ADVERTISEMENT

Dokish is absolutely right

matt15301

Walk-on
Nov 18, 2012
Look no further than Cuse....

They’re an excellent example of what scheduling a relatively soft OCC can do for you....ranked #13 now! OCC of Western Michigan, Wagner, and UConn. Similar to Pitt with their 2 OT tight game against UNC (albeit squeaked it out) and close loss to Top 4 team in Clemson. (ND for Pitt).

Cuse beat a ranked NC State, while Pitt has beat them AND ranked UVA. What’s the difference? 7-2 more aesthetically pleasing than 5-4. And I’m willing to bet Pitt would be 7-2 with an OCC that Cuse has. So how could anyone argue his point with Cuse beating down the door of the Top 10

Dokish blocked me after the UNC game for asking him a question about his thoughts on the coaching. Wish i could still view his tweets, his takes on Pitt and CFB are second to none.

Dokish blocks everyone, if you dont agree with him.
Anyways according to the AP, the rankings are a joke and it benefits a team to schedule no one. Pathetic poll .

Reactions: quip and Jpripper88

They’re an excellent example of what scheduling a relatively soft OCC can do for you....ranked #13 now! OCC of Western Michigan, Wagner, and UConn. Similar to Pitt with their 2 OT tight game against UNC (albeit squeaked it out) and close loss to Top 4 team in Clemson. (ND for Pitt).

Cuse beat a ranked NC State, while Pitt has beat them AND ranked UVA. What’s the difference? 7-2 more aesthetically pleasing than 5-4. And I’m willing to bet Pitt would be 7-2 with an OCC that Cuse has. So how could anyone argue his point with Cuse beating down the door of the Top 10

Syracuse won at Western Michigan. We lost at UCF. They beat UConn. We lost to Penn State. We lost at ND, they didn't play them yet.

Of course, our ACC losses are a bit different.

100% we should be playing 3 easy W games. A few years ago, NC State went 2-6 but won 4 G5 games to make a bowl

Reactions: Panther_in_Kentucky
That is why I say, half or more of the ranked teams are complete frauds. But.....in college football, perception becomes reality. You do that enough, and all of a sudden you become say, Wisconsin. You get the benefit of the doubt, you get ranked highly preseason, but you are an average team. But you are treated like a power. You build a fanbase, etc......

That is why I say, half or more of the ranked teams are complete frauds. But.....in college football, perception becomes reality. You do that enough, and all of a sudden you become say, Wisconsin. You get the benefit of the doubt, you get ranked highly preseason, but you are an average team. But you are treated like a power. You build a fanbase, etc......

Absolutely, positively, 100% correct...

Because I'm bored at work, Western Michigan is 6-4 this year. The MAC stinks and their out of conference wins were awful. They have beaten 2 teams with 1 win, 2 teams with 2 wins, one team with 3 wins, and one team with 5 wins.

Wagner is 2-7 and UCONN is 1-8. So their out-of-conference opponents' record is 9-19 with their ND game coming up.

Our out-of-conference schedule, if you count ND, has one team that is 8-0, one team that is 9-0, one at 6-3, and one at 2-7. Our out-of-conference opponents' record is 25-10.

I would watch Pitt against anyone in person. Many Pitt fans complain about going to games against "weak" opponents. Syracuse doesn't draw well, either, but decided to play a weak schedule to build up wins. Honest question, which would you rather have? Wins or games against good teams where we could lose?

I agree. VA Tech, during their later years in the Big East and in the ACC did this, too. Horrible out-of-conference schedule, play the weak teams in the conference first, get highly ranked, then lose 3 or 4 of the remaining games to end the season. Then, get pre-season ranked again, and repeat.

Look, we will not be in contention for the National Championship anytime soon. Let's stock up on the wins and not worry about the strength of schedule.

If Cuse beats ND, and they might, they could finish the season ranked in the top 10 (easily). Do teams still receive automatic bids to one of the larger bowl games if they finished ranked in the top 10 (or 12?).

The problem this year is we had to play a UCF team that is vastly better than the UCF team that we scheduled at the time. That being said having two teams like ND and UPS on the schedule the same year shouldn't be the plan going forward.

Reactions: oldbastard

Rutgers's glory days were also built on 4 easy OOC games

I think most people on this board have been saying this for years and years. 100% agree also and how big of a difference would that make and perception in recruiting and fan behavior in fan turn out? It would help in all those areas and really the only gain is typically one game that is sold out per year

If Cuse beats ND, and they might, they could finish the season ranked in the top 10 (easily). Do teams still receive automatic bids to one of the larger bowl games if they finished ranked in the top 10 (or 12?).
If they beat notre dame, they’ll deserve accolades.

Their best wins are against what turns out to be a bad FSU team and an above average ncsu team

Yes, if they beat ND and BC and finish 10-2, they easily finish in the Top 12 and get a spot in either the Peach or Fiesta. That could also help Pitt get a better bowl.

Reactions: JSSTartan
It used to be a "top ten". If you were in, you were pretty good Nd likely deserving

Far more acceptable than a top 25.

But then....everybody gets a trophy these days.

I’m softening a bit on my stance with scheduling hard. Not going where you guys are but somewhere in middle. Got to find that balance between easy and entertaining.

My position is build a program first. Sure, maybe schedule the "local" rival like WVU or ND, but the other 3 OOC games cupcakes, Eastern Michigan, Buffalo, Army or something like that.

Not to mention a bit of a buzz for a team winning more games.

Say what you want about fan apathy and Heinz field, but Pitt always pulls a nice local audience for TV.

That has to translate in some small manner to more fans at HF

Reactions: Jpripper88
I will say this for the 1001st time. Until this program is on stable ground. We need W’s if that is Villanova Duquesne and Youngstown st. So be it. Losing to OK st. Ped St. Does nothing for us but kill momentum and kills the interest in the team. At the end of the year talking heads say hey look at Pitt they are 9-3 or 10-2. Nobody goes back and talks about the schedule. I would get WVU every year and ND the years we play this in the Acc, after that rent a victim. Most other teams do it so should we.

LOL at Pitt playing 7 ranked teams per year when Alabama plays 1 ranked team per year.

-Sorry Bama fans, you cant pump Texas A&M anymore, they have the same amount of losses as Pitt. At least Pitt beat 1 ranked team. Texas A&M is a complete fraud

-Syracuse is a far superior football team then Pitt because they are smarter. Non Conference Power schedule U aka Pitt is fighting to reach a bowl game while another team, aka Syracuse, is about to reach Top 10 Nationally Ranked.

Reactions: PittPanthers90
LOL at Pitt playing 7 ranked teams per year when Alabama plays 1 ranked team per year.

-Sorry Bama fans, you cant pump Texas A&M anymore, they have the same amount of losses as Pitt. At least Pitt beat 1 ranked team. Texas A&M is a complete fraud

-Syracuse is a far superior football team then Pitt because they are smarter. Non Conference Power schedule U aka Pitt is fighting to reach a bowl game while another team, aka Syracuse, is about to reach Top 10 Nationally Ranked.

Why do you keep beating this drum? At the end of the day, when Alabama wins another title, who will care? Will Alabama fans? Their donors? Recruits? Will their weak schedule actually matter when they win title after title?

Why do you keep beating this drum? At the end of the day, when Alabama wins another title, who will care? Will Alabama fans? Their donors? Recruits? Will their weak schedule actually matter when they win title after title?

-I care because its not equal. Thats why I like ice hockey, you cant cheat to win playing fraud schedules.

Reactions: PittPanthers90
-Nah. I dont hate Bama. They just game a rigged system for fools like you.

-Cant rig it in ice hockey, not possible. Go Pens

How exactly am I fool? Because I can acknowledge that Bama has an awesome program that wins a ton of NCs? That's the point. Unequal system or not, they succeed year after year.

You're the one wasting energy comparing them to a team from the 90s.

Honest question, which would you rather have? Wins or games against good teams where we could lose?
I used to be in the “games against good teams” camp. However, based on how college football now works, I want wins.

-Nah. I dont hate Bama. They just game a rigged system for fools like you.

-Cant rig it in ice hockey, not possible. Go Pens

First off all, who calls it "ice hockey"? Secondly, what makes "ice hockey" (aka the NHL) any different than the NFL, the NBA or MLB as far as not being able to "rig the system"? So you are saying "Pro Sports, right?"

Even college basketball, is it "rigged" too?

Your takes are just well confusing.

But if Pitt is 7-2 now with a chance to win the coastal, the attendanc would be much better than what it will probably this weekend when you need it more.

-Its already proven in 2009 with attendance. Only old idiots on this board want to play 9 ranked teams per year then bitxch about the record.

Also, when you play those poor teams, you can play them at home. You don’t have to agree to a home and home to schedule Albany. Alabama has played one ranked OOC team on the road since 2005. We played two this season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT