ADVERTISEMENT

Do Pickett a favor

a good qb makes a bad run game good, or a good run game great. i dont like the argument, well if PIckett had this run game, he'd be playing better. a lot of this recent success has to do with hitting some deep balls and being a threat to throw it downfield.

if you dont have that, if a defense has zero fear of you hitting some passes down field, then your run game and OL are going to suffer dramatically.

Lets face facts, no Defensive coordinator in the NFL fears Kenny hitting deep balls behind their DBs.. an occasional back shoulder throw to Pickens once every other game isnt instilling fear into NFL defenses.
Bro got back and watch both games since Canada got axed. Pickett had passes of 30 yards or more in both. Big difference is Rudy is only throwing like 20 passes a game and they are mostly deep shots...well timed at that.
I was a die hard Steelers fan growing up (Big Ben era) but when I saw the city shit on a HOF QB at the end of his career, I knew the KP experiment wouldn't end well.

I'm a Pitt fan first. Steelers second. My fandom has completely dwindled with the media and fan reaction over Pickett. I won't argue his play left a lot to be desired, but everyone is burying the kid. I can't stand it. It bugs the shit out of me.

I hope the Steelers lose on Mason Rudolphs watch. I hope the dude completely fumbles the bag. No grudge against Mason, I just want Steelers fans to be miserable.
I have to admit. This situation caused me to abandon my Steelers fandom as much as they complain about Philly fans and Boston fans Steeler fans are just as annoying spoiled and insufferable I don't want to be associated with that anymore. If Kenny somehow ends up becoming the starting quarterback again I will root for his success but as an organization the Steelers are not what they used to be in the seventies I think they're poorly ran I think they're coaching leaves a lot to be desired and in general they're riding off the success of decades ago.

If he was playing at an acceptable level they couldn't trash him, he deserves to be trashed for poor play.
Has he played well? No. Does he deserve a clean slate with a new OC next year? Yes. Has the OL been any good most of the year No. They have recently played better. Has the running game been good most of the year? No. Have they played well recently? Yes, because the OL is playing better.

Pickett has one major flaw that needs to be fixed during the off season. He needs to stay in the pocket and finish his reads quicker. That can be fixed with better coaching. If that can't be fixed next year, then the Steelers will move on and acknowledge they made a bad pick. Then we can all watch Pickett go somewhere else and become a much better player, like Green, Conner, and Dotson.

Has he played well? No. Does he deserve a clean slate with a new OC next year? Yes. Has the OL been any good most of the year No. They have recently played better. Has the running game been good most of the year? No. Have they played well recently? Yes, because the OL is playing better.

Pickett has one major flaw that needs to be fixed during the off season. He needs to stay in the pocket and finish his reads quicker. That can be fixed with better coaching. If that can't be fixed next year, then the Steelers will move on and acknowledge they made a bad pick. Then we can all watch Pickett go somewhere else and become a much better player, like Green, Conner, and Dotson.
The pocket flaw is going to be very difficult to fix because it's been a major issue for him for about 6 years now. It's fixable, but I would almost argue it's more of a mentality of a player not wanting to take hits rather than an easy fix with coaching. You could tell Pickett didn't trust his line or receivers and the less trust there is, the quicker he bails.

You could tell Pickett didn't trust his line or receivers and the less trust there is, the quicker he bails.
Can you blame him? In general he’s faced a lot of jail breaks against better defenses. That will give any Qb happy feet.

I do agree with your general statement that he needs better pocket presence. But he’s shown that in his last year at Pitt when the line was better and he had more weapons to throw to.

The fact that he’s been able to gather himself and stand in the pocket and take some massive hits in the forth quarter comebacks indicates he can improve

Reactions: lilspainishflea
He is/was a prime example of a QB getting too much credit, especially in that era.
Because of the offensive talent around him? Ok, who did he play with? Is Franco in the conversation as one of the top 5 RB's ever , top 10? Stallworth/Swann, do their names come up on the list of top 10 receivers of all time? From 1970-1982 only 5 times offensive players were voted MVP by the team, Bradshaw was the only offensive player voted in twice,, so he got 2 out of 5, he was the straw that stirred the drink, his teammates,(not the media / fans,) still always speak in good terms of him. He is deserving of a lot of credit.

P.S. '77,'78 Team voted him the MVP, '79,'80 Superbowl MVP....let the board know the next time a Steeler receives any combo of these awards in four straight years....

Last edited:
Reactions: DruidTM
Hey Guy, Your trolling is old. We know you are a Nitter. Go to their board.
The only thing more Jan Brady than accusing Steeler fans who are criticizing Kenny Pickett as being Hoopies or Nitters is calling someone who has been on this board with the same handle since it began a Nitter. Go pet Tiger and get a cupcake from Alice. You’re truly pitthetic.

• Haha
Reactions: Pitt79 and Mikefln
This situation has me reminiscing about when Chuck Noll asked Bubby Brister to enter a game late where the Steelers were losing badly enough that they could not come back to win in relief of an ineffective Neil O'Donnell. Brister told Noll "I don't mop up for anybody" and refused to enter the game.

The following week portions of the fan base seemed to be celebrating the action by Brister with signs smattered around 3 Rivers stadium supporting "Bubby's Bucket Brigade" that repeated the tag line about not mopping up for someone else.

Depending on what you believe about the Pickett story( I tend to believe people are going out of their way to make it sound worse then what really happened so there is an easier out for replacing Pickett if his play doesn't improve); two different cases of a guy not handling losing his starting job with the highest level of professionalism.

I get they are different situations, but the contrast of in one case fans wanting to end the guy's career when the alternative option is playing well; and in the other case the fans wanting to elevate the guy to folk hero status when the alternative is playing terribly is pretty sharp.

The pocket flaw is going to be very difficult to fix because it's been a major issue for him for about 6 years now.
Well, first step is to get him a reliable pocket to throw from. Second is to run an offense that isn’t full of vanilla routes like the play that got Rudolph sacked on Sunday. I think we’re supposed to point out he had a guy wide open to dump it to but we only do that to KP. Anyway, Jesus probably couldn’t have made that play because the play design sucked and the pocket collapsed way faster than what should be reasonably expected.

You’re not wrong but the problems run way deeper than just one position. We’ve seen WR’s quit, RB’s miss holes, TE’s get tossed around like rag dolls because they’re being expected to block one-on-one against stud DE’s, and route combinations that HS kids can cover. It took 17 weeks to get to where they don’t look like complete ass.

KP may never be a starting NFL QB but this mess took a while to create. It’s not going to be unscrewed in a couple of weeks. The hyperbole and made up BS by idiots just serves to make it all worse.

Well, first step is to get him a reliable pocket to throw from. Second is to run an offense that isn’t full of vanilla routes like the play that got Rudolph sacked on Sunday. I think we’re supposed to point out he had a guy wide open to dump it to but we only do that to KP. Anyway, Jesus probably couldn’t have made that play because the play design sucked and the pocket collapsed way faster than what should be reasonably expected.

You’re not wrong but the problems run way deeper than just one position. We’ve seen WR’s quit, RB’s miss holes, TE’s get tossed around like rag dolls because they’re being expected to block one-on-one against stud DE’s, and route combinations that HS kids can cover. It took 17 weeks to get to where they don’t look like complete ass.

KP may never be a starting NFL QB but this mess took a while to create. It’s not going to be unscrewed in a couple of weeks. The hyperbole and made up BS by idiots just serves to make it all worse.
Pickett has a lot of clean pockets that he leaves. I'm not sure why there's this big misconception that he never has a clean pocket to work from. The Friday night offense is an issue, but when the plays are there he needs to make them more consistently. He can clearly play at this level, he just hasn't shown much so far to indicate that he'll be a good starter without a lot of help.

Pickett has a lot of clean pockets that he leaves. I'm not sure why there's this big misconception that he never has a clean pocket to work from. The Friday night offense is an issue, but when the plays are there he needs to make them more consistently. He can clearly play at this level, he just hasn't shown much so far to indicate that he'll be a good starter without a lot of help.
Who said he never has a clean pocket. Talk about making shit up to fit you’re narrative.

What has been said is that the protection hasn’t been very consistent for KP He’s taken a bunch of hits from jail breaks. That in turn will result in a qb having happy feet.

Against Cinci and St. Louis he was better in that area. (In addition to improved play calling ). Rudy has not faced the jail brekas KP has. Admittedly he’s also hung in there better than KP but some of that is that he hasn’t taken a beating….yet

Again no one is debating KP needs to improve his pocket presence. The question is how much of the current problem is caused by facing jail breaks versus just not good enough. You don’t make fourth quarter comebacks like he has without having some moxie

Reactions: lilspainishflea
Who said he never has a clean pocket. Talk about making shit up to fit you’re narrative.

What has been said is that the protection hasn’t been very consistent for KP He’s taken a bunch of hits from jail breaks. That in turn will result in a qb having happy feet.

Against Cinci and St. Louis he was better in that area. (In addition to improved play calling ). Rudy has not faced the jail brekas KP has. Admittedly he’s also hung in there better than KP but some of that is that he hasn’t taken a beating….yet

Again no one is debating KP needs to improve his pocket presence. The question is how much of the current problem is caused by facing jail breaks versus just not good enough. You don’t make fourth quarter comebacks like he has without having some moxie
Look at some of the excuses fans make up for Pickett. They absolutely argue he has the worst OL in the league and awful pass protection all the time. I've seen people say everyone just started to play better the past two weeks. I mean, come on.

Considering Pickett has always had happy feet, it's more of a Pickett issue than a team issue. DK or one of the writers on the site highlighted a bunch of plays when Pickett left a clean pocket. Again, I've seen fans say the pockets were breaking down or bad.

Not a direct comparison, but Penix masterfully navigating the pocket last night to create throws. Rudolph made possibly his best throw on I believe a third and seven when he just stood in the pocket and hit Pickens deep while getting hit. That's the type of pocket presence we need to see consistently from Pickett.

Madden and Kaboly leading the charge… look like two barflies… lol

maxresdefault.jpg
There's just something seriously wrong with the caption "The Athletic" on that picture.

Reactions: DruidTM
The only thing more Jan Brady than accusing Steeler fans who are criticizing Kenny Pickett as being Hoopies or Nitters is calling someone who has been on this board with the same handle since it began a Nitter. Go pet Tiger and get a cupcake from Alice. You’re truly pitthetic.
No you are a nitter troll....now I'll 😂🤣😅

They absolutely argue he has the worst OL in the league

Ah because he does. Mason Cole , Moore and until
Recently Chucks okafor say hello

. I've seen people say everyone just started to play better the past two weeks. I mean, come on.

Uh they have. Look at the running game numbers. They’ve played awful teams. You refuse to admit KP played much better again net Cinci and St Louis too. Because it doesn’t fit your narrative

Considering Pickett has always had happy feet, i

Yeah that’s not much of an exageratuon
Rudolph made possibly his best throw on I believe a third and seven when he just stood in the pocket and hit Pickens deep while getting hit. That's the type of pocket presence we need to see consistently from Pickett.
Kps is more than capable of making those throws as he has often times with the game on the line. Does he neee to get better sure

Ah because he does. Mason Cole , Moore and until
Recently Chucks okafor say hello

. I've seen people say everyone just started to play better the past two weeks. I mean, come on.

Uh they have. Look at the running game numbers. They’ve played awful teams. You refuse to admit KP played much better again net Cinci and St Louis too. Because it doesn’t fit your narrative

Yeah that’s not much of an exageratuon

Kps is more than capable of making those throws as he has often times with the game on the line. Does he neee to get better sure
Sacks allowed isn’t the be all to end all stat when grading OL’s, but it’s worth noting that the Steelers have only allowed 33 sacks this year, which is only the 24th most in the league. Conversely the Giants have allowed 83, which is the most by a wide, wide margin.

The Steelers OL isn’t very good, but it’s nowhere near the worst.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
Sacks allowed isn’t the be all to end all stat when grading OL’s, but it’s worth noting that the Steelers have only allowed 33 sacks this year, which is only the 24th most in the league. Conversely the Giants have allowed 83, which is the most by a wide, wide margin.

They’re right up there with pressure percentage so that just means the QB’s are getting rid of the ball. I will say that the play calling hasn’t exactly been mysterious for most of the season so that really doesn’t help anyone on the OL, either.

Reactions: FireballZ
Just saying, if you wanted to keep them, they were basically your prisoner and had no leverage to negotiate pay.
Lambert showed his leverage by threatening to retire. The Steelers caved and gave him what was then a huge contract. It was different back then and the owners made less than one player makes now. Still you don't give up on a QB after 20 starts. KP will play in the NFL at least 3 more years and if he improves and the running game is what it was against Seattle who knows.

Reactions: pittdan77

Some of that has to do with the conservative dink and dunk approach under Canada as well as pickets mobility to escape (sometimes too soon)

You let Rudolph finish out the season as starter, he’s definitely earned it. And you bring him back to have a full competition for the starting job next season with KP and see who wilts under pressure. I doubt KP has a problem with such a scenario but if he does, you ship him out and try to recoup a draft pick or two. And then bring in a legitimate NFL backup with skill who can push for the starting job (someone in the mold of Minshew or Brissett…not Trubisky).

KP hasn’t earned anything to date. I want him to succeed given he’s a Pitt guy but I also don’t have my Pitt blinders on.

You let Rudolph finish out the season as starter, he’s definitely earned it. And you bring him back to have a full competition for the starting job next season with KP and see who wilts under pressure. I doubt KP has a problem with such a scenario but if he does, you ship him out and try to recoup a draft pick or two. And then bring in a legitimate NFL backup with skill who can push for the starting job (someone in the mold of Minshew or Brissett…not Trubisky).

KP hasn’t earned anything to date. I want him to succeed given he’s a Pitt guy but I also don’t have my Pitt blinders on.
And to the average stupid Yinzer.... NOT DOBBS!!! :)

yes but all qbs face this. Rudolph is facing this issue. nfl qbs are going to get hit, if they have "happy feet" because they are pressured, well being an nfl qb might not be the right job for them..

of course it's because he's been hit and sacked, every nfl qb has been hit and sacked. if he cant find a way to stay in the pocket and not spin out of it at the first sign of trouble, he will NEVER succeed in the nfl. it's as simple as that.

They’re right up there with pressure percentage so that just means the QB’s are getting rid of the ball. I will say that the play calling hasn’t exactly been mysterious for most of the season so that really doesn’t help anyone on the OL, either.

Another thing that doesn't help the OL is not knowing where your QB is taking off to.

no one wants dobbs. not once have i heard any steeler fan on here, on any blog, on twitter or the radio once ever say they want josh dobbs..
On here no, maybe you haven't, but I've seen many posts on Facebook and Twitter lamenting letting Dobbs go and wanting to bring him back.

On here no, maybe you haven't, but I've seen many posts on Facebook and Twitter lamenting letting Dobbs go and wanting to bring him back.
well we kept and signed mitch while we had dobbs as 3rd string so yeah, in hindsight, a very bad decision by tomlin..

but going forward, bring dobbs back? Lol, no thanks.

Reactions: Pitt79
well we kept and signed mitch while we had dobbs as 3rd string so yeah, in hindsight, a very bad decision by tomlin..

but going forward, bring dobbs back? Lol, no thanks.
I just get the feeling that Yinzers world view always leans towards bringing back people that we had before or are someone local who grew up here, personally I want someone who has no connection to Pittsburgh, especially as a coach, simply because I want total change, total break from all Pittsburgh ideas about the game :).

Another thing that doesn't help the OL is not knowing where your QB is taking off to.
That's a problem everywhere. QB's don't like contact so they just bail. Only way to avoid that is if you have a guy that just heaves it downfield at someone or bails out fast. Trubisky is a "heaver". If you look at some of the running QB's, they love to just take off when they see a running lane.

There's sort of an easy fix for that. You identify where you're getting pressure and your roll your QB away from it. You can also run play action on earlier downs which is something the Steelers didn't start doing until Canada was fired.

Reactions: gary2
Look at some of the excuses fans make up for Pickett. They absolutely argue he has the worst OL in the league and awful pass protection all the time. I've seen people say everyone just started to play better the past two weeks. I mean, come on.

Considering Pickett has always had happy feet, it's more of a Pickett issue than a team issue. DK or one of the writers on the site highlighted a bunch of plays when Pickett left a clean pocket. Again, I've seen fans say the pockets were breaking down or bad.

Not a direct comparison, but Penix masterfully navigating the pocket last night to create throws. Rudolph made possibly his best throw on I believe a third and seven when he just stood in the pocket and hit Pickens deep while getting hit. That's the type of pocket presence we need to see consistently from Pickett.
KP literally had the 5th worst pass block unit when he was hurt. His OL is atrocious.

No surprise that a lot of other less-talented QB who overperformed are playing on teams with top 10 OL (Dobbs in Minnesota, Baker Mayfield and Flacco).

Of the bottom 10 OL, most (except CIN, SF, and maybe SEA) would also replace their QB next year if they could.

KP literally had the 5th worst pass block unit when he was hurt. His OL is atrocious.

No surprise that a lot of other less-talented QB who overperformed are playing on teams with top 10 OL (Dobbs in Minnesota, Baker Mayfield and Flacco).

Of the bottom 10 OL, most (except CIN, SF, and maybe SEA) would also replace their QB next year if they could.
The OL looks better because the offense is at least tweaked enough to do it some favors. Play action on first down is kind of a big deal when everyone in the league knew that wasn't even a consideration in October. One of the more overlooked problems was Najee's ability to run to daylight. NFL teams see that stuff. They pay a lot of money to people to understand tendencies. It's amazing that Steeler QB's not named Mitch saw huge jumps in performance the minute Canada became unemployed. There are still a couple of guys on that unit that need to be swapped out but better plays will help them, too.

Dobbs? no. But Mayfield and Flacco are MORE TALENTED than KENNY.

Dobbs? no. But Mayfield and Flacco are MORE TALENTED than KENNY.
i'd love to see the steelers bring in mayfield this off season to compete of the job. flacco is having a good year but dude is like 40. you dont start a season with him as your man, same as rudolph. you bring him in when your first 3 starting qbs get hurt..

i'd love to see the steelers bring in mayfield this off season to compete of the job. flacco is having a good year but dude is like 40. you dont start a season with him as your man, same as rudolph. you bring him in when your first 3 starting qbs get hurt..
Agree totally with all of that. Flacco is too old, but if I needed a QB for a month right now Flacco > Kenny by far.

Would you be so upset at ''Kenny Hate'' if he was from Penn State or WVU? If he was from one of those schools, he could have 30 TDs and 4000 yards and you'd say he's a pedo hillbilly and sucks, You're only this upset because he's a Pitt Guy.
This is so silly and obviously untrue. A bunch of the "Pickett Lovers" or whatever you want to call us, including me, were and still are extremely pro-JPJ. I was ok taking him with our 1st round pick.

I was high on Pat F last year before he started getting completely destroyed on every block and not playing with 100% effort. I still think he's average.

Again, quit with the strawmen. People who support Kenny don't do so unconditionally. We're asking him to be treated fairly, e.g., don't forget that Mason played like @$$ with Canada, too, and Kenny put up similar stats to Mason post-Canada. He can probably be better with rational coaching and he should get part of 2024 to show that. That's all.

This is so silly and obviously untrue. A bunch of the "Pickett Lovers" or whatever you want to call us, including me, were and still are extremely pro-JPJ. I was ok taking him with our 1st round pick.

I was high on Pat F last year before he started getting completely destroyed on every block and not playing with 100% effort. I still think he's average.

Again, quit with the strawmen. People who support Kenny don't do so unconditionally. We're asking him to be treated fairly, e.g., don't forget that Mason played like @$$ with Canada, too, and Kenny put up similar stats to Mason post-Canada. He can probably be better with rational coaching and he should get part of 2024 to show that. That's all.
I'm not advocating for Rudolph, if he continued to play well for like a dozen more games, I might start to believe in him, but the reason he's treated like a star is, Kenny has been pretty bad for whatever reason, it doesn't matter, lack of downfield passing, yards, TD passes, points and leading the league in 3 & outs has exhausted even his fans. I was a big fan, I even bought a #8 t shirt jersey, I'm just tired of waiting for a breakout performance.

I’m probably the only guy on this board who legitimately has said for the last two years that Mason Rudolph should’ve been the starting quarterback all along. With that being said, the whole issue was why Mike Tomlin and Kevin Colbert even signed Mitch Trubisky in the first place. I’ve said, for the last 2 to 3 years that their process of evaluating quarterbacks, including Mason Rudolph was flawed because they did not have a NFL offense and they didn’t give Mason a quarterback coach his first two years in the NFL. Then you have Mike Tomlin who doesn’t like Mason because he is a pocket passing quarterback and not mobile, so he benched Mason after only 6 bad quarters of football. He then plays duck Hodges, and never goes back to Mason until the end of the year when he gets hurt. So we never got a true evaluation of Mason and Mike Tomlin, because he practices nepotism simply gave up on him because he didn’t like Mason style of play. Fast-forward then to 2022 training camp, where Mason Rudolph out plays both Mitch Trubisky, and Kenny Pickett, but yet is never given reps with the first team offense in the preseason where he would’ve shown that he was better than both of those quarterbacks by miles, the same way he did in practice. Mason could’ve been a guy who was a starter for 10 years here but Tomlin’s flawed qb evaluations and ego made the Steelers waste money and waste a draft pick when they could’ve been building the team around Mason. This is why Mike Tomlin should be fire or at the very least lose a lot of power in terms of making personnel decisions. Yinzers don’t know what they’re looking at when they evaluate quarterbacks so that’s why they’re gonna turn on Kenny at the drop of a dime, but this problem begin with Tomlin.

I’m probably the only guy on this board who legitimately has said for the last two years that Mason Rudolph should’ve been the starting quarterback all along. With that being said, the whole issue was why Mike Tomlin and Kevin Colbert even signed Mitch Trubisky in the first place. I’ve said, for the last 2 to 3 years that their process of evaluating quarterbacks, including Mason Rudolph was flawed because they did not have a NFL offense and they didn’t give Mason a quarterback coach his first two years in the NFL. Then you have Mike Tomlin who doesn’t like Mason because he is a pocket passing quarterback and not mobile, so he benched Mason after only 6 bad quarters of football. He then plays duck Hodges, and never goes back to Mason until the end of the year when he gets hurt. So we never got a true evaluation of Mason and Mike Tomlin, because he practices nepotism simply gave up on him because he didn’t like Mason style of play. Fast-forward then to 2022 training camp, where Mason Rudolph out plays both Mitch Trubisky, and Kenny Pickett, but yet is never given reps with the first team offense in the preseason where he would’ve shown that he was better than both of those quarterbacks by miles, the same way he did in practice. Mason could’ve been a guy who was a starter for 10 years here but Tomlin’s flawed qb evaluations and ego made the Steelers waste money and waste a draft pick when they could’ve been building the team around Mason. This is why Mike Tomlin should be fire or at the very least lose a lot of power in terms of making personnel decisions. Yinzers don’t know what they’re looking at when they evaluate quarterbacks so that’s why they’re gonna turn on Kenny at the drop of a dime, but this problem begin with Tomlin.
You're talking about the same guy that almost didn't get signed by anyone during the offseason?

It’s okay as a Pitt fan to be honest about what we have seen from Pickett. Even given his sub-optimal situation, you would hope to see more flashes. Maybe a reset in another city is what he needs. He’s at least a very serviceable career backup.

Reactions: CaptainMurphy
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT