ADVERTISEMENT

Dior Johnson commits to Pitt

Lol. Bacot is much, much better and went against pretty damn good competition in his AAU practices on team loaded 17U 3 years ago. It was just him, Oscar, Isaiah Todd and Dave McCormack going against each other every day… doubt he’s scared of John Hugley because he played better one game

IDK, sure looked like he quit on the court this year playing Hugley.

This should be interesting. He has the ball on a string, a willing passer, is cat quick and has shown in HS/AAU that he can finish in traffic. JC has brought in a talented player.

Clearly red flags come with him. Has been to double digit HS’s, committed to 3 colleges now and he’s had maturity issues. When he committed to Oregon he admitted he had maturity issues in the past and said he has grown up.

One has to ask was he not willing to compete? Oregon got back their top G who dropped out of the draft and brought in some talented transfers, then all the sudden he asked out of his scholarship. Did he pick Pitt because others backed off and he just wants the ball in his hands so he can go for his? Or does he mean what he said about wanting to be coached and held accountable?

We will only know these things when games start. If he is all about himself this will most likely cause chemistry issues and problems. If he is willing to buy in then credit to him and JC as the kid has the talent to make a difference.

The same with any man, committment issues. Seeing him play game 1 will be quite the feat. Seeing him play game 30 might be damn near impossible.

That's my concern as well. It's great to get some good news once in a while and this kid sounds like a decent player. But until I see him on the court in a Pitt uniform and playing and doing it all season, I'll withhold judgement. The kid sounds a bit squirrelly to me and has some commitment issues.

For those who have been following recruiting/the program closer than I have as of late: what changed between this offseason the the previous three as it pertains to landing commitments?

Is it just the amount of playing time available or is there something else at play? IIRC, no staff changes were made except for naming O’Toole associate head coach. Just better luck this time around?

For those who have been following recruiting/the program closer than I have as of late: what changed between this offseason the the previous three as it pertains to landing commitments?

Is it just the amount of playing time available or is there something else at play? IIRC, no staff changes were made except for naming O’Toole associate head coach. Just better luck this time around?
Their backs were against the wall and that led to better recruiting with NIL help. IMO

Their backs were against the wall and that led to better recruiting with NIL help. IMO
I’d also say that actually being able to have kids visit was a helpful change. Doesn’t mean anything for a kid like Dior who committed site unseen, but I think it definitely helped us with kids like the twins to get them on campus.

It’s also a little bit of luck for some guys. We had a staffer who had a preexisting connection with Elliott from Marquette. There was a starter-level guard who grew up in Beaver County dreaming of playing for Pitt.

No, no and no

I have a hard time believing that a kid that has bounced around as much as him is looking for a challenge, but at the very least this wont be boring. High risk, high reward

I see that he has decommitted a few times, but it really hasn't been that bad. He committed to Syracuse as a sophomore and his position at Oregon became crowded with quality transfers. He probably wants to play a year or two and then move to the pros.

I see that he has decommitted a few times, but it really hasn't been that bad. He committed to Syracuse as a sophomore and his position at Oregon became crowded with quality transfers. He probably wants to play a year or two and then move to the pros.

The story around this kid through his HS years has never been flattering. Even by today’s standards, moving around as much as he has is uncommon.

Lets be honest, there’s a reason he has fallen from being a top 10-15 recruit and is coming here and not somewhere with more success recently. That’s not to say we can’t be excited or let our minds wander a bit because this certainly is better than hoping on some mid major kid turning into a 20 ppg scorer, but the excitement is tempered a bit by the players history and Capel’s track record (or lack of) for holding a roster together

The story around this kid through his HS years has never been flattering. Even by today’s standards, moving around as much as he has is uncommon.

Lets be honest, there’s a reason he has fallen from being a top 10-15 recruit and is coming here and not somewhere with more success recently. That’s not to say we can’t be excited or let our minds wander a bit because this certainly is better than hoping on some mid major kid turning into a 20 ppg scorer, but the excitement is tempered a bit by the players history and Capel’s track record (or lack of) for holding a roster together

If this kid can give us one solid year I'll be happy. If he's the focal point for a successful team, maybe he stays two. Unfortunately that is where we are at anymore. Its annoying and discouraging but it is what it is. Hard to blame the kids for a situation the NCAA created.

I'm thinking (hoping) his commitment to Pitt sticks because he has to realize that at some point, you've got to stick to a decision before you stop getting quality opportunities.

Let's be honest. Who cares?

Our best player had character questions after the car theft incident. Nobody's complaining now. The college bb landscape has changed. It's 1 year at a time. The concept of being in the program for 4 years and developing players is more or less out the window.

Just be glad we landed a top recruit, and our chances of winning are better than they were the day before. Worry about next year next year.

Let's be honest. Who cares?

Our best player had character questions after the car theft incident. Nobody's complaining now. The college bb landscape has changed. It's 1 year at a time. The concept of being in the program for 4 years and developing players is more or less out the window.

Just be glad we landed a top recruit, and our chances of winning are better than they were the day before. Worry about next year next year.
Yeah. and to be honest, unless there's something else that people aren't sharing, there are way worse red flags than a kid that's hopped around schools and changed his commitment a few times.

Reactions: CaptainMurphy
Guess on depth chart for positions 1 - 2 - 3?
I don't believe either Dior or McNeilly should be expected to be immediately handed starters minutes or to initially be significant contributors. IMHO, they were recruited primarily to plug in the following season when Burton, Sibande, Elliot and Cummings have all completed their eligibility.

I see both of these guys just getting back-up minutes and "garbage time" minutes---unless there are injuries to the 4 more experienced guys who will be completing their eligibility. Caveat: might be a somewhat different scenario if either Dior or McNielly demonstrate that they are ready for ACC level play AND willing and able to be unselfish "team" players.

Dior decomitted from Oregon because of potential lack of playing time. Dior will be a starter/play starter minutes. He’s a top 40 recruit! Peak alluded to this on his “emergency” podcast last night. Dior is deadset on being a one and done. He was specifically looking for a situation where he could play significant minutes this season.
I don't believe either Dior or McNeilly should be expected to be immediately handed starters minutes or to initially be significant contributors. IMHO, they were recruited primarily to plug in the following season when Burton, Sibande, Elliot and Cummings have all completed their eligibility.

I see both of these guys just getting back-up minutes and "garbage time" minutes---unless there are injuries to the 4 more experienced guys who will be completing their eligibility. Caveat: might be a somewhat different scenario if either Dior or McNielly demonstrate that they are ready for ACC level play AND willing and able to be unselfish "team" players.

Reactions: Drew1208 and gary2
The college bb landscape has changed. It's 1 year at a time. The concept of being in the program for 4 years and developing players is more or less out the window.

It’s actually a half-year at a time now. LOI days are raising fewer interest each year, and the focus will increasingly be on the transfer deadline date. Until even that gets challenged in court and similarly eliminated by the NCAA. Then it will only be a matter of time until players are transferring in the middle of seasons and playing immediately for new schools the following day. I don’t say that in a happy way, but then again, the old way hasn’t been all that beneficial to Pitt basketball for several years now.

Mcneilly - yes.
Dior - no.

1. He won’t be at Pitt for 2 seasons. That’s a 99.999999 percent guarantee. I don’t think he’s a pro but he will either portal or declare

2. He’s better than every guard on the roster. Nike/Burton were part of 6 win teams. Cummings is coming from the patriot league. If a potential top 10 player isn’t playing over them we have bigger issues

He’s the most talented player on Pitt in a decade. He’s the most important player instantly on the roster. He’s the single player who is irreplaceable. This team has NCAA potential with him. They have CBI potential without. If he’s not a starter day 1… we have big problems

Let’s be honest.

None of us know shat. If we did, we wouldn’t be posting.

Dior should be a day one starting at the point. Nelly will be a CG on the floor with him.

McNeilly should be the last guard off of the bench this year with a bigger role the following.

Dior should be a day one starting at the point. Nelly will be a CG on the floor with him.

McNeilly should be the last guard off of the bench this year with a bigger role the following.
I think both guys bring the ceiling DT is talking about.

I think both guys bring the ceiling DT is talking about.

That wasn't meant as a knock on McNeilly more about the experience and depth of the other guards. In an ideal scenario, he becomes the lead guard the following year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT