ADVERTISEMENT

Dior update

While I get your point, he did practice with the team for a month or so. So the players/coaches know what he’s like and I’m sure there will be a group discussion about whether he’s back or not
And now they have defined roles, starting positions, hierarchy etc. and you bring in a kid who thinks he’s a 1 and done because he was top 10 in his class 4 years ago? I don’t see that working

Reactions: TWPitt
ACC being bad is only a bad thing if Pitt wasn't good.. but Pitt is good.

The ACC being bad is critical to Pitt. Calling them “good” is a matter of context. Being good enough to beat a solid NC State team and a bad Syracuse team doesn’t project into being nationally “good”. This team is showing progress but let’s keep things in perspective. We played a soft non-conference losing 3 of 4 to major conference opponents as well as VCU. They need to win 2-3 games over the big boys in the ACC and run the table against the bottom feeders to put themselves in a larger conversation. If the ACC were better, the needle that they need to thread to make real noise would be much larger

And now they have defined roles, starting positions, hierarchy etc. and you bring in a kid who thinks he’s a 1 and done because he was top 10 in his class 4 years ago? I don’t see that working

That’s where I disagree

Obviously I don’t know the mental stability of the kid (and how he’d accept a 15-20 min role at best in February)

But if he’s on board him playing 15-20 min doesn’t hurt anyone else.

Nelly and JB are playing too much especially with JB’s knee problems

We’re basically playing 6-7 guys right now and the guards basically can’t come out of the game much

Dior playing helps us actually not avoid a collapse where we hit that February wall (as long as he doesn’t collpase locker room - big IF)

If Jeff let's this kid comeback and he becomes a problem that negatively impacts the team.
Well that's all on Jeff.
How will he do there?
I definitely don't trust him to handle it well.
But I really think it's really easy to keep him on a short leash and make him earn his way and if he can't handle that....bye

That’s where I disagree

Obviously I don’t know the mental stability of the kid (and how he’d accept a 15-20 min role at best in February)

But if he’s on board him playing 15-20 min doesn’t hurt anyone else.

Nelly and JB are playing too much especially with JB’s knee problems

We’re basically playing 6-7 guys right now and the guards basically can’t come out of the game much

Dior playing helps us actually not avoid a collapse where we hit that February wall (as long as he doesn’t collpase locker room - big IF)
Does he really have a choice as to his role though? At least for the rest of this season, it’s not like he can go anywhere else and play.

And even then, his NBA path was always going to be a redemption narrative with all of the high school transfers, but that redemption path is a lot more complex now. I’m sure his people have told him (or maybe tried to tell him) that not only does he need to play well, but he’s also going to have any red flags scrutinized to a degree that he hasn’t seen before - and he’s been scrutinized a bunch. Transferring is going to be a problem for him reputationally to a larger degree now. He’s gotta be a very good boy, and the best path to do that is here.

Reactions: pittjas
If Jeff let's this kid comeback and he becomes a problem that negatively impacts the team.
Well that's all on Jeff.
How will he do there?
I definitely don't trust him to handle it well.
But I really think it's really easy to keep him on a short leash and make him earn his way and if he can't handle that....bye
If coach and A.D. and chancellor allow him back I do expect him to find his game by the third or fourth game that he plays in.

I agree that if he is back on the team he has a very short leash in fact maybe there is no leash and it’s just a collar.

The ACC being bad is critical to Pitt. Calling them “good” is a matter of context. Being good enough to beat a solid NC State team and a bad Syracuse team doesn’t project into being nationally “good”. This team is showing progress but let’s keep things in perspective. We played a soft non-conference losing 3 of 4 to major conference opponents as well as VCU. They need to win 2-3 games over the big boys in the ACC and run the table against the bottom feeders to put themselves in a larger conversation. If the ACC were better, the needle that they need to thread to make real noise would be much larger
This ACCC is bad stuff
is a bit overdone IMO.
UNC, Duke, UVA, and
Miami are all currntly
ranked. Does the league
have the usual top 10
teams? Is it as good as
in past yrs?...Obviously
not. Beating those four
is a major undertaking
for our crew.

However If anyone thinks
we're just gonna easily
steamroll the likes of
Clemson, Vt, and WF....
forget about it. Those
teams are decent and
have some good wins
among them. As far as
the bottom feeders? No
guarantee we win out
there either. I like our
2-0 ACC record, and the
much improved play on
the floor. but I'm also
realistic.

Can someone explain to me why the ACC is considered "bad" and the Big 10 is considered the best conference in the country?

In the latest Bracketology, the Big 10 gets 10 teams while the ACC only gets 5. But this season, the ACC has a 13-12 record against the Big 10.

I understand the NET rankings probably are a huge reason for this. But I don't understand how the ACC can have a winning record against another Power 5 conference and yet the ACC is considered bad and the other conference is considered great lol.

I'm not calling them good based on anything besides what I've seen. If you know hoops, you know when a team can play or not. It has nothing to do with who they beat and the results. Trying to depict results when we haven't gotten into the meat yet is dumb. This team meshed well after their first 3 losses. Play those 3 again and it's way different.

Pitt is listed as first 4 out right now.

Tell that to 2022 Wake Forest

Wake Forest was solid but didn't have a single win over a ranked team last year. Played a joke non-conference schedule. If they don't lose to a garbage BC team in the ACCT, they're in. 13 ACC wins still should've had them in.. they were clearly a snub. One example doesn't define the rule. 13 ACC wins will generally get you in.

that's fine if you don't see it working. you didn't see this team winning more than 6 games like 2 months ago. We almost blew a game up 20 because of guard depth. If he's bought in, it's a no brainer. If he's not, then you say no. I love our backcourt and think we have some really solid college players, but you don't turn away a talented guard because your 9-4 and have NIT hopes. That's dumb.

Reactions: jctrack
Does he really have a choice as to his role though? At least for the rest of this season, it’s not like he can go anywhere else and play.

And even then, his NBA path was always going to be a redemption narrative with all of the high school transfers, but that redemption path is a lot more complex now. I’m sure his people have told him (or maybe tried to tell him) that not only does he need to play well, but he’s also going to have any red flags scrutinized to a degree that he hasn’t seen before - and he’s been scrutinized a bunch. Transferring is going to be a problem for him reputationally to a larger degree now. He’s gotta be a very good boy, and the best path to do that is here.

all the more reason for him to buy in to this team and play a role. All the more reason to reinstate the kid.. if he's smart, he plays a limited role this year, and returns for one more year. He'd have the entire frontcourt coming back to work with and he'd be in line for 32+ min a game in a guard centric system.

An amicable resolution to all this is:

- Dior allowed to enroll, take classes, and practice with team on scholarship.

- Full season suspension from competition

- Work with Coach Capel and life skills staff on transforming his life and establishing roots here and next season with him, Hinson, the twins, and the freshmen, maybe you have something

But I don't understand how the ACC can have a winning record against another Power 5 conference and yet the ACC is considered bad and the other conference is considered great lol.

Because who played who matters. For instance Virginia beat Michigan by two points. That doesn't mean that Virginia is better than, say, Purdue. The same as the fact that Nebraska beat both Florida State and BC doesn't mean that Nebraska is, say, better than us.

Transferring is real difficult because he is on probation for 1 full year. He cannot leave Pittsburgh without court permission during that 1 year.

Wake Forest was solid but didn't have a single win over a ranked team last year. Played a joke non-conference schedule. If they don't lose to a garbage BC team in the ACCT, they're in. 13 ACC wins still should've had them in.. they were clearly a snub. One example doesn't define the rule. 13 ACC wins will generally get you in.
Pitt beat one of the 5 legit teams they played out of conference. They’d have to get to 13 to be considered.
that's fine if you don't see it working. you didn't see this team winning more than 6 games like 2 months ago. We almost blew a game up 20 because of guard depth. If he's bought in, it's a no brainer. If he's not, then you say no. I love our backcourt and think we have some really solid college players, but you don't turn away a talented guard because your 9-4 and have NIT hopes. That's dumb.
they could still win 6 or less games lol. There’s a lot of season left and Capel deserves zero benefit of the doubt.

Can someone explain to me why the ACC is considered "bad" and the Big 10 is considered the best conference in the country?

In the latest Bracketology, the Big 10 gets 10 teams while the ACC only gets 5. But this season, the ACC has a 13-12 record against the Big 10.

I understand the NET rankings probably are a huge reason for this. But I don't understand how the ACC can have a winning record against another Power 5 conference and yet the ACC is considered bad and the other conference is considered great lol.

No one is saying the ACC is “bad” but there’s just not a ton of depth. The B10/B12/SEC are just loaded with depth. You can go .500 in the B12 and still conceivably be a tournament team because almost every night you have a chance for a nice win for the resume. If you’re not knocking off UVA/UNC/Duke in the ACC, there’s just not a lot of games out there that are going to wow the committee. Non-conference play/scheduling is so important. If you can pick off a few nice wins in your non-conference, you’re much further ahead. We need to stop scheduling like Dixon in the old Big East when you didn’t need to put yourself at risk prior to the league and start going after some big opportunities early on.

UVA is very good, UNC/Duke are talented but not the heavyweights that they have been or that the conference needs them to be and outside of Miami and VT there’s just not a ton of interesting teams. The league needs teams like Pitt, Syracuse, and Louisville to be relevant again nationally. There’s way more middle and bottom of the league than there is top.

Apparently he’s coming back and redshirting, the absolute dumbest outcome possible. Either kick him off or let him play: there’s no way he’s here next year

That's what I've been saying all along. What he DID, not what he pleaded to, deserves a 1 year suspension at least. I dont agree with sports penalties for theft, bar fights, etc but for something as serious as hitting a woman, THAT deserves a 1 year suspension. But keep him in the program, mentor him. Let him spend time with Penny. Maybe assign a student manager to babysit him and maybe he can turn his life around AND be a really good player. This kid needs roots somewhere

An amicable resolution to all this is:

- Dior allowed to enroll, take classes, and practice with team on scholarship.

- Full season suspension from competition

- Work with Coach Capel and life skills staff on transforming his life and establishing roots here and next season with him, Hinson, the twins, and the freshmen, maybe you have something
Sounds like a redshirt to me.

I don't get the redshirt, either. Unless that was somehow a condition for his return, it makes no sense. What is the gain for anyone in the reshirt scenario?

To serve a 1 year suspension from the team???? Joe Mixon was suspended a year and redshirted in a similar situation where he sucker punched a girl shortly after arriving on campus.

Yeah not to get all negative and a win is a win but neither of our ACC wins would be considered quality wins. That Cuse team still surprised me. I don’t think they are an NIT team. In the end it’s how many top 50 wins and your ACC standing. We don’t have any top 50 wins and there may not be enough opportunities in ACC play.

Yeah not to get all negative and a win is a win but neither of our ACC wins would be considered quality wins. That Cuse team still surprised me. I don’t think they are an NIT team. In the end it’s how many top 50 wins and your ACC standing. We don’t have any top 50 wins and there may not be enough opportunities in ACC play.
NC State’s probably gonna be a Q1 win all year. #53 in kenpom, #37 in Torvik, #56 in the NET. We also have a top 50 win in Northwestern.

I wouldn’t have had him back, but if you’re gonna have him back, play him. This is asinine.

Seems pretty clear to me this was their way of saying we don’t want you to disrupt the team but we acknowledge that kicking him off entirely would be an awful look for the kid. This is the only way they could do right by both the player and the team, as it’s now entirely in Johnson’s court to be a solid citizen. If he screws this up, the program can wash their hands of it entirely

Syracuse is bad but I’m higher on NC State than most. That’s a solid team so I think that win will age quite well for us.

Reactions: Chescat
Some of you guys are forgetting. Being a D1 athlete at any school is a privilege, not a right. Businesses fire people for many reasons, and teams can cut players for many reasons. If you don’t live up to certain expectations why should you be given so many extra chances. If you dump him he learns a lesson, actions have consequences and bad decisions can reduce your opportunities.

Some of you are working overtime to defend this kid or take extra care of him.
He can get all the help he needs and sit on the bench, lose scholarship, or cut him. But stop rewarding bad behavior.

Reactions: HailToPitt1985
Some of you guys are forgetting. Being a D1 athlete at any school is a privilege, not a right. Businesses fire people for many reasons, and teams can cut players for many reasons. If you don’t live up to certain expectations why should you be given so many extra chances. If you dump him he learns a lesson, actions have consequences and bad decisions can reduce your opportunities.

Some of you are working overtime to defend this kid or take extra care of him.
He can get all the help he needs and sit on the bench, lose scholarship, or cut him. But stop rewarding bad behavior.
It is Pitt who has decided that he has met whatever criteria there are for him to be reinstated. What any of us on here think is irrelevant. He will either live up to the opportunity he has been given, or he will not, and be let go.

Is the shirt blown if he steps on the court for one second? I know what football permits a program to do.

The term “Likely” redshirt is interesting! I wonder if there is a set of goals set up that if he attained them he could be back this season???

Having him in practice with his ability to shoot step back jumpers and crossover dribble have to be very valuable to defend and benefit our defense.

A redshirt......A ****in redshirt
Lol by far the worst thing
That could've happened

Reactions: pittjas
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT