudolph should be having a camp battle to see who can be the backup.
I agree but what is your solution.

So who do you like where the Steelers pick in the draft.
Wow this is really early so it's hard to say. I don't think there would be a RT worthwhile at #20 and I wouldn't target a center until the second round. I really want to build this offense and would consider a receiver here. Defensively, I'd consider a defensive lineman or a cornerback. Corner is probably going to have the most talent and you get another young DB to pair with Porter.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT