ADVERTISEMENT

Dior update

BballinsiderfromPitt

Heisman Winner
Feb 15, 2018
The arraignment is today and per sources he is taking a plea deal Friday. That doesn’t mean he’s automatically reinstated. He will still need to pass a university review, in which they supposedly won’t convene until mid January, to return to the university and campus. So it would seem to be a long shot that he plays this year. But I guess ya never know

Reactions: cabe23 and Drew1208
The arraignment is today and per sources he is taking a plea deal Friday. That doesn’t mean he’s automatically reinstated. He will still need to pass a university review, in which they supposedly won’t convene until mid January, to return to the university and campus. So it would seem to be a long shot that he plays this year. But I guess ya never know

Supposedly he’s going to be back in a few weeks.

OK. Appreciate the info. On the university review convening in mid-January, something I’ve learned over many years is that there can be exceptions to anything.

Certainly not saying that will happen here. But there can always be exceptions if circumstances are deemed to merit them.

Supposedly he’s going to be back in a few weeks.
Imagine he’s been working out on his own to stay in physical condition? So wouldn’t think that should be a huge barrier.

As far as assimilating into what is required to actually play and blend in with the current team? That’d be up to the HC and DJ’s own determination.

I would expect any determination on his future here to be made within a week of the conclusion of his legal matters. Pitt isn't going to wait a month until unless he isnt playing and that meeting is just a formality.

Reactions: pittjas
Won’t hold my breath but pg depth would help a lot

Da, you better hold it if you're goin' through that there, uh, Squirrels Hill Tunnel. Gotta wish the Brahns don't even win the Super Bowl.

AMLnZu9hOb_SaUcTAy1cKS_NP8dLvS2y7DksjxRP7TbV=s900-c-k-c0x00ffffff-no-rj

This seems pretty reasonable.

I haven't any "very good sources" on this but I was told two different things about 6 weeks ago from some folks who are pretty connected, or at least more than I.

One person said they can't see how he ever plays at Pitt again, while the other said point blank that he would be back right after he has his hearings.

So yeah, I guess you never know until you know.

What is this - Revenge of the Nerds?
Just reinstate the guy like they did with Hayes.

It's amazing how stuff gets posted here or the pay board and an hour or two later the same thing is posted on Twitter by someone.
Lol I’m not even positive the review board stuff is true, that was just the rumor I have been told by people that I trust.

I have also heard what @DT_PITT had heard and there was no shot he’d be back, but that seemed dubious. With a plea you would think there would be a path back.

Maybe some of the actual details of what really happened might come out and any decisions on his future should be based on
that !
Maybe not, if he pleas to a deal the only "fact" would be "guilty of _______________________" (name the crime) would it not? Which one would suppose not to be a barrier to his return, in today's culture.

Maybe not, if he pleas to a deal the only "fact" would be "guilty of _______________________" (name the crime) would it not? Which one would suppose not to be a barrier to his return, in today's culture.

My take is if he agrees to a plea, then there is some admission there that he was violent toward the girl. In that case, I think a full season suspension is warranted if he isnt kicked off altogether. However, Capel is coaching for his job and if he feels Dior can get him to the NIT (assuming that's enough to save it), then I could see Capel welcoming him back immediately. Honestly, I don't think the "Pitt review board" does anything here but sign off, if anything. The decision will be Capel and Lyke's.

Reactions: Purdue_Panther
My take is if he agrees to a plea, then there is some admission there that he was violent toward the girl. In that case, I think a full season suspension is warranted if he isnt kicked off altogether. However, Capel is coaching for his job and if he feels Dior can get him to the NIT (assuming that's enough to save it), then I could see Capel welcoming him back immediately. Honestly, I don't think the "Pitt review board" does anything here but sign off, if anything. The decision will be Capel and Lyke's.
If the state of PA thinks he should be allowed to go about his life, why should anyone else feel differently? I am having a really hard time understanding what this has to do with basketball.

If the state of PA thinks he should be allowed to go about his life, why should anyone else feel differently? I am having a really hard time understanding what this has to do with basketball.

I agree with that in every instance EXCEPT for what I consider to be serious crimes and domestic violence is one of those. I said that Pitt shouldn't have even suspended Hugley and Horton at all. But beating up a girl is different.

So the end justifies the means with Capel, if he wants to keep his job. Is that what sports is now?

A full season suspension is the minimum punishment, if he plea bargains.

I agree with that in every instance EXCEPT for what I consider to be serious crimes and domestic violence is one of those. I said that Pitt shouldn't have even suspended Hugley and Horton at all. But beating up a girl is different.
Sure, but serious crimes restrict freedom. If the state can’t make the case it is a serious crime, who are you or I to do so?

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
So the end justifies the means with Capel, if he wants to keep his job. Is that what sports is now?

It’s what sports always is .
It’s going to get pled down because the state can’t make the felony case
Shut it

Of course no right exists. However, if he can’t play basketball, he can’t really move on with his life, can he? Sorry, I have way more faith in the state to prosecute serious crimes than I do a coach or University board. And if you don’t, your problem ought to be with our justice system, not the school.

Sure he can move on with his life. He won't be in prison and probably just have probation. He can go to school, get a degree and get a job once he graduates. If he can't play some game, it won't be the end of his life, unless he is seriously limited in what skills he has or can develop.

The University can deem any punishment they desire, separate from what the state does. The University is not mandated to do anything by the state. We don't live in Russia, as far as I know.

Reactions: MarshallGoldberg
Sure he can move on with his life. He won't be in prison and probably just have probation. He can go to school, get a degree and get a job once he graduates. If he can't play some game, it won't be the end of his life, unless he is seriously limited in what skills he has or can develop.

The University can deem any punishment they desire, separate from what the state does. The University is not mandated to do anything by the state. We don't live in Russia, as far as I know.
Why would the university punish him ?!?

Reactions: PeetWeet2

I find it really strange that many people hold athletes, teenage athletes to higher standards than they do our elected officials.

I find it really strange that many people hold athletes, teenage athletes to higher standards than they do our elected officials.

I do, too. But that's a totally different discussion that we're not allowed to have on this board. But I get your point and agree. If we did hold our elected officials to the same standards as athletes, most of them would be in jail.

Reactions: Jim Z
Why would the university punish him ?!?
Maybe it's semantics but I don't view saying "you aren't on this basketball team" as a punishment in the same sense that jail time, probation, community service, etc are. Or maybe what I mean is it's a loss of an incredible privilege, not the loss of a right. Pitt has no legal or moral responsibility to let anyone play sports on its dime.

Also a basketball team needs good chemistry. An amalgamation of disjointed talent will lose games. Maybe Dior would be a great fit on this team but I'm open to the reality he could mess crap up (we have 5th and 6th year guards/wings playing well -- the biggest problem has surprisingly been Hugely/interior play) and since he went to 10 high schools and committed to three universities, that he is likely to transfer out no matter what Pitt does anyway.

If he's back, so be it, and hope it works out. But I will have zero concern if he never plays a minute here and transfers again since that's his MO.

Maybe it's semantics but I don't view saying "you aren't on this basketball team" as a punishment in the same sense that jail time, probation, community service, etc are. Or maybe what I mean is it's a loss of an incredible privilege, not the loss of a right. Pitt has no legal or moral responsibility to let anyone play sports on its dime.

Also a basketball team needs good chemistry. An amalgamation of disjointed talent will lose games. Maybe Dior would be a great fit on this team but I'm open to the reality he could mess crap up (we have 5th and 6th year guards/wings playing well -- the biggest problem has surprisingly been Hugely/interior play) and since he went to 10 high schools and committed to three universities, that he is likely to transfer out no matter what Pitt does anyway.

If he's back, so be it, and hope it works out. But I will have zero concern if he never plays a minute here and transfers again since that's his MO.

Well said! Exactly my thoughts. The University can make that decision to not allow him on the team, and that is their right. They don't owe it to Dior to permit him to be on any of their athletic teams, including basketball. Your concerns for team chemistry are also well-founded, and I agree.

I do, too. But that's a totally different discussion that we're not allowed to have on this board. But I get your point and agree. If we did hold our elected officials to the same standards as athletes, most of them would be in jail.
Nah they wouldnt
Just a handful of overtly criminal ones

Reactions: Franb
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT