ADVERTISEMENT

Does anyone really think Pitt will make the tournament watching them play recently?

Until Dixon leaves--either voluntarily or involuntarily.

We haven't had a good team in 5 years. The guy is making around a top 20 salary and it just isn't happening. Several times over the last few seasons it has looked like his teams are either quitting in games or simply ignoring the coach.

Further, the hard core Dixon defenders really have no argument to make other than that his replacement could be worse--which is pretty much the last refuge in terms of defense for the status quo.

I'll say this--I'm pretty confident that we could get pretty much the same results Dixon has delivered for a lot less money in salary. I'm sure Archie Miller would take less money to make the tournament two times every five years. There's a lot of people living off of past glories. In the ACC, Dixon is essentially a .500 coach.

We would have to but out 6 years of his "Top 20 Salary" if we fired him.

That's more than $15 million.

It isn't happening. It simply isnt. People who think Jamie is going anywhere anytime soon are delusional.

He's 26-22 in the acc during a down cycle. His job is very safe.

They looked that way against NC St, Clemson, and L'Ville. I am willing to let the season play out.

I think we can still have a good season (10-8 ACC). There is only one truly bad team in this league: BC. It is extremely difficult for any team to win on the road. We have 2 road wins and 1 bad home loss. In my eyes we are still +1. I give us a chance to win versus Vir Tech, Geo Tech and Syr on the road and in all our home games (5). That is 8 games. I say we win 5.

It isn't happening. It simply isnt. People who think Jamie is going anywhere anytime soon are delusional.

I think you illustrated my point quite nicely. When the only argument you have for retaining the coach is that it would be too expensive to fire him, it's pretty much the definition of a change being "only a matter of time." That is, once it becomes less expensive (or he leaves for another job on his own).

Reactions: PittPoker
What would you call it? Bad against Louisville, bad against winless NC State at home, bad against FSU for a lot of the game but luckily came back from 10 down and bad tonight. Yeah I'd say it is freefall mode.

And even if we win 5 out of 11 as you say, the committee looks at a lot of factors, including how you finish down the stretch. Plus Pitt has not as of now beaten any top 20 teams. I think you are not looking at this accurately. Pitt is in deep trouble.

Before tonight, every bracketologist of note had pitt as a ncaa 6 seed. You think a loss on the road as an underdog to Clemson dropped them all the way out?

And I'm the one not looking at it accurately?

If Pitt wins 5 of the next 11, they are a lock. If they win 6 of the 11, they'll be wearing their white shirts for the first ncaa game.

21 and 10 are the magic numbers. Get there, and we're in.

VT, VT, Syr, GT, and Wake will be wins. UVa and Duke at home are possible, especially if Jefferson isn't back for Duke. Unc, Lville, and Miami are iffy.

1st acct game will be against a team like GT or Syr.

I'm down about our play tonight, but you know we'll beat VT this weekend, be 17-4/6-3 and then everybody's tune changes until the next loss.

Objectively, if the tourney started today, Pitt would be solidly in. That's the basis we're working from. Win five more and we're in.

Yeah... He won't be gone any time soon due all the $$ that's due to him...

What Dixon does need (& what Pitt can do for him) is getting him better assistants that can recruit & help the program out as a whole.

At this point, it's their "best" option.

Love your passion, UP89 and I hope that you're right. But I just don't see those 5 potential wins that you outline putting us in "lock" territory. They'd have only one "good" win, @ ND. And depending on how much time ND's PG misses, they may begin to slide themselves.

Reactions: PittPoker
I think you illustrated my point quite nicely. When the only argument you have for retaining the coach is that it would be too expensive to fire him, it's pretty much the definition of a change being "only a matter of time." That is, once it becomes less expensive (or he leaves for another job on his own).
Like we did with your mustachioed hero.

Before tonight, every bracketologist of note had pitt as a ncaa 6 seed. You think a loss on the road as an underdog to Clemson dropped them all the way out?

If Pitt wins 5 of the next 11, they are a lock. If they win 6 of the 11, they'll be wearing their white shirts for the first ncaa game.

VT, VT, Syr, GT, and Wake will be wins. UVa and Duke at home are possible, especially if Jefferson isn't back for Duke. Unc, Lville, and Miami are iffy.

I'm down about our play tonight, but you know we'll beat VT this weekend, be 17-4/6-3 and then everybody's tune changes until the next loss.

Objectively, if the tourney started today, Pitt would be solidly in. That's the basis we're working from. Win five more and we're in.
Of course as of tonight they are in BUT a lot of these national observers aren't watching Pitt very close. We are. The team is in disarray. They can't defend, can't score, and that's only some of their problems. Pitt is on track NOT to make the tournament.

Love your passion, UP89 and I hope that you're right. But I just don't see those 5 potential wins that you outline putting us in "lock" territory. They'd have only one "good" win, @ ND. And depending on how much time ND's PG misses, they may begin to slide themselves.
Included in those five wins would be road victories at Syracuse, VT, and GT. Not world beaters but good RPI wins.

I'm telling you... look at the resumes of teams that get in from P5 conferences the past 10 years.

21-9/10-8 would leave pitt with an RPI of 35ish. That's an ncaa absolute lock. There is literally zero doubt about it.

Now... the trick is GETTING to 21-9/10-8.

But if we do. Then we're in. Whatever you think the chances of pitt getting 5 more wins is... that's our odds of getting in.

Who knows. I dunno. I don't. I don't think anyone knows.

Look, I am not saying Jamie should be fired. Not at all. (Bill Barton, get the ruck out) did I day that out loud? Anyways....what I am saying, those who say no change can be mad based on where we came from before Howland/Dixon vs where we can, you can't hold onto that fear.

It's grin and bear it. Thanks, Nerdy, thanks, Pedey boy!

I like the confidence, road wins against Syracuse, GT, Wake and even VT. We will see.

Included in those five wins would be road victories at Syracuse, VT, and GT. Not world beaters but good RPI wins.

I'm telling you... look at the resumes of teams that get in from P5 conferences the past 10 years.

21-9/10-8 would leave pitt with an RPI of 35ish. That's an ncaa absolute lock. There is literally zero doubt about it.

Now... the trick is GETTING to 21-9/10-8.

But if we do. Then we're in. Whatever you think the chances of pitt getting 5 more wins is... that's our odds of getting in.

Just seems like a very Virginia Techie-type of resume to me from the Seth Greenburg days and they were always in the first out category.

I think they need to beat UVA and/or Duke. UVA looks like the best shot since Amile will be back by the time we play the Dookies.

Beating UVA and losing @ VT or @ Cuse, which would put us as 10-8, would have me feeling a little better, but I'd still be sweating it out the first ACCT game for certain.

Objectively, if the tourney started today, Pitt would be solidly in. That's the basis we're working from. Win five more and we're in.[/QUOTE

This team is quite capable of going in the dumper-they're lazy and soft. They may get it together and eke into the tournie but I wouldn't be shocked if they mailed it in. This team is completely devoid of leadership.

Of course as of tonight they are in BUT a lot of these national observers aren't watching Pitt very close. We are. The team is in disarray. They can't defend, can't score, and that's only some of their problems. Pitt is on track NOT to make the tournament.

Once again, going 2-3 in a 5 game stretch is not a team that is in frefall mode.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT