ADVERTISEMENT

emory Taylor

No info but just my impression that he isn't a scholarship guy. He is a state champ but the competition isn't that great and from what i have seen from the limited matches from him at national events haven't been that overwhelming. However, he will probably a 125 or 133 and who knows with having consistent high level partners maybe he will make a big jump

Reactions: lucac
Emory is a 3 time state champ. Going for 4 time next week. Has been a 2x national prep placer. His high school has a very good wrestling program, thus he has some decent training.

Reactions: jctrack
Emory is a 3 time state champ. Going for 4 time next week. Has been a 2x national prep placer. His high school has a very good wrestling program, thus he has some decent training.

Thank you for the info. Hope I didn't sound too down on the kid just wouldn't expect much out of him for at least a few years. If I was relating this to football recruiting he would be like a two-star or PWO level. Obviously you can be successful with that level of kid and I will be rooting for him.

Wrestling scholarships are very different than football for those that are unaware. Typically guys get a % of a scholarship so its kind of tricky unless you know for sure what a kid is receiving. Pitt can only hand out 9.9 scholarships. Just speculating but in regards to Emory I would assume he is receiving a small percentage if anything. It is even possible the coaches told him if he wins a 4th title his percentage will increase and that is why nothing was ever officially signed or released on social media from Pitt's end

9.9 scholarship allotment for a sport with technically 10 starting positions is an absolute joke... they should have a minimum of 12 if not 13/14... but it has and will always be related as a 3rd class sport and that's a shame as wrestling is an absolutely great and worthy sport for more appreciation... more schollys would reward such... but I digress... Hail 2 Pitt

9.9 scholarship allotment for a sport with technically 10 starting positions is an absolute joke... they should have a minimum of 12 i
9.9 scholarship allotment for a sport with technically 10 starting positions is an absolute joke... they should have a minimum of 12 if not 13/14... but it has and will always be related as a 3rd class sport and that's a shame as wrestling is an absolutely great and worthy sport for more appreciation... more schollys would reward such... but I digress... Hail 2 Pitt

How does Penn State recruit as well as it does with the 9.9 scholarships? Would any talented wrestler go to PSU on a partial or no scholarship when another school offered more in terms of aid? Apparently so but difficult to comprehend.

How does Penn State recruit as well as it does with the 9.9 scholarships? Would any talented wrestler go to PSU on a partial or no scholarship when another school offered more in terms of aid? Apparently so but difficult to comprehend.
Alot of the graduates work for their training program after graduation and are paid for it doing clinics and such. They also have some of the best training partners in the country and thier ego's want to be the best of the best.

Just an example but Verkleeren walked on at PSU. I can't remember all the details but i know he was committed to Iowa State and switched to PSU as a walkon. Kid was probably ranked in the top 25 of his class if not higher

Reactions: persp
Yes they pay them on the back end, which is somehow legal.
They make it legal by not writing down a guarantee that the recruit can stay on with wrestling club making mo ey to pay off their college loan.

They make it legal by not writing down a guarantee that the recruit can stay on with wrestling club making mo ey to pay off their college loan.

right, I know it's not technically illegal but it seems unethical to basically promise money after you finish. I don't know how they would even close that loophole, but until they do PSU can load up their roster with good guys on little or no scholarship money. It's a big advantage.

Yes they pay them on the back end, which is somehow legal.

This is a random analogue, but as you might know, Ivy schools aren't allowed to give athletic scholarships. Or they all agreed not to, or whatever, something along those lines.

Anyway, there's a fraternity at Columbia that is basically the entire basketball team. That chapter has a non-profit foundation that gets donations, and that endows the scholarships such that they're going to school for free but it's technically not an athletic scholarship.

So yeah, I'm sure that the PSUs and the Iowas of the world have something similar. No one in their top 20 pays a dime.

This is a random analogue, but as you might know, Ivy schools aren't allowed to give athletic scholarships. Or they all agreed not to, or whatever, something along those lines.

Anyway, there's a fraternity at Columbia that is basically the entire basketball team. That chapter has a non-profit foundation that gets donations, and that endows the scholarships such that they're going to school for free but it's technically not an athletic scholarship.

So yeah, I'm sure that the PSUs and the Iowas of the world have something similar. No one in their top 20 pays a dime.
Yeah schools can get creative to attract talent. It happens all the way down to D3 too. I had an "offer" from Thiel to play golf there. They didnt give scholarships but they had some grant and aid options that would have taken a 28k/yr tuition (1997) and made it around 3k for me.

Reactions: Mikefln

PSU has the most money in their wrestling club so they're the main ones doing it in wrestling. I didn't know that about Ivy League basketball.

Yeah schools can get creative to attract talent. It happens all the way down to D3 too. I had an "offer" from Thiel to play golf there. They didnt give scholarships but they had some grant and aid options that would have taken a 28k/yr tuition (1997) and made it around 3k for me.
funny, i had a deal with my sons anybody wins a scholarship i use the money i would have paid for a car of thier choice within reason. Visited Thiel and basically would have been a free ride to wrestle. On the trip back to pittsburgh he wanted a Corvette. He ended up wrestling at Duquesne and got money but not nearly what thiel offered, no way a freshman was getting a corvette. I should have purhchased him a used pink cadilacs from one of those makeup ladies. That would have been justice.

funny, i had a deal with my sons anybody wins a scholarship i use the money i would have paid for a car of thier choice within reason. Visited Thiel and basically would have been a free ride to wrestle. On the trip back to pittsburgh he wanted a Corvette. He ended up wrestling at Duquesne and got money but not nearly what thiel offered, no way a freshman was getting a corvette. I should have purhchased him a used pink cadilacs from one of those makeup ladies. That would have been justice.
That dry campus is just a dealbreaker haha

My nephew is a senior paying $11k at a over $45k per year D3 school for football. My niece is at the same school paying low $30s. Back in his recruitment all the PAC schools offered him deals that made them cheaper than the PSAC (publics, the privates in the league are different) schools who despite offering scholarships are not very well funded, therefore their packages were not that great.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT