ADVERTISEMENT

Does anyone really think Pitt will make the tournament watching them play recently?

Not being reactive here, but this looks like the definition of an 8-8 ACC team to me. A streaky shooting squad that is really bothered by in-your-face defense. I just don't see better than 9-7 and I'm not sure that will get them in.

Time for a rebuild for this program. Jamie is overmatched in this conference, not recruiting the right people.

I love how after every loss people want a 75% winning percentage coach gone. This isn't fantasy basketball folks. Criticize all you want but you don't fire a guy who has a HOF winning percentage. It's just stupidity.

Reactions: jd99
They're lazy, soft, no leadership and essentially the same shabby crew that got tossed out of the NIT in the first round.

Yes. I think we'll make the dance. 21-9/10-8. We'll split our last 8... winning both against VT, at GT, and Wake. Win first in ACCT and lose the second.... 22-10 and a 8 thru 10 seed.

So yes. I think they'll make the dance.

I love how after every loss people want a 75% winning percentage coach gone. This isn't fantasy basketball folks. Criticize all you want but you don't fire a guy who has a HOF winning percentage. It's just stupidity.
Anyone know what his win % is in the big east and acc conference games?, probably still pretty decent.

They're lazy, soft, no leadership and essentially the same shabby crew that got tossed out of the NIT in the first round.
They looked that way against NC St, Clemson, and L'Ville. I am willing to let the season play out.

Reactions: gary2
JD I really respect you on here, you never insult and have great points.

That being said, it is much more than a simple 75% winning percentage
1)Team hasn't done much of anything in going on 5 years
2)A lot of those "wins" were/are against really bad ooc teams
3)Even when Jamie had top teams they underachieved
4)Recruiting has been really poor

Changes need to be made and whether that's some different assistants I don't know. But the buck starts and stops with the HC and even during the fun era Pitt teams didn't play like this over and over. It's on Jamie JD, it's on Jamie.
He is overmatched in this league.

Last edited:
We'll split our last 8.

I don't see us winning more than 2 more games if that.Which 4 games are we gonna split? Maybe maybe VT and maybe Wake Forest. With the way we are playing we could very easily lose our last 8.

I don't see us winning more than 2 more games if that.Which 4 games are we gonna split? Maybe maybe VT and maybe Wake Forest. With the way we are playing we could very easily lose our last 8.
They aren't losing their last 8. I guarantee you that.

Yes. I think we'll make the dance. 21-9/10-8. We'll split our last 8... winning both against VT, at GT, and Wake. Win first in ACCT and lose the second.... 22-10 and a 8 thru 10 seed.

So yes. I think they'll make the dance.

10-8 with no top 20 wins and our occ will not get us in.

Reactions: FireballZ
Losing 6 of 8, 5 of 8, 7 of 8 - is there really a difference? Team is in freefall mode.

A couple things. Pitt has ten ACC AGAMES LEFT, not 8, and going 2-3 in a 5 game stretch is not a freefall.

You have the emotional maturity of a two year old.

This team has one 4-star talent in Young. The rest are all 3-stars or less. Jamie getting the
best he can out of a less talented squad. If you compare the talent level from team to team in the ACC and Pitt is at the bottom really lagging behind. It's hard to win consistently when you have the type of players Pitt has. No inside big to feed, no outside shooting guard, nobody who can penetrate and dish. Just to many handicaps to overcome against the talent Pitt will face in ACC. This Pitt team cannot take a night off with the talent level they have and expect to beat any good team as well as bottom feeders. The players have to be sky high and playing at the top of their games in order to have a chance to win. The good programs can take a night off and win but not a Pitt program. JD is a good coach but plain and simple needs a major upgrade in talent. Needs to fill in the handicaps mentioned above so we can become more consistent and able to match up with other teams. I agree I believe Pitt will finish 5oo% at best and just miss the tournament.

Reactions: PittPoker
This team has one 4-star talent in Young. The rest are all 3-stars or less. Jamie getting the
best he can out of a less talented squad. If you compare the talent level from team to team in the ACC and Pitt is at the bottom really lagging behind. It's hard to win consistently when you have the type of players Pitt has. No inside big to feed, no outside shooting guard, nobody who can penetrate and dish. Just to many handicaps to overcome against the talent Pitt will face in ACC. This Pitt team cannot take a night off with the talent level they have and expect to beat any good team as well as bottom feeders. The players have to be sky high and playing at the top of their games in order to have a chance to win. The good programs can take a night off and win but not a Pitt program. JD is a good coach but plain and simple needs a major upgrade in talent. Needs to fill in the handicaps mentioned above so we can become more consistent and able to match up with other teams. I agree I believe Pitt will finish 5oo% at best and just miss the tournament.
Agree except for the .500 prediction - think it will be worse.

Hey, if this team keeps up their trend of being undefeated on the weekends, we'll be dancing for sure. They just aren't weekday type of peoples.

Losing 6 of 8, 5 of 8, 7 of 8 - is there really a difference? Team is in freefall mode.
Free fall mode?

Holy shit. Lost 3 out of 5. That's not anywhere close to a free fall.

They needed to split these two road games and they did. Yes, they were really bad tonight... but they only have to win 5 of the next 11 to securely be in. And they will.

Reactions: gary2
Matter of time for what?

Until Dixon leaves--either voluntarily or involuntarily.

We haven't had a good team in 5 years. The guy is making around a top 20 salary and it just isn't happening. Several times over the last few seasons it has looked like his teams are either quitting in games or simply ignoring the coach.

Further, the hard core Dixon defenders really have no argument to make other than that his replacement could be worse--which is pretty much the last refuge in terms of defense for the status quo.

I'll say this--I'm pretty confident that we could get pretty much the same results Dixon has delivered for a lot less money in salary. I'm sure Archie Miller would take less money to make the tournament two times every five years. There's a lot of people living off of past glories. In the ACC, Dixon is essentially a .500 coach.

5-6 in the next 11 is definitely not a guaranteed dance ticket because that means they'd be one-and-done in the ACCT.

Beating VTx2, WF, Cuse and GT won't do it...

Reactions: PittPoker
Free fall mode?

What would you call it? Bad against Louisville, bad against winless NC State at home, bad against FSU for a lot of the game but luckily came back from 10 down and bad tonight. Yeah I'd say it is freefall mode.

And even if we win 5 out of 11 as you say, the committee looks at a lot of factors, including how you finish down the stretch. Plus Pitt has not as of now beaten any top 20 teams. I think you are not looking at this accurately. Pitt is in deep trouble.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT