ADVERTISEMENT

Dior Johnson commits to Pitt

Mcneilly - yes.
Dior - no.

1. He won’t be at Pitt for 2 seasons. That’s a 99.999999 percent guarantee. I don’t think he’s a pro but he will either portal or declare

2. He’s better than every guard on the roster. Nike/Burton were part of 6 win teams. Cummings is coming from the patriot league. If a potential top 10 player isn’t playing over them we have bigger issues

He’s the most talented player on Pitt in a decade. He’s the most important player instantly on the roster. He’s the single player who is irreplaceable. This team has NCAA potential with him. They have CBI potential without. If he’s not a starter day 1… we have big problems
I couldn’t sleep last night so I watched as many highlights and interviews as I could find, and there are many out there. He’s the most impressive recruit I’ve seen us “get” in my 22 years as a fan.

If you can keep his head right, he has the skill and swag that’s required to easily get us into the NCAAT and instantly lift us back to the level of respectability needed to get us back on track to being a solid program again.

I don’t often get overly excited, but wow is he talented.

Dior should be a day one starting at the point. Nelly will be a CG on the floor with him.

McNeilly should be the last guard off of the bench this year with a bigger role the following.
Several possibilities in, IMHO, the the most probable order of liklihood.

1. Dior starts because he was promised it whether he earns it in practice or not.

2. Starts as most talented option but plays selfishly and hurts "team" play and performance.

3. Gets sub minutes because he is not the best option as a starter.

4. Starts as the best option and plays unselfeshly making the team better.

Someone with his talent has to be in the floor. I’m optimistic he will play team ball…well, hopeful.

He averaged close to 5 assists per game in the EYBL last year and he can score with a 2-1 assist to turnover ratio. Passing or team ball isnt his issue. He needs to fully commit to Jeff Capel and the program and be willing to be coached up. And what I mean by fully commit is, listen to the coach, unlike the last Johnson (X) that played under Capel that wanted to do things his way.

Dior has the talent to start and produce immediately at a pretty high level.

He averaged close to 5 assists per game in the EYBL last year and he can score with a 2-1 assist to turnover ratio. Passing or team ball isnt his issue. He needs to fully commit to Jeff Capel and the program and be willing to be coached up. And what I mean by fully commit is, listen to the coach, unlike the last Johnson (X) that played under Capel that wanted to do things his way.

Dior has the talent to start and produce immediately at a pretty high level.
My guess is that he will play like every other guard that plays under Capel.

When you keep hyping up every guard that comes thru then they all fit a certain pattern and you can’t wait to get rid of them… there is a common denominator

I don't believe either Dior or McNeilly should be expected to be immediately handed starters minutes or to initially be significant contributors. IMHO, they were recruited primarily to plug in the following season when Burton, Sibande, Elliot and Cummings have all completed their eligibility.

I see both of these guys just getting back-up minutes and "garbage time" minutes---unless there are injuries to the 4 more experienced guys who will be completing their eligibility. Caveat: might be a somewhat different scenario if either Dior or McNielly demonstrate that they are ready for ACC level play AND willing and able to be unselfish "team" players.
Dior will not come here for backup minutes. That's the whole reason he's coming here.

Someone with his talent has to be in the floor. I’m optimistic he will play team ball…well, hopeful.

A few months ago. These are obviously just highlights, but it shows you he can pass along with score and he looks for his bigs on the inside for easy points. Hugley should be the biggest beneficiary of having Johnson on the floor with him.

With that said, Im hoping we find a player at the 4 position who can shoot and give John space. Because Johnson with Hugley could be a great duo with adequate spacing.

A few months ago. These are obviously just highlights, but it shows you he can pass along with score and he looks for his bigs on the inside for easy points. Hugley should be the biggest beneficiary of having Johnson on the floor with him.

With that said, Im hoping we find a player at the 4 position who can shoot and give John space. Because Johnson with Hugley could be a great duo with adequate spacing.

Hinson ain't bad from 3
And jorge shot 44% from 3 at img

Reactions: Vader_Storm
Hinson ain't bad from 3
And jorge shot 44% from 3 at img

As I said in the other thread, the twins are the biggest wildcards by far this coming year because of shooting imho. A 7 footer that can shoot opens up all kinds of possibilities. The potential upside of the twins is big if they can be developed.

Reactions: gary2
As I said in the other thread, the twins are the biggest wildcards by far this coming year because of shooting imho. A 7 footer that can shoot opens up all kinds of possibilities. The potential upside of the twins is big if they can be developed.

I'm not sure what more jorge needs to develop really besides strength and defense.
He can stand in the corner

Reactions: Hail412Pitt
The 2 biggest areas imo are - Strength and getting their motors up a bit.
The motor thing is always big.
But with this team being deep we can play efficiencies or deficiencies whichever way you look at it

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT