ADVERTISEMENT

Dixon puts up yet another 50-burger in the NCAAs

I wish Jamie well. Syracuse clearly had more talent. Jamie has really gotten a lot out of the kids he inherited at TCU. But he’s going to need to get more talent to have the success he had at Pitt.

yeah TCU definitely had the better team I don't know what the hell happened. Syracuse made some really tough shots down the stretch.

The players feed off their coach. The nervous anxiety is dripping off Dixon and Bennett in the NCAA tournament. They are very good coaches during the regular season, but are too tight at tournament time.

I wish Jamie well. Syracuse clearly had more talent. Jamie has really gotten a lot out of the kids he inherited at TCU. But he’s going to need to get more talent to have the success he had at Pitt.

He can work his way up to getting upset in the second and third rounds!

Reactions: Delpanther
I think most people would understand Syracuse is a blue blood with elite talent that underachieves in the regular season...but has the talent to turn it on come tourney time

I think most people would understand Syracuse is a blue blood with elite talent that underachieves in the regular season...but has the talent to turn it on come tourney time

TCU was a 4.5 point favorite, despite missing probably their most important player.

Reactions: 4Mark_Marty
Dixon left a 21-win Pitt team to take over a 12-win TCU team, which many Pitt fans said would take him years to ever get back to the tournament -- which they hadn't done since 1998. Well there's TCU in the tourney (only 3rd time in 45 years, so kind of a big deal), 1 year after winning the NIT, and here are the Pitt fans still talking crap about him.

I don’t think there’s anything clear about that at all. This is probably the least talented team Boeheim has had in 30 years, starting with the fact that he’s only 6 deep and none of them can shoot.

You’ll have to come up with a better excuse for that absolute turd TCU just laid.

Reactions: 4Mark_Marty
Is it now illegal to spread the guards, then pass the ball into the high post, then turn and attack a zone with higher percentage shots?

When did it become vogue to have your CENTER set a screen out PAST the 3-point line and against a ZONE defense?

Here's a novel thought...when it is the last minute of the game and your team is behind by 2 or more possesions, push the ball and try to score QUICKLY in transition.

And to think I was already totally frustrated by watching a team all year pass the ball around the perimeter before chucking up a 3 point prayer before the shot clock expired.

TCU's play down the stretch was just as horrendous to watch.

Jamie knows how to beat that zone but his players looked uncomfortable with it right from the start. There's a reason Syracuse has had some unexpected deep runs. Seeing UVA go down I'm not sure I'd be shocked if Cuse upset MSU.

The players feed off their coach. The nervous anxiety is dripping off Dixon and Bennett in the NCAA tournament. They are very good coaches during the regular season, but are too tight at tournament time.
So that's why Arizona can't get to the final four! Could imagine looking over at that!?
DW9uSP7VAAEEzHg.jpg

Reactions: freddietee511

Typically yes.

But anyone who hs watched basketball all year knows that TCU had the better overall team.

Typically yes.

But anyone who hs watched basketball all year knows that TCU had the better overall team.
Both were middle of the pack performers in good conferences.

Tcu has been a live by the 3 die by the team this year.

They shot 17.6% in the game compared to 37% on the season from 3.

And cuse neutralized them on the boards.

That’s the game in two bullet points

Is it now illegal to spread the guards, then pass the ball into the high post, then turn and attack a zone with higher percentage shots?

When did it become vogue to have your CENTER set a screen out PAST the 3-point line and against a ZONE defense?

Here's a novel thought...when it is the last minute of the game and your team is behind by 2 or more possesions, push the ball and try to score QUICKLY in transition.

And to think I was already totally frustrated by watching a team all year pass the ball around the perimeter before chucking up a 3 point prayer before the shot clock expired.

TCU's play down the stretch was just as horrendous to watch.
My thinking exactly. What happened to the high low post game with screening, cutting, and ball reversal to the open shooters? Dixon was a master of running that stuff while in his best days at Pitt.

And why do you think their 3 point shooting percentage was so poor against Syracuse? Just a bad night? Bad luck?

They were smothered and could barely breathe out there the whole game. Everything was contested. The SU length killed them. And for some reason they abandoned the zone-busting principles that Dixon used to employ so effectively in the old BE.

I doubt Jaylen Fisher would have made much difference in this one. He would have been just as flummoxed by hist first look at that zone as any of his teammates.

Reactions: frankarms299
And why do you think their 3 point shooting percentage was so poor against Syracuse? Just a bad night? Bad luck?

They were smothered and could barely breathe out there the whole game. Everything was contested. The SU length killed them. And for some reason they abandoned the zone-busting principles that Dixon used to employ so effectively in the old BE.

I doubt Jaylen Fisher would have made much difference in this one. He would have been just as flummoxed by hist first look at that zone as any of his teammates.
Good defense by cuse and they missed plenty of open looks
Their ball movement wasn’t good.

Boeheim out-coached him?

Despite any instructions they surely got, I don't think the TCU players were comfortable against that zone. The zone buster frequently kept throwing it out for a 3 instead of turning and taking an open ten footer or getting the zone to collapse.

Reactions: freddietee511
TCU didn't attack the zone the way Pitt did. Pitt used to do the pass/cut away, pass/cut away with three guards high while a big went high low and another ran the base line. 20 seconds later they'd have a lay up. Not sure if it was a change of game plan, or, more likely, TCU players weren't able to execute the plan and free lanced ineffectively.

Reactions: JRPITT
Cuse has less talent than TCU, an old washed up done coach but they outplayed and out coached Dixon's TCU.

Pitt got the get rid of Dixon part right and "train wrecked" the replace Dixon part.

It's important to know how to finish!

"It's five o'clock somewhere"
Signed: Mr Buffett
Go PITT & CSU Rams!

TCU averaged 82 points a game. IN the end, this reminded me of that last game Dixon coached here when Pitt had the defensively challenged teams with offensive minded guys and struggled to make it into the 40's.

Now I am not sure if Jamie just took the reigns off these guys and they were more a product of the wider open Big 12, or they legitimately paced the game faster.

But at the end, it comes tourney time, and a Dixon team tightened up offensively. Shot poorly. That isn't an accident.

TCU averaged 82 points a game. IN the end, this reminded me of that last game Dixon coached here when Pitt had the defensively challenged teams with offensive minded guys and struggled to make it into the 40's.

Now I am not sure if Jamie just took the reigns off these guys and they were more a product of the wider open Big 12, or they legitimately paced the game faster.

But at the end, it comes tourney time, and a Dixon team tightened up offensively. Shot poorly. That isn't an accident.

There's almost no arguement against your last line. Something happens to Dixon's teams in the tournament.

There's almost no arguement against your last line. Something happens to Dixon's teams in the tournament.

TCU also really struggled to stop a single player - Brissett - from creating his own shot and beating them down the stretch in a close game. That's something Pitt typically struggled with also in the NCAAT under JD.

With Dolezaj having fouled out, the Orange went pretty much exclusively to Brissett for their scoring late. Even with the advantage of no Dolezaj for SU at that point, TCU failed to prevent Brissett from taking over.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT