ADVERTISEMENT

Do you guys even care about Pitt news?!

In terms of one individual player, sure. Maybe we did all we can and simply couldn't compete this time.

But we're going to have a hard time breaking out of the .500 middling level without landing more of the top local talent generally, which is what a lot of the reaction is to.

Extending Narduzzi for stability was a good move, but ultimately an ability or inability to get more of the top local talent, or to supplement it with better talent from other pipelines (which is the harder of the two things to do historically!) is going to determine his success. It's very hard to grab 4 star players from Florida consistently enough to make up for missing on the ones we actually have left in our home state.

It all boils down to how successful he can be as head coach at Pitt. If Narduzzi can win more than his recruiting levels, then recruiting will get better, which means he can win even more, which should increase recruiting success, etc. However, he has to be able to coach first, put the right players in the right spots, coach them on how to be most effective, game plan to win and adjust as the game goes on.

Then who’s been our best lineman? All were starters as freshman and sophomores. It’s not like we have a ton of NFL lineman playing.

Everyone were good college football players. Which is all that matters to me. I mean just two years ago we had a Oline that was ranked in the top 5.

Jacobsen because of injury wasn't a good college football player. Thomas and Nix one good year each.I

O'Neill was better than those three. JJS would have been, and if you want you can easily name multiple other guys. You named 7 guys, two were really good, two were DL recruits, and three were OK. Point not exactly made, but I do agree, ideally you want higher ranked guys obviously

They
Jacobsen because of injury wasn't a good college football player. Thomas and Nix one good year each.I

O'Neill was better than those three. JJS would have been, and if you want you can easily name multiple other guys. You named 7 guys, two were really good, two were DL recruits, and three were OK. Point not exactly made, but I do agree, ideally you want higher ranked guys obviously
They were all 3 or 4 year starters. All were at least 3rd team all conference type players during their time at Pitt. Which is a productive college career in my opinion. I don’t care if they made the pro’s or not.

Name a olineman that was recruited as a olineman that was as good as them. Who didn’t have many offers.

Don’t name JJ Smith he had a ton of offers so did Officer.

Good Riddance! I could care less about this kid. If a PiTT diploma and local ties to the University are not enough for him, and Pitt can't get him to the NFL, then I am glad he is going to ND. I hope he enjoys playing for that screaming red-faced idiot. I hope he and the Jurkoff go out there and flame out. I wish we could just not discuss these WPIAL kids who spurn PITT to be Golden Domers! Lets talk about kids who want to play here, and ignore the locals who fall in love with the tradition of ND. It is only the name that attracts at this point, when was the last time they were nationally relevant? Oh yeah, wasn't that long ago..... Pitt had them beat that year and left them off the hook and Alabama bitch-slapped them all over the field proving they didn't belong anywhere near the national title game. Prior to that, you have to go back a ways.

They are pretty accurate. Why do you think teams like Clemson, FSU, OSU, Alabama, Georgia and others compete for championships every 3 or 4 years. Simply they get the most highly recruited players every year. The only way a team that recruits in the top 10 every year is no good is because they didn’t recruit a difference maker at QB or they are horribly coached
Don’t forget Penn State. Top 5 class last year, well on their way the next two years...

If he is going to ND as a lineman they must think he is pretty good because they put lineman in the NFL almost every year. I wish he was coming to PITT, for some reason we are having a hard time with the local kids. Oh well maybe the Duzz didn't see him as others did and didn't go after him hard enough.

that's not pitt news, it's notre dame news

Agree a local kid signing elsewhere why is that Pitt news or any news at all that I care about. I care about Pitt getting the best kids they can and if we had 25 Florida kids on the roster we'll be better off.

Reactions: FireballZ
Reactions: sherepower
Agree a local kid signing elsewhere why is that Pitt news or any news at all that I care about. I care about Pitt getting the best kids they can and if we had 25 Florida kids on the roster we'll be better off.

Well we're not going to get 25 high level Florida kids because they can play for Miami, Florida State, Florida, USF, UCF, Alabama, Georgia, Clemson, and so on. If we can get 5, that'd be nice, and seems possible. Walt used that model to an extent but there are limits.

The driving distance players do matter the most and have been the majority of our roster, like that of most schools...forever.

Ohio state and Notre Dame offered Carter Warren?

Lincoln Hawk if we are just naming names for fun

Do they need to have brown hair and go to Pine Richland too? I picked a similar OL recruit with a good offer list.

Keep track of how many linemen not local, with these offers, we get on campus.

It won’t be many. We have a better shot to land local kids. We should have a better shot to land legacy local kids. We get an olinemen with an OSU and Notre Dame offer from Maryland or Virginia I’ll say you’re right.

I guess I dont get too uptight over guys we lose. Im more concerned about the direction of the program and the talent currently on the team and who the get once LOI day is over. I thought this past years class was decent and is good enough to keep the program headed in a positive direction.

GIven the dumpster fire that was left by Smiley, and 30 years of mediocre to awful football, I think its unreasonable to expect some miraculous recruiting results. The local kids have seen the program up close and personal and have been exposed to the negative media more so that kids who live outside the region and have not been jaundiced by that.

For me, I like where DUzz has this thing headed. I think the talent on the defensive side of the ball is as good as its been in a long time. The most important position on the field is as good as its been since Walt was recruiting. The next 2-3 years are critical. If this team improves over that time, I think we'll get more of the kids like this one who passed on Pitt.

Reactions: DiehardPanther
I guess I dont get too uptight over guys we lose. Im more concerned about the direction of the program and the talent currently on the team and who the get once LOI day is over. I thought this past years class was decent and is good enough to keep the program headed in a positive direction.

GIven the dumpster fire that was left by Smiley, and 30 years of mediocre to awful football, I think its unreasonable to expect some miraculous recruiting results. The local kids have seen the program up close and personal and have been exposed to the negative media more so that kids who live outside the region and have not been jaundiced by that.

For me, I like where DUzz has this thing headed. I think the talent on the defensive side of the ball is as good as its been in a long time. The most important position on the field is as good as its been since Walt was recruiting. The next 2-3 years are critical. If this team improves over that time, I think we'll get more of the kids like this one who passed on Pitt.

Totally agree on your 3rd paragraph, 100%

Good Riddance! I could care less about this kid. If a PiTT diploma and local ties to the University are not enough for him, and Pitt can't get him to the NFL, then I am glad he is going to ND. I hope he enjoys playing for that screaming red-faced idiot. I hope he and the Jurkoff go out there and flame out. I wish we could just not discuss these WPIAL kids who spurn PITT to be Golden Domers! Lets talk about kids who want to play here, and ignore the locals who fall in love with the tradition of ND. .

1. * "couldn't" care less.

2. This "I only want the kids that want to play for my program" mentality is how you regulate yourself to mediocrity. If teams only took the players that wanted to play for them, there would be no reason to "recruit." Recruiting is by its nature, winning over people that aren't necessarily inclined to join you. That have to be convinced to get on board.
It's the coaches job to convince players to get on board. The fact that you "could care less" that they are failing to do that with a local recruit with more connections to Pitt than would could dream, is kinda crazy.

Reactions: Jpripper88
Eric Kasperowitz.
No. He’s universally hated.

See that’s the thing. We are so envious of success, that we put down those that are. Other coaches can’t stand him.

HS coaches here also believe they as well as their players could thrive at Pitt. Take DiNucci for example. They can’t, in reality, so they cast shade upon Pitt and hope they fail so that they can say, see, I was right. Just like a lot of posters here. It’s an affliction, worthlessness, self-loathing, sour grapes.

1. * "couldn't" care less.

2. This "I only want the kids that want to play for my program" mentality is how you regulate yourself to mediocrity. If teams only took the players that wanted to play for them, there would be no reason to "recruit." Recruiting is by its nature, winning over people that aren't necessarily inclined to join you. That have to be convinced to get on board. e
It's the coaches job to convince players to get on board. The fact that you "could care less" that they are failing to do that with a local recruit with more connections to Pitt than would could dream, is kinda crazy.
These local kids that fall in love with ND because they watched with their daddies and dreamed of playing there since they were little kids will never be swayed to come to PItt. They are lost causes as far as Pitt is concerned, no need to waste time or money on them. Gauge interest, if it aint there, move on.

I love locals! Paris Ford is an example of the type of kid we need to come here. He liked the program and coaches and had faith he was going to the right place for him. We need more kids like this, who want to play for the home team, and are not swayed by some archaic tradition of a once proud university that has evolved into an average team over the years. Big Blake Zubovic is another example of a kid just like Kristofic, who wanted to stay home and play for Pitt.

We are going to get some and we are going to lose some. I prefer to discuss the ones who come to Pitt. I actually go to high school games and see these kids play. When they don't choose Pitt, I no longer root for them. There is a long list of locals who I hope flame out when they ignore their hometown school. I will add Kristofic to that list!

Reactions: FireballZ
I used to care about Pitt News back when I was living in Oakland. It was fun toilet-reading material. Also was great in a pinch as makeshift paper towels.

These days? Nah, I don't care much about Pitt News or the millennial voice, in general.

These local kids that fall in love with ND because they watched with their daddies and dreamed of playing there since they were little kids will never be swayed to come to PItt. They are lost causes as far as Pitt is concerned, no need to waste time or money on them. Gauge interest, if it aint there, move on.

I love locals! Paris Ford is an example of the type of kid we need to come here. He liked the program and coaches and had faith he was going to the right place for him. We need more kids like this, who want to play for the home team, and are not swayed by some archaic tradition of a once proud university that has evolved into an average team over the years. Big Blake Zubovic is another example of a kid just like Kristofic, who wanted to stay home and play for Pitt.

We are going to get some and we are going to lose some. I prefer to discuss the ones who come to Pitt. I actually go to high school games and see these kids play. When they don't choose Pitt, I no longer root for them. There is a long list of locals who I hope flame out when they ignore their hometown school. I will add Kristofic to that list!

We need more kids that don't actually have to be recruited, but instead already want to come here. Yeah, I'm sure every school in the country would love that to be the "recruiting" landscape. But it's not. That's why staffs get paid to recruit.

We need more kids that don't actually have to be recruited, but instead already want to come here. Yeah, I'm sure every school in the country would love that to be the "recruiting" landscape. But it's not. That's why staffs get paid to recruit.
There are kids who cream their jeans and piss their pants with excitement at the mention of ND football. The WPIAL has too many kids like this for my liking but, there are kids all over this country who fit into this category. These kids need to be identified so that our staff and university wastes as little time and money on these guys as possible. I wish their parents had enough money to send these kids to South Bend for their highschool years so they could be close to the shrine and worship from the time they are 14. Then people like you wouldn't cry because he would no longer be fom the WPIAL.

Reactions: cashisking884
Narduzzi simply can’t sell the program to top level local talent. He cleans up in December/January outside the area with targets whom are no longer options at their first choices. He better be a much better coach than dantoni if pitt wants to compete for an ACC title with Clemson of FSU in the future,

Narduzzi simply can’t sell the program to top level local talent. He cleans up in December/January outside the area with targets whom are no longer options at their first choices. He better be a much better coach than dantoni if pitt wants to compete for an ACC title with Clemson of FSU in the future,

We'll see about his coaching. I think he's doing a pretty good job on that front. Better even than your guy. Your boy Franklin leaves a lot to be desired, IMHO, on the game day coaching front. So far, he's been able to deflect that with his above average recruiting ability. Time will tell the overall results for both.

Reactions: cashisking884
ADVERTISEMENT