ADVERTISEMENT

Excuses

PittPoker

Board of Trustee
Gold Member
Feb 4, 2008
I love that people comment "if the shots fall, we can beat anyone." Thanks for the deep insight. I've also heard that you usually win when you score more points than your opponent.

The excuses will continue to come, much like they have the last few years; e.g. Pitt isn't Duke, Kentucky, etc. and won't ever be, but gosh darnit, we're proud that Dixon's kids graduate and that he runs a clean program. Or the mantra of Dixon supporters; we're going to be better next year when these guys have more experience.

Okay, so Dixon's prior success and overall record will keep him at Pitt until he decides to leave. That's what a few people on here keep claiming. Due to the fact that he gets 20 or so wins every year, it's not fair to say he's a bad coach, but the truth is that he's plateaued...like six years ago. Add in that Pitt isn't a perennial power program (at least not anymore), and the reality dawns on you: getting 20 wins and being a Top 50 team makes it hard to justify firing him. Pitt has been good under Dixon but it's been a while, in coaching terms, since we were great.

Congratulations Jamie Dixon; you rode the last great players to wear Pitt uniforms to a disappointing Elite Eight loss and coasted on that achievement. Now, six plus years later, with a problematic recruiting weakness and a coach unable to adapt to the talent he can recruit, we find Pitt basketball has sunk back into the middle of the pack with your trademark season repeated year after year. Meaning: win early over cupcakes, beat a quality team or two, lose to a handful of lesser teams, go one-and-done in any and all post season tournaments, and leave the fans hoping that next year will be the one that will finally get Pitt to the Final Four. Notice I didn't even say "win the championship" because I'm not that delusional.

Pitt basketball desperately needs a fresh approach, but it won't happen until Dixon decides he's padded his stats enough to ride into the sunset as the Greatest Coach in Pitt History." Yay.

I think I read he still has 7 years left on his contract. That, more than anything, will keep him here for at least a few more years. I realize there's an entirely new administration but I don't think they'd bite the bullet just yet.

And I, for one, find your comment about repeating quite amusing.

Reactions: PittPoker
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT